Notices

Class Of September 2012

Old 09-04-2012, 04:40 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
RGO

Welcome back walkingwithgod!

You know well that things will get better every day!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:44 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Day 1 for me again, I got stressed out by a number of things yesterday and unfortunately decided to deal with it with drink. Right now I'm working a job that I don't want to be working, and I'm trying hard to find a new place to work. I'm grateful to have a job, but that's about it :P

In the meantime, girls are driving me crazy, and no, not in the good way, haha. One in particular is leading me on in the wrong ways and just frustrating me...this just needs to end and I need to move on with my life. Not that this is a place for relationship advice, I just need to find new ways to deal with the things in my life that stress me out.

I have been going back to the gym and developing a new exercise routine. For now I'm a bit sore, but as my muscles develop, it will be a more comfortable and definitely more healthy way of dealing with my stress rather than drinking it away!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:55 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

15 hours since my last drink.. I guess I am going to have to take this minute by minute. I know where a meeting is at noon. 4 hours seems like forever! My brain feels like a bundle of raw, exposed, short circuiting wires. I am being flooded by emotions & I dont know how to deal with them. I drank for years to numb myself, I cant stop the tears now. I am just so grateful I found this site. Time to get my kids on the bus for school & then off to work for me.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Welcome back Walkingwithgod! Good to hear from you again... keep coming back. You can do this.... may September be your month; may 9/3/12 be your day!!! Stand tall, take it one day at a time! Focus on TODAY, not on shortcomings of yesterday. We all have things in our past, our closet, which we wish were different. Nothing we can do about that. Think of your health, that 5k run coming up, your wife and 3 year old child, and forever living a life NOT CHAINED to alcohol!! You will be SO much better off WHEN you overcome this.

Welcome also to Fdm, Texansfan, Michelle76, thenn88, elihoping, and Illuminate, and any other newcomers wanting a new lease on (alcohol-free) life!!!

You all will find many people here at SR who truly understand where you've been and what you are going through. I started coming here in July, cried my eyes out, not knowing how I would ever be able to live without alcohol. I drank every night, went to work hungover every day (if I even made it). I was completely neglecting my wife and 3 teenagers, because I was so umbilically connected to that bottle.

Well, through support I got from SR, and from going to AA meetings daily (it works for me, but there are other ways too), I am now celebrating my 35TH DAY SOBER TODAY!!! God willing that I stay strong, August 1, 2012 will forever be my sobriety date. Life is so much different now, even only 1 month into this process.

So hang in there newcomers, if I can do it, so can you!! Best of luck, and keep coming back.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JohnnyOneDay View Post
Welcome back Walkingwithgod! Good to hear from you again... keep coming back. You can do this.... may September be your month; may 9/3/12 be your day!!! Stand tall, take it one day at a time! Focus on TODAY, not on shortcomings of yesterday. We all have things in our past, our closet, which we wish were different. Nothing we can do about that. Think of your health, that 5k run coming up, your wife and 3 year old child, and forever living a life NOT CHAINED to alcohol!! You will be SO much better off WHEN you overcome this.

Welcome also to Fdm, Texansfan, Michelle76, thenn88, elihoping, and Illuminate, and any other newcomers wanting a new lease on (alcohol-free) life!!!

You all will find many people here at SR who truly understand where you've been and what you are going through. I started coming here in July, cried my eyes out, not knowing how I would ever be able to live without alcohol. I drank every night, went to work hungover every day (if I even made it). I was completely neglecting my wife and 3 teenagers, because I was so umbilically connected to that bottle.

Well, through support I got from SR, and from going to AA meetings daily (it works for me, but there are other ways too), I am now celebrating my 35TH DAY SOBER TODAY!!! God willing that I stay strong, August 1, 2012 will forever be my sobriety date. Life is so much different now, even only 1 month into this process.

So hang in there newcomers, if I can do it, so can you!! Best of luck, and keep coming back.
Thank you so much for the kind words. I am scared to death, as I was the one always drinking. Now I feel or will feel awkward at parties or gatherings. I am or need to be a better person. Good Luck
Old 09-04-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Welcome to the class everyone that joined last night.

Day 3. Slept a lil better last night and such a nice thought waking up knowing I didn't drink last night. Back to work today. Will catch up more later tonight. Have a great sober day everyone!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Stay strong all.
It may take many months for your mind & body to heal, but these first weeks are the crucial time to get your head on the sober path. get extra rest, get local help if you need \ if you can (doctors, rehab, aa etc.). Push through the miserable detoxing stage and get on with your life free of that old worn out daily cycle.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Going to try to commit today

So I've been reading and posting for a few months but have not yet made any attempt to commit to quitting. I am going to try that today and join this class. I had a bottle of wine Friday and two beers on Saturday so I guess 9/2/2012 is my quit date. Good luck to all!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

WWG,
It is normal to be scared. But it gets easier.
I used to drink all the time too. Tried to juggle my alcohol abuse, my family obligations, my career, friends, etc., and keep all the balls in the air. At some point they all come crashing down.

