Notices

Class of January 2013 Part 8

Old 05-28-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Whoo hoo! Four months today! I figure that's over 120 bottles of wine I didn't pour into my body, 120 clear headed mornings, and 120 times I chose life over death. Boom.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearNpresent View Post
Whoo hoo! Four months today! I figure that's over 120 bottles of wine I didn't pour into my body, 120 clear headed mornings, and 120 times I chose life over death. Boom.
CNP,
Outstanding!
Best,
W
Old 05-28-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congratulations CNP That s awesome!!!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

CNP, I hadn't thought of it that way but since in the last 6 months before stopping, I was drinking 1 bottle a day, I guess that my days are numbered in bottles too. Then I'm 147 bottles sober. LOL.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Oh and big congrats on your 120 days CNP. Bravo.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Thanks all! I tried to find a picture of what 120 bottles looks like just to get a visual on the volume. I'm sure it would be, *ahem*, sobering. 😏
Old 05-28-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

I found a picture but it triggered such strong AV, I decided not to post it.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

What does AV stand for? Sorry, I'm still learning the jargon
Old 05-28-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Hi class! Just a quick check in. Been really busy at work so I haven't had time to read up but I will tonight.
Welcome Cnp. AV is Addictive Voice (AV): Any thinking, in words and images, that directs, supports or suggests the possible future use of alcohol and other drugs.
Basically anytime your mind thinks alcohol is ok it is your AV talking.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

At 145 days, I've added up how much $ I haven't spent on about 1 1/2 bottles of wine a day, as well as a handle of vodka each week. I can buy a nice new couch, or better yet go on a yoga 2 day retreat.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Congrats CNP! That's great, well done.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pianowoman View Post

I am not drinking this minute, this hour, because I know that next Monday will be 6 months.

:
Wow! 6 months - way to go, pianowoman!

I know what you're saying about emotions and relationships. I'm finding it very liberating - where once if I said and did certain rather extroverted things, I'd worry it was the grog talking. But now, I think, what the hell, I'll say and do what I want to! But then again, I'm not married...

CNP, fantastic effort - 4 months!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dorothyparker View Post
CNP, I hadn't thought of it that way but since in the last 6 months before stopping, I was drinking 1 bottle a day, I guess that my days are numbered in bottles too. Then I'm 147 bottles sober. LOL.
One bottle a day? That was a warm up for me. So glad it's behind me!
Old 05-29-2013, 01:47 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Hi Wonderful Class of Jan 2013, Hope you are all WELL

just a line to say all is Fantastic here in Croatia and 137 days of Bliss and harmony.

I am attending my online meetings 2 hours everyday still, and The Big book is starting to make sense.

A little quote to keep us all going::

I asked God for strength, that I, by myself, might achieve. I was made weak, that I must do together what I can not do alone.
I asked for health, that I might do greater things. I was given infirmity, that I might do better things.
I asked for riches, that I might be happy. I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men. I was given powerlessness, that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life. I was given Life, that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for, but everything that I hoped for. Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered. I am among all people, I am most richly blessed.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:21 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Oh ok. Thanks Siesta. I was hoping to start tucking away some $ not spent on alcohol by now, but just had to buy a new ice maker for fridge, 4 new tires for my car, and last nite the dishwasher broke. Easy come, easy go!
Old 05-29-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Hi gang! How is everyone? I'm well, although having such problems with my back, am in almost constant pain. It's very frustrating and I don't find my doctor to be particularly caring or concerned.
BUT despite that, I am 132 days sober and on day 4 of quitting smoking (yet again) I was invited to a work happy hour tonight, I declined saying I had homework to do - which I do, but that's not the reason I won't be attending. I feel like it came across hollow, like an excuse, but what can you do? I'm learning that I don't owe anyone an explanation for anything.
I'd love to know how much I've saved on booze so far! We just ordered a new living room set and new bedroom set, I'd like to think at least part of it was financed by my sobriety!
Hope everyone is well. Here's a quote I read recently "Just because something is carved in stone, doesn't mean it can't be changed." I love it!

-Alison
Old 05-29-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Hi Class! Still here and sober!

I have no idea how many days or even what day I officially stopped drinking, but I know it's been MONTHS! WOO HOO! Summer is coming soon, and so far I am doing great. I did go to the liquor store to pick up some stuff for a BBQ we attended this weekend, but It wasn't a big deal at all.

I have a question tho, does anyone ever feel self conscious around people who drink? I feel like people are judging me as a 'goody two-shoes' (people who don't know my history) Not that it sways me to suck down a bottle of <insert booze of choice here>, but I know how I felt around sober people. I didn't like them because i thought a) wet blankets or b) judging the hell out of me.

I guess this is something I will have to navigate as well. I'm finding things so different now, people who I thought were jerks are actually pretty cool, and people who I thought were cool are actually dumbasses. Huh. Who'd of thought?

Have a great week folks!
Old 05-29-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I read your post and thought about that Adam Ant song:
Adam Ant - Rare - Goody two shoes - YouTube
Don't drink don't smoke. What do you do?..must be something inside.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have a question tho, does anyone ever feel self conscious around people who drink? I feel like people are judging me as a 'goody two-shoes' (people who don't know my history) Not that it sways me to suck down a bottle of <insert booze of choice here>, but I know how I felt around sober people. I didn't like them because i thought a) wet blankets or b) judging the hell out of me.
I used to think this too.
Now I feel that says more about the way I used to think.

These numbers are non verifable but I believe it's true.

I think 95% of people don't care what I do, quite honestly.

There's probably another 4.9% who are very happy I quit because they were really worried for me. I think I got judged WAY more when I was a drunken mess.

that leaves about 0.1% of folks who still think like I used to...and that's probably because they drink too much themselves but can't countenance stopping.

no biggie

D
Old 05-29-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LindseyMarie View Post

I guess this is something I will have to navigate as well. I'm finding things so different now, people who I thought were jerks are actually pretty cool, and people who I thought were cool are actually dumbasses. Huh. Who'd of thought?

Have a great week folks!
Thanks for that one, LindseyMarie. Very funny and I can definitely relate.

To break the pattern of social drinking I seriously isolated myself for a few months. Now, I'm spending some time around friends where the beer and wine is flowing. It hasn't caused me any challenges to abstain but it just isn't that much fun anymore. The boozy ladies want to engage in emotional convo that makes me skirmy, their loaded husbands lean all over me to say I used to be funnier, and I'm bored out of my mind. But, hey, it's an enjoyable bike ride home in the dark, warm summer air. Pity I didn't notice that part of the evenings before.