Notices

Class of August 2012 Part 4

Old 09-22-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Last night I read part 1 of our classes thread posts...our entries have certainly changed...I hope I do this beach swim today ...the water is freezing so I am trying to track down a wetsuit...either way it will be a beautiful morning at the beach...followed by lots of house work....have a good day everyone
Old 09-22-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Hey all,

Hope you all are well tonight. I had a good day overall despite spending hours in the cell phone store sorting out my husband's cell phone issues. Who came up with that storefront business model?

Spent the rest of the day putting up Halloween decorations (yes, I know it is not October yet - but I love this holiday)! Looking forward to tomorrow and hoping to be productive and organized.

Since the crickets are chirping here - I will likely hit the hay early.

Take care - Panacea
Old 09-22-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Alaska Girl:

Please keep posting, especially if you are struggling...your classmates can be much more helpful during the fact rather than later, if you know what I mean!

I'm fairly certain that I speak for all of us when I say that we know how much of a challenge we face in trying to build sober lives for ourselves, and this group is an important part of it. It gives us a safe place to come, both supporting others and asking for support for ourselves. When we are able to help each other through tough times, beyond the sense of supporting a close one in need, it gives us another tool to help ourselves as individuals.

Please, let's stick together through thick and thin.

Bless us all.

Slim
Old 09-22-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Beach swim done!!!!!!!!!! TAlk about a brain freeze.....followed by a board paddle...I thought my arms were going to fall off...but I got out and back again....a lot of support on the beach from the surf clubbies...then a trip into town for my 8YO to get her ears pierced...(a big milestone in our family) big sis got her 2nd piercing yesterday....now for the housework to begin
Panacea our girls love Halloween too... doing it sober this year is going to be an experience I am sure
Old 09-22-2012, 11:30 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Day 36 just starting...Pint of tea in hand being slurped....Off out to a car boot sale once I have nipped the dog around the block...Our thread seem's to have slowed down a bit,I really hope everyone is ok....If you ain't ok then get posting and even if you are ok,get posting...It's you guys that keep this class together and it certainly keeps me on the straight and narrow....I'll check back later...Take care all....Steve....
Old 09-22-2012, 11:44 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Oh Stevie, you and your tea

LSC I really admire your competitiveness!

Alaskagirl, you are right. Your only 37 and never have to drnk again if you don't want to.

Grace, my baby is great! He got 4 shots at the doctors today but when daddy held him he was fine.

Guuuuuuuuys, I'm in a pickle. I work in a bank, only a couple months in, and am going for my accounting degree (only 3 classes into the major part). A nice steady field I can tolerate. BUUUUT, in my fam I've always been the hair guru. I always felt that being a hair stylist is beneath me. But now (and when I was pregnant) I can't ignore my desire to stop day dreaming about being a hair stylist. Also, I took a psych and sociology class when i was pregnant and loved them, got A's naturally. Should I pursue the things I have an actual passion/interest/eagerness for? Getting my degree in Psychology and becoming a hairdresser just seem like such great fits for me, though nothing is easy.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:08 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Start of day 30, taking the in-laws out for a meal as its my mother in laws birthday - looks like a nice restaurant so should be good. Yesterday enjoyed pottering round the shops with my partner for my nephews 7th birthday present - all very civilised.

LLG - that's a real thoughie, it's great if we can do a job we love but in the current climate some might think it a bit mad to walk away from a steady job. Have you any experience working in a salon? maybe a local college offering hair dressing courses could help you arrange a day or two work experience to see if it is really something you want to do. With regards to psychology I would suggest doing it at night school but I guess the time doing the accounting degree plus looking after the little one would scupper this. Are you able financially support a change?

Steve enjoy the car boot (although as you aren't far from me I suspect you are going to get rained on!)

LSC - freezing water for not, I am very jealous - I would love to live near the beach. Enjoy the Halloween prep (you too Panacea!). Having no kids we make no effort but it's always nice to see the houses that have.

Alaska girl stick with us, slim is right, go back and read your early posts - as time goes on and memories fade I think we will all find it important at some point to remind ourselves why we came here.

