Notices

Class of August 2012 Part 4

Old 09-19-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Greetings, everyone. It's so nice to catch up with you all--coming here and reading is always a highlight of my day.

Nice to see you, Bruce--and thanks again for the reminder about drinking and driving. I'm ashamed to say, it could have been me, too. "Grateful" that we don't have to do that today: well said!

You, too, Slim--always nice to hear from you.

Panacea is so right: we are all on a journey together. It's so much better and easier in a group, don't you think? Nice to know that when any of us is down, there are others to pick us help and share the burdens of the day.

Grace, I went back and reread posts from a couple of days ago. I guess I had skimmed over your hair coloring story, but I'm glad I saw it again today. That is so funny, and so true of us all. Glad this batch ended up on your hair. I've had similar experiences in my kitchen. I'd wake up next day after an evening of drinking, and wonder who left the kitchen counter in such a mess! (I didn't have to look far....)

Steve--sorry about missing your gym time, but nice that you get to spend some extra time with the kids.

WTH--enjoyed your caveman/fire analogy. But I don't think it's just guys--watching and tending a fire is an archetypal human thing that's in our DNA.

Erica, thanks for asking about me. I'm fine, just a little busier this week. Like Grace, I have some weeks with a different work schedule. Plus, my sisters and I have been visiting our elderly mom more lately, as her usual daytime helper has had some time off. I'm sure you and your sponsor will make a connection soon, and that's all right. I wonder sometimes what texting vs speech says about us humans. It's becoming quite the norm that young people, especially, prefer to text. Is it something deep inside us like WTH and his fire-tending? Is it that we humans have always been more private than our heavy reliance on speech would indicate, and the advent of texting is just pointing out to us our general reluctance to communicate sometimes? I dunno, but I'd welcome other opinions. This is just an aside that doesn't reflect on you individually, Erica. I'm the same way about phones. I'm just thinking out loud in general terms.

Stairs--thank you for telling us more about Sweetie! I love her just reading about her--I imagine she is the joy of your life. Feel free to "ramble" about her, or anything, at anytime. That's what we all do! lol I hope you get your car fixed very soon. You're so right--just knowing we can get away for a quick trip or shop is so liberating. Can't happen soon enough for you, I'm sure.

OK, friends, I'm off to mom's to help her with lunch. See you later, OK? Stay safe and well. Hugs.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Day 26. Today was interview day and I think I blew it - let my nerves get the better of me, but hay ho it was a bit of experience and my current role is ok so things could be worse. Briefly considered whether I'd feel better with a glass of wine tonight but it was a fleeting thought - now gone.

Glad your all doing ok and congrats to all the milestone peeps!

x
Old 09-19-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

WooHoo Pippo, well done you. Give yourself a big pat on the back.

Hi Nuway, good to hear from you too. I love reading all the posts too, it's my new healthy addiction!! Oh, and I've also done the kitchen things too, got up and wondered who'd left all the mess and who'd eaten all the crisps! ha ha

Bye for now

Gxx
Old 09-19-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Thank you so much, Grace!
Old 09-19-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Yea Pippo! You're makin' us proud.

Veggie, sorry the interview didn't go as you wanted it to. But you know, until you hear one way or the other, you can't really know how you came across to the interviewer. He/she might not have perceived your nerves?? Not to worry that you thought about a glass of wine. What matters is that you didn't have one. Now that's something to celebrate, along with 26 days of making the right decisions.

Grace, aren't we glad we've banished the kitchen intruder who used to make those messes?
Old 09-19-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hi everybody

This is my bedtime log in. Been another quiet day on here again. I've nothing exciting to report. Got home from work, made a chicken stir fry for dinner, did a spot of ironing, made lunches for work tomorrow and that's it. Boring, but boring will do me!

Jo, sorry you don't feel too confident about your interview today, but you never know. If it's meant to be you'll get it and if not, well at least you have a job. Well done for not succumbing to the wine, 'cos if you're anything like me it would be rude to have just a glass, it would have to be the bottle!

Nuway, more power to us for banishing that kitchen intruder. Lol.

See you all tomorrow

Night night, stay safe.

Gxx
Old 09-19-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad all is going well Stevie

I never drove Bruce but I was a passenger in a lot of really stupid driving situations. I often think about that.

I have a weekly home aide Stairs - they drive me a bit crazy some days too LOL

congratultions Pippo!

sorry about the interview Veggie, but like you say there'll be others and you'll be a little bit more experienced next time?

