Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 19

Old 08-05-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey WWG..sorry to read your post...Keep strong my friend. I know these are difficult days....Stay sober and keep your focus..
Jim
Old 08-05-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

WWG it obviously wasn't meant to be, keep looking forward and being positive, the next opportunity could be just around the corner.

Siesta, sobriety brings clarity of thought and vision. I wish you strength to make the right choice in your marriage. As for finding it difficult to make friends, how about just looking to join a class doing something you enjoy, a hobby or such like? That way you would be meeting like minded people.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

MB--here's one way in which you are NOT pathetic: your post really helped me. I'm prone to depression, but I guess while I was drinking I was so messed up all the time I got to avoid it or hide behind all the drama. Now it is coming out, and I totally get that feeling of being worthless. It doesn't matter what all your friends or family or the lovely people here at SR say (if you feel like I do). It has to come from within. For me, I'm not even dipping my toes into the waters of self-esteem yet (to use a clumsy metaphor) at only a month. But I think that maybe if I just stay sober, I will keep making small achievements that build up to real pride and real self-esteem. Remember you told me the other day to focus on achievement? But it has to be, as you said, "real," so for me that means not tied to my professional status or to the respect of others. I assume it would be based on little tiny things that add up. Like the fact that I wash my face now before going to bed, and suddenly my skin looks so healthy I forget to wear makeup. Or that I really look when I'm outside walking around, noticing a leaf or a beetle. Or that I say sorry once out of 10 times I am wrong. Or that I really, really didn't want to work out the other morning, but I pushed myself to go and felt better for it. Anything that involves something connected to my character or my actions in a positive way. I just have to switch my mindset to seeing the negative as positive in my mind (for example, thinking I'm way too sensitive can also mean I care a lot about people and animals).
It's hard, though.

Drake, I so identified with your post, too, and I like the saying at the end. The "landscape littered with debris"--SO TRUE!! But as you imply, for now if I just focus on staying sober, the rest will come.

Hugs, S&S
Old 08-05-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey gang day 242 for me.... Just starting a 15 hour shift and it's raining cats and dogs...Made myself a huge tuna salad for work with 2 cans of tuna,6 boiled eggs a handful of new potato's,celery,cucumber,tomatoes,onions and sweetcorn. Roughly about 800 calories and that's on top of the 1500 I ate at burger king earlier lol...Also trying to fit in 2 pints of channel island milk a day too for extra calories...Also got a full bag of chocolate and cookies for later lol....Gonna try and fit in a midnight gym session too once all the staff here have left....

Wwg sorry you didn't get the job mate but I'm sure something will come up soon.

Hope everyone else is ok...

Take care....Steve.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Be glad to share some of my weight with you Steve!

I am severely lactose intolerant and do not drink any milk, but I do know about "gold top" milk. Is the top still gold? My grandparents were from the UK (Woking) and talked about it. You can get it here in some places from Jersey or Guernsey cattle but it is hard to find.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yeah that's the one Drake. The top is still gold and it's very rare you can get it off the milkman anymore...I get mine from the supermarket as it comes in 2 pint bottles...Proper milk lol....
Old 08-05-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
You are just awesome, guys and gals. Just can't thank you enough for all the kind words and support.

WWG - Sorry you didn't get a job, but it's been only a week or so, and you already landed an interview, and there surely will be more and your better job is waiting for you. Just don't beat yourself up - from what I see you are doing your best!

I'll come back later, Undies, hopefully with more positive vibes)
Old 08-05-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

MB, don't feel bad about feeling bad, please don't hide away if you still feel low, you won't bring anyone down, but it may help you to talk. You are normally focused and positive and very outward looking, so you are allowed to bring your blue mood here, though hopefully, for your sake, you will be feeling better soon!

Drake, get in line, I have a fair few spare kilos Steve can have first!