So far, I'm 35 days sober. Maybe you can relate to some of my thoughts and comments......

I also used to drink heavily at business meetings, outings, parties, gatherings, etc. Over the past month, I've been to probably ten events where alcohol was present, and chose not to partake. I thought I'd feel awkward too. But to be honest, nobody at these events really cares who's drinking and who's not. They are just focused on their own thing.
  • Class Reunion - 3 days into my sobriety, I had my 30th class reunion. I was dreading it! But to my surprise, I made it through the entire night, was not even drawn to the bar! I learned that you can have fun at a party and be sober!
  • Dinner at a trade show - I was at a huge international trade show with a large contingent (maybe a dozen of us) from my company. The first night, we were wined and dined by a customer, at a 5-star steak house. Drinks galore, $150 wine bottles, etc. Everyone was drinking, except me. NOBODY CARED! I managed just fine. If anyone asks, just say, you're trying to take better care of yourself. No Big Deal!
  • Trade show night #2 - We all went to dinner again, with peers, my boss, my boss'es boss, and the CEO. Great casual business atmosphere, with everyone drinking. I again made it through with my iced tea, diet coke or water. Again, I did NOT have to drink to be involved. I had fun too, and felt great the next day.
  • Several other dinners on business trips - Again, I have managed just fine without alcohol.
I know you struggled with drinking/not drinking at golf outing(s) last month. It'd be the same there.... people won't think less of you if you are not drinking. You don't have to drink to have fun.

WWG, you see, you are not alone in this. There are thousands or millions of us who are going through, and/or have gone through, what you are currently experiencing. I know that you and I have a lot in common; I'm just 15 years older than you. I wish I would have quit when I was yoru age at 34. Alcohol ruled my life. I drank daily for years. I am happily married (thankfully wife never left me) with children. I started drinking very heavily in college and never stopped. I have missed out on many activities in my kids' lives (my kids are teens, my oldest is a senior in high school... at least if you quit now, you will have nearly your daughter's entire life to enjoy), I too was known by my coworkers as a heavy drinker, I drank to drown away my insecurities and depression (not knowing initially that it was making things worse), etc. etc.
I even got a DUI and lost my job 8 years ago, but was not ready to quit then. I went through the motions, said "yeah yeah" to the therapist and judge, started drinking again a year later in moderation, moved to a new town with a new high-paying job and built a new house. Moderation turned into several times a week, to daily, to massive amounts daily.
Finally, this summer, I admitted to myself I was alcoholic, I told myself and my wife that I needed help, and I went to a counselor, who told me to go to 90 AA meetings in 90 days.
Now, I know that some people are not comfortable with AA, but it works for me. I know from some of your previous posts that you have a pre-concieved mental image of the people who attend AA. Let me tell you firsthand, that I have met all kinds of people there, from all walks of life, that normally would not mix, but all have a comraderie and brotherly bond that we'd all have if we were saved from a sinking ship. We're all on the Titanic lifeboats heading to shore!!! In my lifeboats (AA meetings), I've met police officers, teachers, executive VP's, factory workers, pharmacists, tattoo artists, engineers, salesmen, politicians, etc. An eclectic mix, yes, but hey, it works for me.

So, WWG, thanks for listening to me ramble, but I truly feel your pain. But my suggestion to you is.... Do not keep looking backwards, with all kinds of regrets. We've all had them, and "it is what it is". All we can do is LIVE FOR TODAY, which by remaining strong, can be LIVED SOBER. Just stay sober today. Tomrrow say the same thing. Before you know it, you'll rack up days, then weeks, and then more. I wish you all the best. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! Godspeed.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JohnnyOneDay View Post
WWG,
It is normal to be scared. But it gets easier.
I used to drink all the time too. Tried to juggle my alcohol abuse, my family obligations, my career, friends, etc., and keep all the balls in the air. At some point they all come crashing down.

So far, I'm 35 days sober. Maybe you can relate to some of my thoughts and comments......

