Notices

Class of April 2012 Part 2

Old 05-14-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Monday morning here in sunny South Florida. Dropping off hubby at airport. He'll be gone for 3 weeks this time. He'll be overseas but thankfully we'll get to Skype everyday.

My plan of action is to keep close to these boards, attend my face to face women's meeting once a week, stay vigilant, keep way from certain restaurants and social situations for now and avoid complacency.

Wishing all members and supporters of the April class a sober and joyful day.

Natalie
Old 05-14-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Hey Parkec, how did you go with the guitar lesson???
Suppose with all this free time and serenity its good to channel all this sober energy into things we used to enjoy doing before the drinking took over. I used to love creating 3d animations to sound bytes from t" the ten second club' Think I might take that up again and involve the kids as well.
3 weeks for me now...drinking problem? ...Meh.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Starting a brand new day. The choice is mine. I will not drink today.

I pledge to a day of sanity and reason.

Newtothis, are your digestive issues resolving on their own?

How encouraging to see us return to old habits and hobbies that once gave us a lot of pleasure. The longer I stay sober the more I realize that alcohol is a great thief, it robs us of everything we hold dear. All we have to do is lock our doors really and stop inviting this thief into our lives.

Best wishes and sobriety to all the members and supporters of this class.

Natalie
Old 05-15-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

jberk. My guitar lesson went well..now if my fingers would just cooperate!

My finger tips were still a little tender for most of today. I picked up a finger/grip exerciser on my way home today. Yes I am kind of geeky. But if you need to build finger strength and flexibility in your left hand and in my case non dominate hand - why not train it like an athlete. Ok I'm over thinking! But I do plan to do finger exercises while sitting in traffic and practice on the guitar in the evenings. Thanks for asking.

Natalie keep up the great work! We're here for you.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  
Administrator

I tried all the exercises too parkec...but the best exercise of all is playing I think...and growing a few callouses

D
Old 05-16-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  
Recovering

That's 4 weeks under the belt. Still feeling tired, but I've noticed a definite improvement in concentration these past few days.

We can do this folks.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations michael

D
Old 05-16-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Staying sober through some hard times. My 59 year old oldest brother is in intensive care with some serious respiratory problems and it looks real bad. Alcohol is not on my thoughts. I am so grateful for this. I am able to be help. I am driving my 81 yo mother to and from hospital, providing comfort, talking to doctors, employer and insurance company.

I feel I am watching a movie, it doesn't seem real. 40 plus years of smoking have finally caught up with my dear brother. He was diagnosed with emphysema 10 years ago and wasnt able to quit the damned smokes. Terrible terrible addiction.

Strength and sobriety April class. It can be done. Two weeks ago I had constant thoughts and alcohol cravings. They are now gone. Must stay vigilant and close to this board.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Natalie,

Sorry to here about your brother. I watched my mother-in-law come back from numerous infection hit spots all the while with 1/3 of her small intestines...the mri's screamed Matasstasized tumours. She recovered thanks to my wifes care, and care management. Hospitals are busy places - everone needs a care advocate/manager. Hopefully he will get well soon.
btw
I was just getting ready to post a "Natalie, Time to check in" message. Hang in there.

Last edited by parkec100; 05-16-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Iphone
Old 05-16-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Hello gang
I want you all to know even with 100 plus
Days sober , I'm searching for the reason
To be . So f@$&ing hard
As they say one day at a time
Ciao
Old 05-16-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry for your hard times Natalie and Doggy. Prayers and best wishes for both of you

Doggy the best reason for you to be sober is you...stay sober and things will surely get better, man...go back to drinking and they'll just as surely get worse.

D
Old 05-16-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Sorry also, to hear Natalie and Doggy, but Natalie I'm sure your family and yourself are grateful that you are "present" at this time of need. It wouldve been too easy to hide selfishly behind the bottle at the expense of loved ones. Good on you for being there for them.
And doggy while you still have your sobriety behind you try a different approach. So many threads on this site...RR got me beyond the one day at a time thing.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Hugs to all my April friends. I'm still here and still not drinking! Life has been overwhelmingly busy but am catching up.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:42 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Ps what sober things do all have planned for the weekend! I have a lot of good live music to look forward to!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Doggy and Natalie,

My thoughts aand prayers are with you. I relapsed after 23 days sober. To say I am disappointed is an understatement. My goal is increase my attendance at AA meetings, SR, reach out, find better coping mechanisms. Any tips on what has helped you when an intense craving hits?
Old 05-17-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Hello from paradise. Just checking in on day 23 and glad to be staying sober [AV: glad? what a bunch of crap]. My wife was out of town for a week so I had the perfect opportunity to grab a steak and a couple of bottles of red. I did get a steak, but skipped the vino and stayed strong to the cause [AV: what a wimp, that cab/shiraz blend would have tasted great, and no one would have known]. Also been spending time fixing up a car that I got cheap. Really weird to spend an afternoon wrenching on a vehicle without downing a bunch of beers [AV: wheres the bloody cooler dork]. There was a point where I was sorely tempted but let it pass [AV: there were a bunch of nice cold greenies right next to the register you idiot].

Oh, yea, I need to work on my finger callouses too. Just don't play as much as I should and certainly not very well! [AV: you never sound any good unless your hammered].

Keep up the sobriety folks. [AV: bah humbug].
Old 05-17-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Doggy your answer may lie with - why did you decide to sober up in the first place?
Old 05-17-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Tanja ,Popsicles and gummi bears
I've given up on self help books just get
Depressed. I go to a couple of AA meetings
A week. Just come out knowing I'm really
Not that bad off. The main thing is I have
Stayed on my meds, I'm afraid what I might
Do. I'm still really isolating myself .
Trying to move on I would love to find
A sober girl friend but on thing at a time
Parkec, my story goes like this,
Labor day last year quit smoking, thought what
The hell I will lay off the sauce why not
3 days later I'm driving to Cali to work stuff
Out with the wife. Next thing I remember I'm
In a hospital under a 3 day hold the doc
Asks me do you want to die? NO I don't
6 months sober and I slip crash my car with
My daughter in it arrested jail etc.
Every morning I question why I'm still sober
And or alive . Don't believe in god
I have to go to court to get my dog back
Sorry about the rant,
Nic aka Doggy. Take care everyone
Don't let me bring the group down
Old 05-17-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by jberk65 View Post
Sorry also, to hear Natalie and Doggy, but Natalie I'm sure your family and yourself are grateful that you are "present" at this time of need. It wouldve been too easy to hide selfishly behind the bottle at the expense of loved ones. Good on you for being there for them.
And doggy while you still have your sobriety behind you try a different approach. So many threads on this site...RR got me beyond the one day at a time thing.
What is RR ?
Old 05-17-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Hi Doggy. RR is Rational Recovery or Addictive Voice Recognition Therapy (AVRT). There are many threads under the secular section. Wiser heads will explain it much better than I could. Check the RR website also for a crash course.
That's worked for me way more than AA. It's basically taking the initiative on your own and quitting outright, no ifs no buts.

Jberk.