Notices

Class of May 2012 Pt 7

Old 07-06-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Iwant2 View Post
I am at a layover in Houston. Looking all over for Luling. Can't find you
Hi Bob! *waving in direction of IAH*

Tanja, nice job avoiding alcohol under difficult circumstances. I would have a very hard time getting through 4 AC-less days with no alcohol. Stay strong and have a nap -- feeling tired is always a bit of a trigger for me.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Wow, Saskia, I'm impressed by your diy work! I have a honey-do list over here that my honey hasn't done; want to come over? I don't pay much, but I'll bake you some cookies.

Jane, it's good to hear your mom (or mum, as you guys say) is out of the hospital.

Emily, I bet you're going to have a wonderful time in London. It's always a little hard to say goodbye, but you seem to be very positive about this move.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I'm still with you all as mammoth instincts can attest too I'm on Day 51 and doing well. I'm continuing to actively work on my recovery (SR and AA meetings), but a finding that I'm spending less time thinking about alcohol - always a positive!

I got a few books (Big Book, 12x12 and Living Sober) that I have been working my way through. Actually, so far I'm only working my way through the Big Book, but I'll get to the others too. Promises promises, but I really will.

In the past week I've had been through two "drinking events," bday party and Fourth of July, being the only person not drinking but neither was a big deal. Either people don't care that I'm not drinking or they just assume that whatever I'm drinking has vodka in it. Who knows!?!?

Healthwise, I'm doing well. I have lost some weight, but have also put on muscle so I think my fat loss since quitting drinking is greater than the scale reflects. Turns out I'm also good at remembering to take my vitamins when I'm not waking up in the morning and grabbing myself a beer.

It's been amazing following everybody's journey, and I look forward to us conquering our pasts and building amazing futures. Much love May 2012 <3
Old 07-06-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Originally Posted by Luling View Post
FP, I'm glad to hear your 2nd mom is doing okay. Too bad Mr. Tranny is such an ass; what kind of person tries to goad his sick, elderly mom into an argument? So, have you bonded with any of the kitties yet?

My husband is doing pretty well without the alcohol. So he's making a real attempt at replacing his old routines with new ones.

I'm not too tempted to drink this week either, aside from a fleeting thought this afternoon. I was feeling tired when the thought of wine flashed through my mind, but I chased it away with with Snapple.
Hey, Luling. How wonderful that your husband is joining forces with you in your sobriety! Teamwork makes a huge difference. I'm really happy for you. Crossing my fingers that he keeps it up. And terrific that you beat down the beast with Snapple. Much easier to deal with this blazing heat without a hangover.

No kidding on putting up with Mr. Tranny. 2nd mom is weak enough as it is without her son giving her more grief. He'll take any opportunity to talk about his problems and his frustrations with his mother's "stubborn" ways. He's convinced she needs to see a therapist to work through her issues!? Geez, the woman is in her 90's... a wealth of life experience. Ugh. 'Nuf said on that before I blow up this post.

And, yes, I adore many of the cats, but I do not want to adopt any more pets. Got enough of my own poopers here at home.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Originally Posted by IllNeverTell View Post
I'm still with you all as mammoth instincts can attest too I'm on Day 51 and doing well. I'm continuing to actively work on my recovery (SR and AA meetings), but a finding that I'm spending less time thinking about alcohol - always a positive!

It's been amazing following everybody's journey, and I look forward to us conquering our pasts and building amazing futures. Much love May 2012 <3
Hey, IllNeverTell! So nice to hear from you, sobermate. You sound fantastic in keeping up your sobriety. Big congratulations to you on Day 51.

Excellent that you survived those party triggers. Speaking of, I'm hoping we didn't lose any of our respected classmates over this holiday stretch. Everyone, please continue to post with us regardless.

Hugs to you on taking such good care of yourself healthwise! Keep up the good work, May mate. You are an inspiration to all of us.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Just a quick check-in. Everything is great. What a fun (and clear-headed) summer!
Peace to everyone!
Lee
Old 07-06-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Saskia: I love it when a woman is her own handyperson! So empowering to be self-sufficient. I'm sure your carpentry looks awesome. Nice job on keeping up your sobriety.

Soberjane: Congrats on 55 days! Glad your mom is doing better...hope you're back to health as well. Good luck at school. Hugs to you.

Emily: Congratulations on your Day 33! Have a terrific time in London! Maybe you can post a picture for us? What I'd expressed to Dweller and Bob/Iwant2 on their travels goes the same for you... Be safe, be careful. We'll always be here for you. Stay strong. Hugs!

(((Tanja))): Wonderful to hear from you! So sorry that you've struggling in the heat and storms. As if anyone needs more stress this early in sobriety. Excellent that you're staying strong through it all. I wish peace for you and your husband. Huge hugs of love to you.

Lee: Thank you for your update. Sober high-fives to you, bro!

Dee: Where did you go, our sage and trusted leader? Hope all is well. Hugs of love to you.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hey Mayans,
Just want to check in. Like Saskia, I've been doing lots of projects I've been putting off for far too long. Today is gardening day too. I. Bought an extension pruner and hedge trimmer. Time to go at the cherry hedge and queen palms. Then time for a 4 mile run/walk.

On the sober front, doing well. No more feeling of pride like I had before. Kinda wary and want to be ready for when the beast decides to strike. I think it's when we are the most tired, frustrated, and depressed. Thank goodness this does not happen often!!!

