Notices

Class of August 2012 Part 4

Old 09-16-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi guys.

Stairs, sorry you couldn't go and visit B. Did I miss where she's at? Nice job making it through your craving.

I made it to my meeting today. It is a good thing I did too. I met a woman who is now my permanent sponsor. She came up to me and asked me how I was doing and then proceeded to tell me how I felt. She was spot on in everything she said. She called me later and just said some things I really needed to hear. I asked her to help me with the steps and she said she would. So, I MUST call her 4 times a week. No texting. And we will meet face to face once a week.

I am so tired of being miserable. I hope that "working the steps" will help me finally find some happiness. I am more miserable now than when I was drinking. Something has to change and I am pretty sure that something is me.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Ta daaa! 30 days. Ta daaa! High 5 Steve,

Well I went to bed, went to sleep and now it's 01.55 and here I am wide awake! What's all that about? Too much going on in my head maybe! Or maybe I'm drinking too much tea!

Sorry to hear you had such a bad day Stairs, but happy to hear that you did not waver and drink any dirty beer. Today's a new day and things can only get better.

MHP, Many congratulations. What a lovely weekend you've had and well deserved too, you've done yourself proud. Thats a very thoughtful idea for your anniversary, Hawaii, wow, that should be fabulous. Thanks for your words of wisdom re my husband, I'm sure we will work it out, things happen for a reason! Sounds like you have a very strong relationship with your husband, treasure it and treasure him. xxx

Erica, you were meant to go to that meeting, things can only get better now. Keep strong, things have a way of working out, as I keep saying.

Night night again

Gxx
Old 09-16-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Erica, congrats on your sponsor finding you! That's going to be a very positive step for you, I'm sure. Just pretend you're an old fogey like me before there was such a thing as texting! lol Hang in there, gal--change is hard, but we're all making a few steps at a time.

MHP--so happy you had a wonderful weekend. And very happy that thing are going well for you and your hubby. What a wonderful anniversary gift you are already giving him. Oh, and I forgive you for what the Seahawks did to the Cowboys today.

Stairs, sorry things didn't work out for your visit. How disappointing, but you didn't crack! Good on you for realizing it wasn't an option.

Aw, Panacea--a dog lover, too! I bet they smell sweet now. Or at least sweeter....

WTH--Enjoy the feeling of that clean garage. It's a big accomplishment to organize and get rid of unnecessary stuff. I'm sure your in-laws appreciate it greatly.

Steve--all that working out and you still lost 3 lbs?? I bet it wasn't lean muscle, not with your regimen. Like Grace, I'll send you a few of my extras if you like. I know I'm taking in fewer calories, but so far, no weight loss for me.

And dear Grace--don't think for a moment that you ever bore us! I, too, am sorry things with your hubby are still on the cool side. I think this might be one of those things you're going to have to give some, or a lot, of time. It's very encouraging that he enjoyed the shopping with you. Sounds like you have some home projects in store? I remember some of the happiest times with my late husband were working together on projects around the house. Perhaps that will be a good way for you to spend mutually supportive time together and to start being comfortable together again. I pray it may be so.
You're up way too late--sorry you're not sleeping soundly. I know tea does that to me, too. No worries for having those thoughts while seeing all those bottles of wine. I know I would have, too. And yet, we're not acting on them, which is HUGE! Night night now. "Lullaby, and good night...."
Old 09-16-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Hey guys. I just made a major purchase, bought a cardio machine for my room so that I can workout while I watch my baby. I'm so excited. I need to improve my health and fitness! Off to make a vegetable soup for the first time hope it comes out okay :0
Old 09-16-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm not sure if I've been at it long enough to post in this thread, so forgive me please if that's the case.

It's the end of day 5, and it was going well enough I guess until early evening. My boyfriend often has trouble with needing too much sleep and also migraine headaches - and basically, he was up and about for count 'em two hours today.

I was going strong and feeling positive until I had to go the store for some groceries. The frozen pizza is right across from the beer, and I started to get sniffly/pouty.. it's not that I want to get wasted right now, it was more like 'I'm going to miss the taste of beer'...

