Notices

Class of April 2012 Part 2

Old 04-29-2012, 11:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of April 2012 Part 2

we continue from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2012-a-20.html

at the end of the month this will cease to be the current 'class' so I'll move the thread to the Daily Support forum - with a redirect link for a while

D
Old 04-30-2012, 01:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Just checking in . This weekend only had a few cravings - after last weekends 'fall' I decided to fill my time as much as possible , without going to the pub to meet friends, thus giving little time for my mind to wander too much.....

I realise this is an avoidance tactic but for the time being I am happy to use it!!

So day 6 and finally some sunshine here (UK) !!

Best to all
Old 04-30-2012, 04:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 6 for me too. I can feel the fog starting to lift...
Old 04-30-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day 3. I'm happy to say I did not slip again after Friday. I am back up on this wagon!
Happy Monday to all!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 15 for me,

Began my new reality this day 2 weeks ago. The time is going by so quickly. So I've got two sober weekends under my belt now and feel proud. It's getting easier for sure, but I'm hearing my AV at times. Met friends in the bar yesterday evening, had a coffee and a lemonade and I was cool with it. Mind you I only stayed 90mins. Once the conversation started getting silly I left!

Went back to my volunteering this morning (one of my dogs is a therapy dog and we make hospital visits), the first time since my mum died. Quite emotional to see people I hadn't seen since. They were very kind. I cried all the way home in the car. Anyways hope everyone in this class keeps posting once we're in the other section!!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I will definitely keep posting. day 10 today, happy to make it to double digits!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 6 for me coming to a close. Went to my third AA meeting. We were all seated around a table, so it was small and comfortable. We all introduced ourselves which was kind of nerve racking.
So when it came to my turn I said "hi my name is Jberk and I'm an alcoholic and that's the first time I've said that out loud..." Gulp... I finally said it. No one stared in disbelief, no one laughed, no one sneered they just clapped and congratulated me. That's why they have these meetings and fellowships because you don't have to battle this "thing" alone. Just wanted to share.
Have a nice and sober nite, morning or afternoon All.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think i'm gonna leave this class and join the may class tomorow,new month and new start and all that claptrap....The reason i'm doing this is that even though its only 14.15 here i have already had 3 beers,the hangover from yesterday was too much and i needed the hair of the dog....Sorry class and i wish you all well...I'm really gonna give it 100% in may......
Old 04-30-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Will keep an eye out for you on other threads stevie, don't drink too much today though - it'll only make tomorrow worse. Mind yourself.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Newatthis - Congratulations on 15 days! How wonderful that you have a service dog and can enrich others lives I have six dogs, but none of them are trained very well. Hope everyone has a happy sober Monday!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Stevie... good luck. Remember YOU CAN DO THIS. You do not have to drink.

Just found out some news on my end, we are going to a friend's house to watch the hockey game tonight. I had actually planned on staying away from this group of friends for a long while as it's usually a huge drinking scene when we go over there. But tonight there will be older adults there as well (my aunt and uncle) and we'll be eating dinner so the scene shouldn't be too much of a mess, plus everyone has to work tomorrow. I actually think it's going to be a good way to see them in a low pressure environment.

I'm just hoping that one of my friends in particular isn't going to give me a hard time about not drinking. He called me a loser one time before when I told him that there was a time in the past when I went 8 months sober. He's also been teasing our other friend a lot who's expressed a desire to stop drinking. I feel very strong right now and I know that i'm not going to succumb to peer pressure, but it could be annoying if he decides to needle me all night. We'll see how it goes.

My uncle who's going to be there is a recovering alkie as well with many years sober, so there will be at least 1 other person not drinking.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 6. Made it through my first weekend. Had a few cravings when my usual activities would have included a beer at certain points. Also when it came time for that pre-evening cocktail, or opening the first bottle of wine for the night. But I held strong.

Had my first "accidentally took a drink in a dream" on Friday night. Wow, it was super vivid. In my dream I was at a party and accidentally drank from a mixed drink, and then just picked up and opened a beer by instinct. I was part way through and realized what I was doing. Freaky dream experience. If I hadn't read about it here on SR I would have been really blindsided by that one.

Of course on Saturday there was a big going away party at a local bar (all afternoon event) and even though I knew the person and most of the people attending, I stayed busy on a project and kept my distance. Especially after the dream.

Last night I had another dream where someone pored me a glass of wine, and I refused it, twice. Obviously I'm making progress in dreamland.

Happy Monday everyone.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Tigerlili,

The lifing of the fog..beautiful.

I'm on day two. Definately feel better and think better than yesterday. But then no hangover today

I can't wait for the fog to clear..
Old 04-30-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Going strong. Very determined but can't get rid of the illusion that I could moderate. Damn... Boy this relapse was a BAD idea. Grrrr I hate 'white knuckling' this thing. I never had to before. Oh well.... I accept that this sucks today.

Best wishes and keep strong
Old 04-30-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I expect a may thread will start soon Stevie.
Glad to see all those here to see in the end of the month

D
Old 04-30-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

NatalieN We all live and learn. I have finally decided my idea of moderation was flawed. 1 beer, ok make that at 16oz beer, hey it's even cheaper in the 24oz can. Heh look buy 1 24oz get the second 50% off! Plus a roady and Wala! 1 6 pack of beer consumed in 90 minutes. then don't sleep well, feel lathargic, eye lids sticking, think in slow mo.

Time to mow the lawn. Take Care.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Into my second full week now at Day 11. Feeling tired tonight. My kids told me this evening that I'm nicer and more organised these days....
The house is tidy and dinner is on time now that my mind isn't full of thoughts about my last or next drink!

Here comes May and I'm happy to welcome it in
Old 04-30-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Lady Blaze

Today is my 22nd day clean!!! =)

YAY!!!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I poured a glass of wine and took a sip. I didn't want to drink but found myself doing it anyway. I watched in horror. I closed my eyes and asked for help. I was given just enough strength to pour out the glass and bottle in the sink. I don't know what really happened. I wasn't craving a drink. I was on autopilot. I had one sip only but somehow feel I didn't blow it. I have to amp up my support system. Going to AA meeting at lunch tomorrow since my women's meeting isn't til Thursday. Took my Big Book out of the night stand drawer and placed it next to me on my bed. I don't like the Big Book, too many god references............ Will rewrite a list of reasons why I must stop. There isn't a single reason why I should continue. This is insane.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You had the strength to realize and pour it down the sink. Thats pretty amazing. Don't look at it as failure ....look at it as a weak moment conquered!!
Thats very inspiring...keep fighting Natalie!!