Old 11-06-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry to hear about the job Kell,
Congrats BrOOksie

D
Old 11-06-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Guess who just went to her first AA meeting? This lady!

Everyone was incredibly welcoming, not to mention normal looking. It was reeeeeally weird to say, "I am Grace and I am an alcoholic." That is going to take some getting used to. But it's the truth, so get used to it I will.

Fish, did you find a meeting to try?
Old 11-06-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
Booya!!!
Old 11-06-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So Kell, are you at your job now? I would also be infuriated and hurt. It will get better I promise, especially if you become preoccupied with finding a new job

Argh I am having a lovely couch day and I was just invited to a thing tonight that is related to art and precedes some events coming up this weekend. For networking purposes it has always felt really important to me to go, but I just don't feeeeeel like it. Am I just being stubborn? Lazy? I always feel great when I go to these things...
Old 11-06-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good morning all

Feeling much better this morning. I am thankful for AA. The meeting last night really grounded me. Its weird to even type that. I have heard it from other AA members and I thought they were nutty. I guess I am too. Also, I went for my first run in weeks this morning. No pain, yay ! Hopefully, it means I can build running back into my routine (though I do enjoy cycling again). I must admit I have been very lethargic about my job hunt. I keep daydreaming that a job will fall into my lap though in my entire career that has never happened. I need to snap out of that and focus.

Kell: oh, I feel for you. The truth is that it isn't personal just like my redundancy. The company is simply cutting costs. I know that may not mean much when you are out of a job but its important as it isn't a reflection of you or your abilities. Try and adopt a positive attitude, it wont make finding a new job quicker but at least it is much more bearable

Br00ksie: yay on 40 days !!

Catch up on the earlier posts later !

Have a good one folks ! Thanks to all !!
Old 11-06-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Right now I am taking it so personal. Everyone keeps telling me its not personal but I feel like I was kicked in the gut. I've been crying all morning and can't get myself focused.
On top of it all the other person on my team that handles the same things I do? Somehow she got a "save". They transferred her to a new job. So that leaves me with ALL the work and training someone else. I am so angry, sad and scared.
Kell, I live in the corporate world too. Don't assume they keep the best people. In fact, they usually keep the biggest kiss-asses who won't give them any trouble while they totally screw over a bunch of people. People who take orders without question, people who are the stupidest about their job because they won't question dumb decisions, people who are unthreatening, even people who are just the friends of another manager's boss and they are kissing more ass.

Believe everyone when they say it isn't personal. It really isn't. And it's probably a measure of your character that they want you to train a stooge. They know you are knowledgeable I bet.

Corporations are dumb. Don't let them determine your worth.

You have some time.....find a great job!!

But for today, give yourself some care. It really does bite. Ouch.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you Grace! It does take a bit of getting used to but I really enjoy and feel a part of the AA meetings now.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Fuggin sh*tty economy! SO sorry to hear that, Kell! I was laid off/my position was emilinated last November, so I TOTALLY relate to how you feel, and the uncertainty can be stressful-

BUT-

In retrospect, it was the BEST thing that EVER happened to me!! It allowed me to focus on MYSELF and MY PRIORITIES and gave me a clean slate to do whatever I wanted. My unemployment insurance, while a considerable pay cut, gave me the cushion I needed to take some time for myself while I figured things out!

I wasn't sober at the time, but being laid off DEFINITELY lead me to sobriety! Had I continued to work there, I wouldn't have had the experience with drinking/smoking that I NEEDED to push me into the rooms!

You are definitely a step AHEAD of me, as I spent a good 9 months of my unemployment drowning in a pool of booze/cloud of smoke before sobering up/taking any sort of action!

Since being laid off, I have started on a new career path that is actually coming into fruition! What sobriety HAS done for me is allow me to show up/be present for opportunities when they have presented themselves.

It's okay to take a moment to grieve the loss of your job without feeling guilty about it, but it is also the time to really think about what YOU WANT moving forward, and channel the restless energy that you may be feeling into coming up with a plan for yourself!

((((Kellbell))))

Sending love and prayers!
Old 11-06-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry kell. I'm not sure what I'd do if they asked me to train my outsourced replacement. Possibly refuse and have them fire me and get unemployment.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Everyone was incredibly welcoming, not to mention normal looking. It was reeeeeally weird to say, "I am Grace and I am an alcoholic." That is going to take some getting used to. But it's the truth, so get used to it I will.
Woooo hoooo! OH yeah!! Uh huh!!!

