Notices

Class of March 2013

Old 03-01-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I just wanted to chime in, & wish nothing but Prayers & Strength for those choosing to quit drinking & live a sober life starting in March 2013.
And for anyone that has tried & relapsed, and are ready to get back on the Sober Bus!
~Peace
Jules
Old 03-02-2013, 12:43 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi Newhouse, welcome to March class, I too have relapsed many,many times not this time though. This is for keeps.

Morning, I hope you're all well today! I'm feeling ok-ish, day 2 of fall out normally takes me about 4 days to really feel better. Have a great Saturday!
Old 03-02-2013, 02:22 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Good morning, March group!

JimJim, glad you started the thread. I saw many good reasons to stop drinking in your post. You are worth it and your life will start improving when you stop drinking. Time to kick the beast to the curb!

Chanty, I know how hard it is to have multiple day 1 days! I’ve had more than I like to admit to. I feel like I’m making progress but it is discouraging. However, please don’t give up hope. I think it really helps to immediately climb back on the sober wagon. A repeat day 1 isn’t quite the same as starting all over again. You still have the things you’ve learned before.

Micmac, I find it helps to shove the AV (addictive voice) out of my head so I can’t listen to it. And yes, I like wine way too much also. Some of us have multiple quits and others make it the first time. The important thing is to all end up at the same good place – sober!

Abidebylaw, yes, I agree about those liver enzymes. They are a “shot across the bow” that alcohol is affecting our livers. Unfortunately it can be silent for a long time but there is always a day of reckoning if we keep on drinking.

Forabetterlife, I’m glad you are making this a whole new beginning! I’ve had more lapses than I would like to admit to but I keep picking myself up and am determined that I am going to be sober. Day 7 today!

Samwitch, glad to hear you had a good spell last year. Losing a close family member is hard and especially during the first year it is so easy to go back. I guess we keep doing this to ourselves because alcohol is very addictive. We can beat this thing but it takes effort.

SoSickOfPain, yes, you are so right! We do feel shame and discouragement but alcoholism is an addiction and is not shameful but is extremely harmful to us. It also is difficult to stop and takes a lot of dedication and effort plus an open mind to push past the shame and recognize that we need to have a clear head to keep the Alcoholic Voice from undermining our resolve.

SoberForMySon, glad you are here. 13 days sober is a good thing. Nobody can ever take those 13 days away from you and now you know you can make it that long. So, time to push beyond that.

Belva, welcome as we all work on staying sober!

Clight, glad you are here and I agree that I want this to be my month with no excuses or setbacks. We are going to do this!

Darragh, good for you to reach Day 4! It looks like we have a good group here.

FriendlyOne, I’m glad you’re here with use. All of us have made mistakes and need to work on getting past our addiction.

Citrus, you haven’t lost the part of February you were sober and can join the rest of us in staying sober in March!

Jimuk, glad you are here, too!

Pondlady, yes, I agree, it’s also the perfect time for me to make a fresh start.

Soopy99, I hope that this will be your last day one as well as for the rest of us!

Jen31, glad to hear you are starting to feel better and that you waited out the urge. I’m finding the same thing. I’ll have what I think is just an unbearable urge but after a little while it is gone. For me, it seems to especially help if I do something to keep busy – watch TV, read a book, do a puzzle, go for a walk, etc.

Bumble, getting close to two weeks sounds good. Glad you joined us!

NewHouse2012, glad you joined us!

I hope you all don’t mind this long post. I’ve been in a previous class and found it really helped to post every day and when possible I try to give a shout-out to everyone who has posted since my previous one. This class is pretty large so I won’t be able to do this every day but I think it helps us get to know each other. I feel very strongly that posting every day helps and if any of us fall off the wagon, it really helps to climb right back on and get support here. I know that it makes a big difference for me to feel that I’m still ok if I slip, even though I’d rather never slip. My goal is to make it through March without a slip.

Day 7 today and feeling good!

Have a good day to everyone.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:17 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Good morning and Happy Saturday I made it through day one, and I hope all of you have made it through another day as well without alcohol. Yesterday was tough..I was hungover, bloated, irritable and exhausted. I realize that even if I "sleep" for 8 hours after a night of drinking, it's not real sleep at all. Strangely, weekends have been easier for me lately. There is something about coming home to a glass (followed by many more) of wine after a long day. Anyway, I've been down this road and I know what to expect. I feel a million times better to day, and usually by day 4 I'm feeling so good...and wouldn't a glass of wine make me feel even better??? So ridiculous.
In the beginning, life seems so empty without my friend alcohol, my constant companion. But I know it gets better..I had 2 months last fall.
I'm looking forward to the benefits of sobriety to come, but for right now, I'm happy to be awake at 6 am on a Saturday with a clear head, wellrested, and with a positive outlook.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:47 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Thanks for you post Saskia.

Jimjim, where are you mate, hope you're ok!

Forabetterlife, great to see you again mate. Like you I had 6-7 weeks sober last September onwards and then the wheels fell of again. Still, this time hopefully we will both conquer our insatiable thirst for alcohol. It really is great to be in the same class as you again!
Old 03-02-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Yes--Jimjim--where are you, you started us off for March, let us know how you're doing.