S&S, as Grace is fond of saying, baby steps, and what you are talking about are lots and lots of baby steps, which you are becoming aware of. I think what you are doing is awesome. It is so easy to slip into a negative frame of mind, and to test that, I would suggest everyone here try to spend 24 hours saying only positive things. It is hard! But the more we try thinking and doing positive, the better we get at it, and it does begin to spread through the whole of our life and relationships. I especially love that one out of ten times you say sorry! 😃 Sweetheart, you are doing away just fine for such early days!
Old 08-05-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
You are just awesome, guys and gals. Just can't thank you enough for all the kind words and support.

WWG - Sorry you didn't get a job, but it's been only a week or so, and you already landed an interview, and there surely will be more and your better job is waiting for you. Just don't beat yourself up - from what I see you are doing your best!

I'll come back later, Undies, hopefully with more positive vibes)
Thanks. I just feel so worthless right now. Day 132 sober though.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Walking with God. I'm so sorry for you. You so wanted it. But like MB says, it's just been a week. You stay calm now. Panicking will make it so much worse. KNOW that it WILL get better. I promise you. You need to work through those feelings of worthlessness before you can get back in the saddle applying to jobs. Your only asset is yourself. So now is NOT the time to let yourself down by feeling worthless. Your asset is you. Try to find the good in you. 132 days (over 4 months!!) of not touching the booze is already a great accomplishment.

I'm saying this because someone told me the exact same thing today and it helped; my only asset is myself so I will take great care of myself and give myself a little credit.

I hope everyone else is doing OK today.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Thank you, Toots) You got it - I feel like hiding away because still can't get myself out of the way I feel.

I am just feeling that there's such a fine line between my drinking and sobriety. Just yesterday I felt great, full of energy, and all these drinking days were in some another life, separated from me by a huge gap, and there's no way back. But today, missing just one day at a gym, going to the same shop I used to buy wine, I felt almost exactly like back in "those" days, like the only difference was that there was no wine. I know, it's a huge difference. But I literally felt like this ugly hand reaches out to me, trying to drag back.

And I feel like fake, because if I really had changed it would take more than just a day to feel the old day, wouldn't it? I don't know. I just hate to feel that way. I even stuffed myself with the same junk food which used to go with wine. I am punishing myself so hard. For what?

And in addition to all this, my best friend with whom I met yesterday, called me a couple of hours ago and told that they did her brain scanning and found some tumours. She will need additional check to find what's this all about. But she cried and was all scared. She is having an appointment with a brain surgeon tomorrow. I offered to go with her, but she refused. I hope everything will be ok. And it drives me crazy that she is going through this now, and I am still whimpering about my "blues", and can't kick it out.

Safeandsound - thank you) Yes, it's all about real small victories we are gaining every day along our way. I just seem to have many of them now, and still not enough to "prove" that I am a person who is worth a good life, if it makes sense. I know, there is nothing to prove, but, as you noticed, it's hard to switch a mindset. Though, I am working on it.

Grace - Thank you, thank you for such lovely words! I put these words about believing in yourself because that's what I lack tremendeously. Thank you for believing in me)

Jim - having a day off the gym if absolutely fine because it's part of workouts too - it's time when your body is recovering, gaining strength for the next workout so you can do it most efficiently. And what's important in prevents overtraining which is quite nasty thing. Enjoy your day)

Dorothy - that's really a great point and what I should learn to do. I tend to intellectualize and play down my "feelings department". Somehow I forgot how to feel... Time to recall it. Thank you)

Drake - "I can be on top of the world and then suddenly all just seems overwhelming and not worth the fight. " - That's exactly how I feel - not worth the fight. I like the saying. I'd only add that "a drunk day is never good")

Tanja - Thank you, my friend) I am sure you will do just fine on the 8th. You have a lot to share with, and you have a lot to bless others. Think about this not as of you standing on the podium, but as of you sharing your precious experience with people who need it. Why to be nervous about giving good thing? And it's time to celebrate great job and relax!

Stevie - you are damn right about the gym. That's my best remedy which never fails. For some stupid reason I decided not to go there today. And here we go - I ended up with somewhat like your calorage today.

