Notices

Class of July 2012 part 2

Old 07-24-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

TIG-thanks for your kind words.I didn't manage the gym but did go for steam and sauna which was very relaxing and feel lots better now.took DS totoddler group and now eating ice cream!

It does help to know we aren't alone doesn't it.this site is fantastic
Old 07-24-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Yes, to all the above!!

I have been very emotional and introspective the past few weeks. I'm really hopeful that after a month or so, I begin to feel a bit more level.

Let's take the time to work through this stuff instead of drowing it out or putting it off with the alcohol.

I feel like I have so much vested now in my spiritual/physical well being at this point. I just can't imagine throwing away what I have learned/gained the last three weeks.

Onward, friends. Let's keep moving forward and heal these souls of ours.

Have a great day!
Old 07-24-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Hi gang!

Wonderful news that you got through the evening without drinking, Nessa. Family can definitely be a major stressor / trigger. Each day you make it without drinking, the stronger you are to stand up to things like that. I'm trying to learn to relax... that's a hard thing to do when you're high-strung like me.

Welcome Koala and 4mk! Good post.

MtnS.... Congrats on day 10! We can all do this.... it's really nice we can do this together. Thank God for SR!

Mel... LOVE the enthusiasm in your post!

TiG... Yeah, I've learned not go to a full 24 hours without posting because this is extremely active! Loving it Congrats on the double digits!

Thanks, VC!!!!!

JHE.... I'm feeling that also.

Sarah.... so glad things are going well for you

But I think I know why now. I was reading in AA's Big Book about a woman who quit drinking and went to meetings and all that. But wasn't really fully committed to the program. I realized that even though I have a sponsor and go to a meeting each week, I'm still trying to do this myself. Scarey realization because now that I know that, I have to do something about it.

Ok, gotta go - I haven't ran for the last few days... feel sluggish... it's just so stinking humid outside. I'll shoot for early tomorrow morning. Or maybe just go for a fast-walk/jog. Ok, talked myself into it... I'm going out to do 3 miles. Then it's time to do the trim on painting project. I'm also supposed to be on-call for work - they're having a quality audit and guess who the main go-to person is for that?? Yeah, moi. Thankful that my doc is letting me work from home on a part-time basis.

Have a Terrific Tuesday everyone! We CAN and ARE doing this!!!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
TiG

Originally Posted by ViciousCycle View Post
Hi July 2012, I am a July 2011 person and just wanted to pop in to your class to add some encouragement!

Our class has a handful of members that made it all the way to this month, including myself. One year of not drinking. A miracle. I am no different than any of you, I used to love to drink. I am here to say that my life is much better without alcohol leading you through it.

You guys are in the early stages which can be a little emotional, that's so normal....things will eventually level out, honest. Just stay the path. You can expect to feel mad, sad, confused, frustrated and all that....but it will lead you to calm, happy, grateful and just all around GOOD. It's worth the leveling out period!! Lean on each other when you feel like drinking! The thoughts will subside. Stay busy. Pamper yourself. Reward yourself.

And ask Dee about stuff. He is full of experience that you will be able to relate to.

I am here to say it can be done. There is hope and it does get better...I mean LOTS better!

VC
Thanks VC!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Hi Today is good, and good morning/afternoon to everyone
You asked about exercise...I am having some major issues getting motivated. I do happen to have a lovely (if not somewhat stupid) chocolate lab who goes walking with my husband about 5:30am for about 8km/an hour...but they walk too quickly/too far and too early for me.
I sometimes do the evening walk, but that is much shorter..and my other excuse at the moment is that it is just too hot and humid to walk in the evening. The temperature has been up over 30C - 86F with a humidex of over 40. I simply can't breathe in this weather.
So now that you have all heard my excuses. ..I really should move my backside and walk with the dog a reasonable distance. She is always willing to go for walk, and she never talks back - though she does have a tendency to eat through the leash if you stop and dawdle
Old 07-24-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Resident Alien

Day 5 from opiates here... staying strong today (days 3 and 4 were the worst, methinks). I fully plan to be here next year celebrating my 1 year anniversary on 7/19/2013. Congrats to all of us! I am with all of you guys in spirit, as you are me. We can do this!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

Hi Katan,

We have a treadmill upstairs covered in clothes and collecting dust and find that I just can't motivate myself to go up and use it. I'm using the heat as an excuse not to go out walking but we both know it's no where as near as hot on the West Coast as it in your part of the country.

