View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Marine28

Happy New Year, everyone! Hope all are safe and sound and if you are in the areas where the weather is bitter cold, stay warm!

I am now down in the sunny Caribbean ... got here on the 29th of December. Spent New Years Eve in my apartment watching Dick Clark's Rocking New Year's Eve. Couldn't handle the free flowing booze at all the parties, though I was invited to one in the apartment next door, but there was TONS of booze flowing and I suspect a few other things as well. I had a very bad cold, so a good excuse not to go.

Things are going okay so far, though I have to say I am "romancing the drink" a lot. I have been reading on SR, e-AA, and participating in an online AA meeting here and there. There are NO face to face meetings here. It is tough being around these beach bars and everyone is drinking. I am learning a lot about myself...again. The one beach bar that I used to love to go to and listen to Reggae on Sunday's...well, today I left after about 2 hours. Watching everyone drunk off their a$$ and dancing like fools (much like I used to do!) did not sit well with me. I had a few Diet Cokes and came back to the apartment and played "Candy Crush" on my iPad. Anyone else addicted to that game?

I also did not feel like socializing, which is a big "look out" trigger in AA. Apparently that is a sign of a trip into relapse land. NOT gonna happen to me. I will have 9 months on January 22nd. Have an online meeting coming up in a few minutes, though I do need to meet and make some friends so I don't isolate.

Anyway, I start working from here tomorrow - so far everything seems to work. Internet, phone, computer. It's going to be an adventure, that's for sure.

A friend and her husband are coming for a visit in two weeks and then I have to fly back to the US first week of Feb for a meeting and then my mom is coming to visit for 3-weeks.

I think this 3-months is going to fly by fast. I also think I need to settle down after this trip. I have tried a few scenarios, from staying at home, to living in Florida, to living part time in the Caribbean. Time to decide what I want to be when I grow up.

Bye for now. Glad everyone had a nice New Year's.