Notices

Class Of November 2012 - Part 2

Old 11-18-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sazzle View Post
FMFT woo hoo to day 15!!
Thanks Sazzle and congrats to you on 23 - that's awesome! I'm right there with you on the thoughts, reminding myself of all the reasons I'm here in the first place. Keeping my body and mind busy is helping. Hope you have a happy sober Sunday
Old 11-18-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Hello all you November Ninjas.

Kicking off Day 5 here. I'm gonna make a nice breakfast and hit the gym. Then after that it's football, football, football.

Good job everyone! The weekend is almost over (I know that's usually a bad thing but it's the hardest part for most)
Old 11-18-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
Woulda shouldas. I have two great kids and he is a good father. He really is. This needs to be about me and my choices.
Glad you were able to get through it, Rochele. My husband, too, has not and will not (at least any time soon) change his ways to accommodate mine. I'm 99.9% sure that's why I've been here off and on for the past six years trying to make it on my own. I love him too incredibly much to ever leave him for this, though, and I've come to realize that this entire WORLD seems to revolve around drinking ... at least in my immediate and surrounding world. I might as well practice being around him...

I look back at my posts and see so many filled with frustration, anger and resentment at him. For his pouring a martini or wine first thing after walking in the door after work every night, for standing there drinking a second or third as he converses with me (when he knows I'm trying to remain sober), for getting a buzz on, for making our bedroom smell like a distillery when he snores, etc. Posting allowed me to vent and got me through those times without totally blowing up. I could also come here and focus on changing myself and trying to help others rather than focusing on all my attention on him.

You're right to say this is about YOU. You deserve so much more than what you've been allowing yourself up to this point.

For me? It's been easier this first week so far than any other (and that's NOT to say it hasn't been hard!) to ignore what he's doing, because I've made the very conscious decision to separate myself from that part of our relationship. To remember that it's him I love and not the times we've had drinking. Hopefully, these thoughts will keep me on the right track for GOOD. If he really begins to bug me, I'll find something to do on my own or with one of my kids.

Perhaps some day... when I've been successfully sober long enough... he'll recognize his own problem (I'm pretty darned certain he has one) and join me. He'll need, however, to do it in his own time just as I'm doing it in mine.

GOOD LUCK! It'll take some work on OUR parts, but hopefully we can help each other...

Day #7. One day at a time...
Old 11-18-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Day 4 here for me. Sorry didn't check in yesterday. My son helped me connect my wii to the tv, by phone, and this took me awhile. Not one of the sharpest tools in the shed when it comes to this stuff, then he told me he would call again to help me connect netflix to the wii.l

Well I was actually sober, and decided I can try to do this myself. Took me awhile, about 1 1/2 hours, but I did it. My biggest problem was trying to find the password for my wireless internet. Sot so excited that I did it, that I spent the rest of the night watching movies.

Have a good day everyone. Going to friends house today, so will check in tomorrow
Old 11-18-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you new leaf. I think, I hope, this time will be the time for me. i see there are at leaF 4 of us joining this week or this November month that are very similar. Charleesavedme, as well, and Junebug. This helps me so much, as I feel a connection and an understanding of the day to day of our triggers, drinking habits, and lives.

I am hoping that will help. Last time, I had a good group, but just not anyone I exactly identified with, or felt accountable to. I am reaching out and grabbing onto a few new members here this time. Trying to get a support system for myself(and to provide one for others) to try to really work on it.

When i got sober for 4+ months a couple of years ago, it was out of fear. Utter, absolute fear. Then that lifted after some good doctor appointments and weight loss and great bloodwork. So, I slipped. I was doing it for the wrong reason.

This time, I have a stronger feeling of just being sick of it. Sick of the pull it has on me, the wasted time, the mess in my house and the laziness it creates in me. I want more out of life. And I hope I have not further damaged my health, or done so beyond repair. I feel pretty fine, but notice I was dragging even on sober days of late.

Enough is enough.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Charleesavedme, just saying hi. Day 4 for me too, and we are also headed into 19 years married with 2 kids. Oops. Nope, 18 years, but close! I had missed your intro ahead of my post earlier.

Welcome to November and SR!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Day 6
Slept like the dead last night. Stopped trying to figure it out and just didn't drink or smoke.I think that will be my plan for today also. Thank you all for being here and keep posting!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Just A side note. I'm way into news. I'll read news websites for an hour while I have breakfast and drink my coffee. First thing this morning I got on SR. Wife noticed too.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

This time, I have a stronger feeling of just being sick of it. Sick of the pull it has on me, the wasted time, the mess in my house and the laziness it creates in me. I want more out of life. And I hope I have not further damaged my health, or done so beyond repair. I feel pretty fine, but notice I was dragging even on sober days of late.

