Notices

Moms and Mums Club 2013 Part 2

Old 06-13-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  
greenturtle

LadyBug - you must be experiencing the derecho the news has been talking about for days? I'm in MD and we've prepared for this storm this week but now I think nothing will seriously happen...be safe.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  
Marcher

Oh, Ladybug, and yesterday was so beautiful!

I think I'm going to buy something for myself today... Olay moisturiser! Only other moms can

appreciate that. lol

I can tell you, happily, day 90 feels remarkably better than day 30, and day 60, and day 80! Hang in there, girls. Dee told me to give it 90 days, and he was right. Physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually... what a difference! And I never have to go through that again! Now, I'm not 100%, but who ever is? Still have up and down days, but I can handle them so much better. And I do stay vigilant, because I know it can all fall down on me if I don't. But I do have an inner peace again. What a gift sobriety is!
Old 06-13-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joygirl View Post
Oh, Ladybug, and yesterday was so beautiful!

I think I'm going to buy something for myself today... Olay moisturiser! Only other moms can

appreciate that. lol

I can tell you, happily, day 90 feels remarkably better than day 30, and day 60, and day 80! Hang in there, girls. Dee told me to give it 90 days, and he was right. Physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually... what a difference! And I never have to go through that again! Now, I'm not 100%, but who ever is? Still have up and down days, but I can handle them so much better. And I do stay vigilant, because I know it can all fall down on me if I don't. But I do have an inner peace again. What a gift sobriety is!
Thank you, joygirl. It helps hearing there is light at the end of the tunnel. I have never gone this long and can already notice the physical changes (no more bloated face, clearer eyes, 5lb weight loss) all good! I know the emotional stuff will take more time, though.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

DEE is the absolut best! I will never be able to watch the muppets again without thinking if him either!!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Thrilled to find this thread!

Hey ladies -- I had almost 3 1/2 years of sobriety when I recently relapsed. I currently am only on Day 4. I am a good cautionary tale I think for everyone -- I started out with taking vicodin that I shouldn't have taken, then a couple weeks later had wine, then vodka a week later, then more wine. Anyway, long story short my 13 year old knew nothing of any of it until the last one when I was at a party and she saw me and knew I was drunk. Talk about humiliating. This little girl had a hard time the first few years of her life with my drinking and as she told me "I had forgotten about it until now."

So, I'm doing this for "me and them" because I need to be ALIVE but most of all "myself" for everyone I love but also because I don't want to die.

Thanks everyone here. This is so different from other recovery threads because it's for moms (and other caregivers.)
Old 06-13-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

anxiety?

Originally Posted by Midlifecrisis View Post
What does everyone here do for anxiety?
In my sobriety, I was put on a low dose of klonapin (My doc knew I was in recovery and felt this was the "safest" benzo -- which was true because I was on it for years and did not relapse.) In fact,, I was weaning *myself* from it over the last few months. From 1.5 mg a day to 1.25 two weeks later, then reducing very slowly until I was down to only .5 which is where I am now.

Otherwise, the only thing I can advise is yoga, meditation (there are some good tapes), and going to a good nutrition store and asking a knowledgeable person about supplements. 5-HTP, kava-kava, glutamine, magnesium, and many others are good for anxiety (however, don't mix with prescription meds without asking your doc.)

CG
Old 06-13-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Checking in today moms..

Hope everyone is good. Getting ready for this weekend...going to be a busy one for us. My daughter has her gymnastics show on Saturday, so dress rehearsal Friday afternoon as well, then of course Father's Day makes for a busy weekend. That's good for staying sober...staying busy!
Old 06-13-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Does it ever happen to you where you are just finishing up a long post, and then you click some button and everything disappears? That is so frustrating. Anyways,

