Notices

One Year and Over Club Part 4

Old 04-17-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Itchy, I love this, thank you: "One can hope, and then go on to restore that which is restorable in my own life." I needed that today!

Manz, hope that you are having a good day. I have no idea why some people are poopy.

God rest Thomas Kinkade's soul. Addiction kills.

Off to a coffee date with a new potential client/contact!
Old 04-17-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  
Re-Member

YW Frances. Glad it struck a chord.

I had a funny thing just happen. I found that when I started posting yesterday in the newcomers section, I had some old friends here welcome me back? I realized I was rarely taking the time to post anywhere but in overs, but I guess I need to spend a bit more time in newcomers. It is no longer all about me is it?

I will be spending more time there as the newly sober and wannabe's need all the help they can get! But I will go anyway! :rotfxko
Old 04-17-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Just dropping by to say Hi! I hope everyone is having a great day....trudging the road to a happy & fulfilling recovery!
Old 04-17-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

A funny thing just happened to me now.........

A new friend(a Mum of one of Weemans school buddies) had called and left a message stupendously early this morning on my mobile. First of all she called me my ex husbands new wifes name!!!!!!!!!!! I mean HELLOOOOOOO!!!!! Then proceeded to say we probably wouldnt catch up with the kids because Weeman was not with me at the moment. Geez, do you think they have been over at Weeman's other home for a playdate???? Maybe????? DOH!

I will definately point my friend who is struggling in the right direction, and if she wants some friendly support I can do that too, and I can definately share my experience with her. But as we all know, at the end of the day, she will have to want to do the work and make the changes.

OK...off to probation services to work today, where I get handed a panic button as soon as I walk in.....then I go ahead and hide it behind my bag and forget about it. The people that I am working with are all, without fail, lovely in their own way and JUST LIKE ME!

Oh.....another funny thing about my job while I am at it. I get to work in the locked psychiatric unit at the hospital every week(awesome) and I get to bring soo much home with me afterwards........... FLEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!! FLEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yukky yuk yuk yuk. Just thinking about it makes me itch!

Have a great day all.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

(I'm sorry but, I find it amusing that Itchy says thank you about the itching post. That is all for now. I had a really crappy night tonight and am emotionally just drained. I have some digging to do at work tomorrow to find out why I have a court summons/hearing on May 2nd for my workman's comp when everything was approved. I don't want to think about it all.)

Ya'll have a nice night.

Itchy...itch. Thanks.

*giggles*
Old 04-17-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Hope everybody had a good day. Yes, Reeses are the best thing around. Manz, I hope you do get toi taste them one day.

Well off to bed. I hope I sleep better tonight then last.

Lotus, hang in there on the Workers Comp case.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

LB, I'm sorry to hear about the bad day. I hope you rebound tomorrow, and can get the comp issue sorted out without too much hassle.

Itchy, I saw you posting over there in newcomers. I'm sure your wisdom and laughter will be of enormous benefit to folks who are struggling. I really like posting over there; I find it very satisfying and meaningful.

I need some shuteye too, Akasha. Last night's concert went 'til midnight. M. Ward gave my ears a gift they will not soon forget. He is an incredible guitarist. I mean, amazing. Un. Believe. Able.

If anyone has trouble sleeping tonight, or just wants to unwind, check out this hypnotic M. Ward video I just posted on my December class thread. It's one of the mellower tunes from his new album, and is animated by the same folks who did the "Chinese Translation" video I posted a while back (in fact some of the characters make a return visit in this one).

Old 04-17-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a nice song R&A...cool video too - I shall explore this M. Ward a little more

D
Old 04-18-2012, 01:05 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Nice song R&A

Lotus....hope you feel better soon and sort the comp easily.

Akasha........I will have to order me some reeses one day soon. Or just pop on over stateside for a holiday!

Siiiiiiiiigh is how I am feeling at the end of this day. I almost ran over a young boy today, he ran out FAST from behind a car.......gave me the fright of my life! Then later I almost got run in to by a truck that pulled out from beside another truck without checking if anyone was coming. Gee I am glad that I have a strong heart...and bladder for that matter

Today is my most favourite day of the week despite this.........because my Weeman comes home on a Wednesday. The huge smile on his face when he sees me as his Dad drives him up the drive just lights up my life!
Old 04-18-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

thats an aweful feelng manz

i cringe when i see a squirrel on the side of the road
Old 04-18-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Hugs and vibes to you LB!

Manz, WHEW! And YAY for Weeman's smile and the big hug he'll give you. Fleas? FLEAS? Is that was made Weeman spotty a few weeks back? *can't remember* I had fleas once at summer camp and it was terrible. Hope you come home without little hitchhikers.

R&A, thanks for the song!

Itchy, I agree about you posting in Newcomers as a WONDERFUL service to all of us.

Hope you slept great Akasha.

Hi Bryan LDT, LaFemme, Kablume, Newby, and RZ! And everyone I missed.