Soooooooo, my hubby and I bit the bullet and joined a local gym. It's a bit more work getting dressed and driving there but once there it's motivating to see others working out and pushes me a bit harder. Started with the intention of just doing cardio but have surprised myself and my husband, and am picking up some weights. Might be worth a shot - even if it's just a monthly membership to seen how it goes.

Sober is the new cool! Could excercise be a close and upcoming second??
Old 07-24-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

I am--was--a martini drinker. I was just using my shampoo when I noticed on the label: HAVE A MOISTURE-TINI!

On my shampoo! So I'm not crazy. Everything really is trying to remind me of drinking.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

Seriously!!! So we really aren't crazy. I have to go look at my shampoo now and see what it says.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Hey guys!
Wow so many amazing posts to read this afternoon!

Mel thanks for this wonderful post, that didn't sound at all like a sermon!
Viciouscycle it's cool to come by, very inspiring!
Dragonfire, keep up the good work, I know how hard it is to quit opiates. The first week is tough but its gonna get easier soon. Keep posting!

Alright, soundcheck done. We open for a rock'n'roll band we know a little, and once more it's gonna be tough since we always et drunk (and more) together and... We share the same hotel, hmmmm...

Ill definitely check SR a lot tonight!

Good luck everyone!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

A bit sad day, if i had not been such a drunk i would not have lost my boyfriend, he gave me so many chances, and i woud be ok for awhile and then blackout, i wish i had that time back. I wish i could take away the things i did to lose him. I miss him so much. It is hard to concentrate at work and at home. I just wish i would have sobered up a bit sooner. I know am supposed to forgive myself and move on, but i dont know how....
Old 07-24-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hello everyone...you are giving me the inspiration to get on my treadmill today. I have a gym just across the street and I haven't made it there in over a year because I'm embarresed because I have put on more weight....now does that make sence. I said a little prayer for guidance today so I'm hoping today is the day. It seems exercise is such a crucial part of recovery....I know it has been with me....my problem when I quit exercising it takes a whole LOT to get my going again. I even started my journaling which I hadn't done in a while but helps me alot too.
lbnv.......journaling helped me alot when I was going through alot....if I could just stay on track with what works for me.
Wishing everyone a peaceful sober day
Myjourney4me
Old 07-24-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Day 3 for me, again. I feel pretty awesome and confident though this time. I am giving the AVRT a shot and I feel pretty powerful, instead of powerless. I had never given my alcoholic thinking a seperate identity than my true self, and its really helping me understand that I need to pound any thought of drinking immediately into submission. Obviously I am at the beginning stages of recovery, but this seems to be working so far. Good luck everyone!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

TIG... I have been back with my parents for 2 years now, and am finally able to get back out on my own! I think itll be good for all of us, August 1st can't come soon enough!!

Today has been fantastic! The past 2 days, I have had a lot more energy, I actually want to do things! (red bull is definitely helping too, haha) I made pancakes and eggs for my daughter and I for breakfast. Before, I would have given her microwave pancakes and fell back asleep on the couch, yikes! Speaking of my daughter, I think she can tell mommy is feeling better, because she's been so overly happy the past 3-4 days!

I really am starting to feel motivated to get back into the gym, I have the energy back now, and I would love to drop these extra pounds I put on from drinking like a fish. If I could lose 20 lbs, I'd be in fantastic shape and look awesome! I can already see the difference in my face and a little in my tummy on day 9, and that makes me feel really good!

