Notices

A New Day (Munchkin's Thread) Part 2

Old 10-27-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Munchkin!
I have missed your posts lately, and am so glad to find them again. I usually just click on new posts at the top and my posts to see what answers. So we must be coming on at different times. I am so proud for you!!!! WooHoo!
Next you will join us in the one year and over club. Only the best recovering alcoholics are admitted as they have to go through a grueling one year initiation.

Thanks for making my day a little brighter!
Old 10-27-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hey Itchy! You can also go to the top of the page and click on CP in the Left corner. Then click on Subscribed Threads. It will pull up the threads you are a part of. Didn't know if you knew that or not. It's quicker for myself.

Munchkin: We called our daughter in MD. She's not too concerned. They have a basement and a generator. And here she was glad to get away from the Tornado's in Arkansas. LOL Poor kid. All the kids play stuff is in the basement too. So they'll be okay, according to her. Hubby is the worrier though.

Best Wishes
TOD
Old 10-27-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

My daughter , who lives in NJ, is driving home today. She and her three kitties, will be here around mid night. She is concerned about an extended power outage due to the winds. It will be good to see her
Old 10-28-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say, still here, still sober. And found out that Hubby, my son and I will all be home from work and school tomorrow! I cannot say how relieved I am about that. Really. It has worried me since earlier today that I would b separated from mostly my son (as he needs the most protection) and my hubby during a storm that some are saying are super dangerous.
So while I might not be on simply because of no power or lack of internet know that I'm still here and still sober.
Tonight kind of had a weird moment. I was making sauteed pork chops and then intended to simmer them in a bit of wine. Only issue was that meant I would have to open a bottle to only use 1/4 of it. I don't like doing that. I don't like leaving any left, just in case of temptations. So, I deliberated and I actually grabbed one of the bottles at first. But then I put back that James River White from Williamsburg Winery and settled for simmering the pork chops in homemade chicken broth instead. They still turned out good. Not exactly the flavor I was going for but not bad. Dang, we should've made a batch of mead this year! Now we'd have to buy all our honey at the local stores or at the dairy and at this time of year it is much more expensive. sigh.
My drink of choice lately, thanks to you pond, has been Perrier mixed with a bit of lime or lemon juice and cranberry juice.
Sometimes I add a bit of Kombucha too. I added Peach Kombucha recently and it tasted just like a wine cooler. Satisfies those moments when I just want a wine glass in my hand.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Munch - glad you enjoy the cranberry drink. What is Kombucha....I must try it. I know what you mean about wanting a glass of wine in your hands.......I do miss it at times. I'll be thinking of you and your family during the storm. I am very relieved my daughter and her kitties, are safe and sound with us. Her company sent an e-mail saying they're closed Monday and Tuesday.

Tired tonight. Got MIL settled into her rehab facility tonight. She starts PT at 8 am sharp tomorrow - it is going to be hard work for her, but worth it if she wants to get back to living in her house.

Still here, still sober.........
Old 10-29-2012, 04:11 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Pond kombucha is a fermented tea made from green or white tea. We use what is called a SCOBY to help add bacterial yeasts. Makes a slightly effervescent health drink. Many times we flavor ours with fruits later like strawberry pomegranates. Or apples. It is supposedly high in B vitamins.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I've never heard of this - sounds unusual and tasty. Hope your family is ok with the storm situation. Winds are getting gusty and temperatures are dropping here.

Simple dinner of roast chicken, baked potatoes and fresh broccoli - then hot bath and get cozy in bed! Aren't we lucky we don't have the worry of warm wine in a potential power outage!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

LOL
Aren't we lucky we don't have the worry of warm wine in a potential power outage!
Yup!
Still here and still got power but it's flickering like crazy now so I'm keeping this extremely brief. Still here and we're all good.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Re-Member

TOD I tried that and I guess I have to subscribe to it somehow because my folder is empty. I just go to my posts and new posts at the top.

Munchkin glad all is still well.
I had to look up the drink here:
Kombucha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Be safe!
Old 10-29-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Well.....checked out the Wikipedia site regarding kombucha. It looks a little complicated....good I can easily mix diet cranberry juice with club soda and lime

Itchy, I've checked out the subscriptions - but alas, my folder remains empty too

Headed to bed now...g'night all!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks, at least we now know.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
TOD I tried that and I guess I have to subscribe to it somehow because my folder is empty. I just go to my posts and new posts at the top.

Munchkin glad all is still well.
I had to look up the drink here:
Kombucha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Be safe!
Itchy: That is too weird. I just have to be logged in, nothing else special to do. It should show all the threads you've ever posted on.

To All in the storms path. Hit the high grounds!!! My daughter in MD was texting hubby earlier. She said she's just bored, kids are driving her nuts. Grandson is wanting to go to school and Granddaughter is just being herself and loving life. She's 10, GS is 6.

