Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 10

Old 10-11-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LillianGish View Post
Just told my closest family members - my sister and my dad, that I don't drink anymore. Didn't want to really, but I just got a text asking me to come over tonight for dinner and "lots of drinking to celebrate the end of the week." Needed to get it out there, so I dropped the bomb. The biggest surprise to myself was the realization that I was keeping it secret in case I changed my mind. Funny how that works. Hmm. This is the point of no return evidently.

UI - I'm guessing 4:55 is optimistic....more like 5:10.

Teenagers - I have one and almost two. The book that saved my sanity was "Yes, Your Teen Is Crazy" by Michael Bradley. Honestly...helped me understand those poor dears and how to interact with them.

I'm on top of the wagon cab WITH a shotgun. No one is going to mess with us getting there. Mad Max just popped in my head.

Love mad max! There was a kid in my school with face and hair just like savage kid with the boomerang!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FishnHippy View Post
As long as Sally Fields no longer looks like Mary Todd Lincoln for the last movie she done that would be great but she look like her ugh
You're right, Fish. That's not the Sally Fields I had in mind, either. But she sure is a great actor.

And no, nobody is trying to ditch you. We need our FishyMan! Have a great weekend with your boys.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Day 1 again. Made it to around ten pm last night and decided I wasn't going to deal with my loneliness and boredom sober.

I need to get back to that space where I was so grateful to be free from alcohol.
I gave in to thoughts that were saying, 'who cares, might as well, so what if you're hungover tomorrow, you can sleep in.'

I'm going to get ready to leave to go out of town this weekend for a conference.

I'll keep SR close to me. I want to recommit to sobriety. I really can't drink. It was not a casual buzz last night.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Melina View Post
Day 1 again. Made it to around ten pm last night and decided I wasn't going to deal with my loneliness and boredom sober.

I need to get back to that space where I was so grateful to be free from alcohol.
I gave in to thoughts that were saying, 'who cares, might as well, so what if you're hungover tomorrow, you can sleep in.'

I'm going to get ready to leave to go out of town this weekend for a conference.

I'll keep SR close to me. I want to recommit to sobriety. I really can't drink. It was not a casual buzz last night.
I'm sorry you slipped Melina. On one hand I'm so jealous of those of you who are living with others, and that motivates them (for various reasons) to stop drinking. But it seems especially dangerous for many of you when you suddenly get a night to yourselves, because of the boredom and loneliness sober. That's pretty much my world every single day. I bet though, if I was suddenly living with somebody the stress alone would make me want to drink. So maybe we are in the same boat really.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sorry, Melina. Hopefully the conference will keep you busy and distracted.
UI, sometimes I wish I was alone, so I could be in control of what is in the house, or not in the house. I miss having my own place! This extends to more than just the drinking, but also to conrol. Loss of control is a big stressor for me, and with kids, well, you gotta go with the flow! I love them to death, but I definitely had more anxiety and stress after having children. I think I had a lot of structure in place to manage my stress and anxieties, so I was good. Then I lost my balance in that and it is a big reason why I had escalated in my drinking.

But yeah, the flipside, nobody to answer to could be problematic as well.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

(((Melina))) This is a temporary blip for you. I have every faith that you will get past this and start piling up the days again. Use it as a springboard and a very recent reminder that drinking doesn't do one good thing for us.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thread seems kind of dead today. I hope that's not foreboding anything.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Uninvited View Post
I'm sorry you slipped Melina. On one hand I'm so jealous of those of you who are living with others, and that motivates them (for various reasons) to stop drinking. But it seems especially dangerous for many of you when you suddenly get a night to yourselves, because of the boredom and loneliness sober. That's pretty much my world every single day. I bet though, if I was suddenly living with somebody the stress alone would make me want to drink. So maybe we are in the same boat really.
I've thought the exact same thing. To be honest, I have been deliberately single for the past two years so that I could conceal the increasing severity of my disease. Before that I was a serial monogamist!

Now that I'm on the road to recovery, I am becoming more open to allowing someone in my space, but I still really love solitude! 95% of my friends are married. I often wonder if I have what it takes...
Old 10-11-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Melina, you know what has helped me? Going back and reading old posts I've written to see where I was when I first joined SR and how far I have come.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It is quiet. You can post in newcomers of you need immediate support. You okay tonight UI? You sound down.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Awww, Melina. I am sorry you slipped. Glad you told us and that you plan to stick close this weekend. You have learned some valuable information, though, so hopefully your slip is an isolated incident!

Have a good trip and weekend!
Old 10-11-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
It is quiet. You can post in newcomers of you need immediate support. You okay tonight UI? You sound down.
Been planning to drink for a couple hours now. Not sure which way this is going to end up tbh.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good morning all ! Lovely sunny day here, c'mon Spring !

I've been wondering about relapses this week. As I may have posted, there has been a few in my AA meetings and within our group. The interesting thing is that when the relapses were reviewed, there were signs before the relapse which were ignored. An example was when a person became obsessed with sparkly drinks in the months leading to her relapse. Afterwards, she realized that those drinks were similar to her favorite alcoholic drink. So, I guess what I am saying is that being mindful, on a regular basis, of how your body is feeling and your mental status seems to be useful. I used to have this app on my computer which would, upon the hour or so, freeze the computer for 30secs. Then a pop up would appear with either a mindfulness practice or breathing exercise. A bit annoying but it did keep you in the present.

Maybe I should install it again....
Old 10-11-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

UI, you need to stop that thought now. Can you describe the sensations you're body is feeling ? Do a scan from head to toe and note down the strongest sensations.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

ui what time is it with you .Can u go out and do something , shopping movie library
Old 10-11-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm going to go out an eat at a restaurant that doesn't serve alcohol. I think sobriety is winning but it's a helluva battle.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Melina

Sorry to hear about your slip. Loneliness is a classic trigger. It is one of my biggest triggers. When I lived alone overseas, I simply could not control my drinking. The loneliness crushed me. If I was single, I guess it would have been a little different in that I would not have a longing to be home with family.

For you, I am guessing that the sudden change in your environment caught you unawares from the drinking perspective. It might be a good idea to start planning how to live by yourself, eg, buy a puppy (guaranteed source of love and affection ), start doing stuff that you put on the back burner, etc. I am confident that this was a one-off for you and upon careful reflection, you will be better prepared next time.

Keep strong, keep connected and keep sober !
Old 10-11-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Uninvited View Post
I'm going to go out an eat at a restaurant that doesn't serve alcohol. I think sobriety is winning but it's a helluva battle.
UI, do that but be very aware of what your mind is thinking and to not go into autopilot.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Go you UI sounds like a plan .Nearly my bed time ,Hope you have a good meal . Dony listen to that av voice youll regret it
Old 10-11-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Talking

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
Melina

For you, I am guessing that the sudden change in your environment caught you unawares from the drinking perspective. It might be a good idea to start planning how to live by yourself, eg, buy a puppy (guaranteed source of love and affection ), start doing stuff that you put on the back burner, etc. I am confident that this was a one-off for you and upon careful reflection, you will be better prepared next time.

Keep strong, keep connected and keep sober !
I never feel alone with my kitty around!