Notices

One Year and Over Club- Part 6

Old 06-28-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Cool Hot here too!

the temperature just keeps rising.

that's okay, instead of mowing the lawn, I sit down at the computer and enjoy the AC.

I've been dreaming a lot lately--new career, new house, a great future. I have no idea how I'm going to make it all happen--but the most important step is done--I'm sober and I've given it all over to my HP! Will be interesting what life has in store for me. From what I can tell--sobriety is the furthest thing from dull and boring!

Hope everyone is having a good day!
Old 06-28-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  
instant

Any day sober and kicking is a good day
Old 06-28-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Aw Geez LDT,
I keep seeing the rain split and go South and North of us. Sorry you guys are eating dust too. I was hoping it wasn't as dry further South of Alexandria. (that was for the non-Louisianians, or I would have typed Aleck and you'd know.) Heat Index was 108 today. I decided to wait until tomorrow to cut. Our real grass around the house is fine and gets watered every evening for our landscaping that is self done. No fancy timers or sprinklers, just us and a hose on the front plantings. But since it is acreage the rest is knee high in nasty Bahia. Which grows in the heat when the regular grass stops. My place would look mowed if not for that danged weed.

I am decidedly lazy right now.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Lovin what is scary is that you can actuially do all those dreams one step at a time. Why scary? Lots of us used alcohol as an excuse to procrastinate and not have to try and fail because of the booze. Or as the old saw goes "I thought I was a lazy drunk. Then I got sober and found out I was just lazy."

I think some relapses are just because folks can't get started again relearning, or learning for the first time, how to do everything over they messed up drinking. Below are some things I wrote here earlier on that topic.

You can try to channel that fear into adrenaline action and energy, or stay trembling and in fear. Funny thing is that we were worse drinking than sober and suddenly we aren't doing well enough for ourselves!

I accepted that OK it was good enough before, so good enough for now, and since I was such a critic, I could either get used to my less than stellar performances and sit on my duff, or practice and strive for better, since drinking was no longer an option by my own choice.

I have found half of what it takes to get a lot out of life is just that, getting out!

No one could help me accept that, only tell me they felt it too. Somehow, that helped me get through it. And over myself.

I think you will do everything you choose to. More importantly I think you understand that not doing some things, can be just as important.

Instant, Amen!
Old 06-28-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

I can join this thread now :-)
Old 06-28-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rossy View Post
I can join this thread now :-)
:day1
Old 06-28-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Re-Member

:day
Rossy, great job! We don't let just anybody in here. You had to pass our rigorous 365 part test.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Way to go, Rossy!!!!!!

Time to bring on the dancing bananas!

Old 06-28-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Welcome to all the new people! How awesome. I love that this thread gives people something to aspire to

Murray should be stopping in any day...he should be at 2 years. I'm 2 weeks shy of it myself.

Not much new to report, just checking in. I'm looking forward to being able to answer "a couple of years" when people ask how long it's been that I haven't drank. IRL I only know 2 people who have been sober longer than me
Old 06-29-2012, 01:13 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  
instant

Rossy well done.

LaFemme I remember when I first started I thought it was awesome to have people posting who had sometime that I could be in awe of ie 30 days to one year (You were one of my heroes.......and still are!!). Anytime longer seemed incomprehensible, or at least unfathomable. The loss of self belief that is promoted by active addiction is very powerful. The examples of others show us that it can be done. Two years is comprehensible to me now, thank you to the support of this great community.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:29 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Thanks guys I never thought I'd see 1 year but you can do anything if you want to.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:40 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats, Rossy! Welcome to "the club"

I've been battling a nasty cold the past few days. It's nearly 100 degrees outside and I've got a freakin' COLD...summer colds are the worst. Oh well, this too shall pass.

Have a great weekend all!
Old 06-29-2012, 03:30 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Welcome Rossy! Congrats!

So today is the second day of a big conference. I can't believe how sobriety has given me the ability to try and do hard things without burning out or self-sabotage.

Before Recovery, I would have been battling huge internal fights with anxiety and negative self-talk that completely consumed me, like a peat fire that can't be put out. Now, I'm doing hard things like taking career risks. One step at a time. One day at a time.

I came home from the conference yesterday and blogged about it. It's not the best blog post in the whole world but I'M OUT THERE. In the game. Trying. Playing. I was tired but I didn't go to bed until it was finished. I'm up early and I'm tired but I'm OK.

Miraculous.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:33 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

I am going to make it two years no problem
Old 06-29-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Congrats on 1 year Rossy! Awesome!

We are having our AA state convention here in Grand Rapids this weekend. I am officially geeked!

Hope you feel better soon FBL.

It is great to be sober!
Old 06-29-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEKED. I used that word before it was hip. haha. Love that word.

Happy birthday, Rossy!!! One year is great!!! =D!

Dealing with a sore throat today. Got into a radio station contest this morning. You call in and it's called "Let it go". You call in and scream as loud and long as you can. They also take into account the stories surrounding the scream too. Second time in about 14 months I've actually got in. They do it weekly. So I pulled off on the side of the road. With everything I've been going through the last month...haahahhahaaha. Oh my. That scream was AWESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOME!!!!! They were even like wow. I think we heard you throw your head back, huh. I was like, Oh. Yes. That was glorious. Rofl.

I didn't win the Buck Cherry tix, but I don't care. I have a sore throat and man. I feel a bit less stressed. Screamed for a whole 20 seconds or so, solid. :p

Hope you all have a great day!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by LotusBlossom View Post
You call in and scream as loud and long as you can.
Sounds very cathartic, like Primal Scream Therapy.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Carl! Doggone it! It is good to see your posts all over. Carl and I, for the folks that are new and don't know it, are what appear to be the only two sober survivors of the September 2010 group/thread. Doggone Carl it is good that we are both around at least.

Kablume and LB!I am geeked for both of you! (I didn't know what that was until I looked it up!)

Frances, you go girl! You sound fierce and strong to me hang in there! ( Or hangover) You'll make it and we all can say we knew you when!

LF (T), congrats in advance! As usual I am two months behind you.

R&A, great line up! I never watched them long enough to realize they do more than one move!

FBL, I don't know about where you are but it was well over 103 today and in the sun it felt like 110! Me and the pups stayed in the shade for our four or five walks on our trail here today.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:41 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

R&A, great line up! I never watched them long enough to realize they do more than one move!
Careful Itch, they're hypnotic if you watch too long, lol...

Friday night, and I have all of next week off with the kiddo. Tonight was the first in the annual series of summer concerts at our neighborhood park. The headliner was an Elvis. Flashy jumpsuit, big belt, big collar, big hair, the whole deal. My daughter was like—who is that weird guy?

I remember walking to concerts there two years ago. I'd take two or three beers in my backpack, along with sandwiches for us to eat. Lots folks drink and picnic at the concerts, so nothing unusual there. But the difference was that the moment I finished mine, I'd lose interest in the concert, tell my daughter it was time to head home, and act like it was because I wanted to make sure she got plenty of rest.

The craziest part of all: I was still buying into the theory that drinking helped me to relax and enjoy life.

I am so grateful to be able to look back at it all from this distance.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:09 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  
instant

Despite the constant experimentation trying to prove the theory there is little hard evidence to date. Unlike most research papers I do not conclude that more research is needed.