Best Wishes
TOD
Old 10-30-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Kombucha isn't too hard to keep up but it means you have something to do every other week or so. We have three jars devoted to Kombucha. Two which are "actively" fermenting the tea, one is just a SCOBY hotel. So every other weekend we have to brew a big dutch oven full of tea. Then we do the transfer of finished product into bottles, flavor those and then mixed the sweetened green tea into the jars with the SCOBYs.
A week or so later the bottles that have the finished Kombucha tea that had fruit added to them are done so we just strain out the fruit. By that time they've hit the carbonation level we like too. We don't leave them out at that stage for more than a week though because first they become super tart and if they are left out longer than a few weeks they "can" become slightly alcoholic. Not massively so. You would have to probably drink about 15 to 20 8 oz bottles of Kombucha in a single sitting (think like chugging it! YUCK! My stomach would be super sour after that!) to get the same effect as one glass of beer. And honestly, I cannot drink that much!!!
Kombucha, I find tends to dehydrate me slightly. I like to mix it with perrier or with fresh squeezed fruit juices and I only drink about 4 to 6 oz. More than that and it irritates my stomach some. Still its a nice fruity substitute for soda. I try to limit my soda a lot since it's not healthy for me, don't need the added sugar, nor the sodium and what not.
As you could probably guess, yes, still here, yes we have power, and yup we made it through Hurricane Sandy unscathed.
Still here, still sober and now off to go look up Long Island Cheese Pumpkins and what to do with them. I have three massive sized ones sitting on my floor in my kitchen. That along with about 7 acorn squash, 3 butternut, 1 Cinderella (which is actually called a Rouge vif D'Etampes), 2 crookneck, 2 black futsu, 1 Marina di Chioggia, 4 carnival squash, delicata, and a Kabocha. We're going to be good on Beta Carotene this year! That's for sure. Next year I think I'm going to try growing Galeux D'eysines which just sounds pretty as well as peanuts, and amaranth.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I would like to say first that I have been following this "journal" since you started it. I mostly lurk around this site but I look forward to your daily posts. I am also subscribed to your blog. So happy you and your family made it through the storm safely.

I have wanted to make Kombucha forever. I love it but it's expensive to buy. I found a series of how to video's on youtube. They call for a glass gallon sized jar. I have looked everywhere locally for one with no luck. What do you use?
Old 10-30-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hi Exploring, we purchased ours from a Kitchen store. It is very expensive to buy!! Every so often not so bad, but if you want more than 8 oz every other day, forget it!
Tonight I'm treating us since we made it through what is now being dubbed as "Superstorm Sandy!". Making Eggplant Parm, pasta, sauteed green beans from the farm and for dessert, peach cobbler with ice cream. With that being said, gotta run. The peach cobbler has gotta get into the oven!!!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Munch, Your dinner sounds delicious. I admit it....I'm dead tired! Everything is catching up with me and I'm out of gas - no creativity till I'm rejuvenated. I'm not worried, it'll happen.......andI'm not coping by drinking wine.....still here, still sober.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

It was super yummy Pond! Amazingly enough I lost WEIGHT while being home and snacking like crazy! Only 1 lb but I'll take it! So now total weight loss since Dec 14th 2011.......45 pounds.
As of two weeks from now. Actually probably around the 12th, we're (hubby and I) are going to start getting super busy at the gym. I've got about 17 lbs left to go till I get to my desired weight. (140 lbs)
I just have to say by the way, Superstorm Sandy. Because of you I got to spend 4 days of good quality time with the two most important guys of my life. I got to relax, play games on my Kindle or computer, clean up my house a bit, and the biggest bit of all, I got to do all my shredding in my study(5 large trash bags full), finished the filing (which was horribly behind!), I got a "Emergency Notebook" together which has photocopies of our passports, birth certificates, a child ID form that has all the details on my son as well as a picture of him that was taken recently, account info and other misc stuff that could be useful if something bad happened and we had to bug out.
Today, I'm busy cancelling subscriptions to things, balancing my check book, checking on balances, and other useful junk.
More or less, I'm wrapping stuff up, getting stuff done, cleaned up, and what not. I will end the month of October with quite a bit of my personal stuff done, all thanks to that storm that while brought a lot of tragedy to others lives, actually brought a bit of calm to mine.

Oh and by the way, Happy Halloween!!
Old 10-31-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Forgot to add, Still here, still sober.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I've been trying to find time to balance my check book for close to a week....good reminder to make some time! Good for you and hubby for making plans to get to the gym and stay healthy We've had some poor weather this week and I miss my daily walks....but hey....the suns gotta come out eventually!

Is your son dressing up for Halloween? What's he going to be, if he is? We got scads of candy......and I've got "itchy fingers" for some of it Love all your cute icons! Still here, still sober and ready to roll into November
Old 10-31-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I was a witch. My Son dressed up as Mario.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Mamaandnick.jpg (53.4 KB, 63 views)