Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 13

Old 05-18-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Hi 1day! When you get to my age -- i just look at the dirt and if I can still see the floor it's clean enough, lol.

Sass
Old 05-18-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's 10am now if that helps Joygirl

D
Old 05-18-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hi, Sassy! It sounds like you had a good day! North might be onto something here, the self-entertainment works well.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  
Marcher

Dee, Yes, that helps. You are 15 hrs. ahead. I hope you have a good day today.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Hi Saskia,
You had me laughing out loud.. I am probably older than you... but boy, my kitchen floor was so dirty, and my son's bathroom... I don't think I can see the floor...
Old 05-18-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joygirl View Post
Hey, Meso! Yeah, one of those days. Did you have money on a horse?
No. My honeybunny did a daily double bet on each horse entered in the stakes prior to the Preakness and Orb in the Preakness, and another win bet on Departing in the Preakness. Didn't work out so well.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Good afternoon peeps!

I've been busy this morning, then a friend dropped in so I've just arrived at SR. All went well for me. As a number of you have said it's a bit weird and odd at first, it's definitely a bit harder for me getting used to not drinking in a restaurant, it's amazing how much your hand plays with the wine glass! I noticed because there wasn't one to play with.

As on other occasions, I found myself enjoying the food a whole lot more because I wasn't in the process of drinking as much as I 'reasonably' could, ie., what I could get away with. When we got home I had a hot shower and carefully removed my makeup instead of drinking on. Result: slept in for only an hour on a cold Sunday morning and was up and about things early plus happy to cook eggs and bacon for breakfast. No headache, no dry mouth, no need to recover and rehydrate ... magic.

I've become a real tea drinker in the last few months so I ordered tea instead of coffee at the end of the meal, it was awful! I shall do as the tea afficionados recommend and take my own in future and order boiling water.

Isn't it great when we successfully leap another hurdle?
Old 05-18-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1Dayatatyme View Post
Hi Saskia,
You had me laughing out loud.. I am probably older than you... but boy, my kitchen floor was so dirty, and my son's bathroom... I don't think I can see the floor...
Hmmmm, 1Day, wanna make a bet on that?
Old 05-18-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  
New and learning

Hey everyone! Sounds like good days by you all.

Bummer, I forgot about the Preakness, so forgot to watch it.

I'm on the weird stage of getting back to social life stuff too. Funny, but I think I'm the only one noticing I'm not drinking.

Had a busy day doing stuff to prepare for a house full of company this week. We planted lots of plants we bought yesterday, so the garden is started and flowers are making it look pretty and welcoming. I also spray painted some decor items. Still have a mile long list before all the activities, including lots and lots of cleaning. I see it all needs done, but.........

My sits and her husband arrive Wednesday night late and Ill get them at the airport. Then Thursday is busy with my sis and I getting pedicures, then lunch at a restaurant with my family, sister and husband, husbands parents, my dad and his fiancé. Son then goes to the graduation ceremony to get ready and we follow along an hour later. Whew......my oldest graduates high school! Then the next day, friday, is the party we are throwing. So, must get it set up, decorated etc, then host it 3-7 pm. At home, we will collapse I'm sure, but with a houseful, will be visiting. The Saturday morning at 11 is my dads wedding! Could it get any busier?

And all worth no drinking! My sister said she would abstain with me, but wonder if she will stick with it or not. I won't hold her to it. My dad is a huge drinker.......we all are! Especially when we are together, so it's the big test coming up. Friday the 24th will be my 3 months date, so I don't want that to get messed up at all!

So.......too tired to continue with my list so am watching the Grey's Anatomy finale from thursday night and drinking some hot tea. I too have become quite the tea drinker! Sorry it wasn't so great in the restaurant for you Marcher.

Thanks for being here everyone! I've been trying to read and catch up but haven't felt I had much to offer. I sure feel better reading YOUR posts though, so thanks! It's been crazy busy shopping and prepping for graduation so, at least I'm busy and distracted!

Good job everyone!
Old 05-18-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

I can relate!!! To Saskia.. Well, you won the bet!! I defer to your wisdom and life experience.

And Need.. how funny... the reason I am beginning to try and clean is to get ready for a Memorial Day barbecue, in honor of my youngest child graduating college... I have not "entertained" in years... this is so uncomfortable, and yet, I know that I am on the right path... not isolating and not using a three day week-end to sink deeper into my addiction...
I will not have too many people, and most everyone knows my house is "alcohol free", due to being in recovery so many years... the past couple of years, with my pain pill addiction, was pretty well hidden... I just became more reclusive, and had "better boundaries" ( my words for building walls around relating to others). Anyway, let's both hope the weather continues to be mild and beautiful... not too hot and no storms, please.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:30 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Good morning, Marchers!

Marcher - happy to hear all went well :-)

Need, wow! It sounds like you've got quite a week coming up. If it gets tempting with drinking family there, just remember of come here to get support. I don't think I could handle all that you are doing!

1Day, "life experience" - maybe; "wisdom" - hardly, lol. Nice that you have festivities coming up, too. Good that your house is known to be 'alcohol free' and you are sounding strong.

I'm tooting right along and doing well.