So feeling sorry for myself, I cried quietly on the drive home, but also finally had the inspiration for a new track I'm writing called 'Gray Sky' (and yeah the lyrics will be about finding sobriety). And I get home, and bf is still in bed, the kids haven't had dinner and it's after 8, I get that together quickly, and suddenly I get a splitting headache too, and while they're eating I just go upstairs and crouch like a gargoyle in the hall and sob my eyes out (making the headache nuclear-bad in the process).

I'm better now, but the feeling-so-sorrowful thing has really got to ease up. I feel like someone died half the time. Maybe it's me.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Hi 8thPhoenix, I just wanted to say I commend you for what you are doing. It's hard juggling sobriety with many other demands. But it can be done! I'm barely on day 21 so don't feel like your too new to post.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi 8thPhoenix

You can post here if you feel more comfortable doing so, but I wanted to let you know we have a Class of September thread too, for people at more or less the same point in their progress as you

D
Old 09-16-2012, 10:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi all and welcome 8th Phoenix! Just a check in - I hope you all had successful weekends on the sobriety front. I did and for that I'm very grateful.

'Trust yourself. Create the kind of self that you will be happy to live with all your life. Make the most of yourself by fanning the tiny, inner sparks of possibility into flames of achievement.'
Golda Meir
Old 09-16-2012, 10:54 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Day 30 just starting....Many congrats to grace for also hitting 30 days....Just slurping down a pint of tea before I quickly walk the dog and then get the kids ready for school...Then I need to chuck some quality food down my neck before I go hit the gym...I'll be back later for a more in depth update...Have a good day....Take care....Steve...
Old 09-16-2012, 10:57 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Stevie - and you too Grace

D
Old 09-17-2012, 12:45 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good morning all

Did I tell you all I'm on DAY 30, Steve too! Ta daaa, ta daaa, ta daaa, woo hoo.

It's a new day, another sober day and what's more the sun is shining too! I've slept a bit later than I should have this morning, but hey ho, I needed it. I'm not in work today, it's my Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday week. Need to nip into town to take a cheque to the bank, pick up prescription from the pharmacy, buy a few odds and sods. This afternoon I've got some more stuff together for the charity shop. I'll take my mum with me, as she loves having a rummage in there.My brother is home at the moment so he can babysit Dad. My brother is single and lives most of the year in Thailand, then comes home for a couple of months here and there. Gives me a bit of a break. The charity shop is part of our local hospice, so I take all my unwanted stuff there, as I think most of us have been touched by cancer in our lives. Trouble is everything takes me twice as long to do, with a two year old in tow! But so be it.

Nuway, you made me laugh, you are so funny! Erica could pretend she's an old fogey like me too. My children make fun of me when I'm texting, takes me half an hour to find wherever I've left my reading glasses, half an hour to do a short text message, then half the time I send them to the wrong person!! Techno phobic I keep telling them. Thanks for your kind words, re the home front, I'm not so worried about it now, I think we'll get there slowly but surely. I've not lost more than a couple of pounds either, you think it would drop off after giving up all those calories in booze! I have an under-active thyroid so I'll blame that.

LLg, that is exciting, a cardio machine at home, how good is that? Hope your not like me with my exercise bike. I put it in the bedroom so I had no excuse not to use it, then ended up hanging my clothes on it when I got undressed!! Making veg soup too, I'm very impressed, You'll have to share your recipe, I make loads of soups, much better for you than all the tinned and processed stuff which is full of salt. Have to say, you're sounding much more positive.

Very big welcome to 8thPhoenix. We love new people joining and posting in our class. As your on day 5 you could also join the September group. That way you'd get double the support. Sorry you had a bit of a rough day, honestly it does get easier, Keep strong, keep posting.

Has anyone heard from Alaskagirl? She doesn't seem to have posted the last couple of days. Maybe she's been away somewhere or maybe just v. busy.

Anyway, here wishing you all a joyous, happy, sober Monday.

Big hugs

G

Just for today, I will have a programme. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. I will save myself from two pests, hurry and indecision.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:46 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi Apple and thanks Dee.