I haven't tried any other drug because I know I'd like it and be addicted to that as well. I once fell down the stairs with my 9month old daughter. I fell in a way to save her, but broke my ankle. I wasn't drinking or anything, just being my usual klutzy self. They gave me Vicodin and I puke it up on an empty stomach. So I won't touch anything stronger than Tylenol. Why does it seem that all doctors want to do is prescribe these powerful drugs when you don't always need it? It's like they assume I'm there for them to write a prescription. No, fix the problem behind the pain. I've been through labor twice so I think I can handle a little pain.
So I scarred my 7 year old by watching the movie Twister. Don't worry, tornadoes don't come here. Then we had all the tornado warnings last night. Good thing it was just a wicked thunderstorm.
Today's the day. I mean it this time. I'm tired of feeling like crap. I was back to my usual ways before I came to SR. I did better when I had the liver scare. My health motivates me so I guess I'll focus on that today. Do you eve just drink to shut the beast up? Tired of the constant fight.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Marcher

This constant fight is really temporary. It just takes time, hard time. We have to be willing to suffer a bit to get through it. But I can say that it will not be like this forever. No one would ever get sober if it was.
It is just hard. That's the price we pay for all those "good times" we had. Now we have to pay the piper. The bill is due.
I have to come to SR every day to renew my commitment.
And it's waaaaay better now, worth the fight!
We live in a tornado rich area too! They are frightening. I loved the movie Twister though!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Welcome cat glad you joined us.

Yes beavis happened all the time to me soooo frustrating I post from my phone think that's why!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
Do you eve just drink to shut the beast up? Tired of the constant fight.
Beavis, you are going to have to go through the hard, uncomfortable days to get to the other side. If you keep giving in to the beast you will never beat it. It IS very hard at first, but it does get better. I only have 39 days, but I don't have the daily fights with AV that I had in the beginning. Listen to joygirl, she has 90 days!! She is right - great things don't come without a fight. There are days when I am on SR almost all day, and I have a 3 yr old. But, it is sometimes the only thing that gets me through the day. My daughter and husband deserve a sober and happy mommy/wife. You can do this too!
Old 06-13-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

You ladies have no idea how much you've all helped me already!! I did/do have a regular home group, however, I never liked it since moving here 3 years ago. I missed my groups and women's meetings in the city we moved from and my old sponsor. Even though I went to meetings faithfully here, even led meetings, got a sponsor, did other service work, etc. I also have other issues with long-term depression and hashimotos disease.

Anyway, I had gone short on meetings recently and I'm sure that's why I slipped. Sobriety Lost Its Priority (SLIP). Now I know that I need new meetings and possibly even an addictions counselor. But I will work this out, I will! In 2007 I had ten months of sobriety, moved to a city 1200 miles away and relapsed for a month. Got sober again for two years. Had a long series of "slips" at the end of 2009 and my last drink was Jan. 9 2010. We moved to another city 5 hours from the last one in the summer of 2010 (where we are now, and until now, I'd never had a drink in this area.) So, I would've had 3 1/2 years on July 9 this year had I not relapsed again.

I go back and do the math and realize that since winter of 2006, I've been sober over 95% of the time. Which is why my younger daughter mostly remembers my sober days a(she is 13 so in 2006 she was 6.) However, the relapse in 2007 was a bad one and I am determined to make this one a slip rather than full on relapse.

I made great strides in sobriety and even though I also had major, long term depression even in sobriety, alcohol never fixed depression. It can only make it worse.

Again thanks for the warm welcome!
Old 06-13-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Cat thank you for sharing this - and I will always use your SLIP term in future

I'm new here and on day 7 and SR helps a lot.

I hope the forum gives you everything you need.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome, cat! 3.5 years, wow, good for you! And good for you for not letting your last slip turn into a relapse. Thanks for sharing your story. Hope we can help
Old 06-13-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Welcome to the moms club Cat! Happy you joined us. This is a very supportive bunch indeed.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

I found a beer int he fridge while cleaning and....THREW IT AWAY!!! YEAH!!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Woohoo juststopit! Great job!
Old 06-13-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Good for you, juststopit! We are proud of you, but more importantly, aren't you proud of yourself?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  

has everyone read wantabe's post in friends and family? His wife (and mother of his son) passed away this morning. WE WILL NOT STAY ON THAT ROAD!
Old 06-13-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 500 (permalink)  

Great job on 1 week, lifebeginsat41!!