Notices

One Year and Over Club- Part 10

Old 02-28-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Carl,

I'm not one to say everything happens for a reason. IMO, horrible things happen, for no reason, and our job is to create reason from it.

However, it does seem your mini breakdown over the dog, followed by you whipping out the toolbox and getting to work sharpening your sobriety skills, was the Universes little way of getting you alert to the vulnerability of sobriety. In this way, the bigger stressor with your wife's employment loss (and whatever comes with that) does not blindside your sobriety. I hope this makes sense.

Anyway I am glad you posted. You are one of the people on SR whose longer term sobriety went a long way toward encouraging me to reach a year. I know only one person in my world with longerterm sobriety. So those of you with long-term sobriety have a very big influence on me. Far more then you'd imagine.

I hope you keep posting Carl so we know how you're doing and coping.
Best, EQ.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  
instant

Carl todate I feel I have not been really tested by life- I guess this will happen. Intense emotions don't happen every day.

It sounds like you had a handle on what was happening quickly and you took corrective action.

Maybe you are shaken but not stirred.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I always tell people Carl - we can sometimes revert to someone we used to be - even just for a second - but when it's all said and done, it's the response that counts. and your response was good - straight to the toolbox.

I hope you'll find that a bad couple of days is just that - a bad couple of days.

You're on guard now - I believe you'll get through this just fine

Hope things pick up soon on both fronts.

I'm sorry for your news too soberjim - I'm glad she's not in pain.

D
Old 02-28-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Stay free Carl. Dog housebreaking can be a hair-tearing problem but it's not worth our lives.

Sending you more positive vibes. So sorry about your wife's layoff. That really sucks.

Way to go on whipping out your Recovery toolbelt and putting your plan in action.

I know whatcha mean about grieving our classmates who might be/are drinking. That one hurts me too. But Recovery is an individual job. We get better, smarter, clearer, whatever as we can, when we can. For my money, none of the things that are getting better would be happening if I were drinking. It's black or white for me. My bottom wasn't as low or dark or dangerous as someone else's but it was mine and I was getting NO WHERE except drunk.

I'm another one of those who think it's easy easier to just be a Non Drinker than to be in the hell of planning/plotting/monitoring.

I want a tablet! I do! I will get one once Husband's contracting business is somewhat on an even keel. Today's expensive purchases were compostable doggy poop bags & the special chews he gets.

Glad we're all GETTING OVER. Ah man, I crack myself up! That's a funny joke.

Lookit me. Going to be 2 years old tomorrow. *BOWS in gratitude to Our Dee*
Old 02-28-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  
Administrator

me? I did nothin'...you did the work

2 years is awesome Frances! :bounce
Old 02-28-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Frances, two years is crazy good! Wow!!
Old 02-28-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Looking forward to celebrating with you tomorrow, frances!! Maybe I'll make my special punch!

Newby..not much to the oscar pool. $10 buy in..you fill out a ballot..all 24 categories. I made a spreadsheet of everyone's picks and created a "group" on facebook and attached it there so everyone knew everyone's picks. I kept them up to date and we chatted about the show there. Good fun.

Carl..sorry you're going through a rough time. I'm glad you have some sober time under your belt so you can better combat those feelings. Good for you for knowing what needed to be done. Glad you posted...yours and the responses helped me today.

Glad to hear the good news from you folks today! I've been off line due to the storm that rolled through here Tuesday night. Had a snow day on Wednesday, and I've been having a heck of a time trying to get the internet back. Bought a new router thinking it blew due to the power outtage, but it still didn't work. Comcast cable swore it wasn't them. Today, I took the battery out of the modem to reboot it and it worked! It worked for every device except the desktop that it's connected to! Can't still get online there, it's not detecting the router, it seems. My h and kids are going up north for their twice a year Father/Kids weekend. H has buddies who bring their kids and they have a good time. It'll be a quiet one for me around here. Happy Friday, everyone!
Old 02-28-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Mirages punch and cake for everyone!

Soberjim, sorry about your dogs illness. Sending you wishes for many happy days to enjoy with your pal. Dogs make us whole and they don't last long enough. (())
Old 02-28-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Carl everyone else has said just about all I would or could, except this..... (((((Carl))))) You can do this, you already are.

Soberjim...sorry about your pooch, that sucks

Frances.....hun!!! 2 years.....I love that you are just a little behind me, kicking my butt on the way up. Go girl! btw...its a HUGE treat to myself getting a tablet, and luckily the one I wanted suddenly went on special($50off) the day after I had decided to get one so i got me a bargain!!!