Grace, it's Italy not France - we head off next month, a few days after my final exam so it is all systems go until then - I think I'll start to feel a lot easier about my ability to give up booze forever if I get through a week in piedmont - feeling relatively confident at the moment but don't want to get too cocky,

Have a good day all,

x
Old 09-23-2012, 02:37 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Gx
Old 09-23-2012, 03:24 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Veggiejojo

LLG - I'm a big believer in following your heart - but those are three pretty different fields

You also have your son to consider of course.

It doesn't sound like there's any need to hurry a decision?
Take you time - I'd want to make sure the path I follow is really the one I want to do

D
Old 09-23-2012, 03:26 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Good morning everybody

Hope you're all well and sober, as I am of course! I couldn't get to do a post last night as the other half was using the lap top until really late.I like Saturday nights, didn't do anything exciting but had a good chill out. My little boy was asleep early so I had an early bubbly bath, put my posh p.j's on and watched the Xfactor. It's well past its sell by date I know, but it's compulsory Saturday night t.v. Then I read a couple of chapters of my book, I'm reading a Martina Cole one at the moment, just easy reading. I love reading and will read virtually anything. I got a Kindle for my birthday in summer and I still haven't used it, because I have a load of books to get through first.

Well anyway, it's another really cold morning, dry though not as sunny as yesterday. I need to do some housework today, so I'd better get my backside into gear soon ( when I've finished this cup of tea anyway!)

My brother is home at the moment, staying with my mum and dad. He spends most of the year in Thailand and comes home twice a year for a couple of months. He's never been married and has no ties. My Dad has deteriorated rapidly since he last came home and he's seen a big difference in him. It has made life a lot easier for me the last few weeks knowing that he is there if anything happens in the night and he also takes them into hospital, Doctors appointments etc, which gives me a break. He told me yesterday he is thinking of going back to Thailand, very, very shortly and coming back at Christmas. Oh b*ggar! It's going to be hard, because my mum is really fit and active and likes getting out and about, but dad is that confused now we can't leave him on his own if she wants to go anywhere. We have been waiting for an appointment at the memory clinic for three weeks now, I think once he's been there, my brother will be off. Oh well, such is life. No rest for the wicked! Right enough parroting on done!

Panacea, don't know if I could stomach iced tea. Urgh, not sure I like the sound of it. Hope you're having a good day anyway. Halloween decorations already! Halloween is not such a big event here as it is where you are, however it is becoming more and more so now, most people with families put decorations up, make pumpkin lamps and go trick and treating, but the event only lasts a day or two here.
Slim, that was a really good post you did there for our Alaska girl. Very supportive and yes you were speaking for all us there. You said it all really.xx

Hi Steve, sounds like you're having a really good weekend. That boat/barge festival sounds brilliant, I like anything like that. Hope you've put some weight on this week ( I'd be gutted if I had!) with all that you've packed away. Hope too, you find some bargains at the car boot. I agree with you, our friends here keep us on the straight and narrow! Have fun, don't get hungry. xxx
LSC1, your swim sounds very bracing! You're braver than me. Bet it was good fun though! Hope your daughters ears don'hurt too much.xx
LLG, glad the babys' fine and he was a good boy with his jabs, Ooh that's a difficult decision to make, you'll have to have a good think, make a list of all the pro's and cons. Jo raised some good points worth thinking about.
Hi Jo, enjoy your meal with your outlaws, sorry I got the wrong country, probably read someone elses post about going to France and got mixed up. Italy will be a lovely break for you after all your hard work, is it just the two of you going? Wish I was going somewhere warm.

Well anyway,

Here's wishing you all a good sober Sunday. Have a fun day.

Big hugs

Gxxxx

Just for today I will try and strenghen my mind. I will study. I will learn something useful. I will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:36 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond. The simple fact that I am struggling with this issue should tell me that this isn't a path that I want to go down. I am only 37, I could embrace a 100% sober lifestyle and never have to worry about alcohol again. I have several work trips coming up in October, I work in the travel industry and all of our evening events revolve around lots of free drinks. I would like to make a commitment to myself that I am going to go it without partaking. I have been studying AVRT, I am going to see if I can find Allen Carr's book on iBooks today. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart, you are the only people I feel safe discussing this with. Hugs.

