Old 09-09-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome augdog
you'll find a ton of support here

D
Old 09-09-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

I am checking out that AVRT & learning how to urge surf, been reading off & on all afternoon. These urges were kicking my butt earlier, but I am going to bed sober (hope I dont toss & turn all night!!) I want to once again THANK YOU ALL for being here sharing & listening. You are giving me so much strength & hope! This is so wonderful to have just started posting here, yet feeling so connected to each of you. Our stories, our reasons for drinking, our stinkin' thinkin' & our B.S. excuses are all the same. I am just grateful we have found this site & each other, I am also grateful WE all have those a bit farther along in recovery to point out where we are about to mess up & encourage us to get up & keep trying!! Monday is only a few hours away. Sweet dreams September Class, I will see all of you beautiful people in the morning!!!
Old 09-09-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

7days, we all have days like that. I actually knew on Friday this was an "alone" weekend but kinda in a good way. I got tons done at home and never thought about drinking. Nice to wake up early with a good cup of java and get my day started....SOBER! Now if I can just geT started on that diet....lol. On to day 6....hang tight fellow September mates!
Old 09-09-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

This is Day 1. I've been building myself up to this day for months and have been visiting this wonderful site for some time. I've been told the first month is the hardest but I haven't been able to get past 3 days. 6 was my longest. Apart from my pregnancies I've been drinking heavily for over 20 years. I'll keep posting and thanking the universe for every day sober.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Ella, augdog, Festiva - welcome!

DeepBreath - good for you!!
Don't you feel great!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

I echo Obladi's welcome to Ella, augdog, Festiva! This is a really active forum filled with great supportive people. Keep posting, reading and connecting and your battle with the urges will become more manageable.

Day 10 for me, almost done. I spent most of the day at a memorial service/wake - and ironically was given the task of serving up drinks during the meal. This was, of course, during my witching hour of 4:30-7:30....but, I managed to not drink and was not horribly tempted either (which was a very weird experience). I did however drink a lot of water, enough to float away. I don't think it was a great situation to be put in - but I survived.

I hope the remainder of your weekends are peaceful. I want to thank the community of SR (again) for helping me find my way back. I am beginning to enjoy my new alcohol free existence and rediscovering some of my old loves and interests.

Take care, Panacea
Old 09-09-2012, 07:35 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Heya SR, haven't posted in a while, hope all are having a good Sunday. Rolling over from the class of August.

Day 31 today. Can't believe it has already been a month since my last drink. I've had a couple of times where I thought relapse was imminent. The amazing thing is the next day, that trigger or thought process is no longer a concern. As alcohol loses each battle, the ability to deal with life without a crutch gets much easier. Glad my mind has been tackling the heaviest weights on my shoulders first.

This past Thursday I had a bad day. Early dentist appointment, bad news from the Dr.'s about a close family member, missed a class due to a huge accident (thankfully no fatalities), and to top it off, got called into work on my 'day off'. I was beyond irritated, but drinking never entered my mind. A month ago? Drinking was a given. The next day the co-workers shift I took called me and offered to take my shift for the night. A very sweet girl that sits next to me emailed me all of her notes, without me even asking. Have an exam this week and a large part of the subject matter was given during that lecture. Took her out to dinner for doing that (she is also very cute :p). Was one of the best days in recent memory while the day prior was one of the worst.

One thing I've come to realize is everyone has a bad day here and there, and the next day is always better, especially if you don't have a hangover. I became so accustomed to using alcohol as a way to remedy anything negative, I forgot how much easier and healthier it is to deal with it sober. For a while, I longed to be back in the state I was a month ago. I wanted to feel miserable, unhappy, and lost. My normal for years was chaos. I am used to that, I can deal with that. This happiness? Being proud and feeling accomplished, not only because I didn't drink today: I did something new, kept up with the routine to break my old habits, finished a paper days before it was due instead of the morning of, going above and beyond at work instead of doing the bare minimum. It scared me at first. How could this order come from such a chaotic mind, so quickly? I don't know what is going on within my mind, but whatever it is, is working. I look forward to tomorrow (well, as much as anyone can for a Monday) instead of dreading it, knowing I won't have a hangover and will be clear minded to handle the tasks of the day in an efficient manner.

I have you guys at SR (and God) to thank for that. I -would not- have made it past the first week if I hadn't had found this site. I would have brushed off the binge and just toned it back for a while, then been in much worse shape after midterms were over.

Sorry for the long read, kinda took on a life of its own.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Thank you mildlytired for your fantastic post! And congratulations on 31 days! Your words are truly helpful and supportive!

Panacea
Old 09-09-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Doing good Mild!!!!
Old 09-09-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

I was away from the computer for the whole day, and it's fantastic to hear about the many successes! Can't wait to join everyone tomorrow on the podium.

Went to a family event and was strangely uninterested in the booze. Usually it's flowing at these things--and probably was here, too--but I was so focused on the food and my nieces that the wine seemed far away. If I could always have such a non-reaction to booze, I wouldn't have this problem...but that's just not my reality. And know that I very well may crave a drink at the next event, so I don't want to get cocky. But it was great to not care about the wine and beer around me--not try to figure out how to drink more than other people without seeming to drink more. To get my husband to drive home since I don't trust myself. Such a waste of brain space.

I did eat too much, though, and feel a bit bloated. But I'll take that any day over the regret I would have had.

Sleep well everyone...I'll see you in the morning!
Old 09-09-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Festiva

D
Old 09-09-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks for a great post mildlytired - and congratulations!

D
Old 09-09-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome Fallow, Augdog and Festiva! You've found a great group here, without them, I don't think I would have made it through this weekend.

DarkAsylum, glad you have decided to go all in! Making the decision to throw away problem meds is a hard one. Just remember, this can be your last Day 1.

Sobershine, I'm so glad you had such a positive experience with AA. That can make the difference between someone sticking with it and not. And it's a far better place to go than the bar.

Deepbreath, good for you! You give me hope that I might be able to go out to eat again!

I made it through my family party. All the worrying about being uncomfortable, and my b-i-l wasn't even there. I need to work on not projecting, big time. I ended up having a really nice time. Definitely better than the alternative, which would have been me staying home by myself with plenty of time and opportunity!
Old 09-09-2012, 08:27 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  
Administrator

getting up to 500 posts guys - time for a new thread

please join us again here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

D