Nice Grace - I'm hoping for a quiet day myself LOL

D
Old 09-19-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hey all,

Congratulations Pippo! 30 days is stunningly awesome! I am looking forward to that day with great anticipation!

Stairs - your daughter sounds absolutely lovely! Celebrating a birthday is so much fun! My daughter is already planning hers....She wants to go to this trampoline place where the entire room is covered with trampolines - even the walls and ceilings....sounds like a perfect prelude to a visit to the ER to me...but, it is all the rage with her little friends. I have a couple months to consider this request prior to checking my better judgement at the door.

Veggie - sorry about the interview..no worries however -- you will be less nervous next time and kill the competition! Glad you said "no" to the vino. I am still battling the 4 pm siren's call to the booze bin - and am still drowning its voice with water. It is effective but supersaturating experience. It also kills my hunger for dinner and I have lost a fair bit of weight.

BruceJ - your meeting was a timely reminder to me as I am/was very guilty of driving drunk - and am only fortunate that I didn't hurt anyone. I remember when I first started drinking heavily @ 15-16 years old and I celebrated with my friends at a Chinese place (and my parents) where they let us all drink and didn't card....I ended the evening driving home completely wasted with my brand new license, all my friends in the back of my truck, without headlights turned on, nearly having a head on collision running a red light. What a complete idiot I was/am. It scares me to think that my son will be driving in just a few years - and I desparately hope he will make better choices that I did for the last 30 years. I also hope that I will now model appropriate behavior re alcohol, driving, life -- that can replace some of his past impressions.

Today was a busy, if slightly weird day - still trying to sift through my emotions regarding some of my behavior/reactions. A colleague and I have been nominated to attend this campus wide leadership workshop - but the content and subject matter has been rather ascinine. I must admit that I am rather intolerant of it and probablly behaved rather poorly during the workshop. I should have kept my mouth shut and head down, but instead acted like a bored teenager. It was rather pathetic really - and I am a bit embarrassed. Normally, I would be drinking right now to drown out the voices in my head - berating my poor behavior --- instead, I am having to listen to them. Not much fun.

Have a ton of work to do tonight. Need to get cracking and finish a report due by Friday. I hope you all are well tonight. I will check back in later after I make some headway. Thanks for listening!

Take care all, Panacea
Old 09-19-2012, 10:59 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Day 33 just starting for me,slurping down my tea and I'm just off out with the dog...It's dark,it's raining and it's cold but I'm still gonna venture out in just a tee shirt as it's not below 5 degree's yet lol....Gotta do the school run then take the wife shopping for paint today(guess who's gonna be busy painting later)but apart from that not much to do today apart from eat lol...I hope everyone has a great day and I'll check back later...Take care...Steve....
Old 09-20-2012, 01:09 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Morning all

Where is everybody? Hope you're all okay and staying focused.

Bottom of the hill for me today. I had such a restless night last night, I slept but kept waking up tossing and turning, don't know what that was all about. When I woke up this morning I was lying across the bed!!

Nuway and Bruce, forgot to tell you yesterday, I am also guilty of driving when drunk, on several occasions. I don't know how I never got caught! It is something that I am thoroughly ashamed of and can't stop thinking about. I can't believe how I could have done something so stupid and how much damage I could have caused! I'm not proud of myself, believe me!

Panacea, hope you managed to get your report finished. Don't worry to much about the workshop, I'm sure they'll soon get over it. Sometimes its hard to put on a cheery facade when we're not that interested in something.

Morning Steve

It's dark, cold and wet here too, doesn't give me much incentive to get out of bed! Really struggled this morning. I'm a summer person really.

Hve fun painting, ha ha. Are you not at the gym today?

Catch up again later.

Big hugs

Gxx

Just for today I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle my whole life problem at once. I can do something for twelve hours that would appal me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:09 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

On the subject of drink driving I have wrote off 2 cars and 1 motorcycle driving whilst drunk...I really should not be alive today...It's not something I'm proud of,in fact looking back at it,I'm totally disgusted with myself....
Old 09-20-2012, 03:42 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness, I drove drunk all the time. I am ashamed to say I drove drunk with the kids in the car often as well. So much guilt and remorse and shame.

Moving on to happier topics...

Steve, wanna come here and paint my bathroom for me after you finish your house? I am going to look at colors today.

Grace, I woke up across my bed the other day. Not sure how that happened but I had to chuckle about it. I didn't sleep too well last night either.

Stairs, your daughter sounds like a ton of fun. How old is she?

Panacea, I'm taking Cole to a trampoline place for lessons soon. But I agree, it does sound like a trip to the ER in the making.

