Notices

Class of July 2013 Pt 5

Old 09-03-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi all,

I've been following Diana Nyad's career.
She finally completed the Cuba to Florida swim!

Diana Nyad: I never knew I would suffer the way I did - YouTube

I love her philosophy: "Find a way"

It could be applicable to the journey towards sobriety. We have to find our own way and never give up, despite the suffering.

Hey Croissant,

Sorry to hear about the noise and your landlord problem. That would drive me ballistic with rage! I'm with Bob on this one! I'm sure your sleep problem is contributing to your concern about lapsing. And you're right, you are living sobriety, I mean you start, and do the work as you go, I don't really know that there is a preparation formula or plan or whatever for sobriety that you'd do ahead of time, other than if a person needed to detox safely.

Perhaps you do need to find somewhere quieter?

I have my first Skype Spanish lesson this evening, I'll see how it goes.
Hasta luego, amigos!
Old 09-03-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Long day at work! Hope you are all doing well my July friends
Old 09-03-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

Day 33 almost over. Took my daughter to her swim lesson this morning and then went out to this beautiful place in the country where you can pick your own peaches and apples. It was so quiet and peaceful and I was really happy to be sober. I don't know about you all, but I do not miss that nauseas, tired and anxious feeling that accompanied EVERY day after a night of drinking. Why didn't I see sooner how much alcohol was affecting my daily life? Ah well, better now than before I ended up in jail, hurting someone or ending up dead, right? Have to remember this when I start thinking about how good wine would taste ....

Hope everyone is doing well today/tonight. Thinking about you all
Old 09-03-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I don't know if this helps the variety of issues people are writing about, and it sounds a bit simple but it is true: As long as you continue to not drink, you will find a way through these situations eventually.

Hiding in the bottle froze me and all my problems in time. When I sobered I saw the problems were all here, right where I'd left them. The good news is, little by little I realized if I don't drink I cope a whole lot better with big and small things. And so do any people all around me who don't use alcohol to escape.

But I never, ever would've believed that, if I didn't stop drinking and see it for myself. I was SURE I needed to drink to cope with what I claimed were my especially hard situations. But I didn't need to drink and my problems, though they were hard for me, weren't really special. I was wrong on both counts and I'm happy I was!
Old 09-03-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for sharing since I posted my 'vent' last night, both about my Noisy neighbour and my recovery concerns, it means a lot. Will post more tonight, but wanted to say thanks.....and yes Bob, I didn't even think, I should have just called the police and let him think it was the neighbours in general that were over it.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Day 36. im sober and definitely making progress. My run was great this morning finally ran 2 miles straight without walking! I got some killer running shoes coming in the mail too yay. My baby seems to love his new baby sitter and is saying so many words! The bf and I had a nice romantic dinner and got a hotel.. it was very sweet of him as the previous weekend I joked around saying he doesnt take me anywhere. He had his drink and it was funny cuz we both looked down at his drink at the same time and he said, "do you want your water?" Lol. Being sober made the whole scene sweeter and I knew if id drank id have finished his bottle, which hes never compelled to do. I woke up before him which is unheard of as he is the early bird and it made me really happy!

Really great posts Casey and Leshar. I definitely believe in finding a way now!
Old 09-04-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

LLGold, those moments are wonderful. They're a great glimpse of how wonderful sobriety will get as it gives you more and more the longer you're sober.

I'm staying temporarily with others so I'm not able to post as much as I'd like. But what just occurred to me right now is, if I was not sober, I wouldn't be able to stay with anyone. Because I wouldn't be able to drink like I did! The one time a few years ago I stayed with my Mom when she was sick for two weeks, I sadly kept a virtual bar beneath my bed. Secretly drinking like mad.

The good news is guys, I barely recognize that person. But I will never forget her.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Day 40 and still doing good.
I seem to be a ball of fire now when it comes to fixing things or generally organizing clutter. After I finished repairing my truck the other day,I cleaned out the garage and swept it out.Noticed the garage door need some lubrication and repair.
Much more energy these days.

