Notices

Class of October 2013

Old 10-08-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  
BSober1

Hi fellow sobertobers! I always seem to have so much stuff in my head it is hard to put it down here...but want you all to know that you are all such an inspiration for me! I am still struggling, but determined. Thank you for being here!!!

FYI - I am so used to feeling terrible, that I went to the Dr for a nagging cough and found out that I have the flu...imagine it - I had no idea...
Old 10-08-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

I think

I post, therefore I am...sober! - a spin on Descartes

Sorry for all the posts today Tobies.

I am sober for many reasons, but posting helps keep me actively engaged and cognizant of my resolution.

Day 9 and feeling great!

Hope all are well.

Welcome s492m and Gman13. You are in a great place.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Hi guys, Day 2 back. Still really rattled. Scared I'm going to lose everything.. Going to noon meeting then audition then meeting tonight w/my neighbor/sponsor ( who I can tell is trying to give me some tough love after this relapse, but what I really need is some love love. Not tough love. But I'll stay open. Go to meeting w/him tonight)

I'm committed to breaking this pattern. I'll be like this for a few days. THen I'll start to feel better. Then those thoughts will return. And that weekend feeling.. I'm committing that I'm going to push through that No Matter What. I will NOT pick up again no matter how much rationalization or anything comes on me. I will push through. I have so much to lose. I already came from the bottom of where this will take me. I'm not going to go back there. And that's what's up. All this stepwork and meetings and checking in is fine and dandy, but if I don't just push through those funny feeling periods its all for nothing. Sober today NO Matter What.

Check in with you guys later. Hope you guys are doing well today. Stay committed to yourselves as well
Old 10-08-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Welcome gman!

Chris - what are some healthy endeavors that you could replace drinking with this weekend? Exercise? Theater? Visiting family? Volunteering?

I think it's hard to white knuckle it. Don't just NOT drink....DO something worthwhile...it'll smack your habit down. Not only won't you drink, you'll do something positive.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

I'm ready to join, to get my life back and to find peace.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Welcome anchorbird!

This is a great group.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Hello all, I am joining these forums today after making the decision to stop drinking saturday night. I'm a 25 year old student who works full time. I never drank every day, but definitely didn't know how to control it when I did. I wouldn't black out much, but I always knew going through a bottle+ of wine plus who knows what else was never good. Well, saturday night i had the biggest wake up call of my life. Went out with my best friend, drank multiple glasses of wine, 2 shots, had a great time...and thought it would be perfectly fine to drive home drunk at around 230 am. Well of course, I fall asleep at the wheel on a side street by my apartment (after about 25 minutes of driving to get home) and hit two parked cars. I got charged with a DUI and i have been in the worst state of depression I think I have ever felt. And I feel this way for so many reasons: I was an idiot who knew perfectly well how dangerous it is to myself and others to drink and drive and did it anyway, I could have killed someone or myself as I completely lost control of the car, I am going to school and will now have to push back getting my bachelor's due to all the monetary problems and no license, having no license to do anything I want, disappointing my parents, and potentially damaging my future career as I will have this black mark on my record permanently (as far as I have researched). So needless to say, I am beyond disappointed and guilty over my horrible actions. I decided from 5am when I finally got home from the police station that I do not want to drink any longer. It has brought me many, many more problems and adds absolutely nothing positive to my life. Anything that is bringing you down, I believe, you should work to cut from your life, and alcohol is one of those things I need to let go of. So that's my little story, I'm hoping by becoming a member here I can get some advice(especially if anyone else out there has ever gotten a DUI and changed their life around afterwards), support(i know how hard it will be to stay sober when literally all my friends and family drink often and in large amounts) and just general insight into living a sober life. Nice to meet everyone!
Sober since: October 6....feels good!
Old 10-08-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aerolofty

I worried about who I'd be when I got sober too - the truth is I found a me I'd forgotten about, and it's a me I've really grown to like...

most importantly it's not a me I need to take anything or drink anything to become - it's not a mask or a role. it's me, the real deal

I won't lie - you may find that you're not so nice for a while - withdrawal and changing lives can be rough...

but that's not the way it's always going to be - give recovery a chance

D
Old 10-08-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome zombiebbq, pumpkin, drowsy, anchorbird gman and Elle

D
Old 10-08-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Hey guys, I have to change my sober date to 6 Oct as I drank on the 4th and 5th. I took a picture of myself on the 5th in the morning after staying up all night drinking and hating myself. I looked at it last night as a reminder of what it's like.

