Notices

Class of March 2013

Old 03-08-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

thanks chanty, there were a couple of little cravings for a beer, but ive got over them without giving in, just worked harder, got a bed for tonight anyway lol, still plenty of jobs to do tomorrow, toys wardrobes clothes etc 2 tvs to set up

good luck everyone take it easy, dont give in to those nasty cravings

dave
Old 03-08-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

NewHouse2012, you can do it. One hurdle at a time. At the airport maybe try drinking coconut water or something else that is tasty? Grab a magazine. Post on here if you can. Besides, drinks at the airport are SO expensive. You could save the money and buy a souvenir from the trip? Or even something at the airport so when you look at it it will remind you of your strength and how it felt to stay strong. I will be thinking about you this weekend.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Evening all. Haven't checked in for a while, just caught up with all of your posts.

Been sleeping mostly, but not drinking.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Sassy, thank you for your reply. It is so easy for me to get stuck in my head and lose perspective. I often fail to remember to look for the (my) strengths, because the negative voice is so loud and natural. My therapist calls this voice my "brain imp." It helped me a lot to read your post. And thank you for the book recommendation, I am always open to them and will be on the look out for it.

Dee, thank you for your advice about dealing with uncomfortable feelings yesterday. This sort of ties into what I wrote above, but the negative voice is ever-present. Uncomfortable thoughts and feelings, like anger, loneliness, depression, anxiety, impatience etc etc, make me very uncomfortable (though I tend to wallow in depression). I am trying to identify when I feel uncomfortable and get to the root of it, gently. I think addressing the underlying emotion and not beating myself up for feeling it will help me stop self-medicating and trying to make the discomfort go away. Maybe I misinterpreted what you were trying to get across, but that is what I got out of it, so thank you :-)
Old 03-08-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  
Administrator

I got into Urge Surfing years ago for pain management - it works for that as well, and it works for uncomfortable emotions too CNH

There's a lot of applications

D
Old 03-08-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Don't know what to say other than Im at the airport and staying strong.
I love the thought of spending the money I save to buy a souvenir or something special.
I have super anxiety being here without my family, here, alone.
Perfect opportunity to misbehave. But I will feel great reading my magazine.
Whoa. I'm totally doing this.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 03-08-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Good for you Newhouse! Please keep us posted!

Brit, thinking about you. Sending you support and encouragement!! We all have been there.

Glad your here, NeedmySavior! Post now and catch up later.

Love how active our thread is!

As always, onward Marchers!
Old 03-08-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Branches View Post
Good on you, as my Aussie friends say.

Have to figure out a new way to celebrate the end of a work week - Friday night has always been stop by the store

Let's all hold each other's hands across the 'net this weekend, okay?
You made me laugh Branches, I am Aussie so thanks!

Re Friday nights: I picked up another dozen San Pellegrino soft drinks. The bottles are tiny maybe 200ml, the sugar level is low and all the flavours are based on citrus -- they are literally bittersweet. In a nice tumbler with ice they make a celebratory drink.

I love the idea of holding hands with all of you this weekend. When my friends come for lunch on Sunday and AV gets in my ear I will think of us holding hands across the net.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewHouse2012 View Post
I have super anxiety being here without my family, here, alone.
But you're not alone NewHouse, we are right here with you and cheering you on, even when you feel alone remember we are here.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

I'm in...Day 2! Hello everyone!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Today started with the best ride I have ever had with my horse. It was 60 degrees this morning and we were just in complete sync - I really needed that this morning and I can't think of a better way to start off this weekend. And so far so good...my boys and I are spending the night at my parents house. There is no chance of slipping up in this house as they're non-drinkers. Have a busy day planned for tomorrow & know that I'll be fine tom night.

I made plans to ride with a friend on Monday morning and that will ensure that I do not drink on Sunday. I have skipped too many Monday rides bc I've been too sick. What a waste. The equestrian world generally takes off on Mondays and its always my favorite day at the barn - so quite and peaceful. So there it is - my insurance to stay sober Sunday.

I'll be seeing many of you on the sober weekend thread. Stay strong Newhouse you're doing great. Wishing everyone else stays strong too!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Hi Prasanti - welcome & congrats on day 2!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Hi Prasanti, welcome! Tell us your story whenever your ready. No judgements around here.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

I hope everyone is doing well. I had the Friday 5 o'clock unhappy hour thoughts. Kinda surprised me since other Fridays haven't bothered me. Not really cravings..just plain thoughts. Almost like a broken record so I just figure that my brain is just doing what it is always use to do around this time so I chalk it up to habitual patterns. Oh well. It passed by itself. I did go get sushi and sparkly water and plan on just r and r'ing tonight. That's really what I want to do. Chill out. I have all sorts of fun stuff to do this weekend and my friends are very cool about drinking or not drinking. Even my significant other is super supportive. They have more concern about me and they all are like we will just drink sparkly water with you Shoes! They are the type of drinkers who can have 1 and call it good. I tease them and ask them what's the point of that? Only people like me get that joke. They don't think I'm all that bad but respect that I do so i get nothing but love and what can we do to help. I'm so so so lucky. I'm just going to eat my sushi, drink a juice and sparkly water in a pretty glass and watch the food channel. I don't cook but I love watching people who do. I'll be back if it gets sticky.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Newhouse..the airport and traveling whew!!! That is a challenge ,your away from your life, anxiety about flying , etc. Been there. Sat next to someone who was just drinking away, red wine which has a very strong smell. I had to get up and go to the restroom and just cried.

Got to my destination where other vacationers were drinking, drinking ,drinking uuuh!! It was so hard.

Definitely struggled!! But as mentioned earlier us alcoholics ain't weak. Just need to channel our strength in a different direction... Didn't give in ...felt very proud of myself after. One more personal challenge down
Old 03-08-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Prasanti, hello!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Chin up guys. It's been a year for me this month. I can honestly say I don't miss it a bit. I can walk past the beer isle a the gro and it doesn't even cross my mind anymore. Go Marchers....
Old 03-08-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for a new thread guys - we continue here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

D