Not sure if I'm doing this to keep my mind off the bad habit.Or if I just feel good and don't mind taking on a challege. But,it could be a little of both.

What day is it?........Hope everybody has a terrific sober hump day.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hi all -

Day 46 here. Have had a sore throat for the past two days, ugh! And I'm not looking forward to some business travel that is coming up early next week. I really dislike traveling for work - just means longer work days with meetings during the day and then my regular work at night from the hotel room. So I'm not in the best mood! But hey, I'm still not drinking.

Hope everyone has a great sober day!
Old 09-04-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 46 NorCaliGal. Resolute...my sober 'twin'....I'm always 1 day on due to the time difference.lol. Day 41 here in an hour (I'm pretty confident I am not going to drink between now and midnight, lol).

Well, today was great after a reasonable nights sleep. I even worked back til 8.30...and because it was late, I tried going to dinner at my ex local.

Wow...what a difference. I think I went there in my first week of sobriety, missed my wine so much then, felt like a freak, it felt odd to have my steak and no big glass of wine with it (and the rest during the meal).

Tonight, at nearly 6 weeks sobriety....what a difference....sparkling water felt like a treat, I enjoyed my steak, bloat free....and my bill...nearly a third cheaper. I'm actually genuinely enjoying sobriety at the moment and not getting 'wine o clock' pangs. I know I still have to be vigilant, but today I felt like me, like the me I'm meant to be. The twinge of emptiness (fake though it may be) is really starting to subside to a bare minimum at the moment.

Happy days today. Will deal with my Landlord issue on the weekend....but for now, things feel good.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by resolute50 View Post
In my state,it's 10 pm and it's time to be quiet,PERIOD!
Land lord or not,the police get called.
I would start looking for another place to move.Your A landlord sounds like a real tool.

If I lived there I'd probably be in for assault by now.
Just keep on keeping on and do what you need to do to keep from drinking,Croissant.
At least now that you are staying sober you can make plans and be generally be prepared to do what needs to be done.
Thanks for this too. The 'tool' comment cracked me up this morning before work, yeah he was being one.

Leshar, thanks for your kind words, too. Really meant a lot this morning as it was very hard to deal with someone drunk yesterday morning in such close quarters.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Day 47 complete. I was off work. Had Thai food at lunch before going to a noon meeting. Topic was resentment and anger, heard lots of great stuff. Treated myself to a new record after the meeting. Spent the rest of the day lazing around house hunting online.

Day 48 starting now. Work this morning/afternoon, meeting tonight. Life goes on.

Almost every one seems so optimistic in here this morning. Great to see so much happiness. I know not every day is going to be a bed of roses but it's great to wake up feeling refreshed, not hungover, and not having to dig through my phone or Facebook wondering what stupid stunt I pulled the night before.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Need some advice. I'm almost at the two month mark. Things have gone well, cravings are better, etc. I drank for about 10yrs, everyday in the past 5 yrs. to the point if passing out. In the last few days, I've been very remorseful about all that I've missed out on in life. I've forgotten who I am, how to have fun (sober), and hate that I can't remember things about my children growing up. I have been very emotional lately and not sure how to get over this hurdle. I want it to all go away but I feel like I need to work thru it as well. All suggestions are appreciated.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Day 64 complete. Day off tomorrow. Hope it's sunny again and it will be a beach trip! Keep going everyone
Old 09-04-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleeper1203 View Post
Need some advice. I'm almost at the two month mark. Things have gone well, cravings are better, etc. I drank for about 10yrs, everyday in the past 5 yrs. to the point if passing out. In the last few days, I've been very remorseful about all that I've missed out on in life. I've forgotten who I am, how to have fun (sober), and hate that I can't remember things about my children growing up. I have been very emotional lately and not sure how to get over this hurdle. I want it to all go away but I feel like I need to work thru it as well. All suggestions are appreciated.
Hi Sleeper....congratulations on nearly 2 months. I can't offer any suggestions, other than to reassure you you aren't alone. About a week go, I started to feel very real anger at myself for some particular events and can tip to being emotional quite easily at the moment. I started crying on the train on the way to work yesterday about something quite trivial....and I AM NOT a crier!