Veggie, I'm sorry about the interview. Put it behind you and congrats on not picking up a glass!

Nuway, interesting thoughts on communication. I think you are on to something there. For the record, I never did call anyone. How's your mom doing?

WTH, what's been going on with you?

Bruce, good to hear from you!

Okay, off to drink some coffee and try to wake up. I'm really sleepy and had a heck of a time getting out of bed. I'm having lunch with my sister and mom today. That should be fun. Then AA tonight and meeting with my sponsor afterward. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:46 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Just a quick check in to tell you all about my huge breakfast/lunch I just ate...5 sausages,5 rashers of bacon,5 scrambled eggs,4 hash browns and a full tin of beans all washed down with a pint of tea....Yum Yum....Off to go and look at a new gym now...lol...
Old 09-20-2012, 05:03 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Originally Posted by ebshot View Post
WTH, what's been going on with you?
Same old, same old, ebshot...thanks for asking. Beginning of Day 25 here. Still house-sitting, so I haven't been online as much. Also facing a huge end-of-the week deadline at work, related to those presentations I did last week.

So although pressure is one of my triggers for drinking, I haven't really had the time to pay much attention to my addictive voice. Just too many marks I have to meet this week.

I still log on at least once a day to read everyone's stories and maybe offer a quick update, I've just been really busy. Not trying to drop my end of the support system...things should clear up for me significantly by the end of this coming weekend.

Hope everyone is doing well today. Let me know if you need anything.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Quick lunch time hi to you all.

O.M.G thank you Steve and Erica about sharing that about drink driving. Erica, I drove drunk with my little grandchildren in the car!! How irresponsible is that? It's sort of a bit of a comfort in a way to know you share my shame, I thought it was only me!! I have flash backs about it all the time! Drink driving has to be the most irresponsible thing anyone could do. It will take me a long time to forgive myself. I go cold at the thought of the innocent lives that could have been caused by my selfishness and the pain I would have caused to so many.

Anyway, lets move on.........

Steve, how on earth do you manage to fit all that food in? I wouldn't be able to move for a week! Oh and by the way, when you've painted Erica's bathroom, please feel free to come and paint my dining room! LOL.

WTH, it is good to hear from you, I miss your posts, but that's fine, just as long as you are well and sober and looking after yourself. That's all that matters.

Bet you'll be glad to get this week over and chill out a little.

See you laters

Gxx
Old 09-20-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Hi guys...Better check in now as I gotta take my son to his karate lesson soon...After eating my huge brunch I took the dog out for a good walk,did the school run,came back and did their dinner and then I have just been to the take away and treated myself to an extra large donor kebab with extra salad,mint sauce and chilli sauce...I demolished the lot and now I'm still hungry lol....I better have put some weight on this week when I do my weekly weigh in on Sunday....Oh well best spend some time with my daughter before I take her brother to karate...Take care all....Steve...
Old 09-20-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Good grief Steve, I'm going to buy a bacon slicer at weekend and send you a few good slices of choice chunky thigh ( mine) lol.

Gx
Old 09-20-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Tail end of day 27 for me.

Grace, I also had a restless night which may have contributed to the headache I've been unable to shift all day. Hope you start to get some decent rest soon.

Steve, if you still don't put on weight after eating all that, I need to know your secret!

WTH hope you hit your deadlines and aren't under too much pressure

Erica, hope you enjoyed your girlie lunch and tonight's meeting

Panacea, don't beat yourself up over the workshop (if it's like some of the ones i've attended you were probably only saying what most of the room were thinking!)

Congrats to Pipporossi and Stairs on 30 days - inspirational!

Hello to everyone else, hope you are all keeping well. After all the stress of assignments and the interview, plus a day spent staring at spreadshseets with a stinking headache, I am going to try and forget I have an exam in three weeks. I am taking a night off to watch rubbish TV with popcorn - bliss!

x
Old 09-20-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Just got in from my boys karate lesson,tired now so I'm off to bed...Keep up the good work guys this group is amazing and I'm so proud to be part of it....Veggijojo nearly at the big 30 keep it up....Night Night all....Steve...
Old 09-20-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Just saying goodnight, I'm really, really tired and just need a good nights sleep, fingers crossed.

Seems like a few of us had a restless night last night.

Jojo, I hope your headache has shifted and you get a better sleep too,you need a break from studying sometimes. Look after yourself.

Night Steve, hope it's a good one, no doubt you'll be dreaming about food!

Well anyway,

I'm off to bed.

Night night

Lots of love

Gxxx