Notices

A New Day (Munchkin's Thread) Part 2

Old 10-02-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I know what you mean about alcohol fading. I stood looking at the wine bottles in the grocery yesterday...and almost felt slightly revolted.....so weird.

I stopped therapy after many years, last spring. Think I may return, as I'm quite anxious about my daughter's health. She needs a lot of support, but I feel run into the ground some days.

Especially tired tonight, as hubby is out of town, I've worked, helped my daughter, taken care of our 7 dogs and have two loaves of pumpkin bread in the oven. Looking forward to that and a steamy mug of coffee in the morning
Old 10-03-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Ooohh nice! Pumpkin bread! Might have to try that soon. Told hubby I'd like to buy a few extra pumpkins and squash for baking and cooking. I found out recently that you can dehydrate pumpkin or winter squash and then use it later for pumpkin pie! Very cool.

Oh and very weird. I too was so tired yesterday. I just about collapsed by the time I got home. I was supposed to work on apple pie filling last night and I had no energy to do it. I had just enough to quickly get dinner done, help son with his mountain of homework (2 spelling assignments, 2 math), and then work on seed inventory.
I'm giving away some heirloom seeds to a friend who is helping me get the word out on my blog. If your interested in some seeds by the way I have some!
Let me know.

Oh by the way, I get the extreme pleasure of being able to look at all my coworkers and say "I told you so". It is DEAD at work here. Nothing going on at all.
Usually on Wednesdays by this time we have issued about 300+ tickets. Today that number is 58. Thank God we've been squirrelling stuff away.
Hubby and I have kind of gotten into preparing for possible bad times ahead and I swear someone or something keeps whispering to keep it up.
You ever get that feeling pond?

Still here, still sober. And feeling very congested today. And groggy from the Unisom last night. Note to self. Don't take those on weekday nights.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I hear that little voice, but can't do too much about it, as we've got a good many medical bills for my daughter. My sister's husband lost his job last Feb and things are getting really tough for them Well, one thing's for sure....your family will NOT go hungry, with all the canning, freezing and dehydrating you've done

Pumpkin bread was amazing. Simple recipe and very good - plus makes two big loaves!

What type of seeds do you have? I grow lots of basil in window boxes - looks kind of like a basil factory - but we adore pesto and I freeze loads of it. I also grow some other herbs in planters....as my deck is where the sun shines.

Still here, still sober, still tired......and nibbling on candy corn
Old 10-04-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Very awesome about the bread! Care to share the recipe??
Oh my, we have so many seeds.
Heirloom tomatoes, eggplants, squash (mostly winter squash), beans, cucumbers.
This year we didn't do as well about saving our seeds which wasn't good but we're both just getting tired. We still have apple pie filling to make and we both have had no energy in the evenings to do it lately.
By every evening at around 745p to 8p we're all in bed.

Mmmmm candy corn. Still though, I cannot and should not have any. My weight loss has stalled and the scale keeps going up and down which is not what I want or need.
My goal is to lose another 15 lbs by my sons birthday in Nov. I'm hoping this month, now that things are slowing a bit for us, that we can go to the gym a lot more.
I feel like my endurance, my muscles and all are much weaker now.

Still here, still sober and still kind of tired and feeling a bit overwhelmed today.
I might be putting my cat, my little friend of 18 years, down tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Pumpkin Spice Bread Recipe - Allrecipes.com

this is the link to the pumpkin bread recipe. It is delicious, and as you can see, very easy!

I am very sorry about your kitty. 18 years is a god long life, but makes it even harder to part company. Our "furbabies" share so much of our lives with us.....they see us even more close up than our spouses do, and yet love us unconditionally.

I should be putting on my gym shoes and headed out for a walk....but here I am, putzing around online. I wonder if it is something about the time of year, that tires us? I know kids have so much more going on now than during the summer.

Oh darn, guess I'll put my shoes on and go for a walk! Still here and sober....and vowing no candy corn tonight
Old 10-04-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

FYI - the pumpkin bread is excellent when toasted Naturally a hot cup of coffee to wash it down with!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Just want to say, still here, still sober and pretty down. We put our cat of 18 years down today.
Very sad. Not in the mood to talk.
All is well otherwise.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Munchkin: ((Hugs))!