Feeling good today. Hope you all do too!
Old 04-18-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Hope everybody is doing good. It is a rainy gloomy day here. Nothing a Dew and Reeses cup can't cure though.

Manz, yes order some! It is one addiction I refused to give up.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

doing good here

who's got it better then me
Old 04-18-2012, 09:46 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

You know how it's an SR tradition to hold people accountable by quoting their past posts?

would like to try a reeses, one day.
You said that to me on the Undies thread back in December, Manz. Don't make the mistake of waiting for one day, because one day may never come. You can do this, I promise you. But it takes commitment. You need to find a program and work it. For me, it's a drive to nearest grocery or 7-11. For you, it might be the internet. There are many paths to Reeses, Manz. Just keep trying until you find the right one.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:00 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Wow.... I did say that R&A, whats bad though is I forgot what a reeses was!!! lol

I am hoping that someone(a person I know in real life) will personally deliver some to me one day......that may be a hope in the breeze.....but without hope what is there?

Today was my day off from work, but.............. 3 loads of washing, mowing lawns, weeding gardens, tutoring literacy, cleaning house, delivering parcels, cleaned inside of car....this did not feel like a day off. BUT.......I also played with Weeman as he is on school holidays, had coffee with a friend, visited another friend so Weeman could have a playdate and spent time colouring. Not all work! Off to finish cooking the amazing dinner I have planned for Weeman & I(amazing because it has veges in it from my own garden) and then we will sit down and watch a film. Probably Cars2.

Have a wonderful day Overs.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:13 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  
LDT

And for me, R&A, the "path to Reeses" goes directly from my bedroom, straight to my kitchen pantry, sometimes detouring through the dining room.

Manz....dinner from my own garden is my current challenge and ultimate goal. I bow to you, as I feel like an incompetent most of the time. I even bougt a book called, "Gardening for Dummies".... however, my zuccini does look decent, I have to say.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:50 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Oh I love courgette(zuchini) and that was one of the veges in my dinner. Weeman loves to help with the vege garden, and thinks its great when we eat them too!!

I am feeling the need of some chocolaty goodness now............lucky there is none in the house.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:56 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  
LDT

Then my "courgette" is huge this morning. Can't wait to make courgette bread! I might even throw some Reeses in
Old 04-19-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 499 (permalink)  

Morning all overs! Last night before bed I had a handful of mini Reeses! Yep, I have them daily.

This evening I have a MRI schedule. I've been having shoulder pain for awhile now. The follow-up appt for the results is next Wednesday. They are looking for a torn rotator cuff. Pain management for addicts is the worse.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 500 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

Akasha, I can definitely sympathize on the pain management for recovering addicts. I had to grit my teeth through some absolutely amazing mind blowing, eye watering, starry eye producing pain last year (mind you newly sober too...quite the combo - but I know I've talked about it before). My doctor was like ya...you can go jump off a cliff if you think I'm going to prescribe you narcotics. Little did he know I was about to go jump off a cliff. After they got my diagnosis figured out, he did feel a little bad though. A nickname for what I was diagnosed with is "The Suicide Disease" because a lot of times it takes so long for a diagnosis (*raises hand*) and the pain is...ugh.

Anyways, if you do end up having something where you need longer term pain management, please do go to a pain management clinic if your insurance covers it. They will be able to get you non-narcotic pain relievers and can better work around your past addiction with ways they will be comfortable with. They see addicts all the time. It's not their first rodeo. They know the difference between someone genuinely in pain and looking for help versus someone jonesin' for a fix.

I hope your MRI shows negative...but I do hope they figure out what is causing your pain and you can get it fixed ASAP.

Hope everyone else is having a good day.

I had (yet another) really great experience last night.

Yesterday I went in to have a lighthearted talk with a co-worker about a boob-off competition I am in (do...not ask). It ended up being an hour long discussion about his sister-in-law and the abuse they are going through with her husband. It's pretty severe. The children are shirking away from my co-worker's speaking voice, when he enters the room, etc. and he's their uncle. His sister in law left the husband again (second time) and got a restraining order (again second time). The entire family is sleeping with guns because he threatened them all. Anyways, with my past family abuse experiences, I gave him some advice/suggestions/directions on where to go, who for her to talk to, who for HIS family to talk to, how to possibly help the children (since I had been in that situation myself as a child who was severely abused), etc.

Last night I got the following text around 8pm from him.

"Lex. Thanks for talking with me. The timing, perfect. Your story, your opinion, and moreover; you! are greatly valued."

We talked for another hour and a half this morning as well on things and I confided in him a lot including my drinking, getting sober, etc. and we went back and forth on a lot of stuff. He cried some too. It was all really touching.

Mike was right. Maybe I did go through all of that pain and abuse in the past in order to come out stronger on the other side...so I can help people that I never even knew were going through things. If I was drinking...I never would have even taken the time to talk to him. I never would have known his hurt, his pain, his plight, his family's predicament. I would have only cared about me, myself, my next drink. No one else.

It's simply amazing once you take the blinders off.