Notices

Class of October 2013

Old 10-01-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I'll join. I have 10 days in but I never joined the Sept 2013 class.

Hi all!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I'm in, let's do this, day one done!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by icandoallthings View Post
Agreed Victoria. My plan is to NOT sit down in my living room tonight. I'm going to be online here and in my bedroom.
Good idea! The moment I get home is the absolute worst. I used to tell myself as long as I pushed my drinking time later I would be OKAY. Even if I got home and sat down at 9:30pm. That worked for a while...
Old 10-01-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I quit on 26th August and posted in the Septemberites a fair bit, but it is still early days for me. I hope I can at least be an honorary member of the Octopoids!?

thanks
Old 10-01-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Driver, SC, icando, Skye, Victoria, George, Mentium, Siesta - for a long time I believed that I could get a handle on things using techniques, counting, only having one drink per hour, etc. What a horrible failure. We are all here now. There are many things I enjoy without alcohol. Let's enjoy and think of the things we CAN do, rather than the one hung we can't. I look forward to taking this journey with all of you. If I missed anyone...sorry...I am, after all, typing on a terribly shattered iPhone.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberChristy View Post
Joining October. I was in September group, but didn't make it. Giving this another try starting TODAY. So sick of this.
Well, here's me again....Day1
Old 10-01-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

~~~WELCOME 2 OCTSOBER~~~

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night (Wherever this finds you "October-Ites")

Welcome to the "NewNormal" that is "OctSober" I am orginally from the September class but will be posting here in the October class as well as my goal is to go through the process of another month here on SR. I am currently working on my 36th day but the September experience was so incredible I wanted to challenge myself to do it here with you as well to build my "sober muscles" so to speak.

Again, welcome to the new journey and please post and take advantage of the forum as I've found it to be a very good place to obtain tools, prior experience from other sober individuals, current experience from those of us who stumble get back up and triumph again and people on different stages of their journey.

I like to post motivation things and things that can change your mindset about life and living, and creating the best you possible. i truly believe that once you can change your thought life you can change your physical life...it all starts from inside.

#Welcome2OctSober
Old 10-01-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Day 1 right along with you guys. Time for serious changes in my life. No drinking today.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

~~~Food For Thought ~ Weekday Edition~~~
~~~There Is Greatness Within U~~~
~~~(Day 36 in progress)~~~

Arm yourself with courage today to face the challenges in your life. You will not defeat everything that you face, but nothing is defeated until it is faced. Don't let the feelings of fear, uncertainty and discomfort stop you from making tough decisions.

Get out of bed. Turn off the television. Stop wasting time listening to negative conversations, including your own. Limit your distractions. Cancel your pity party. Pull yourself together and take total ownership for everything in your life. Don't waste your energy or take up space in your mind by blaming others or expecting them to rescue you. You are the knight in shining armor. You hold the key to unlocking your new future.

It doesn't matter how many times you have been knocked down. What matters most is that you continue to get back up. It's time to get it on and move your life forward by taking your power back. Place all bets on you and get busy! You deserve more...much, much more! You have GREATNESS within you!!
(#Welcome2OctSober)
Old 10-01-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Oh man, well I just want to get a few things off of my chest. I drank again last night and the result was the same.....guilt and shame for drinking again and vowing to quit. My body has really been rejecting alcohol these past 5-6 months and I've scheduled an appointment with my doctor to make sure that there is nothing serious going on other than my serious problem with alcohol. I was on day 3 yesterday and as I was leaving the office my boss said, "go home and have a beer, better yet, have a nice scotch." That's all it took for me to tell myself 'yeah, I really do deserve one' before proceeding to the office bar and pouring a long glass of johnny walker. Then off to the store for a six pack of IPA. Certainly isn't my boss' fault but it doesn't help to have it in my face daily. It's like I ran to the bottle as quickly as I could to make sure my mind wouldn't have enough time to convince me otherwise......I need to listen to my mind and heart more.

I need to find new ways to stay strong at 5pm. I'm considering really picking up another sponsor and getting back into AA as my way doesn't seem to work. Geez, I wish I could just go up to a cabin far away from things and spend a month sans booze....but I've got to learn to deal with this in any and every environment. Shoot, even if I was in the woods I'd probably find a way to get drunk on tree sap if my head wasn't in the right place. Anyway, venting and wanting desperately to make yesterday my last drink.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RiverFriend View Post
Oh man, well I just want to get a few things off of my chest. I drank again last night and the result was the same.....guilt and shame for drinking again and vowing to quit. My body has really been rejecting alcohol these past 5-6 months and I've scheduled an appointment with my doctor to make sure that there is nothing serious going on other than my serious problem with alcohol. I was on day 3 yesterday and as I was leaving the office my boss said, "go home and have a beer, better yet, have a nice scotch." That's all it took for me to tell myself 'yeah, I really do deserve one' before proceeding to the office bar and pouring a long glass of johnny walker. Then off to the store for a six pack of IPA. Certainly isn't my boss' fault but it doesn't help to have it in my face daily. It's like I ran to the bottle as quickly as I could to make sure my mind wouldn't have enough time to convince me otherwise......I need to listen to my mind and heart more.

I need to find new ways to stay strong at 5pm. I'm considering really picking up another sponsor and getting back into AA as my way doesn't seem to work. Geez, I wish I could just go up to a cabin far away from things and spend a month sans booze....but I've got to learn to deal with this in any and every environment. Shoot, even if I was in the woods I'd probably find a way to get drunk on tree sap if my head wasn't in the right place. Anyway, venting and wanting desperately to make yesterday my last drink.
I'm feeling the same way, RiverFriend! My job encourages drinking as well. It's so difficult. Let's try to do this!
Old 10-01-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

We can definitely do this SC and RF!

RF, the benefit of not going to the woods is that here you have SR and the great things that will replace drinking in your life.

At 5PM, think of all the things you can do to grow and contribute. Exercise, volunteer, visit a loved one, listen to someone, enjoy nature, help someone else....the list is endless. Don't think about the one and only thing you can't do....just pick something from the huge list of things you CAN.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

hi guys i'm on day 10 and barely hanging on. first post. i haven't had 10 days since 2008.
my biggest eye opener on SR has been the 'you know your're an active alcoholic when' thread. wow.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Welcome Breakingthewave
Old 10-01-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Welcome Breakingthewave!
Old 10-01-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by breakingthewave View Post
hi guys i'm on day 10 and barely hanging on. first post. i haven't had 10 days since 2008.
my biggest eye opener on SR has been the 'you know your're an active alcoholic when' thread. wow.
Hi breakingthewave! Glad to have you with us. I know I can relate to way too many of the posts on that thread.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

thanks so much. i had some major close calls. i think the worst is between 8-10pm (when the liquor store closes). when 8pm rolls around i really want to head out for that dozen beer. at 9:30 i'm trying to make the decision to go or not. then 9:45-9:50 i know it's the absolute last chance i can make it in time. hoping for less of a battle tonight.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Unfortunately a short drive from where I live, there is a shop that's open 24 hours a day. Never went to it, but it can't be doing others much good
Old 10-01-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Ugh, here in WA state they carry liquor in grocery stores. So unfortunately SOMEWHERE has it close by at all hours.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Yeah, it's the same in the UK - most local shops have it. I'm lucky, the one closest to me doesn't