Out to start trimming...I'll catch up with everyone later.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Just a quick lunch time check in. I feel like I've been straying from the forum lately because although I have a lot going on, I don't know what to post about. It might be a self esteem thing but I always feel like I'm complaining or just journaling about stuff no one cares about. But then I think about how reading everyone elses posts help me so I want to be able o contribute something. Like in the beginning, I felt like I had a lot on common with everyone and knew the topic: drinking. Now that we're taking drinking out of the equation, I don't feel like I have much to offer or that I belong. Sounds silly even as I write it but I've never felt comfortable or that I belonged in social groups, so that's coming up for me. I dunno. I got invited to my step sisters bachelorette party. She's not a crazy drinker but It could still prolly get rowdy. I ruined my whole evening at home with my husband last night worrying about going or not going and telling them about my sobriety or not telling them. Didn't want to make it about me but wanted to get more info and give them a heads up. Don't want tO bring the party down. Worried about the cost and if I should chip in even though I wasnt asked. Worried I was invited due to politeness. Agh. Don't know how to stop over analyzing and worrying about everything. It is exhausting. Decided I would go for part of it and drive myself so I can escape if needed.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Onelesslonley,

I can totally relate to your post. I am very shy and quiet. I don't feel comfortable in social situations or have much to offer. Know this - your post helped me tremendously. Certainly, my years of isolated drinking has only worsened my feelings of fitting in. On the bright side, I actually joined a group of AA attendees at that "meeting after the meeting" and it actually was enjoyable. I also forced myself to go to a AA 4th of July party. I did feel very uncomfortable, but everyone was very nice to me.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I'm still doing great after the 4th.

Well on the 4th I managed to run over my own bike with the car and I was freaking out over it and in the meantime the dogs and the cats all got loose. So I spent a good hour trying to track everyone down and then another two hours trying to fix my bike. I ended up having to replace the front wheel and the front brakes. But at least the frame, the gears and the back were all intact and luckily I knew how to fix it. I spent $75 on replacement parts instead of $700 on a new bike.

But after all that drama I really really wanted a beer. I keep glasses in the freezer and all I could think of was how amazing an ice cold beer would be in on of those. But I pulled through and didn't drink. Took an extra long shower, watched a movie and then went to bed.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

OLL, your posts are always thoughtful. I believe that many of us have similar feelings. I often feel like a misfit and have wondered how much of my drinking was related to that.

Please do keep posting! I suspect that much of what draws us to this thread is the feeling that we are among friends and compatriots. I find now that for some of my sobriety work I go to other threads. Some believe in AA, others RR. What matters most is what works for you! Our fellow May banditos are a very caring bunch!
Old 07-06-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrenchPink View Post
Saskia: I love it when a woman is her own handyperson! So empowering to be self-sufficient. I'm sure your carpentry looks awesome. Nice job on keeping up your sobriety.
FP. Thanks . At least I didn't drill a hole anywhere in moi! Although it was frustrating at times, it was also immensely satisfying. Things like this help me so much with sobriety because I feel stronger and capable!
Old 07-06-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hi all, had the hardest week at work and am shattered physically and mentally. Would have loved a drink tonight but went to an AA meeting instead.
I'm going to have to make some real lifestyle changes I think. This can't go on.
Love to you all xxxx
Old 07-06-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Just checking in to let you know that the ice cream last night was enough to quiet the voices and I made it through without drinking. Welcome to day 45! Woohoo!
Old 07-06-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Flicked, you are awesome for resisting the urge to drink after the cats/dogs/bike fiasco. I'd be sorely tempted.

(((Jeni))) I'm glad to hear you're thinking about ways to change your lifestyle. The kind of stress you have to deal with on a daily basis isn't good for you. You deserve to take care of yourself.

OLL, I really enjoy reading your posts. I like reading all of what my fellow Mayans are going through. To me it's all relevant, because we're in this together -- the good days, the bad days, the boring days, the exciting days. If it's happening in your life or one of my classmates' lives, I like to read about it. Sometimes you guys help me in ways that you can't imagine, and you might not even think you're saying anything profound or relevant, but it's all important to me. :ghug3

AFM, I'm fine. Feeling a little tempted tonight, but dealing with it. I would say more, but I'm being summoned by my 2-year-old to read "Do Crocodiles Moo?" again. For the 100th time today. (Spoiler: Crocodiles, in fact, do NOT moo.)
Old 07-06-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry for my sudden absence - back problems

D
Old 07-06-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
sorry for my sudden absence - back problems

D
Oh no! Are you alright?
Old 07-06-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Administrator

In a lot of pain but OK...goes with the territory Luling

D
Old 07-06-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Thank you guys for your reassurance. I really appreciate it.
Dee I'm sorry about your back. Back pain can be very debilitating and even depressing. We're all wishing you strength and a speedy recovery.
Luling, hilarious spoiler alert! I had been curious about the mooing abilities of crocodiles for some quite some time and am glad I can knock that off my list.
So day 6 in the new house and the power just went out. I could have cried until I realized it was the while neighborhood. Not sure what's up but we were watching Jericho which is kind of like a post-apocalyptic tv show from a few years ago. So of course I'm totally spooked now! Waiting for the national guard to show up. Quick someone respond so I know we're not the only survivors!