Notices

Class of April 2012 Part 2

Old 05-29-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Hi All!

I hope everyone had a good weekend. Currently driving home still have 225 miles to go.

I needed to use the sobriety counter to calculate my days (real nice feeling)
32 days and 13 hrs.

If I expect to make it home, I need to quit posting and drive.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Don't text and drive!! Lol!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Hello gang:

My brother is gonna make it. His lungs have responded very well to the cocktail of antibiotics and he has been breathing on his own for the last couple of days. He is out of ICU and in a regular room awaiting transfer to a rehab facility for intensive respiratory therapy.

I am delighted that I stayed sober through it all. Funny, when my sister called with the great news about my brother I felt like celebrating with a bottle of wine. Not one desire to drink while the situation was chaotic and then BAM there is this craving. Sneaky little fu$&@.

Of course I recognized the craving as my addiction's voice and quickly dismissed it. I really have to put a handle on the nonsensical overeating that's taken the place of drinking. I ate so many salty crunchy snacks over the weekend while babysitting an army of kids that my ankles got pretty swollen.

I finally began reading Rational Recovery. I don't particularly enjoy AA bashing but think the book's alternative look at addiction will be super interesting. I like to read all points of view and different takes on addiction. I am a firm believer that what works for one problem drinker doesn't work for the next.

I am at a point in this journey where I am no longer interested in finding out if alcoholism is a real disease or a terrible habit. I have finally realized that my life is a million times better without alcohol and that drinking again would be totally insane. This is the important thing. I have acquired the direct experience needed to realize that I can't ever drink again. I cannot keep me away from driving when I drink or from going to plant nurseries to terrify the workers there haha.

I've missed the last two weekly AA women's meeting and do miss the boost offered by a bunch of ladies who share some of my difficulties in life.

Newatthis let us know how you are doing. I am glad to see everyone is doing well.

Take care.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:55 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Natalie,

Thank God - I am so happy that your brother is doing better. Not suprising that the AV spoke. That's the way most of us have learned to celebrate. Congratulations for recognizing and stopping it. I agree 100% that one size fits all is not the best approach to alcoholism and using and trying different tools is the best approach to me. I am a newcomer to AA, but there are things that irritate me about the program. The constant reference to God and to pray that will supposedly alleviate cravings. I believe in God and always have. I read a quote somewere that said "God did not give me alcoholism and he will not take it away". That resonates with me. The dogmatic, intolerant old timers that see only one way to do it and if it doesn't work - it just means you weren't trying hard enough or listening direction. Instead you are just an upstart that thinks you know it all. In spite of that, I am desperate enough to try and keep and open mind and willingness. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 05-31-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad your brother is doing better - and that you're holding strong Natalie

have a good day everyone

D
Old 05-31-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Tanja - I am also new to AA and do like the womens group that Natalie also mentioned, but I totally agree with you on the God stuff. I was also told to pray to stop cravings and that doesn't cut it with me. I travel non stop for my job and am glad I can find meetings in any city in the world to help me if I need it, but I can't do the God thing. I already have a sponsor and I plan to tell her next time I see or chat with her. Not sure what the reaction will be. Good luck.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

54 days. God has moved me 2400 miles for a clean start. I am a bit scared but so far God is faithful.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:57 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Thanks Tanja and Dee.

I agree with what has been shared concerning the religious aspect of AA. My parents are Agnostic and brought us up that way. Religion wasn't part of our upbringing and when it is forced upon me it becomes unbearably painful. It feels very foreign and unnatural. I know who to stay away from in the meetings but do see the immense importance of face to face contact with fellow alcoholics/problem drinkers. It is the most effective tool in my recovery box.
I am fortunate to live in a large metropolitan area with a very diverse population. The meetings I attend are frequented by buddhists, suffies, Christians, Jews, lots of new agers/old hippy types and lots of Agnostics and atheists. This one suffie girl leads a guided meditation meeting once a month that is very popular. You won't find any 'old-timers' or 'big book thumpers' at this meeting.

I really do take what feels good and discard the rest.

Grateful for another sober day.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Another sober day. This does get easier. If we can do our very best the first couple of weeks it truly gets easier. I hope anyone struggling keeps this in mind. It DOES get better and it is so worthy.

Bet wishes April class.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Good morning class:

My hubby returns from his 20 day overseas trip today. I am very pleased that I stayed sober throughout this trip as his not being around was always a big green light for my drinking.

Last week I ran out of checks and he asked me to look in the back of his armoire for the box of checks. There I found a very fine bottle of wine our son brought from one of his travels over two months ago. When my husband called back to see if I had found the checks he told me not to drink the wine because he was saving it for father's day. He said this 3 or 4 times as he knows red wine was my weakness. I assured him the wine was fine and that I wasn't drinking.

Who saves a bottle of wine for over two months? Not me... Was never able to do that during my relapse. No wonder he hid it all the way in the back of his armoire.

My coworker who just returned from a very fancy wedding in New York had one drink during the reception. One drink. Wow!!! So many people's thinking and relationship to alcohol isn't twisted like mine was. It never ceases to amaze me when someone can take it or leave it.

Better get some pancakes ready for my kiddo now. It's 9:30 am and she's been up since 7:00 am on a sunny south Florida saturday morning.

Sending everyone in this class my best wishes for a joyful and sober weekend.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  
Recovering

Now this just isn't fair.

I felt fantastic yesterday so went all out at the gym - for too long and with too high a heart rate. I feel dreadful today - just like a hangover, but from exercise rather than beer. That's just no fair is it!
Old 06-02-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Hello gang
120 days today
So when does it feel better
Nic
Old 06-05-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

120 Days!

Doggy I've been thinking about your question "when does it get better" my two cents will leave you quite a big short for a cup of coffee so...Maybe you ask your doctor.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

I think im 5 weeks here. Doing well. Definately thinking better. Lost some weight.

One of the beauties of having a touch of ADD is that there is just never enough time to accomplish every thing.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:51 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Feeling good, still a vague 'something is missing' feeling that I'm using chocolate to quieten (oops) at times. Stay strong Aprils.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  
Administrator

Apologies for the late reply - it's been a busy week.

I drank a long time Doggy, so it took me a while to feel like I had it all together again...what exactly do you mean by 'get better', tho?

congrats on 120 days parkec

D
Old 06-07-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Dee, no, no. I was cheering for Doggy.!

I'm only about 35-40 days sober.

But thanks .
Old 06-08-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Just checking in on Day 45. Staying strong.

I guess I never wondered so much about my casual attire until I started going to AA meetings. It was then I realized that about 90% of my t-shirts have beer or bar logos. The other day when I put on one of my old favoirites I realized that never again will I have another Painkiller at soggy dollar on JVD. Sad but true. Goodbye old friend...
Old 06-08-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  
Quitter

I'm like 7 weeks sober I guess...or close to it. Feeling good and healthier than I have in a long time. For the first time in a long time I see a decent life for myself. It's still going to take me time to get what I want, but I know I can get it. I don't think I'll be checking back in here again anytime soon, so congrats to everyone who is doing well. Keep trying everyone who is not. Good luck to everyone.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Everyone have a great sober weekend...I'm giving up my position as "relapse queen" plan on staying in April class for the duration...
4/24/12