# 61 (permalink)  
Administrator

Matt Talbot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-07-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Wow. What a strange story.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

And the retreat thus far is also a strange story....
Old 12-08-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Resident Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by Marine28 View Post
And the retreat thus far is also a strange story....
C'mon Marine, don't be a tease.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Yes Marine---DETAILS. What kind of a journalist are you?
Old 12-10-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Yea, Marine, whats up with the retreat? Sound interesting.

Hubby hasn't drank in over a week. He is actually quite pleasant and nice to be around. He says he isn't drinking and wants to give that a month or so and see how he feels. We shall see.

I am getting the keys to moms place on the 15th. I can come and go as I please. I'm shopping for stuff. Got a cute dining table off Craig's list. Hubby picked it up for me. I have been scouring the thrift shops. Found an adorable black nightstand. Great shape, heavy wood...11.00 . score! My daughter is so excited.

IP, thanks for your input. Its not going to be easy...He knows I will be at my moms a lot. She comes first after me and my daughter. He can decide what he is doing with himself. I will continue to see my therapist also to help work through my anger issues and resentment with him.

I'm feeling good, job is great. No cravings to drink. Not worried about the holidays. Mom won't come till mid January.

How's everyone?
Old 12-12-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Gang - Sorry for the delay in my reporting back on the retreat. Been a busy week. That said, I agree with you, IP - what kind of journalist am I? :-)

It started on a Friday night which was really nothing more than introductions. You were supposed to state your name, how many days sober, if this was your first retreat and then what you hoped to get out of the weekend. OF COURSE, half the people went on and on and on about everything and so this took the better part of two+ hours to hear all 80 participants. At that time I was ready to tear my hair out. Then the keynote speaker talked about her story. When the night ended, everyone went to their rooms, and everyone had to share a room. Not me. Since it was less than 5 miles from my Condo, I opted to commute.

The next day it started around 8am with a breakfast, meditation and then keynote speaking for about 45 minutes on Steps 1,2,3. Then we had to break into groups for a discussion (topics provided) but it was nothing more than the people telling their story, like one big giant AA meeting. I am usually a "leader" whenever I am at something where they break into groups and they even gave us a "guideline" to follow, but for some reason I did not feel like leading. I was irritated that people were not following instructions and going off on tangent and after the 2 hour intro the night before I was tired of listening to people talk. This went on all day long with another talk by the speaker about Steps 4,5, 6 and then there was a dinner at 6pm, followed by more talk by the speaker on 7, 8,9 and then they had a raffle. Everyone was asked to bring an unwrapped gift and then they draw tickets and you pick a gift and so on. Well, this took another 2 hours because everyone had to CLAP whenever someone's ticket was pulled, then they made a big production about the gift selection. Ooohing and Ahhhing. I don't mean to sound negative, it wasn't a bad experience, it was MONOTONOUS because they were taking sooooo long to do anything. I mean, it is one thing to be enthusiastic, and another to just be so over the top "giddy" about everything. I mean, really, clapping EVERY SINGLE TIME a raffle ticket was pulled? I wanted to jump up and suggest that we hold the applause till the end and then clap for everyone at once, but I didn't.

So I won one of the drawings and got to pick a prize. I picked a very nice Calendar, with pretty watercolor paintings of beach scenes, obviously prints of some local artist. I open the thing up to January and there is a recipe for Pina Coladas. The entire flipping calendar had recipes for alcoholic beverages!!! The recipes were painted in a calligraphy on each drawing. HA HA HA. I burst out laughing. Clearly the person didn't realize it, but I had to laugh. A calendar chock full of cocktail recipes at an AA retreat.

Then everyone came back Sunday morning to do it all over again. I left early. I just could not sit through more of it. A few women were asked to tell their stories and they were very compelling, but again, I hear this at AA meetings so was expecting something a little different from the retreat. I thought it was going to be about connecting with a "higher power" or finding ways to be a more spiritual person, or add spirituality to your life, etc.

They gave everyone who had never attended a retreat before a nice silver medallion necklace with some prayer on it with a cross and the name of the retreat. Very nice, but I will not wear it. Very few people even know the real reason I am not drinking and so wearing something like that would not work for me. That would be like broadcasting my alcoholism. Not ready for that yet.

Overall, it wasn't a BAD experience, just not my cup of tea. It could have been better organized. I almost wanted to ask if anyone has ever heard of "Robert's Rules of Order" because to allow applause after the pulling of every single raffle ticket (their were 80 of them), just took up way too much time.

I felt like I had attended a 3-day AA meeting when it was all over. Needless to say I have not gone to any meetings this week. I was mentally and physically exhausted. As you work through the AA steps, you are supposed to learn how to be more tolerant of others, more compassionate, etc. I still felt irritated, so I guess I still have some work to do on that front.

I am driving back North on Saturday to begin my next adventure. What is everyone else up to?

Marine
Old 12-13-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Yeahhh, I wouldn't have made it through one day of that. People drive me crazy. (Yes, it's a flaw. I accept that.)