Hi Alaska

Special good morning to you

I was really happy to see that you'd read our posts and replied. Definitely the fact that you are struggling with your decision proves that your not 100% sure. I think you know really, deep down inside that moderation wont work, it's like giving yourself an open cheque and saying don't spend too much ( would be for me anyway)! I know the work trips will be a challenge, but there again I suppose we all face lots of challenges, in different ways, plus that time of year is approaching, Christmas parties, meals, family get togethers, New year etc etc. One day at a time Alaska, sometimes one hour at a time, baby steps all the way. I really, really hope that you go for sobriety, but you have to 100% want to do it and to do it for yourself first and foremost.

Please keep posting, keep reading, if its meant to be it will happen.

Group hug

All my love

Grace xxx
Old 09-23-2012, 04:50 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Hello, everybody. Just a drive-by post to say I'm thinking about you all and hoping your weekends are going well. Work wasn't so bad yesterday, but I was too sleepy to post. I took one of those "non-drowsy" antihistamines for my allergies, and all I wanted to do all day long was sleep. Just goes to show me, eh? Maybe it's the change in metabolism now that my liver isn't constantly having to detoxify alcohol?

Anyway, I look forward to checking in later. And a big thanks to all who have written such lovely things for Alaskagirl. My post sounded like a scold compared to your better ones. AG--we are all on your side. Keep reading and posting with us. We're a little family, and we go through things together. ((hug))

OK, off to work now. Love to all!
Old 09-23-2012, 05:21 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Good morning all!

My dogs have been talking to Steve's dogs and were up at the crack of dawn wanting a walk. After a bit of foggy grumbling on my part I am up and looking forward to a good productive day. Steve - please give your dogs an extra pat on the head/belly rub from my two.

LSC - Yes, decorating not under the influence will be different....probablly safer too - vodka and ladders should not be mixed together....Earpiercing at 8! That was a right of passage in our house too! How fun and special!

LLG - If you can afford it, there is nothing like following your heart. However, I would recommend not closing any doors or burning bridges. Of the three, a degree in psychology (which may necessitate a PhD) might open the most doors and lead to greater earning potential --- that is a huge commitment but can have great payoffs (emotionally, professionally, etc). I agree with Dee (for what it is worth), these are big decisions....take your time and the best decision for you will reveal itself.

Veggie - have a wonderful dinner out! I know you will be able to have a trip of a lifetime and not drink...I love Italy! I have fantasies of retiring there one day (of course, I can never afford to retire however )

Grace - Your Saturday night is right up my alley...we could be two peas in a pod!! I am sorry your brother will not be in town for long. It sounds like you have a lot of big responsibilities to manage.

Slim - Thank you for your post - I agree wholeheartedly.

I do hope we stick together as a group (even though I was a late comer to month....I am pretty attached to you all). As it has been somewhat quiet here, I have been troving around other areas of SR and have been reading through other conversations. Right now, I am in the middle of "tips to not drink during the early phases of sobriety" (not the exact title) which is rich with advice and info. It is by no means a substitue for the conversatins here, however.

I hope you all are having or are looking forward to a great day. Take care and I will check in later.

Panacea
Old 09-23-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Hey guys. I just caught up with all of the posts. Phew, there were quite a few. I am not feeling very well today. There is a lot of sicness floating around my little town and it finally caught me. Lots of sinus pressure (even my teeth hurt), cough and throat pain. Blech. So, I am skipping my AA meeting today. I feel guilty but I just don't think I can go and sit there for over an hour feeling like this. And I don't want to infect anyone either!

AlaskaGirl, hang in there. Hop back on the sobriety wagon and take it one day at a time. Try not to think about not being able to drink for the rest of your life. That is too overwhelming for me. Just focus on the here and now if that helps.