(In other words, congrats on a good first AA experience! Saying "I'm an alcoholic" out loud DOES get easier. At this point it is as automatic as saying my name!)
Old 11-06-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post
Argh I am having a lovely couch day and I was just invited to a thing tonight that is related to art and precedes some events coming up this weekend. For networking purposes it has always felt really important to me to go, but I just don't feeeeeel like it. Am I just being stubborn? Lazy? I always feel great when I go to these things...
Plenny- Will there be alcohol at the event?

If you think you're up for it and can handle the possibility of being around booze, then I say GO FOR IT!! I think you'll come home feeling better about your day.

On the flip side, if it's too soon to be around booze without feeling resentful (or anything else negative), then I say enjoy your lovely couch day to the fullest!

Only YOU can honestly determine which is best for you, though!
Old 11-06-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Okay I found me a meeting for 8 o'clock tonight .. The end of the road Gang .

Thanks for the link Brooksie.

Sorry to hear the news Kell

I'm awful tired from jumping through traffic all day. ;/) Lillian your too funny.

Take it easy on that leg Kane.. Is it tomorrow or yesterday where you're at?

I'm sorry to hear that so many people are having problems in their personal lives when you are here trying to improve your life and get away from the demon alcohol. I know it's tough but bad times shall pass good times will arrive.

Space Station I just don't know what to say I hope you're safe and I hope you did the right thing.

Melina what's cooking?

Renarde I hope you eventually kick this bug in the butt and get to feeling better.

I'm sorry if I missed anybody but my brain seems to be foggy now days I must have done too much damage to my brain in the 70's with my checkered pharmaceutical past.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post

Plenny, can you go for just a while and promise yourself that if you are not feeling it after, say, an hour, then you can leave? It might be worth giving it a try.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by FishnHippy View Post
Okay I found me a meeting for 8 o'clock tonight .. The end of the road Gang .

Thanks for the link Brooksie.
Hooraay, Fishy!! Glad it was helpful and that you found a meeting!!

Even if you get home and decide you're too tired to go (I hope you go ANYWAY!!! ), the meeting website is a great resource and will always be there for future reference!
Old 11-06-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I work for the same company for 22 years never called in sick never late to work but I finally maxed out my pay scale. I had ordered my boat the company that I bought it from called me at lunch on Friday and said we have your boat. I hung up from that phone call got a call from my boss said 4 o'clock meeting. I had just got done with a3 million dollar expansion project to our facility I went to the meeting and they said we have all the bugs worked out I said is good to go. Then they said we're sorry we have to make some major cutbacks you've done a great job here but your services are no longer needed. But they gave me a six months severance package with full pay and insurance in addition to if they had any problems I would advise them at $40 an hour. Almost sent my boat back but kept it. I spent the next 45 days riding in that boat getting drunk feeling sorry for myself. But a couple months later I found out this is one of the best things that ever happened to me so don't get down companies do what they gotta do it has nothing to do with you.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Plenny, can you go for just a while and promise yourself that if you are not feeling it after, say, an hour, then you can leave? It might be worth giving it a try.
Agreed! One of my personal rules for any event where I know drugs/alcohol will be is-

GO LATE AND LEAVE EARLY! xo
Old 11-06-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks all, Sometimes people bring beer but it's never really about booze at these particular get togethers. I just feel LAZY
I might be upset with myself for not going...
Old 11-06-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Uninvited View Post
I'm so sorry kell. I'm not sure what I'd do if they asked me to train my outsourced replacement. Possibly refuse and have them fire me and get unemployment.
You have no idea how bad I want to tell them to shove it. But with three kids(one in college!) and a mortgage payment I best go with the flow until I find another job.

I plan to get my resume updated and begin aggressively searching right away. The sooner I can get out of that place the better!

But today I'm just going to lay in bed and cry and feel sorry for myself
Right now I don't feel like drinking. Too sad. But I'm definately on alert for cravings this weekend. And I'll stay close.

Thank you so much for all the words of encouragement. It truly means the world!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Grace

Great to hear that you felt fine in your first AA meeting. It can be quite nerve wracking for newcomers. I hope that you find AA useful as part of your program. Just sit through a few different meetings and let the stories permeate through. There isnt a rush to find a sponsor or do the steps. When you're ready, you will know.

Fishy

Good luck in your first AA meeting ! Thanks for the concern about my leg. It seems fine and I did take it a bit easier this morning. Btw, its Thursday morning here