Tres glad you are happy. Keep moving forward.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Resident Curmudgeon

Marine, that retreat sounds perfectly awful, although I did get a perverted chuckle out of that calendar (thankful for spell check as I never, never could spell calendar correctly). Do not believe I could have lasted as long as you did.
Nothing much new here. Looks like we have a contractor lined up to start our master bath remodel in January, so we have lots of decisions to be made, or more appropriately, SWMBO has lots of decisions to be made. With all the remodeling we've done you'd think this was an older house, but it is only 9 years old.
Heading to Florida next week to spend Xmas with Mom and step-Dad. We'll be glad for a brief respite from the cooler weather and it will give me a chance to re-calibrate how well they are coping. Both are pushing 89 years old and I'm grateful they have the ability to live in their own home. I think he wouldn't mind going to some sort of assisted living arrangement, but Mom wants no part of that and I can't blame her as long as her health and spirit will allow them to function safely on their own.
I prolly will be scarce in this corner of the interwebs for the next couple of weeks, but will check-in when I return.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Enjoy the warm weather, Bimm. I am headed into the -3 below zero for Christmas. What on earth was I thinking?
Old 12-18-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I finally finished an article that I worked on for a MONTH for a very picky editor, and I feel like I can start thinking about Christmas now.
I would take cold over what we have which is crappy, dark and rainy, argh.
Gosh I miss snow at Christmas.
Everyone dealing with Christmas ok? Having fun? I love not being obsessed with alcohol during the holidays, one of my biggest triumphs so far in this sober journey. Went to a big Christmas party last weekend which normally would have been my nightmare but it was good to be present and having intelligent conversations and actually made a couple work connections.
Any-hoo.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Resident Curmudgeon

We are heading out tomorrow morning for warmth, but wanted to take this opportunity to wish everyone a safe and joyous season. It is really is a one day drive, but we split it into two easy days. If they weren't so dangerous, I'd laugh at the few maniacs on the road who just have to be wherever 2 hours ago. I try hard not to be like them.
"See" everyone next year

Bimm
Old 12-19-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Holidays Bimm

D
Old 12-19-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Bimm, our Florida weather is wonderful!

Doing well here. Hubbynstill not drinking. Been over two weeks. He says he isn't craving. He made it through the weekend lake boat parade without a drink...That, I thought would never happen.

I'm still seeing a therapist. Helps a lot. I have the keys to moms place, but have been so busy at work I haven't had time to start moving stuff in. Probably won't till this weekend and maybe on Christmas day. Its only about 10 minutes away. Still shopping, bought purple towels...we are really making it bright and cheerful.

Found a killer sofa with two end recliners for 160.00. Perfect condition. Found it at the local Hospice thrift shop. I am having so much fun finding these bargains!
Old 12-20-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Tres--I LOVE bargain hunting and you can find some really cool furniture in thrift stores! That's fantastic that your husband is sticking to not drinking. Really really good.

Drive safe Bimm!
Old 12-23-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll be offline for a day or so so Merry Christmas everyone!

D
Old 12-23-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas Dee! Have a fantastic holiday.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas everyone. Home from work. Making sausage dip and eating Godiva chocolates....

I had a dream last night that I drank. Probably because two people gave me bottles of wine..both were from upper management who have no idea about my alcoholism. Just said thank you and gave them away to others. I really thought the Cabernet would taste good. I think that's why I had the dream.

Hope you all have a safe and happy holiday.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

Hope those celebrating Christmas had a good holiday.

Marine, like Bimm, I chuckled too when I read about the cocktail recipes on the back of the calendar you won. You can't make this stuff up.

Have been busy with work & family. Had several parties over the past few weeks. On Christmas we visited with friends and several asked me why I wasn't drinking alcohol…it was like they really noticed for the first time in two years that I really really was not drinking wine. Interesting to me how more and more people in my work and personal lives tend to be really taking note of my teetotaler state. Proof that everyone is so wrapped up in their own lives they really don't pay close attention to what someone is eating or drinking, at least initially. Despite some cravings once I caught a whiff of some red wine at a dinner with friends, I'm still as sober as ever.

New drink: Seltzer with a splash of tonic. Add a slice of orange and lime and you are good to go.(Tonic is like a brand new discovery to me. The touch of sugar it adds to the seltzer is nice. who knew?)

Tres, sounds like you are in a good place. Like you, if I can find a real bargain, I'm all the happier.

Have a good night everyone.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Resident Curmudgeon

HEY, we all made it through another year sober!! Good on us.

Not much happening here:

I missed my goal to lose 24 lbs by the end of the year. Managed to shed 17lbs., so I'm pretty happy with that and will continue to plug along until the last 7 disappear.

Our visit with Mom went well, and unlike the last two holidays, we didn't have to make any runs to the ER... a good thing as it is difficult to find any docs working over the holidays. It doesn't matter what their religion...Christians, Jews, Muslims, Pastafarians all seem to be entitled to at least 10 days off. Two years ago, my Mom broke her wrist over Christmas and she had to wait 9 days until an Ortho doc was available to set it and insert pins, etc.

Other than that, things have been very peaceful here in Bimmville.

What have y'all been up to?

Bimm