Siesta - congrats on 7 months!!! I haven't made new friends either, but I've been quite lonely all the time) I think what's important that you are making a friend with yourslef, looking into roots of your addiction and learning how to be your best friend instead of enemy. All the best to you)

WWG - great job on Day 132! I can understand your feeling, but you are not worthless. NO WAY! Take one day at a time now just like you are doing with your sobriety. Keep your chin up, don't let negative thought wear you out. You need energy and clear head to make your best at the next interview. You are a pro, and you know that anxiety is nothing but liability, not an asset. Take care.

Well, it's past midnight in my part of the world. I think it's time to kick blue mood and meet a brand new day with a brand new kick-derriere spirit.

Best wishes to all!
Old 08-05-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Originally Posted by dorothyparker View Post
Your only asset is yourself. So now is NOT the time to let yourself down by feeling worthless. Your asset is you. Try to find the good in you. 132 days (over 4 months!!) of not touching the booze is already a great accomplishment.

I'm saying this because someone told me the exact same thing today and it helped; my only asset is myself so I will take great care of myself and give myself a little credit.

I hope everyone else is doing OK today.
Dorothy, we've been posting at the same time, and we both mentioned assets here)

I like the phrase about taking great care of myself and giving a little credit. Should remember this)
Old 08-05-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Checking in before bed.

Hi Carlos, good to see you in the Undies, well not literally, lol.

Midnight, I hope you're feeling much better and I've been thinking, it's still early days of recovery in the grand scale of life and the healing process is a massive roller coaster of emotions including depression and low self esteem. I know I have my good days and my bad days and from reading posts on some of my other threads, by people who have stopped drinking a lot longer than us, the mood swings do eventually even out so don't lose heart and just try to take each day as it comes. It's good too that you are writing your feelings down, it has to be much healthier than bottling everything up, so keep posting and venting, we're all here for you.

DG409, I like being up early too, I love being up and having a quiet hour to myself while the rest of the house is sleeping and it's all peaceful. Like you though I never get enough sleep, I'm much better at sleeping than I was, but still not good!
You're doing really well with all those vices you've given up, bet you're saving a fortune too.

Hiya Jim and thank you. Good to see you having another sober Monday and I'm hoping you're going to follow it with a sober Tuesday! Never mind skipping the gym young man, no excuses, if you don't use it you lose it, lol.

I'm glad you like the quote Dorothy and I hope you had a good Monday.

Drake I can relate totally to what you said in your post there about the landscape littered in debris, what a good way of putting it. Little by little I'm working through my mess!

Thanks Tanja, yes it was good to see my Dad enjoying himself. He was very concerned about where he'd left his torch though!! Don't ask! It's a good thing we can laugh sometimes!
You will be absolutely fine when it is your time to stand on the podium, just be yourself and take your time. No one could fail to love you.

Steve, good idea to smash the gym, I know it's worked for you on more than one occasion.

Hi Toots, oh believe me there was plenty of clearing up after our cake baking session, what a mess! Never mind, it's all clean and tidy again now, it soon cleans up. That insomnia is such a pain, I have bouts of it, much better than I was, but if I have something on my mind I am up and down all night. I hope you get some rest tonight.

Matthew, I'm really, really sorry you didn't get that job, but please don't be too disheartened, it was your first interview in years and its still early days. Use it as a learning experience, a practice run, it just wasn't meant to be. Something better will be waiting round the corner for you. xxx

Hi Siesta and congratulations on 7 months. Sounds like you have a lot of food for thought there in your relationship. At least you are dealing with your issues rationally and not blotting them out with alcohol.

Safe and sound, thank you so much for sharing that post, I understand where you are coming from.

Glad to see you've not lost your appetite Steve, wouldn't want you wasting away, lol.

Drake, you'll have to get behind me in the queue to offer Steve some weight, i already offered him some of mine, lol.

Oh and you too Toots, I bought a bacon slicer to send him some prime thigh!