I've got 2 nights sober and I feel so much healthier, I'm on day 3 now. The nights are when the drinking demon really comes out for me. Last night there was a battle in my mind about drinking wine but I remembered why I want to get sober and fought off that urge. I'm still not entirely sure what urge surfing is and I don't think that's what I'm doing. I think I just told myself to not drink tonight and deflected it to tomorrow (which is now). Also I remember a therapist telling me about H.A.L.T (am I hungry, angry, lonely or tired) and so I ate a cookie. Haha. Finally fell asleep after reading for a while and unfortunately with a sleeping pill. I've also started journaling again. Feeling weak with so few days under my belt but I also feel proud of myself for not drinking. Now to tackle this night...
Old 10-08-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  
Administrator

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

if this isn't clear enough, let me know Rubbersoul

good to see you back - I think it's important to do whatever you need to to stay sober now, don't stint on the effort, leave no stone unturned

D
Old 10-08-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Welcome zombiebbq. This group will give you lots of support.

Good on 3 days rubbersoul! You have the hardest part done...
Old 10-08-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Myth- I'm feeling goo about myself. I can already see how my soon to be marriage is going to benefit.

aerolofty- I know what you mean about feeling like you may not be as fun without drinking. I am struggling on if I even want to tell any of my friends I'm quitting. Not that they wont accept me or my decision, I just dont wanna fail and I don't wanna become a hermit just cause I'm not drinking. I wanna get through a good period of time and then if they ask I'll let them know.

Driver- I definitely agree with what you are saying. Thankfully we are getting married at the JP and are doing two fairly small get togethers with close family. If we were doing a big party/wedding I know I would struggle with not having a drink. My whole side of the family are drinkers. So anytime we all get together its a reason to drink. I worry about that and so does my soon to be hubby. I need to be able to go to my parents and not wanna have a drink with my dad, or even go out with them to watch sports and drink a pitcher or two or four... The big challenge is going to be the weekend before halloween. My fiance's friends throw a big party every year and we are expected to show. Thankfully my fiance is going to be by myside all night and we will be the sober newlywed couple!

drowsy- Good for you! Happy late birthday

Elle- I'm right there with you. Sometimes it takes a good man that loves you despite your flaws to make you want to be a better person. Its nice to have them as support to. You can do it! I'm on my 2nd day sober

Fishy- I hope your day has gotten better after the headache and being angry this morning.

actorchris- Yay for day 2 I'm right there with you!

welcome anchorbird!

zombiebbq- welcome!! your story is very eye opening for me. I decided to become sober while I was drunk sunday night crying to my soon to be husband (whom doesnt drink and really never has.) I am in the same boat as you as far as age, working full time and trying to get a bachelors. I dont drink everyday either and do it mostly socially out and never at home alone. I would drink and drive all the time and I know I should have gotten caught multiple times. I hate that you are dealing with a dui and no license etc, but making this change is only going to better yourself. I know exactly how you feel about having family and friends that drink in large amounts and often. Stay strong! Things can only go up from here.

I feel good today. I worry about the rest of the week/weekend once my fiance's weekend is over (his off days are Monday & Tuesday) that's when I justify going to have a drink or two at my normal hangout. I realize I may not be able to go eat there for a period of time even though its my absolute favorite place to eat. Is it because its my absolute favorite place to drink to? Idk. I also worry that my depression will set in and I have been doing so good without meds. I should try not to dwell on it, as long as I'm feeling good now thats all that matters. Doesnt help I am a worrywart. I worry about anything and everything ugh fun stuff lol I am taking up cooking to help keep me occupied. I suck at cooking so I'm sure the soon to be hubby will benefit from me practicing lol I hope everyone is having a great day.

<Day 2>
Old 10-08-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Hi Octsoberites! Day 17 here, and feeling great, despite being sick.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InsaneHeart View Post
Hi Octsoberites! Day 17 here, and feeling great, despite being sick.
Keep it up insane heart! It's ironic how being sober makes us feel so good, even when we are sick. Totally different experience to being drunk, hungover, drunk, hungover, and feeling downright dreadful.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  
Administrator

we usually close threads at around 500 posts to stop things from being too unwieldy.

Come join us for part 2 of this thread here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

D