TOD
Old 10-05-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Munchkin,
Heartfelt condolences to and your family.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Munchkin,
How're you doing? Thanking of you.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good actually!
I was off today so it was a busy day at home. Got so much done today!
Pork broth made, 1/2 a bushel of broccoli frozen, dried, made into quiches. Candied dried orange peels made, candied acorn squash seeds for my son (or me) made, potatoes planted.
I still have ironing to do, and have the task of cleaning out my cats litter box which hubby and I both have been putting off. We're going to give away the litter box but then sell the litter and pads that go with it to a lady near here that does pet rescue.
Even listed some things on Ebay & Craigslist this weekend which was cool.
Well have to run. We're having Sweet Potato and black bean enchiladas and cut sweet corn for dinner. Gotta get it all ready.
Still here, still sober.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Very tired today already. Hubby kept me up (inadvertantly) since 2a. He was tossing and turning due to having to go back to work today.
Finally at 530am as he was ready to leave, it became apparent. His trucks battery was dead. So he grabs my battery charger/jump starter that I keep in my Jeep (remember, my Jeep has problems with a dead battery a lot) and he drains the thing without getting his truck to start.
Next he runs to my jeep to try to move that over to his truck. Nope, my Jeep is dead too.
At this point he's jumping around, wondering what he's going to do next. I guess inspiration struck and he called a coworker to ask them for a jump.
Then he gave my Jeep a jump.
It's now 6am, and the morning is well on it's way to shape up to be an ....interesting day.

The thing that bugs me about this whole situation? My husband and his inability to sleep during the week. So many nights tosses and turns, he can't sleep and he says its due to his work.
I keep reminding him that this inability to sleep is not good for him. That he needs to find a way to deal with the stress from work in a good way.
You cannot change many situations to what you prefer. Instead, you have to change the way you deal with it.
I've learned that through battling addiction with alcohol.
Previously I have dealt with my stress in my life by drinking it away. Did that really get rid of it? No.
It was an ineffective way of dealing with stress from work, from home, etc etc.
Now, I do have to say, the way I deal with it right now is not exactly the best way to deal with it, but its an improvement from one year ago. Right now I just throw myself into work both at work and at home.
That irks hubby quite a bit because he says I cannot relax. The thing is, I can. I just can't have other things that have to be done first.
Still though, every day I continue to work on myself. I work to become stronger, mentally & physically for my family.
Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it

Still here, still sober and very very tired.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm tired this morning too! Wanted to stay under my down feather bed. Hubby brought me coffee and pumpkin bread and I turned on my little heater to stave off the morning chill. Finally ready for a very busy day at school. They symphony is performing for the children and I'm taking pictures to post on the website. I'm not a computer person, so it's a steep learning curve for me.

Hoping to visit the farmers market this afternoon - missed it last week. Made lentil soup in my crock pot yesterday and had the no knead bread in the dutch oven. Have to start packing tonight, as I'm leaving for a family wedding Th morning. It will be my first big event where there is lots of alcohol and fun people who I adore. My dad is my designated "bar tender"...he's got 38 years sober!

Still here, still sober and gotta run as I'm a wee bit late!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Still here, still sober.
And feeling kind of yucky.
Don't know if this is a cold, a flu, just allergies or what. But my throat is raspy, I'm caught between coughing and wheezing from my asthma.
Oh wow! And I just realized. Today is month 10 for me in my sobriety! YIPPEE!
Pretty cool. Hard to believe it's been that long, really.
Well, today I've got lots to do. I've started a new coffee and tea blog so I have to write for that, I've got a few ideas I'm following around, and emails to send here at work.
I've told hubby that within the next week or so we'll start going to the gym again non stop so my weight loss is about to pick up again. I've gotten kind of flabby, I've noticed.
While I stay busy and active non stop at home I'm not really lifting weights, exercising or what not. My endurance is shot. So now that our home life is settled, now we can work on ourselves.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Congratulations on ten months!!! That is such an accomplishment I need to check the calendar, I've kind of lost track of the weeks.....I think it is 15 on Friday.

Lots of folks around here have the same symptoms you have. I think it's a combination of seasonal allergies and the wether change.