I am annoyed at myself (hah, on many levels but) because now I have an infection, small but still, in the main op site my belly button from last weeks surgery. So 2 trips to doctors, then pharmacy has left me more broke this week!! Pooooooo.....

ps, R&A possums are creepy nasty little critters, and over here in NZ are considered a pest! So some get to despatch them freely at will. I still dont like animals being killed though.

pps, IP... i used to have a house that have a corrugated iron roof and the sound of those possum claws screeching down the roof was just like horror music in films!!!!!!

Enjoy the rest of friday my Overs
Old 02-28-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Frances! Woo hoo!!!
Two years!

Jim I was so wrapped up about Carl I overlooked your issue with your furkid. I am so sorry.

Manz good on ya! Ain't modern medicine wunnerful? Expensive, but wunnerful! Congrats on the good buy too. You will love the tablet.

Mirage, your ethernet card is most likely blown. Get a new card and install it yourself. I keep one on hand because I have two wired desktops and have had them go bad before. How do you know? That is the easy part. Go here and follow the simple directions.
How to Test If an Ethernet Card Is Good | eHow.com

If it is bad there are several online sellers that carry them for about 15-25 bucks. Make sure you get a 10/100/1000 gigabit card if you do replace it. The gigabit card makes a big difference in transfer speeds between wired computers on the same network sharing files/music/videos.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

the years mount up quickly in sobriety
Old 02-28-2013, 09:08 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

I know what you mean, Cap'n. And they just plain disappear when drinking.

Originally Posted by frances2011
___________can be a hair-tearing problem but it's not worth our lives.
I love that. In fact that may become my go-to tool moving forward. I can just fill in the blank for any given situation. Anyway, congrats on the two years, Frances!!!

Nice job, Carl. Agree with the rest. The test isn't whether you ever feel the pull again; the test is what you do next. Looks to me like you nailed it.

Jim, I'm sorry about the loss of your dad, and also about your dog's diagnosis. For me it has been the other way around. I lost my best canine buddy a little over a year ago to bone cancer, and my dad was diagnosed a few months ago with pancreatic cancer that's spread to his liver. I take great comfort in the fact that sobriety has allowed me to handle these things in a healthy way. It hurts, but it should hurt. In a sense, the pain is a testament to the love.

I'm glad I'm not the only one here who doesn't like possums, Manz. I don't care if they are the only marsupials in North America. I would have voted for koalas had anyone asked. Still, skunk or possum, I don't want to see any critters killed that don't need killing. That's why I'm going to try to get the skunk to move out before calling a trapper. I don't think that process ends well for the skunk.

Itch, you're right about them being major vectors out here, but my understanding is that even infected skunks can't transmit the virus until it's reached a late stage, and by then they're pretty easy to spot. This guy is behaving like a healthy skunk; only venturing out at the night, foraging for bugs and such, and then heading back to the den before dawn. He's a creature of habit... a trait I shall exploit when I put my plan into effect on Sunday... (Diabolical laughter goes here.)
Old 02-28-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  
Re-Member

R&A,
Now this I gotta hear. I have been every which way about the 'dillos and since they are too stupid to trap, there is no alternative, or you can let them destroy the foundation under the house and tear up the yard to a degree most have no idea of until they get them movng in. Now no matter how you trap/restrain skunks, they will spray you from the cage if you try to pick it up. I am not a possum fan either.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  

I'm not going to trap him. I'm going to effectively create a one-way door, so he's free to leave anytime he wants, but he can never return. Like Hotel California, but in reverse.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:09 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

I will say I would not take on an armadillo. I think they burrow better than skunks. And, they're armor-plated. Hello? It's the 21st century. Armor-plating on animals has been out of style for 65 million years.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:42 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

I just could not resist sharing this...... something to make me laugh out loud today, when I felt like crying.

In fact I did cry at the psychologist....his wonderful words that have stayed with me(after only our 3rd session together)....... "therapy is going to be very hard for you *Manz*, you will be uncomfortable, hurt, feel pain you have tried to avoid for most of your life, so lets find what it is that is going to keep you going through those hard times to come, what you can hold on to".....my kind of therapist I have to say!

Oops....anyway...I meant to share something......haha......a friday giggle......

The unsuspecting aussie backpacker decided to help the cute furry critter.....
Attached Images
Old 03-01-2013, 01:19 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  
instant

Frances congrats ona two years. What seemed an impossible eternity is at hand!!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:06 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

good seeing you cappy

good one manz! lol

and way to go fran!
Old 03-01-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats, Frances! Two years is HUGE
Old 03-01-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 460 (permalink)