Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 10

Old 10-11-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Renarde, I was thinking that I must have fallen off my pink cloud too. I just want the cravings to go away. It was great when I was so excited to NOT be drinking. Now it is getting predictable and a bit boring. The cravings make it so much worse. But I do love the hangover free mornings! If only I had a fast-forward button to press at 4 p.m. everyday....
Old 10-11-2013, 08:59 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
Renarde, I was thinking that I must have fallen off my pink cloud too. I just want the cravings to go away. It was great when I was so excited to NOT be drinking. Now it is getting predictable and a bit boring. The cravings make it so much worse. But I do love the hangover free mornings! If only I had a fast-forward button to press at 4 p.m. everyday....
So agree with this. Good night.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Oh well, we can be buddies on the regular old white cloud now.

I take back everything I've ever said here. All of the problems of the world can be solved by gourmet ice cream. I have a freezer full!
Old 10-11-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Yeah, so every show I've seen tonight has someone drunk on SOMETHING. Also f*** my hormones! I am always more emotional and my cravings in general are stronger right before "that special, unwelcome time" so I am obsessing about red wine and champagne.

Bout to smoke a cig, catch up on Nashville and drink some jasmine tea. And maybe take a look at my Living Sober book before bed if I'm still feenin'. It has helped me immensely in the past! I've included the link to a PDF version below if anyone is interested in checking it out.

Heart you guys!

http://siestakeybeachmeeting.com/ind...ng%20Sober.pdf
Old 10-11-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Thanks Brooksie! Good for you for doing the right thing for yourself tonight.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I've been trying not to look into the future, as far as abstaining from alcohol.

When it comes to booze and me, the only thing I'm concerned about is today... and getting through TODAY sober.

If I start thinking about tomorrow, next week, the rest of my life, without alcohol... I'm totally overwhelmed.

So all I'm worried about is today.

Reminds me of the old saying......KISS....
"Keep It Simple Stupid"

Those urges, sometimes they're like a two by four right to the side of the head.
They come out of nowhere it seems (for me).

But it's only today I have to get through and I can do that.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Hooped View Post
I've been trying not to look into the future, as far as abstaining from alcohol. When it comes to booze and me, the only thing I'm concerned about is today... and getting through TODAY sober. If I start thinking about tomorrow, next week, the rest of my life, without alcohol... I'm totally overwhelmed. So all I'm worried about is today. Reminds me of the old saying......KISS.... "Keep It Simple Stupid" Those urges, sometimes they're like a two by four right to the side of the head. They come out of nowhere it seems (for me). But it's only today I have to get through and I can do that.
Allll of this!

You just rememinded me I gotta sign up for another 24 hours!

Than you for this!
Old 10-11-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Thanks for that link to the Living Sober book Brooksie!
Old 10-11-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post

I take back everything I've ever said here. All of the problems of the world can be solved by gourmet ice cream. I have a freezer full!
I contest that. It's single plantation dark chocolate ooooh, you've made me crave (chocolate)
Old 10-11-2013, 09:43 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Haha just had a memory: my little sister and I were in the parking lot fighting, my dad was with us, trying to get us into the car. He got down on our level, and after trying about a million times to get us to chill out he said, "Girls! Stop! Think about what you're doing! Why are you feeling like this? Why are you angry?" When we didn't answer he said, "Try to remember this when you start getting angry and you want to fight: HALT. Are you hungry? Angry? Lonely? Tired? Try to take care of these things before you act."
This was a weird moment for a 7 and a 4 year old. We stopped fighting, and really thought about what he said. We didn't totally get it but our confoundedness did end the squabbling.
Now I know what he was saying. I actually never knew my dad was an alcoholic until later in my life when my mother told me in order to make me fear him and drive a wedge between us. But looking back, I know he was fighting what I'm fighting. And now I know he was trying to do something about it. For some reason this memory, now that it's been translated through time, makes me really sad. And kind of makes me love him even more.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Oh yeah and of course my first reaction to his question was, "Yes, Daddy, I'm Angry. That's why I'm angry!!!"
Hahahahaaaaaa!
Old 10-11-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

So in the first 5 minutes of Nashville one of the characters, referring to his pain, said "it's either going to get better, or I'm gonna get used to it." For some reason that translated to what I'm going through in terms of sobriety.

When It comes to not drinking/doing drugs, I don't think that the two are mutually exclusive!

All we have to do is, one day at a time, continue to STAY sober, and I wholeheartedly believe that the longer we remain sober, sobriety is going to both get better AND we will get used to it!! Just wanted to share....

Back to My show!! xx

(((Plenny))) hugs to you!
Old 10-11-2013, 09:53 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
It is going to take super human power to make it through this weekend.
What's a good thing you're equipped with super power
Old 10-11-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FishnHippy View Post
What's a good thing you're equipped with super power
Old 10-11-2013, 10:01 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Br00ksie View Post
So in the first 5 minutes of Nashville one of the characters, referring to his pain, said "it's either going to get better, or I'm gonna get used to it." For some reason that translated to what I'm going through in terms of sobriety.
I really like that!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:06 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Darn typos
Old 10-11-2013, 10:07 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, thank you got all the advice and support.

I've been busy all day with conference stuff. People were drinking during dinner and after, but I wasn't tempted at all. Not feeling it. I kind of have that tail between my legs feeling from drinking two nights in a row.

Kaneda, you hit the nail on the head with the loneliness thing. I know I needed to move out of bf's place, but a part of me misses him and the good times we had. It's nicer cooking for two than cooking for one, etc. I know things will be fine eventually, I just gotta get through it to get to the good stuff that's waiting for me once I'm over him and free of alcohol. I haven't lived on my own for a couple years so it's something to get used to.

Good job to everyone that fought their AV tonight, whether with pancakes, ice cream or hot tea! Very well done, guys, be proud!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

For some reason tonight I was craving a black and tan and I settled for a brownie and a glass of milk
Old 10-11-2013, 10:15 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Fish that sounds amazing. I'd sneak into the kitchen for something similar but the French sharks are home
Old 10-11-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post
Haha just had a memory: my little sister and I were in the parking lot fighting, my dad was with us, trying to get us into the car. He got down on our level, and after trying about a million times to get us to chill out he said, "Girls! Stop! Think about what you're doing! Why are you feeling like this? Why are you angry?" When we didn't answer he said, "Try to remember this when you start getting angry and you want to fight: HALT. Are you hungry? Angry? Lonely? Tired? Try to take care of these things before you act." This was a weird moment for a 7 and a 4 year old. We stopped fighting, and really thought about what he said. We didn't totally get it but our confoundedness did end the squabbling. Now I know what he was saying. I actually never knew my dad was an alcoholic until later in my life when my mother told me in order to make me fear him and drive a wedge between us. But looking back, I know he was fighting what I'm fighting. And now I know he was trying to do something about it. For some reason this memory, now that it's been translated through time, makes me really sad. And kind of makes me love him even more.
That's a lovely way to connect with your dad