I also used to drink heavily at business meetings, outings, parties, gatherings, etc. Over the past month, I've been to probably ten events where alcohol was present, and chose not to partake. I thought I'd feel awkward too. But to be honest, nobody at these events really cares who's drinking and who's not. They are just focused on their own thing.
  • Class Reunion - 3 days into my sobriety, I had my 30th class reunion. I was dreading it! But to my surprise, I made it through the entire night, was not even drawn to the bar! I learned that you can have fun at a party and be sober!
  • Dinner at a trade show - I was at a huge international trade show with a large contingent (maybe a dozen of us) from my company. The first night, we were wined and dined by a customer, at a 5-star steak house. Drinks galore, $150 wine bottles, etc. Everyone was drinking, except me. NOBODY CARED! I managed just fine. If anyone asks, just say, you're trying to take better care of yourself. No Big Deal!
  • Trade show night #2 - We all went to dinner again, with peers, my boss, my boss'es boss, and the CEO. Great casual business atmosphere, with everyone drinking. I again made it through with my iced tea, diet coke or water. Again, I did NOT have to drink to be involved. I had fun too, and felt great the next day.
  • Several other dinners on business trips - Again, I have managed just fine without alcohol.
I know you struggled with drinking/not drinking at golf outing(s) last month. It'd be the same there.... people won't think less of you if you are not drinking. You don't have to drink to have fun.

WWG, you see, you are not alone in this. There are thousands or millions of us who are going through, and/or have gone through, what you are currently experiencing. I know that you and I have a lot in common; I'm just 15 years older than you. I wish I would have quit when I was yoru age at 34. Alcohol ruled my life. I drank daily for years. I am happily married (thankfully wife never left me) with children. I started drinking very heavily in college and never stopped. I have missed out on many activities in my kids' lives (my kids are teens, my oldest is a senior in high school... at least if you quit now, you will have nearly your daughter's entire life to enjoy), I too was known by my coworkers as a heavy drinker, I drank to drown away my insecurities and depression (not knowing initially that it was making things worse), etc. etc.
I even got a DUI and lost my job 8 years ago, but was not ready to quit then. I went through the motions, said "yeah yeah" to the therapist and judge, started drinking again a year later in moderation, moved to a new town with a new high-paying job and built a new house. Moderation turned into several times a week, to daily, to massive amounts daily.
Finally, this summer, I admitted to myself I was alcoholic, I told myself and my wife that I needed help, and I went to a counselor, who told me to go to 90 AA meetings in 90 days.
Now, I know that some people are not comfortable with AA, but it works for me. I know from some of your previous posts that you have a pre-concieved mental image of the people who attend AA. Let me tell you firsthand, that I have met all kinds of people there, from all walks of life, that normally would not mix, but all have a comraderie and brotherly bond that we'd all have if we were saved from a sinking ship. We're all on the Titanic lifeboats heading to shore!!! In my lifeboats (AA meetings), I've met police officers, teachers, executive VP's, factory workers, pharmacists, tattoo artists, engineers, salesmen, politicians, etc. An eclectic mix, yes, but hey, it works for me.

So, WWG, thanks for listening to me ramble, but I truly feel your pain. But my suggestion to you is.... Do not keep looking backwards, with all kinds of regrets. We've all had them, and "it is what it is". All we can do is LIVE FOR TODAY, which by remaining strong, can be LIVED SOBER. Just stay sober today. Tomrrow say the same thing. Before you know it, you'll rack up days, then weeks, and then more. I wish you all the best. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! Godspeed.

Thank you so much for that post it really hit home. I guess we as drinkers are different people. I doubt that most people think about alcohol all day, and worry what other people will think of them if they are not drinking. I need to let go and move on. Regrets will lead me back to drinking and not to recovery.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Newcomer on day one of my sobriety. Thank you for all the support and encouragement. Im excited to have all of you as friends who understand my struggle.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

WWG, Hang in there. Forgive yourself for the regrets. You'll feel much better for it. Please do "...let go and move on." Focus on not drinking today. Count your blessings. You can do this.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

to Inspriredbyu and all other newcomers,
Welcome!! Thanks for coming to SR and keep coming back! You will find great support here; you are not alone in your struggles! Take it one day at a time.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Day 7. Can't remember the last time I went a week without drinking. I feel great.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hello. Had awful nightmares last night...this is Day 3 for me. Felt pretty okay for most of yesterday, but this morning I feel really shaky. Did my meditation, exercised, ate a good breakfast. I know the panicky feeling will pass--think I'll throw myself into work to see if I can keep occupied until my body settles down.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:18 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

OK......let's try this again.........48 Years old, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, overweight, and recently diagnosed with Coronary Artery Disease......been a binge drinker since the age of 16......if not now when?.........Day 1.....today......longest I've quit for in the past was for 59 days.......wish me luck......
Old 09-04-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Fdm

Good luck, my friend.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

dbskid - Sounds so much like me but I don't have quite the health issues you do. Stick with it - 48 is so young to be suffering like that. I will think of you as I try to give it a whirl myself
Old 09-04-2012, 11:42 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hey everyone.... Back to day 1. I am determined this time to make it 30 days. I am reading the AA big book and checking out the SMART recovery web site.

Am planning to post here quite a bit in the next month.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
RGO

Good luck dbskid!

You can do it!