Gx
Old 09-17-2012, 04:15 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Huge CONGRATS to Grace and Stevie on 30 days! You're killin' it!
Old 09-17-2012, 04:27 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Grace and Steve at 30 days! Wonderful! Marvelous! Yea!
Old 09-17-2012, 04:45 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

hi again

Just checking in quickly while my little boy is having his lunch. Had quite a pleasant morning, went into town and put a cheque in the bank for my son, had a look round a couple of shops and treated myself to a new sweater for winter! Decided I am going to treat myself every time I hit a milestone, every 10 days (ha ha). May only be a bottle of nail polish or similar, but I'm going to do it, Don't get any better thought of for not!

Anyway, better get my own lunch now and then go and pick mum up.

Catch up laters

Gxx
Old 09-17-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Thumbs up

Hi all
Well I am travelling well. 36 days sober I think.
I am loving being sober and really enjoying getting "reconnected" with the community I live in.
I was always actively involved in the community I lived in. As the years passed by this involvement was reduced to the bare minimum as dictated by my drinking.
But a couple of opportunities have come up this month that I have embraced rather ran from:
1) I am coaching my daughters' junior touch team. I had no valid excuse left and their nagging wore me down..it has been a long time since I have coached a team not directly related to work
2) I start a Surf Bronze course this week...I last did it 20 years ago...to support my youngest daughter in her surf swim..she is scared and doesn't trust water safety..she wants her mum
3) Tomorrow if it doesn't thunderstorm, my hubby and I are doing a coaching course together...
The timing for these activities is impeccable I needed something to keep me occupied in the holidays, I will have a lot of reading and practical training I can do for the surf bronze.
The only times I can remember me not drinking have been when I have had a sporting goal to work towards.For the first time in my adult life this time I was sober before I set these goals.
I still will have many challenges with drinking, especially socially when I go to sports functions. My old line " I don't drink when I am training" will probably be my reason I give for my sobriety..for now anyway.
This Friday I might disclose to a close friend. I have knocked back drinking with her on 3 occasions already...she doesn't have a drinking problem..I'll see how the conversation goes on Friday night anyway.
Anyway thankyou for all your support.
I will keep you posted
Jodie

At work probably not a lot has changed on the outside except I am happier and constantly drink herbal tea
Old 09-17-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Congrats Steve and Grace. That's great.

Day 41, or something like that. Feeling better but still too much coffee...I think I replaced beer with caffeine. Probably not very healthy but better than the alternative I suppose. I'll work on it later...as well as smoking.

I'm glad to see we all seem to be working through our stuff. This whole reality thing can be difficult at times but maybe we're just learning how to live. I find myself getting irritable at around 2-4 o'clock in the afternoons....my wife pointed out that its the time I normally start drinking beer....hmm...

Hope everyone has a wonderful sober Monday.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi LSC1, you're doing really well and what better timing could that coaching position be? Just the thing to keep you occupied, brilliant stuff. You'll get through the social events, there's always a way. You're doing brilliant so just carry on with what you're doing.

Bruce, good to hear from you too, you are also doing really well, yes it can be difficult, but it's worth it. Most people get tired around 15.00, I think we should have a siesta time then!

Want to Heal, hope everything is okay with you today, you're keeping a low profile. I'm sure you're very busy.

Catch up again later.

Gxx
Old 09-17-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Waiting for my train home after what feels like a very long day at work. Day 24, still going strong, busy weekend prepping for my interview and studying. I did manage to fit a haircut in. I normally go to one of those no appointment necessary places as and when I realise I desperately need a cut. This time I booked myself into a lovely salon, they started with a 10 minute Indian head massage - bliss! I will be returning and it is only one weeks booze money!

Congrats Grace and Steve, great news, you are both officially fab!

x
Old 09-17-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi Jojo

Well Monday's done now, so hope you get chance to chill out this evening. What day is your interview? I wish you luck.

My hair wants cutting drastically, it's just finding time to fit it in. Indian head massage, what bliss!

Thanks for the congratulations, you're doing really well yourself too.

Gx