Midnight, I'm really sorry to hear about your friend, that's awful news, thoughts and prayers with her. My best friends sister had a very rare virulent brain tumour and made a miraculous recovery earlier this year so never lose hope. Miracles can happen.

I must go to bed now, it's very late and I'm up early

Good night all, sleep well

Gxx
Old 08-05-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Grace, I am definitely 'saving' quite a bit... not that I've seen it in my bank account yet. I have been spending it on much better things, most of them things I really should have already paid for instead of wasting the money on drugs and alcohol. I am definitely looking forward to a little more financial security!

I try not to think, 'If only I could get back all that money I wasted!' I know it would be quite a tidy little fortune.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Drake congrats on the 4 months!

Siesta congrats on the 7 months!

WWG sorry the job didn't work out, don't give up tho you've come so far with your new sober life!

MD I think it's normal to have an off day every now and then. Hopefully you wake up tomorrow out of that funk. Stay positive!

Work flew by today. And I woke up this morning so grateful for a good nights sleep. I slept thru the whole night a solid 8hrs and forgot how nice it is just to wake up feeling rested! It's the lil things I'm grateful for! I forget so quickly when back drinking how good a sober life really is.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:01 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Day 243 here for me and I just finished work. Quick pint of tea and then bed for 4 hours...Just realised that I'll be 8 months sober tomorrow....Go me.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:01 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hello everyone.... I am 10 months sober today!!. I cant believe how much my life has changed in those 10 months and all for the better. I am so excited for the future and i feel optimistic.

Stevie congratulations on 8 months sober for tomorrow that is huge!!.
Congrats on 4 months Drake!
Congrats on 7 months Siesta!

Congratulations to anyone else hitting any sober milestones or trying to. Keep on going or trying. Its worth it. I hope everyone is safe, well and sober
Old 08-06-2013, 02:11 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hey MB, first off, I send positive thoughts to your poor friend, and I know that you will be there for her in whatever capacity she needs. As for the mood swings,Grace is spot on both in the fact we will get them and that they will ease. I have had one thought though, and if I am off base, apologies. I feel that as you are currently not working, you have replaced drink with the gym and it has become your focus. Not exactly a bad thing, but hear me out.
Have you ever read ' feel the fear...' Susan Jeffers? Chapter 8 specifically stayed in my mind as it was valid to me. In this the relationship was husband/wife, but if you swap that to drinker/drink.. Basically when we are drinking, it can become our whole relationship, and when we lose it we lose everything. By replacing it with just one focus, you are putting yourself in the same situation, especially now you class has finished too.I feel perhaps, you need to find more activities to regularly partake in. Maybe volunteering? That way, if you take a day off the gym, it is not so noticeable In your social diary?? I hope that makes some sense, but if you can read the book, it will be clearer!

Steve, wow! 8 months! I wonder what that old Steve would think of you now? You are stellar my man! Oh and when Grace has finished with the bacon slicer, I have some rump for you!!! (Yeesh, that image is more likely to put you off your food!!! Sorry)

BF, looking at your post, perhaps keeping a gratitude list handy would keep sobriety as your main desire? You are doing really well sweetie.

DP, you are so right, we ARE our own main asset, and ought to cherish ourselves as we would any other. And your words to WWG were spot on.

Grace, I hope you have a good day.
Carlos, Drake, SJ S&S and all other lovely undies, have a good day.
So many sober goals being achieved or close to being realised right now, it is a good time to look back at the person we were deep in the hold of alcohol, and unable, perhaps unwilling to see a way out, believing that was the way our lives would be. Every single one of you, one day, one month, one year, ought to be proud. It takes courage to face and fight addiction, It took courage to write that first post, putting down in black and white for a multitude to read, your innermost fears. You are all so much stronger than you realise.

Be strong, be safe, be sober.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:34 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hello guys. Just day 13 for me. Just thought I'd say hi as I'm trying to abstain from booze as a long term goal

sicknote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:41 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hey, Sicknote. Welcome to the thread! You'll find a lot of support here)

And congrats on 13 days of sobriety!