Notices

Class of March 2013

Old 03-01-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Day 2 for me today. I was sober for a good portion of February, but the last week has been awful. I was dumb for not sticking around SR. This month I turn 30. o_O I really want to do so by being sober!

Have a great day everyone! I'm sure I will check in later when my AV voice tries to get the best of me.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

SoberformySon-
I hear you on the struggles with the mental crap. It so seems like alcohol helps with that, but of course it doesn't. I have the same struggles with anxiety but I know it's so much better when not drinking. It's a trap.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi all, good to see some familiar virtual faces here. I'm in Jim, day 1 for this old soak not very proud of me right now. Have a great Friday everyone.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome back Jimuk. This can be our month!

And yes the anxiety and a paranoia is life ruining, but I have to fight it. It's hard, though. I am virtually certain nothing's going to come of the situation I fear, but that doesn't stop my brains from going crazy over it and feeling hopeless. Frustrating!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Happy March first! March is all about Spring and new growth......a perfect time to make a fresh sober start in our lives
Old 03-01-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Why do I drink myself to oblivion? I had a normal childhood (non of my siblings are alcoholics) I've always been insecure and a bit of a worrier. I have a good trade, never had any trouble attracting the opposite sex. I have a lovely son and my long term partner has stuck by me through a lot of rough times. I love travel, my boat, my bike. From the outside people think I have a great life but on the inside its a living hell. Is this thing deeper than alcohol? Is there something wrong with me? I've always had this self distruct button, but its not just me I'm hurting, my son is fully aware that I'm a mean drunk he told me this morning I need to stop drinking. Heart breaking coming from my 9 yr old boy. Sometimes I think they would be better off without me, I could go abroad and work to support them but be far enough away that I can't hurt them anymore.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm in and am on day one again; hopefully it will be the last day one.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm on my day three, but would like to join the March group, if no one minds
Today is much better than the morning of day two. I'm still not sleeping much, but I'll take being tired over being hungover and full of regret. I had a strong urge again last night to drink, but jumped online and logged on to SR instead. The urge passed after about 30min. Thank goodness for SR!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Soopy and Jen
Old 03-01-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi Jimuk-
I understand the feeling of not being proud of yourself and not understandin why you drink. I don't understand why I do especially when I do the most stupid things when drunk. Then the next day I'm ashamed and guilty. But I seem to forget all that and drink again.

I know this is a trap and a vicious cycle--once I stopped before the guilt and anxiety went away. The drink was making everything worse. And I stopped doing most of the stupid things I did do. Not all, but most :-)

Just hang in there and know it gets better. You don't need to leave your family-I'm sure they wouldn't want that.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I would like to join you in our mutual sober quest. I've been around here for awhile but had a number of slips. This is now Day 6 for me and I'm feeling positive. No cravings so far so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm still suffering from the winter blues but hope I'll get past that soon. I want this to be the month that I finally succeed this time around!

Saskia (aka Sassy)
Old 03-01-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi Sassy, 6 days is great I would have had six today but the beast played a dirty hand.

Thanks Samwich, I managed great before with your help in September, I'm happy you're here.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks, Jimuk. Yes, that ugly old beast can be a challenge. I try to block it out of my mind and not engage with it at all.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Hi everyone,

I would like to join you in our mutual sober quest. I've been around here for awhile but had a number of slips. This is now Day 6 for me and I'm feeling positive. No cravings so far so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm still suffering from the winter blues but hope I'll get past that soon. I want this to be the month that I finally succeed this time around!

Saskia (aka Sassy)
Welcome Sassy!
Same story for me--I've been around for awhile. I want this to be the successful month too! Great job on 6 days.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, all) I'm from October class and just poked in to welcome to SR new members and cheer up a little bit my old friends)

Stick to your decision to be sober, it's really worth every effort and every step you take on this journey. Don't be afraid, take one day at a time, believe in yourself. It is possible - just give yourself a chance.

Today I the first day of spring - the season when life and nature revives - a great day for a new start)

My best wishes to all and good luck!
Old 03-01-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Just popping in from Class of March 2012 to wish you all luck! You can do this! And this thread really can help. Stick together and stay sober xxx
Old 03-01-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
now's the time

Best wishes, class of March.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Wow, great to wake up this morning, and see so many of you sign up for March. Lots of new friends hey Jim? Together we can do this!
Hang in there Jimuk, you can do this for your son, he needs you with him. I have four kids and I know I owe it to them. I am such a better mum sober, with no grumpy hangover.
Feeling very positive today, though it is only day 2, I'll take it anyway!
Good luck every one with your new sober journeys.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hey Chanty, have a great day 2, it's nearly bedtime here.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Looks like you guys are off to a good start with this thread. I am from Nov 2012 class. Stick around, this works. For those of you returning, I'm impressed by your persistence. Keep coming back till it sticks.

I am not an AA salesman, but I was at a meeting recently and they talked about powerlessness over alcohol. From my perspective, I do have the power to have the first drink or not have the first drink. I am not powerless over the first drink. But, I am powerless as to whether I have another. We all have the power to not have the first drink, and that is where our power ends.

Be strong. Be patient. It's worth it.