I'm pretty much packed for my trip to family wedding tomorrow. I detest packing - don't know why I make such a big deal out of it! Got my hair done this afternoon and had them shape my eye brows too

Still here, still sober too
Old 10-11-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Oh I'm so behind on my hair and eyebrows. My gray is all showing and my eyebrows are all growing in too.
I have it on my calendar here at work by the way. It's kind of easy for me to remember though as its always mid way through the month on a Wednesday.
Dec 14th was the day I decided to pour my booze down the sink. Its amazing how far I've come from that day.
I cannot recall, who is getting married again?
I know you said it, I'm just having a clogged head moment.
still here, still sober. And very stuffy and coughing a lot.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

My cousin's daughter is getting married. Arrived safely at my destination today. It is good to be with my family.

Odd thing happened at dinner tonight. My mom and sister both ordered glasses of wine , which is what i drank. My dad asked the waiter to bring me a club soda with a splash of cranberry juice and a slice of lime. My dad has decades of sobriety and we were joking that he is my designated bartender for the week end. The waiter replied that we had obviously forgotten to mention the type of alcohol I wanted in the drink. My Dad and I both laughed and said NO alcohol...the waiter still seemed confused. I had to say "No really, I want club soda, with cranberry juice and lime and NO ALCOHOL."

I admit to feeling a pang when the wine was brought to the table, but just for a second. My drink was delicious, so refreshing I got another - and guess what - they didn't charge for a refill! My two drinks were $2.99 and one glass of wine $8.00!!!

Well I made it through the first evening....tomorrow is the big wedding reception and Saturday a Big Ten tailgate party. I know I will be fine. Still here and still sober.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:28 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

That was great that went that well Kim!!!!
Hhhmm, I'm going to have to try that. I wonder can you do perrier with cranberry juice and lime. Sounds yummy.
Now, with me, I get nervous around my Mom, Dad and Bro since they drink so much. It used to be party time with them. Now of course, that's out which I think makes both of my parents uncomfortable. My brother is in the dark about my new sobriety. I've never told him and probably never really will.

As for us, a few updates. We were going to go to Hershey next weekend. That's out simply because of the hours of operation this time of the year. We might go in early Dec.
We have one more camping trip for the season which will probably be to one of the state parks near us.
We think this weekend we're going to splurge and get seafood and lots of it. After a month or more of living really frugally we're ready for a break.
Plus I told hubby its pomengranate season so I need to head to Wegmans to get my fill. I tend to buy a lot of those, get all the seeds out. Freeze extras so that way I still have them to eat on salads and stuff come Jan.
I'm trying something new today. I took some dehydrated crookneck squash. Rehydrated it with some raisins, walnuts and muesli and then threw in some cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice. Add a bit of honey and I think it should taste kind of like pumpkin spice warm cereal. It's still rehydrating as I sit here, waiting for this money wasting customers ticket to issue.
Weekends are, thankfully, slowing down for us. Which I am soooooo grateful for.
Now we spend it catching up on stuff, putting stuff away, selling stuff, etc etc. That reminds me, hubby wants me to look on Ebay for pants for my son.

Okay, have to run.
Still here, still sober. And feel like I'm slowly making progress on getting rid of this cold or whatever it is.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Still here, still sober and still suffering from allergies. UGGHH. I feel like I may never breathe normal again. I've gotten so used to feeling lightheaded from lack of oxygen, breathing shallow, and moving like a slug. I'm so DONE with this time of year. Please, please please, I need a few good freezes, some rain, and then my misery can be lightened somewhat.
So anyone out there who prays? Please pray to God for me? I know it seems trivial but I'm so tired of this.
My chest feels like I have an elephant sitting on it, nonstop. I get frustrated with just about everyone and everything because I have no energy to do anything. No lifting, no heaving, no cleaning.

I really think I need to purchase some more stinging nettle like my friend told me to do recently. It might help a bit.
I have to look online to see if the ragweed will be going down anytime soon. My God, I hope so.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Munchkin,
You sound miserable! Having an elephant sitting on your chest.....you're sure it's just allergies?

I'm tired from the week end festivities. It was interesting not drinking at the wedding....several people noted it and asked why. That kind of surprised me...that they noticed and then asked why? At any rate, I got through it without drinking.....it wasn't difficult for me. I actually didn't enjoy the whole party like scene too much. I did enjoy catching up with relatives I hadn't seen in a while.

Still here and sober