Lots of love and hugs,
Sass
Old 05-19-2013, 03:26 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Hi all! Up early this Sunday morning as we are headed across the state to visit my brother and his family. This is a vaca home for them so the kids are all in vacation mode - ie, lots of drinking. I'm going to take my niece for a bike ride or a walk and talk to her - hoping something I say resonates but will at least let her know I'll always be here for her.

Now my brother. He is a complicated man - so funny and loving in some ways but he can be cruel when he drinks. I've always thought that someone should do a case study on us as he was raised by an active alcoholic dad and I was raised by a recovered one. My brother left the house when I was only 2 but he was always a mainstay in my life. He was actually a "fun" drunk earlier on when he drank mostly beer or smoke weed. My sis-in-law and I admit we'd enable him to drink because he was always happier drinking. Then over the last few years the beer wasn't doing it for him any longer and he switched to vodka. He changed. He is mean and nasty when he drinks vodka - and it's scary to see him drink it because he drinks it the same way he drank beer - one right after the other. Two months ago I was told he announced that he was giving up drinking. It's so odd because I haven't had the nerve to ask anyone if he's stuck to it as I don't want to be disappointed, but I will find out today. I am praying so hard that he has - so so hard. If he blows it I might not be able to bring my children around him and that's unthinkable - see, when he's not drinking he's one of my favorite people in the world and he loves my boys (tears while I write this). He's so interesting...so successful in business and comes off as so cocky and confident but really, he's so insecure and I guess that comes from not having his dad's love - anyway, as much as he angers me I have a soft spot for him like no one else. I suppose I should write this on the family forum but - so anxious for this trip.

Then there's my nephew. I don't really worry about him but he and his girlfriend drink when they're on vaca. I was actually with him when I quit back in Feb. I was keeping up with him drink for drink and he's a professional football player! He's easily got a hundred plus lbs on me -- no wonder I woke up with a horrific hangover. Anyway, one of my other fav people in this world and really excited to see him as always. I'm thinking of asking him not to drink and I know he would have no problem with that - for him it's all about spending time with his cousins - he loves and adores my boys.

So........long winded diatribe on my angst for this upcoming trip. Oh, and the results of the study: we both ended up alcoholics - it's genetics, not environment.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:55 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

(((Duffster))), I can understand the angst. I will be thinking of you today and hope most or all of what you hope for will be. Whatever happens, you can be strong through this visit.

hugs,
Sass
Old 05-19-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Marchers I found out some pretty devastating personal family news tonight and for two hours I spun out crying and craving for a drink or even a joint. I just wanted something to make me not feel.

But then I sat down on my couch and drank a cup of tea and calmed down and realised how stupid I was acting. This problem will still be there after I drink the only difference between drinking and not drinking is that I would wake up with a hangover tomorrow.

I can't bury my fears in a bottle of vodka. I need to face them head on like an Adult.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Hi Marchers,

I'm sorry about the news SoberJane. I hope it is something that can be worked through.
That's is so good you just handled it without running to hide in a drink or smoke. Those things really show us how much we use this cr*p to hide from our feelings doesn't it? Anything from going out in a new social situation to something serious and everything in between.

I sometimes now wonder if I ever faced anything?? It doesn't look like it. I look at any situation now like it will probably be like a new experience. Every time we handle it sober I think we get stronger and better at it.

NeedMySavior, I remember how worried you were before going to rehab with the graduation and everything. That seems like a long time ago. That time for you made you who you are today! Party sober like its 1999!!!

1Day, I think your one day is here. You will entertain beautifully. Your party will be filled with fun, joy, and love. You will glow and everyone else will be drawn to your realness like a moth to a flame.

Duff, I think you showing by example will speak volumes. I know that when I am around someone who has faced a challenge and survived and thrived I'm totally inspired. I want what they have. That's the kind of person I want to be. Not only are you helping you by doing it, you are helping other people! If we didn't see this could be done and done well why would we even want it?? It's the people who have made it to the other side that reminds me it's possible. I think when they see the authentic you now they will naturally be curious as to what you have done. How wonderful to have that experience of having people look up to us!!! All the pain we have or are going through is the reason why we are humble and nonjudgmental....and not because we think we are garbage but because we finally got to meet the real us...and we are pretty special really.

Meso and Marcher, you are tried and true. What would I have done without you?

Sassy, it will be a great honor to celebrate your upcoming sober achievement. This is the one.

Hope everyone else is out enjoying their day and their life!

Darn it kids, we are becoming what we always wanted!

xoxo
Old 05-19-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  
sober date 4th march 2013

Evening Marchers

Just checking in before I poodle off to work.
Hope everyone is well.
Your right Shoes, we are becoming everything we always wanted, kinda weird that!

Love to you all.

Mick x
Old 05-19-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 360shoes View Post
Meso and Marcher, you are tried and true. What would I have done without you?
You are a gem, Ms. Shoes. I hope you know that!
Old 05-19-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Yes, Ms Shoes is a gem, you are so right!!
Even though I have not yet gotten a famous dancing banana, her kind words in her last post more than make up for the lack of bananas.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1Dayatatyme View Post
Yes, Ms Shoes is a gem, you are so right!!
Even though I have not yet gotten a famous dancing banana, her kind words in her last post more than make up for the lack of bananas.
I am sure it is an oversight and that you are absolutely dancing-banana worthy.

I think there are quite a few gems among us Marchers, and many, many, flawless diamonds in the rough. :-)
Old 05-19-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

I love every one of you!