http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2012-a-20.html

D
Old 11-17-2012, 11:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

just checking in, day 3 :-)
Old 11-17-2012, 11:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi,

I'm joining this thread. I was a class of May but I feel off the bandwagon many times.

I am an Alcoholic of the Binge drinking variety.

I'm Australian, female and in my mid 20's and I'm studying at university.

My last drink was yesterday and it involved a very messy end of semester party and a vomit in the bushes outside the pub.

Hi guys.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to the thread Jane

D
Old 11-17-2012, 11:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Jane. Binge drinker straying over to daily drinker here. It's so tiresome being a binge drinker as the time between binges is for recovery. I spent most of my 20s & 30s like that.

Stick around, you'll do just fine here.

S x
Old 11-17-2012, 11:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Sazzle

I love your new Display picture Dee!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi all. I'm just checking in on day 23

I want to thank you all for your posts and thoughtful words. It's really helped me this weekend, which has been a challenge for me. My thoughts have turned to 'well perhaps I'm not an alcoholic anyway'.

I had to remind myself of how I felt at the beginning: racing heart, sweats, vertigo, weird eye movements, odd body odour & terrible skin. Now when I lie down and do a body scan all is fine. Except my brain which seems to think I can drink! I know I can't.

I need to busy myself as all this time lying around with just my thoughts is not good. Just wish I had more energy!

Wishing everyone a happy Sunday.

S x

Last edited by Sazzle; 11-17-2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: iPhone auto correct madness!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL thanks Jane

I changed it tho - someone else had my avatar

D

Last edited by Dee74; 11-18-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well for first time I would think in 10 years I have gone Sunday to Sunday with out a drink so on day 8. Weekend was hard lots of just a couple or 1 drink all week been good but managed to get through

Pleantly of temptations and craving, thankfully not the withdrawl others have had but i did seem to loose a day in the week somewhere.

All in all feel fresher/ cleaner it is hard to describe but I do have flu systems coming on so still could be withdrawing but seem to be sleeping fitfully and dreaming wierd so lots of work to do.

Next target christmas and keep up good work all.

My next major challenge will be my birthday in 2 weeks traditionally a beer soaked event at the pub and to make it worse it is my 40th. Told wife and all no party and as I am trying to loose weight I am not drinking so this is my sort of coming out I suppose and I think wife happy about this as we are putting money towards a rack for the truck for the tent instead of any celerbration.

Thanks for support and my thoughts are with all who are also travelling this path
Old 11-18-2012, 02:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sazzle That "perhaps Im not an alcoholic" voice is terrible! I've had a few sobriety tries and each time I would get that voice and say "well I'll just have 1 or 2" then before I knew it I was wasted again.

gorc Good work on the 8 days. I can't wait to start feeling fresh again. Birthdays are a hard temptation so it's good that you're talking with the wife about what you don't want.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yup Jane, I know for a fact that if I caved in to 'one' or 'a few' it's only a matter of time till I'm back at binge/blackout stage. The mind is very forgetful about pain (childbirth for example) I feel so much better now that I've almost forgotten the reason I'm not drinking!

It's a glorious sunny day here now and I'm off out for a power walk to get some perspective.

S x
Old 11-18-2012, 04:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Hi everyone, I'd like to join the group. I am on day 4. I've been a daily drinker for almost 10 years and after struggling with the self-loathing for so long, I finally decided to admit to myself that I am an alcoholic and need to stop. Not for a week or a month; I need to stop forever. My poison of choice is wine. So far, I am doing well. I have not had any major side effects of withdrawal except for poor sleeping, but I hope that gets better in time. I read through all the posts for this group and could identify with many of your struggles.

I am a mom of 2 and married for almost 19 years. My DH has wanted me to stop drinking for a long time. I am a high functioning alcoholic. I have a good job and other than all the money I've wasted on wine, I have not suffered a consequence like DWI, but that's probably as much luck as anything else. Drinking is a big part of our social circle. I went to my first social event yesterday where wine was being served and I stuck with water. I am trying to focus on the feeling I have when I wake up without a hangover and red puffy face and I don't walk into the kitchen and see the empty wine bottles on the counter and ask myself "did i really drink that much?" For the past 3 mornings, I like the person I see in the mirror.

I hope everyone has a postive day. I'm off to do grocery shopping. We can't buy alcohol in our state until noon on Sunday so I thought going to the store now will elminate any interal debate when I get to the wine section. LoL.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am here on day 4! Made it through my husband downing 7-8 beers. His usual Sat. night, and mine would easily have been a bottle of wine and more, right along side of him. It is not fair that I suddenly feel angry towards him because he is still doing what I was doing, well, last Wednesday evening. But I do resent his drinking. It is what it is. It was with him that I went to drinking depths like never before. I should have listened to the little voice in my head about 19 years ago.

Woulda shouldas. I have two great kids and he is a good father. He really is. This needs to be about me and my choices.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome charleesavedme

D
Old 11-18-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dee - your new avatar made me smile. love it.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Good for you, Rochele! I'm sure that was really tough and I can understand your anger. I hope it gets easier for you with time. Let's hope that November 14 will the turning point in OUR lives no matter how those around us behave.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just checking in on day 15!

Welcome SoberJane and Charlessavedme. You'll find alot of support here from people in similar situation. keep reading and posting.

Keep going strong everyone.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Rochelle it must be difficult for you. My flatmate is still drinking heavy and I can smell it in the flat after a heavy night. But he's not my significant other, just a really good friend and lodger. Funnily enough he's had a sober week and 'only' been out for one w/e evening out. Perhaps I'm leading by example!

Anyway it is our journey and not theirs. Hold onto that bright morning feeling. It's my face part of the day now.

FMFT woo hoo to day 15!!
Old 11-18-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am not yet up on who everyone is, but want to congratulate everyone for their efforts, 15 days, 23, 4, and day one, well done and in the right direction.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

And yes! It is good to wake feeling good. I am tired, but I do not sleep soundly. But I feel wayyy better than if I had 5-6 glasses of wine last night. and made 2 batches of cookies last night, and now have granola in the oven. My kids are loving me this weekend!

Going to take a walk with hubby after church and make a healthy dinner tonight.

Anything to avoid the messy house, ugh.