Notices

Class of October 2013

Old 10-01-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grocerease View Post
Did good for awhile but faltered at the end of September. I'm ready to get back to sobriety. Hello October.
Welcome back!
Old 10-01-2013, 10:52 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
Driver,

Thanks for sharing your letter. As I was reading, I was nodding along in recognition. A few things in particular:

I hit on a similar recognition of the birth of my demon/beast. As a wee child I developed terrible asthma. I've always remembered my mother giving me a choice of whether to take the prescribed medication because of how "horribly" it affected me (I would get extremely jittery). But what I didn't remember until just recently was that I sometimes somewhat guiltily opted for the medication because I kinda liked those jitters. Weird, huh.

Interesting memory. Weird? not so sure though. We all seem to gravitate toward things that make us feel good. Maybe a little more so in folks like us though.

But you know what is really weird...the whole "i before e except after c" thing. That makes the word "weird" well, kinda weird! Sorry to digress on that stupid point. Certainly dont mean to make too much light of anything here. I just love the irony of the word,

Me too! Did your mom try to make you not worry? Mine did, she tried to tease me out of it. And that only made me feel anxious that I wasn't "right." I've finally learned - somewhat - to live with the worry. I think. It's early days for me, like you. My thought is that I need to take my anxious energy and devote it to into something worth the brain power. (Sound advice from my generally-supportive-if-not-always-understanding partner.)

Never any teasing. I just came to realize as I grew much older (in 30s) my constant worry was an issue that fell on the Nature/Nuture pendulum with mine being a nature deal. It simply was my temperament if you will. I was born worried. But by then I was moving along quite well as a functional drunk. Why fix what was working (or so I kinda thought).

Wow! What an uncanny experience! But I don't find it fantastical at all. I may be deluded, but as things grew worse for me and the pull of the liquor became even stronger, I found myself automatically noticing people "like me." There was no particular demographic, and I (like many of us) rotated stores often enough to avoid recognizing anyone but the clerks, so it wasn't that.

In his book Rational Recovery, Jack Trimpey refers to the "mingling of beasts," explaining that our inner beast (addiction) is automatically attracted to the beasts of others. I believe that. And I think it is a good reason those of us who don't yet truly believe we will never drink again are best off avoiding situations when other folks are drinking.
Hmm, that's great food for thought. Weird for me is that other beasts really don't drive me much. I can easily go to places where people are drinking and avoid the drink for the event. It is when I'm home when my demon gets me. I enjoy/enjoyed being a closet drinker. Me and my beer or should I say me and my demon (just chillin out together): delightful. Yuck.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:00 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

So it's 2am here. Sleeping for crap again (sigh). But I remember a Septemberite saying s/t like "rather have a few hours of sleep and go to work groggy than a night of drinking and going to work with hangover and all the associated guilt/shame."

I can relate to that now.

I'm ready for the next day! However you come, you cannot beat me. I embrace you with eyes wide sober.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:04 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Obladi, I've got some other responses buried in the quote from my first post this late evening. Still figuring how to interface with this. Not sure how u were able to get 3 quote boxes into one response. I'll figure it out.

Nice chatting with you. Hang in there today. I'm sure your kiddos enjoyed the time with you.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:00 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Driver1 View Post
Obladi, I've got some other responses buried in the quote from my first post this late evening. Still figuring how to interface with this. Not sure how u were able to get 3 quote boxes into one response. I'll figure it out.

Nice chatting with you. Hang in there today. I'm sure your kiddos enjoyed the time with you.
Driver - when you figure it out, can you let ME know too

PS What's the 'Dee' icon with the cross through it?
Old 10-02-2013, 12:22 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think Obladi can probably explain multiple quoting better than I can

Are you not getting the Dee smiley Skye?

D
Old 10-02-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think Obladi can probably explain multiple quoting better than I can

Are you not getting the Dee smiley Skye?

D
No Dee - I just get a black box with a cross through it
Old 10-02-2013, 12:26 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

must be an image shack problem in your part of the world - it'll come back...not sure it's worth the wait tho LOL - it's just Squidward from Spongebob Squarepants

D
Old 10-02-2013, 12:29 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Oh thanks - always wondered what it was. I assumed you'd made one up and then changed your mind
Old 10-02-2013, 01:44 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hello everyone! I'd like to join the October group. Day 1 for me :0)
Old 10-02-2013, 01:45 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you ER

D
Old 10-02-2013, 01:49 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee you too.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:19 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hey Easy! Good to see you again! I just about made it into the September class, struggled with relapses since we were together in the feb class, wish you all the best mate.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:39 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Just mentioned this on sept class thread but thought id throw it on here too, for anyone struggling at the enormity of staying sober 'forever', to help keep it in the day check out Joe Walsh 'One Day at a Time' on youtube official video. I listen to it everyday and it inspires me, and can relate to the lyrics. Hope it helps guys.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:48 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hi 1stepup! Thanks good luck to you too. Yeah, this time round I don't even want to think about forever! One day at a time is fine by me. huh, sounds like a song.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:08 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Good morning Tobies!
Day 2, not much sleep but must get a move on.

I'll be back to provide tech support once I'm on a real computer.

Sent from my iPod touch using SoberRecovery
Old 10-02-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hi all! Checking in today. Made it through day 3 and today is day 4 for me. Haven't been able to stay sober more than a couple of days in years. But actually feeling pretty good about today even though I will be getting off work early today and that usually would spell trouble for me. It's is helping me to picture a sober me in the future and how much better I know my life will be. Personally not looking at 24 hour aspect because my sick self could say screw it I'll just start again tomorrow. Slowly moving into the future sober.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:08 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Checking in, 2nd day of Oct....but this WILL be my third day without a drink.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Checking in day 16 for me. Following my routine of waking up at 4:30 AM, hit the gym and eating healthy. This is whats keeping me sober. Also 1 day without nicotine. Feeling good!!!!
Old 10-02-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

So many people! It makes me happy to see so many people taking the first steps to a happy life.

Ghostface- I'm another 4:30 AM riser. I've been doing it for years. When I'm at my best, my morning routine is sacred.