Old 01-01-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yer looking at it Bimm lol.

Happy New Year

D
Old 01-01-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I'm good. Quiet new years eve. Hubby went to a friends and spent the night. He didn't make it home till 4 pm today...but that was fine by me. He said he got sick and threw up at the friends house..because he didnt take his medication...hmm.....

We did shoot off some fun fireworks last night before he left. My labs are not afraid and in fact one of them gets really excited and wants to chase them....crazy!

Hubby did go 30 days without drinking..so he has that going for him. Who knows what he will do now.

Mom is here in two weeks. Today my daughter and I painted a wall in her new dining room. Its a pretty bright orange. Sounds nuts, but its beautiful and cheery. Her place is coming together well!

Back to work tomorrow. Joy.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Happy New Year everybody! Another year in the can. I hope this next one will be very productive.

We stayed in! First time ever. It was great. We had my brother over (who is a recovering alcoholic with two weeks sober--ugh. But I didn't want him to be alone on New Years, and he had a nice night I think and we went for a walk this morning.) and got thai takeout and went to a neighbour's for a bit.

Well off to bed for me. Take care everyone. :group hug: <----us.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

That was meant to be

<------us
Old 01-02-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Happy New Year everyone!
Old 01-03-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

Happy New Year! We stayed in and had a nice, low key night on New Year's Eve.

Realizing I have not been reading here as much as I used to and since I do not go to AA or have any other support system, that I had better catch up on my overall SR reading just to be safe. Funny how that works....Have been having these momentary flashes where I entertain the idea that maybe I could have a glass of wine one day. But thankfully the advice I read on the SR site that emphasized of "playing the tape till the end" pops up and I snap out of it. Still, I'm spending some time this a.m. reading....I need it right now.

Like many on the east coast, we have a lot of snow. Just hoping our electric does not go out.Glad to be home because of the weather today. Hope none of you have to be out in bad weather. If you do, be careful.

Has anyone seen American Hustle? We saw it last week, thought it was great.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I remember that "play the tape through" advice being really, really helpful to me when I first came on here and you're right about not forgetting that stuff or getting complacent, Van. I have "moments", too, when I think about it, and playing the tape through is still totally relevant. It might be a bit of a long tape, but eventually I would end up right back where I was before I quit. Or maybe it wouldn't be a long tape at all, maybe it would take me one day to completely fall off the rails.

Glad to see you Darren! Happy New Year to you too! How have you been?

Where is everyone else! Marine, how was New Year's for you?

I've started writing a book, maybe. I started writing about my personal experiences including with drinking yesterday and wrote over 2,000 words in an uninterrupted stream. I seem to have hit a vein. And I'm going to write more. I am so lucky to have the freedom to work on whatever projects I want to right now. (Because I'm a not-very-busy freelancer at the moment. Double-edged sword.)
Old 01-04-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Thanks for your insights, InParticular. 2,000 words is a healthy start, good for you.

And yes, happy new year to everyone.

Tres, meant to mention earlier that the orange color sounds cheery. One of the rooms in our house is painted a sort of burn orange (which sounds horrible, but it is really pretty). I found it hard to match curtains and things but finally settled on touches of wedgewod blue and some browns and whites. I agree with you, orange can be really chilly.

On a side note, I read the memoir, "Orange is the New Black" this weekend. It was good, interesting.

Have a good night everyone.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Happy New Year, everyone! Hope all are safe and sound and if you are in the areas where the weather is bitter cold, stay warm!

I am now down in the sunny Caribbean ... got here on the 29th of December. Spent New Years Eve in my apartment watching Dick Clark's Rocking New Year's Eve. Couldn't handle the free flowing booze at all the parties, though I was invited to one in the apartment next door, but there was TONS of booze flowing and I suspect a few other things as well. I had a very bad cold, so a good excuse not to go.

Things are going okay so far, though I have to say I am "romancing the drink" a lot. I have been reading on SR, e-AA, and participating in an online AA meeting here and there. There are NO face to face meetings here. It is tough being around these beach bars and everyone is drinking. I am learning a lot about myself...again. The one beach bar that I used to love to go to and listen to Reggae on Sunday's...well, today I left after about 2 hours. Watching everyone drunk off their a$$ and dancing like fools (much like I used to do!) did not sit well with me. I had a few Diet Cokes and came back to the apartment and played "Candy Crush" on my iPad. Anyone else addicted to that game?

I also did not feel like socializing, which is a big "look out" trigger in AA. Apparently that is a sign of a trip into relapse land. NOT gonna happen to me. I will have 9 months on January 22nd. Have an online meeting coming up in a few minutes, though I do need to meet and make some friends so I don't isolate.

Anyway, I start working from here tomorrow - so far everything seems to work. Internet, phone, computer. It's going to be an adventure, that's for sure.

A friend and her husband are coming for a visit in two weeks and then I have to fly back to the US first week of Feb for a meeting and then my mom is coming to visit for 3-weeks.