LSC, I wish we lived closer to each other, I have a swimming wet suit in my basement I would have loaned you.

Grace and Steve, I want to drink tea too! What is your favorite tea?

Okay, I will catch up with everyone else later. My head feels like it's gonna explode. So, have a great sober day everyone.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Hi everyone,

Panacea, I love Halloween too and plan to dig out my decorations for the first time in ummm 4 years? Sweetie will love it. I got her a gothic witch hat which means it's red with black webbing overlay. Halloween is on her mind a lot lately lol.

LSC, brrr! I thought I was a diehard but you got me beat. Not that it's a contest, of course! Good for you taking that swim.

LLGold, I say follow your heart.

ebshot, I hope you get some rest and feel better soon.

Grace and steve, I am curious about the tea drinking also. I only ever drink cold green tea and have never really gotten into hot tea though I have lots of it in the cupboard with best intentions.

VeggieJ, Italy oooh that sounds wonderfully romantic.

Alaskagirl, I obsess so much over drinking in moderation that it makes it null and void in terms of viability. Setting up rules like; only drinking when out, only drinking x number, only drinking when engaged in underwater basket weaving, etc. only serves to drive me mad obsessing over it and always ends up with binge-ing eventually.

Nuway, Slimslim, Dee; always nice to see you.

Yesterday my dear ex took us out and got me a car stereo and Sweetie a new dvd/vcr unit so she can get back to watching her Wiggles and she likes Roseanne too....also she sneaks my Sex and the City dvds ...lol....but lately her unit has been working poorly. So that was nice. We got subs after, mine was tuna with provolone, toasted, with lettuce, red onions and sweet peppers.
Today we are off to see the B in about an hour. Rockin' at the chapel then dinner and taking her out for new sneakers.
Today is day 35 and it seems like a year ago that I was hanging on the hand rail to walk upstairs to the bathroom. My water consumption is way down compared to then also which I need to re-up on that. I take it that I am no longer dehydrated as I don't crave gallon upon gallon of water so that is a good thing.

I've been obsessing over the home health aide thing a bit because I realize it is short notice and dread having a confrontation but I am just going to stick with my scheduling needs premise and not bring up the stuff that really ticks me off if indeed this imaginary confrontation comes about. LOLOL. Argh. I make myself crazy.

Talk to you later. xxoo
Old 09-23-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Quick midday Hello

I've just been out and picked up some cat food and went to the D.I.Y store to pick up the ight fittings that we ordered. My goodness, what an exciting life I lead, not! At least I came back with just those items and not a dirty bottle of wine as well.

Nuway, hope you're feeling better. I think all this tiredness mallarkey is definitely something to do with our metabolisms recovering from all the stress we've caused our livers and other organs. We all seem to have suffered from exhaustion at varying stages along the way. Your post to Alaska didn't read like a scold to me at all, it was very caring.

Hi Panacea, I don't have a very exciting life at all, but hey, boring is good! We do have lots of similarities, ha ha. Speaking of which, did you get your husband's phone sorted in the end? I do have another brother who lives close by, but he's about as much use as a chocolate fire guard, bless him! I hope we all stick together as a group too and it makes no difference what time you joined, you're still part of our Augustian family. I've been joining in other area's in S.R too, I've joined the under one year class and I've been doing the game things, word association and 'add a sentence to the story' quite fun really.

Erica, I hope you feel much, much better soon. Sinus pain is awful, gives you such bad headaches too. Hope your family doesn't get it. You look after yourself and drink lots of water.

Tea, I like good strong tea, Yorkshire tea is the best for me, with very little milk and no sugar. I like the fruit teas as well,I take them to work with me. Mint tea is nice and soothes your tummy if you have indigestion or anything,

Right, I need to go, see you later hopefully

Gxx
Old 09-23-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Just checking in again....Fantastic posts from you guys and gals....Lovin it....
Old 09-23-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  
HFA

Day 30. Everyone have a great day....
Old 09-23-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Congrats, HFA.

I laugh every time I see your avatar!!!
Old 09-23-2012, 09:53 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Awesome job HFA!!!!