Forabtterlife--I had 2 months last fall too and felt tremendous. So easy to kid oursleves that we can handle 1 or 2. Then we're back in this awful cycle.

Sassy-thanks for the post and the call-outs, I agree posting here often is extremely helpful.
Sober Saturdays are awesome aren't they? I'm off for a run now, I'll check in with everyone later.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Day 2 feeling much better with a better nights sleep. My outlook is more optimistic today. I have hope. Wishing everyone a good, real, authentic day.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi I wish to join..

Day one today.

It is 2.30 and normal for 4.00 would be time to crack open a beer...

I hope it can pass with out issue...

Thanks

Bread
Old 03-02-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hey bread, welcome to SR and the class of March.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's great to see all the March people supporting each other.

I hope everyone has a fantastic and sober weekend.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Morning all, count me in. Today is my birthday, and I dont think I want to drink anymore. I have relapsed many times, but today i am 40 and have noticed my disease steadily progressing. I once said that as long as I am not drinking during the day I was OK and not an alcoholic. Now I seem to be drinking all day on the weekends, and sneaking out from work around lunch to head to the local pub for a few beers.

I need to get this figured out now that I am 40, because if I dont Im afraid I will never see 50.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I think Im gonna go to a meeting.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I'm in too. I was trying to figure out how to post and get started on any forum but nothing was quite working for me till March class showed up. Thanks JimJim!

I have about 2 weeks sober and the first week I literally felt poisoned I was so sick. The physical withdrawal for me was not all that fun and actually scared me for a couple of days. However, my poor body and mind that I so abused in the past is feeling better. Most days have no desire to drink but its interesting to me that every once in awhile I wake up with the urge to drink. That's a new one for me. Passes within minutes..even before my feet hit the floor but I think that's so curious. Oh well, as long as I don't actually drink my brain can do whatever it wants for now best to everyone out there.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Welcome Bread, IreLander, and 360shoes!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bread View Post
Hi I wish to join..

Day one today.

It is 2.30 and normal for 4.00 would be time to crack open a beer...

I hope it can pass with out issue...

Thanks

Bread
Welcome, Bread! I wish you much success. Many of us find it really helpful to post here for support whenever we need to.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Happy birthday irelander I'm also 40 this year, going to start meeting next week. It would be great to reach 50 without another hangover.

Welcome 360shoes, congratulations on 2 weeks sober. Interesting name too!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IreLander View Post
Morning all, count me in. Today is my birthday, and I dont think I want to drink anymore. I have relapsed many times, but today i am 40 and have noticed my disease steadily progressing. I once said that as long as I am not drinking during the day I was OK and not an alcoholic. Now I seem to be drinking all day on the weekends, and sneaking out from work around lunch to head to the local pub for a few beers.

I need to get this figured out now that I am 40, because if I dont Im afraid I will never see 50.

Thanks
Welcome, IreLander. A birthday is an excellent time to stop drinking - as is any time :-). The older we get the more alcohol takes a toll on our bodies and brains. As I discovered to my horror, liver disease usually creeps up silently and only becomes obvious when it is well advanced. I think you are wise to deal with it now!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 360shoes View Post
I'm in too. I was trying to figure out how to post and get started on any forum but nothing was quite working for me till March class showed up. Thanks JimJim!

I have about 2 weeks sober and the first week I literally felt poisoned I was so sick. The physical withdrawal for me was not all that fun and actually scared me for a couple of days. However, my poor body and mind that I so abused in the past is feeling better. Most days have no desire to drink but its interesting to me that every once in awhile I wake up with the urge to drink. That's a new one for me. Passes within minutes..even before my feet hit the floor but I think that's so curious. Oh well, as long as I don't actually drink my brain can do whatever it wants for now best to everyone out there.
Welcome 360shoes! Congratulations on being sober for about two weeks. It takes time to get that firmly established. Glad you are feeling better! It takes time for our bodies to heal and the addiction to feel less difficult. I think it's always important to remember that we can't drink. Period.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi, I'd like to join the March group. I am a repeat failure, and have a lot to prove to myself. I have been reading up on how to handle my AV and I think I'm better prepared mentally now. I'd love to make it past day 13 which is my record so far and then go far far beyond that. I think posting here helps make me accountable. Good luck everyone, stay strong we can do this.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hey everyone.

Lot's of posts to catch up on. Just a quick post to say I made it to day 2, It's been a while for that. I still feel scatty and can't write a proper sentence.

Bit embarrassed about drunkenly starting the group. I really needed to reach out from all day drinking oblivion though. It makes me feel pretty desperate.

Great to see some familiar people here too, If you know what I mean... It's a blessing to a this place and know that you are not alone in your struggles and receive warm comments.

I'm pretty unhappy and lonely which always leads me back to drink after abstaining, I've got lots of work to do and need to have the courage to move forward with my life and finally make the changes I know I need to make. Got to take action this month.

I'm sick of my self-indulged, miserable, clap trap waffle. I never really know what to post, I feel like I never have anything to say, I usually delete what I write. I might even post this ! I'm hoping to be to busy this month making the changes, hopefully I can tell you all about that whilst staying involved by being a supportive group member.

Meh, I'm glad I'm here anyway. *Quickly post reply before deleting