I think this 3-months is going to fly by fast. I also think I need to settle down after this trip. I have tried a few scenarios, from staying at home, to living in Florida, to living part time in the Caribbean. Time to decide what I want to be when I grow up.

Bye for now. Glad everyone had a nice New Year's.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi marine - happy new year

Weird they don't have any meeting there - glad you thought of online meetings

D
Old 01-05-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Hey all, doing fine here. I went to a meeting yesterday. It was packed. Probably 60 women. That is great! I always feel good when I leave.

Hubby started back to his ways. Slightly under control, but still doing the same. Went to cornhole at the neighbors today and drank. Drank a few last night and of course on NYE. What day is it...the 5th? He is off to a great start. He said he didn't feel any better not drinking for those 30 days.

Weather today was beautiful..played with the dogs outside, sat on the dock. Two doors down the teenagers were wearing bikinis..it was that warm.

Back to work tomorrow..yipee.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Marine---is there no community centre there? Any type of entertainment or community other than in bars? A recreation centre? Why don't you try getting into fitness--I'm sure there are fitness clubs there at least and you will meet the healthiest people and probably non-drinkers.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Resident Curmudgeon

I thought I'd check-in before this thread dropped onto page 2.

marine-pls send some of that balmy island weather my why. Much like the rest of the eastern US, we've been freezing our butts off here...even went -5F. for a night or two and that hardly ever happens in these parts. Having lived in Minnesota and Iowa for a number of years, I realize that is "shorts-weather", but...

Tres- When is Mom arriving? I have no advice regarding hubby, but he's in denial and won't change until he wants to change...each of us on SR has been there.

IP-keep pursuing your dreams.

Not much else is new. The docs are continuing to adjust my medication as some of the relatively minor side effects are quite annoying. I knew there was a reason I avoided meds for so long. That said, between not drinking and attending to a couple of medical situations, I feel better than I have in years.

My diet continues and I drop a lb or two/week. Only 6 more to reach goal.

Enjoy your weekends.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good weekend gang

D
Old 01-12-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Thanks for the idea about the fitness center, IP. I had checked a few out (they were dumps) but mentioned this to a couple from Kansas City whom I met and they gave me a lead on a "gym" that a local guy runs out of his house. They have been going there for years, its in a safe neighborhood, blah blah. I am going to go check it out tomorrow. It will help me keep off the pounds I am sure to pack on with all of the eating I am doing. LOL.

Anyway, would like everyone's opinion on something. I was thinking of having a little get together here at the apartment for some of the people I have met who, like me, are also here for a couple of months. Even for a few of THEIR friends whom I have not met. I figure it is a good way to socialize and meet new friends.

Seeing that I do not drink and all I have told these people is "I don't drink", what should I do for a party? Should I buy beer/wine, etc. for the Guests to drink? Should I make it BYOB? Having the stuff in the house to serve to guests would not bother me and I would just send any leftover booze home with them.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks and have a great week.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

My house is an alcohol free zone, so I'll leave it to others to suggest Marine

D
Old 01-12-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

BYOB, and provide sparkling waters and juices. No one has ever had a problem with that at our place.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Resident Curmudgeon

Marine-

We usually do the BYOB routine as IP suggests, but have on occasion provided the alcohol. Having booze in the house is not a temptation for me and I still maintain a serviceable bar for my family and guests who drop in.

Bottom line, do whatever you are comfortable with. I'm sure u will make your new friends feel welcome.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

How's the party planning going Marine?
Tres how are things with you?
Vantrina, hmmmm?
Darren how is the New Year so far?

I'm trucking along, plugging away at writing. I have another feature article in a paper here next week. The editor loved it. I hope she starts assigning me more work soon! It's just tough because there's so much competition. Wah! It's exactly what I signed up for so I'll quit the whinging.

We're going to a friend's condo at Whistler for the weekend, yay!
Old 01-17-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

Marine, glad to hear you are doing ok. If the gym thing doesn't work out, what about a yoga studio? Just a suggestion.

Hope your party goes well. I prefer the "bring your own" because the less I have to do with wine in the house the better off I am...

Having a tough time for goodness knows what reason. I've just been down in the dumps for the past few weeks. I really don't know if I am depressed or, if I am just in the midst of some type of transition...just can't seem to get my usual energy towards a lot of things going. My attitude is kind of flat, I notice. Not going to the gym, or yoga. Eating more than ever...just going to work and hanging out when I get home. I feel like I've lost my motivation.
My husband hasn't directly said anything of concern but I know he is thinking. He also tells me that I just look exhausted, so maybe I am just run down from work?? I just don't feel like making the effort about certain things right now. Not sure if it the cold, all the ice and snow...or what. ((Thanks for letting me vent, btw, folks.)

I'm also wondering if this is just part of the process of being two years sober. You know, having always used alcohol to cover up the gaps in life, and now I'm straight for every waking moment. Guess that is just life. Could be worse. And despite feeling glum, I remain GRATEFUL to remaining sober. Worse day sober is beats a good day drunk every time.

IP, love that your editor liked your feature piece. Nice.