Enough is enough.
Wow... These very words have come out of my very own mouth!

We all DO need to support one another!

Thanks and hope you have a successful, productive and enjoyable day! May not be able to get on again until tomorrow, because we're traveling to see daughter play soccer but will DEFINITELY take time to catch up with the other posters you mention (along with the rest).

Stay strong. Stay focused.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Way to go Arrdubya.

I'm on day 8 and something I never heard before (during many half-a***** attempts at this in the past for the wrong reasons) is to think the drunk through to the end. I used to just decide to drink and do it dangit. Now, if I take a few minutes and think about how I will feel in the morning, who I might drunk-dial, what I might break this time in my house, the fact that I will have to start over again, etc., etc. it really helps me. 20 years ago I was in treatment (in hopes of avoiding some legal stuff), and they told me not to think about anything, just do AA. (There are also many great qualities in AA!) I am an overly analytical person (as many of us are) and that never set well with me.

Members on SR sharing how well this technique works has been a godsend for me.

I think it works because it actually makes me feel stronger/smarter (and my self-esteem needs that right now). I am capable of not focusing on avoiding the alcohol (short-sighted) but instead focusing on avoiding the consequences and the outcome of drinking. The alcohol may be fun for a short time (not so much anymore anyway) but the consequences can last a long time. I always had the live for today mentality - long before using, but my quality of everyday life was so bad after 30 years of drinking that mentality was really pretty stupid. I still try to stay in the day, and take it 1day at a time, but I no longer can afford to say "the heck with tomorrow, I'll do what I want today".

Sorry to ramble.....
Old 11-18-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Originally Posted by JJay View Post
...Kicking off Day 5 here. I'm gonna make a nice breakfast and hit the gym. Then after that it's football, football, football....
here's a shoutout to jjay. I Saw you come back to SR the other day and with everything on your plate 5 days is unreal. keep it up.

Maybe going to ride the bike and rotate the tires on the car and then football, football, football...

Have a good strong day everyone.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Solstice3 looks like you are definitely committed congrats!! Sometimes it's hard to focus on the long term negative effects of booze and make it resonate enough to keep you enough from grabbing that six/12 pack and putting it in the fridge for fun night of blacking out. (sarcasm). I had to make a list of the detriments to stay focused. Early onset dementia, liver transplant, having my kids smell my booze breath every night b4 bed. Wondering if they were looking forward to their first blackout experience based on me the terrible role model. Booze just can't offer anything to the living.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Rochele, i feels the same way of just being sick of it and i want to be free of the hold alcohol has on me. I agree with new leaf that alcohol is always going to be around me so i have to learn to deal with it. Amy, good for you for setting up the wii and spending the night watching movies...sober. i hope all of us do stick together and make it this time.

I have a funny story from yesterday...my husband and i went out shopping and we stopped at a store called Tuesday Morning. I thought maybe it was closed so i told my husband to drop me off and i'd make sure they were open before he parked. Well, i forgot there was a curb and when i went to walk, i tripped on the curb and did a faceplant onto the sidewalk. All i could think was, "great, i'm finally making an attempt to be sober and here i am falling right in front of a crowded store." But, you know, i had to laugh at the irony of it all. And falling sober sure is less embarrassing than falling drunk.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Bri

My name is Bri and I am an alcoholic with a lot relapses. It didn't take me long to learn I was an alcoholic but it's taken me a LONG time to accept it if that makes sense. I feel I am there now and finally worked step 1. Went to my first voluntary AA meeting Friday and took my first ever chip. I'm on day 3 and plan to go back Monday (to AA that is). Thank you for this community.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Originally Posted by veryready View Post
here's a shoutout to jjay. I Saw you come back to SR the other day and with everything on your plate 5 days is unreal. keep it up.

Maybe going to ride the bike and rotate the tires on the car and then football, football, football...

Have a good strong day everyone.
This really means a lot to me. I was feeling very "blah" and depressed this morning. Just one of those mornings I guess. But I forced myself to go to the gym and had a good 2+ hour workout.

Now I'm watching STL/NYJ and waiting for my Pats and their 4:25 kickoff.

Hope everyone is having a good Sunday.

And Welcome Bri
Old 11-18-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Welcome Bri. Good for you on the meeting and a chip! That is a big step.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

JJay, I read your story yesterday as well, and am glad to see you feeling more upbeat today. Enjoy the Pats. I am sure hubby will be tuning in soon as well.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

JJay, I read your story yesterday as well, and am glad to see you feeling more upbeat today. Enjoy the Pats. I am sure hubby will be tuning in soon as well.

Thank you

Are you somewhere in New England??
Old 11-18-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Yes, somewhere in New England.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
teacher in need of knowledge

My day 17 since 11/1.
meetings...therapy...talking...support