I know part of it is coming to terms with the gap in our lives that we created by drinking. But also...there are parts of our brain receptors so messed up by alcohol, that we almost have to literally relearn healthy processes for dealing with emotions and sadness.

We have a similar drinking history as you describe above. 10 years and I feel like I left the woman I was on the side of the road and I'm now back dusting her off and trying to live my current life. Regrets about children, yes....and I even start to wonder if I would even be in the career I'm in if it weren't for alcohol....actually, I know I wouldn't be, I am however, astounded that I've managed to scrape through with one.

So, no lightbulb suggestions, just that you aren't alone and it's hard waking up sometimes to what feels like a strangers life. I do think yesterday though I felt truly, genuinely joyous at times and belly laughed and meant it. Things won't be amazing all at once, but the road we've chosen is worth it.

Hugs for today.xx
Old 09-04-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Petecrab View Post
Day 64 complete. Day off tomorrow. Hope it's sunny again and it will be a beach trip! Keep going everyone
Champion! Good to see you around and that you are still doing well.

Enjoy the beach
Old 09-04-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by sleeper1203
Need some advice. I'm almost at the two month mark. Things have gone well, cravings are better, etc. I drank for about 10yrs, everyday in the past 5 yrs. to the point if passing out. In the last few days, I've been very remorseful about all that I've missed out on in life. I've forgotten who I am, how to have fun (sober), and hate that I can't remember things about my children growing up. I have been very emotional lately and not sure how to get over this hurdle. I want it to all go away but I feel like I need to work thru it as well. All suggestions are appreciated.Hi sleeper
Yeah, I was remorseful too - I had a lot of mistakes to ponder.

In the end tho, I had to draw a line. Endless remorse is not good or useful.

There was nothing I could do to undo the things that happened in the past and I needed to accept that.

Thats not saying we should walk away from it. I think we have a responsibility for our actions drunk or not.

so....I made amends where I could, and where I couldn't I've tried where possible to make my life a kind of living amends. I try to live right and do good...

I never forget the things I did - but I am at peace with my past and with who I am today and I think that's more important in the long run.

D
Old 09-04-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Re-Member

"We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it."

Dee's got it right, sleeper: just fix the things you can, let go of the things you can't, and don't do the same dumb stuff (ie drinking for everyone in here, dishonesty for me in particular) that caused these feelings in the first place.

One of my constant mantras these days is, "Casey, just do the next right thing." I'm at about the same point in my sobriety as you, sleeper, and while I still have a lot of wreckage to clean up, I don't sit around wallowing in it and most importantly, I'm not causing any more wreckage today. So love your kids today, be the best parent you can be now, let the past be the past. Congrats on nearing the two month mark!
Old 09-04-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Sleeper stick around and read and post often, you'll learn lots.

Day 37. Ran 2.5 miles straight! Steady progress! I found myself feeling anxious almost all day, but I'm realizing it's that feeling that settles in in early sobriety that I need to hurry up and make up for wasted time. Patience, calmness, one thing at a time, and rome wasn't built in a day are all things I need to keep in mind.

Off to pick up son-y poo, check in l8r
Old 09-04-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hi All,

It's been a while! I was on holidays with no email (thankfully!) and have had a hectic week this first week of September. It's just turned day 53 for me. Still standing by my decision to finally put an end to the drinking. I do miss it at times but quickly manage to snap myself out of any of those tempting thoughts. Funnily, when we arrived at our destination along the French Riviera last week we were greeted with a nice cold bottle of champagne by the owner of the villa we were renting. Next we had dinner by the seaside where the server continually tried to offer me something with booze in it. Those were some tougher moments but left me feeling more disappointed than tempted. Besides times like those, I don't really think about drinking anymore. I spend a lot of time thinking about sobriety and how much happier I am now than a couple months ago - I think this is what has kept me going strong.

Anyways, just wanted to check-in, say hi, and let you know I'm back on the radar. I hope you are all keeping it up!