Something is really confusing me.... Why do I think about drinking at all, when I feel so great? I mean, although im proud of 9 days sober, it's really not that long, and I already feel like a new person. WHYvdo I even consider a drink? It logically doesn't make sense! I know it's just the addiction, and familiar lifestyle, but holy cow, it feels great to be sober.

Lastly, im so thankful to have found this place. I read a lot of your thoughts on here, and it helps me stay motivated! I was so pissed off last night, and wanted a drink "to calm down" so bad, but I'm glad I thought to come here first.... It really did help!

I hope everyone is enjoying their Tuesday, I'm going to begin packing for the big move which is only 8 days away!!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

Things will get better!

Originally Posted by lbnv View Post
A bit sad day, if i had not been such a drunk i would not have lost my boyfriend, he gave me so many chances, and i woud be ok for awhile and then blackout, i wish i had that time back. I wish i could take away the things i did to lose him. I miss him so much. It is hard to concentrate at work and at home. I just wish i would have sobered up a bit sooner. I know am supposed to forgive myself and move on, but i dont know how....
Hang in there! Things will get better - it'll just take some time (I know that's probably not a big consolation). Focus on yourself and your recovery first - the rest will follow. We can't take back our mistakes and we sure can't get back the time we wasted/lost (we all wish we could) but now it's time to focus on the future. One day at a time (or like I said before for me - minute by minute, hour by hour). It'll be hard at first but it will happen.

PLUS keep busy! If you don't feel like doing much maybe just think of some things to do related to your recovery - online articles, self help books, journaling or just keep coming here and reading posts if you don't feel like writing. It's very inspirational and encouraging.

If you think you're ready for something like AA meetings, check out some meeting times in your city. Once you feel like you're doing something to help yourself, you'll start to feel better!
Old 07-24-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

End of day 5 for me. Easy day today, no real cravings. Enjoying the easy bit (for me) Its a few weeks down the line when av tries to convince me im a normal drinker (whatever that is) Thats when it gets hard.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
TiG

Katan: Motivation to exercise is hard. For some reason, I've stuck with running. One evening in December about two years ago, Wife and I were sitting in the living room watching TV and I was spacing out over how life needed some flamboyant and reckless courage. Some panache to spice the senses of our ordinary humdrum. So, I blurted out that I was going to run a marathon. I'm one of the introverts, so I'm totally convinced people know what I'm thinking when in fact they have no clue because I never tell them. I got one of those shocked and "are you as stupid as I think you are?" looks from my Wife. She said, "no you're not." I said, "yes I am," and I went downstairs, took the cloths off our treadmill and started running like Forest Gump. Been running ever since, and yes I did my marathon. Very painfully, but I got it done. So, maybe someone needs to tell you that you just can't exercise at all, and if you're like me, you'll be all over that one to show them up.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

Hahahahaha, TIG!! Congrats on the marathon - I can just see you on that treadmill running like Forrest! Good on you for doing something out of the ordinary (something extraordinary, in fact) - goes to show you that you can set your mind on something and really achieve it!! I'm going upstairs to uncover my treadmill in case I get the urge to use it whenever the gym is closed. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Wow this thread moves fast.

I am going to try an excersize routine jumpstart here soon.
I need it bad.

Day 2 and although a few cravings occurred yesterday I am firm in my resolve. No smoking either, as then I figure a drink sounds good with the smoke.

Got a ton done yesterday and off to finish up some stuff now.

I keep this up I might actually get some free time!
Old 07-24-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Sparkling water and rock'n'roll! The gig was cool, now the second band's playing, and I'm drinking sparklig water. Everyone keeps offering me drinks... I poured some water in a glass to pretend it's something else, like gin tonic or something... Resist, resist, resist. The after gig party with the second band is gonna be tough, they're all drinking a lot, and smoking a lot.
I think of you, it keeps me strong. Thanks SR.