Notices

Class Of November 2012 - Part 2

Old 11-19-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Originally Posted by Magnificent7 View Post
Melatonin works well for me at nights if I can't sleep. No addiction risk, either..it's a natural steroid that your body makes. You can feel drowsy in the morn, so regulate dosage (half or whatever) until you are comfortable. Good luck everyone! A lot of success stories here.
Yes. Definitely do this. You can wake up feeling really groggy and drowsy if you take too much.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Originally Posted by JJay View Post
Yes, he did Out 4-6 weeks. This is awful. Hernandez out. Gronk out. He had a good shot at breaking his own record this year too
Gronk can play with a broken arm.

Have a good day everyone. Newbies looking good.

As far as checking in goes, I like to know everyone is doing well. It makes me feel good to see everyone's days going up.

Day 17 under way...
Old 11-19-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Originally Posted by veryready View Post
Gronk can play with a broken arm.
RoboGRONK!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Day 14 underway.. (I liked that phrasing cause I was slightly confused. I have 13 days sober... but its the 14th day..lol)
Old 11-19-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Day 9. Productive day yesterday. My place is beginning to look like a drunk doesn't live there anymore. Outwardly visible signs of improvement are very importatnt to me at this stage in the game. Oddly, I used to ALWAYS drink when I was cleaning, organizing, etc. But nothing was really clean and really organized. I'd stop halfway thru and get on the $%&*( phone. Next day, shove it all in a pile in a corner and start back over with the kitchen I had destroyed before bed. I'm sure someone can identify.

On my way to go see a matinee of Flight. I've heard good things about it on this site. Haven't been inside a movie theatre for like 7 years. I like crowds, but just not at the movies with phones and talking and I'm short - hard to see. Plus, I suppose subconciously, I justified saving that money on entertainment to spend on booze and then just rent the movie later. I think it should be pretty quiet at a Monday 4pm showing. Have to drive to the next town over, but think it is important that I see it sooner rather than later and calling it my treat for 9 days. Day 10 is the day I slipped up last time.

Great to see all of you guys each day!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SkylerTime View Post
Day 14 underway.. (I liked that phrasing cause I was slightly confused. I have 13 days sober... but its the 14th day..lol)
Lol I know what you mean! I have a sober app and it really bugs me that it never changes until midnight. I feel like I'm 1 day behind lol

S x
Old 11-19-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

So, I have to confess, I am really rationalizing having wine tonight. Argh. I am so weak! I had a good check up. A check up for something sort of scary, possible lymphoma issue. It was good, and if the blood is clear today(i will know in a couple of weeks) i will be clear and not need these yearly check ups anymore. This is a marker that was found, I have never actually had the lymphoma. It had been found incidentally when I had to get worked up for my liver issues 2 years ago. But unrelated.

Anyway, So, this is a huge trigger for me. A celebratory thing, a relief thing, a "I have been so good for 5 days, it is just one night" thing.

Here is where it gets hard for me.

In the past, I would just do it, and not be this open here. Now here I am.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

rochele - first, congratulations that your check-up was good. But, you can be strong and not drink. You have come so far. I would really like both of us to make it since we have the same sobriety date. I am getting ready to leave work but will log on when I get home. Just wait it out a little longer.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Rochele, I drank at every excuse. Think how you'll feel when you wake up tomorrow having resisted the wine. It's a short term reward. Go buy yourself a nail varnish as a reward tomorrow, or whatever floats your boat that is not booze. 😜

S x
Old 11-19-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Rochele, don't do it! Celebrate with Sparkling Cider or something. Do you want to start Day 1 all over again??
Old 11-19-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Thank you. The hardest will be when my husband comes into the family room tonight to watch Castle. Oops, forgot to add, with a beer in hand! That is the hard part.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Rochele I'm going to bed now (UK). When I log on in the morning I'm going to read good things from you, promise?!!

S x
Old 11-19-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Day 7
Yesterday went so smooth. Today, not so much. Bought my boy a present while we were shopping, brought it home and it broke after about 5 minutes of him playing with it. Cheap POS!. My level of anger at this is well beyond reason. I'm craving weed so much right now, as it was my goto anti-stress, anger killer. I will not smoke. So I post instead. It's good for me to feel like a GD junkie, reminds me why I'm here I guess.
When I quit cigarettes back in Jan I kept telling myself that no matter how shi##y I feel, smoking is not an option. I mean constantly telling myself this. It worked, so I'll try it again. New mantra. Anyone with ideas about anger management? I can sure use them, although my BP has probably halved during the writing of this post.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
I am new here, but have quickly learned, for me, it is never just one. It may not ever be crazy, days long benders like some stories I read, but it is *never* just one. Almost always, if I start a bottle of wine, I finish it.

I tried on vacation(where my relapse really took off). I had dh get me one glass of wine at the bar(I had none in the room). And I had him go get me another. One was not enough. Neither was 2, really, but it was all I was getting. By the end of a 2.5 week vacation, I easily had a whole bottle most nights.
sorry I had to go dig this up, but please do the same for me some day...
Old 11-19-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I can manage some pretty bad stress with deep breathing, and imagery. But I got it from aa self-hypnosis class I once took(for weight loss). LOL, I never lost a pound, but the techniques have transferred and helped with stress. With anger, it is so in the moment, you need to be so self aware t take pause before you snap. That is hard for me. I was mean to my daughter Friday(it was day 2 sober).

I need to manage that better. I snapped irrationally because I was grumpy from giving up drinking, I am sure.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

I don't have any tips for anger management, but agree toys today are POS. I tend to get into fights with my oldest who is 12 and can be completely irrational. On the way to school this morning it was all i could do to keep my mouth shut, but I took a few deep breaths and tried to remember that middle school stinks.
Rochele, know that I really admire you for doing this while your husband is drinking.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

day 4 over
Old 11-19-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

On a different thread I heard about the documentary "Rain in my Heart". Watched all 10 segments on YouTube. Quite eye opening. I think we should all watch this movie. Alcohol and drugs (even weed) are poison and will kill us eventually. Fast or slow, dead is still dead. It's up to us not to let this happen. I've lost 2 friends to OD, both my parents to cigarette caused cancer (mother in Feb), and another heavy drinker friend very suddenly died of LIVER cancer just this past July. He went to the Dr. on a friday with abdominal pain. Off to emergency surgery. It was so advanced they couldn't stop the bleeding, and died two days later. All of 54. Great artist and was loved by many people. We must not forget this is a struggle for our lives. Sorry to be a downer.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you're doing better now Rochele.
In the end, noone here ever woke up thinking 'gee I'm glad I drank last night'.

It's ok to feel the desire but it's important to remember we don't need to act on it.
We can make different better choices

Arrrdubya - exercise works like a treat for me

D
Old 11-19-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Another day coming to a close. My interview got postponed til Wednesday. No big deal. Also took a much needed day off from the gym. I took a nap just to get some rest and ended up passing out for three hours. That definitely wasn't my intent. Watching some Monday Night Football (was really hoping for a closer game) and just relaxing.

Have a good night Sober Ninjas!