Administrator

Class of September 2011 Part 2

continues from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2011-a-21.html

Keep up the good work guys

D
Old 09-29-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fallingwater: when I husband I and I first began dating 8 years ago I started to crochet a scarf for him. I began in september and planned to give it to him for Christmas. When I was nearly done he saw it and said he would like it wider, then longer...long story short I still haven't finished it. It has become a sort of relationship fetish. At this point he would be appalled if I actually finished it and presented it to him. By the time we are in our dotage it will be 30ft long (it is already 2.5 feet wide!) but that's o.k. I have made many many scarves in the intervening years, but I still pick it out of the basket every once in awhile and do a row or two.

Husband got off work early today so I am off for some quality time. Night all.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
Ok. We have three sunshines our class. Chaotic,Sally and I. There must be some coincidental significance. I LOVE IT.

Posted by chaoticsunshine:

DITTO!

Posted by me:

Double ditto!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by juststopit View Post
Fallingwater: when I husband I and I first began dating 8 years ago I started to crochet a scarf for him. I began in september and planned to give it to him for Christmas. When I was nearly done he saw it and said he would like it wider, then longer...long story short I still haven't finished it. It has become a sort of relationship fetish. At this point he would be appalled if I actually finished it and presented it to him. By the time we are in our dotage it will be 30ft long (it is already 2.5 feet wide!) but that's o.k. I have made many many scarves in the intervening years, but I still pick it out of the basket every once in awhile and do a row or two.

Cute story! Have a great night and wishing you good success with your job search.
I crocheted an afghan years ago, started with a tight stitch, then a looser stitch, not paying attention. What shoulda been a rectangle shaped up to a trapezoid! Doing something creative is a great idea, though. Stress relieving (well, usually...)
Old 09-29-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cute story! Have a great night and wishing fallingwater good success with the job search.
I crocheted an afghan years ago, started with a tight stitch, then a looser stitch, not paying attention. What shoulda been a rectangle shaped up to a trapezoid! Doing something creative is a great idea, though. Stress relieving (well, usually...)
Old 09-29-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oorwillie, you've done so great, hope your weekend goes well.
The other 2 Sunshines--way to go, too!
So many are doing well here. Prayers for all in our struggles and joys.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Trying to quiet the voices, but they are very loud and persistant today for some reason. I did make it to a meeting at lunch. Still, the craving is there. Day 8 is more than halfway over. That IS something.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 1 yet again. I am beyond sick and tired of alcohol. I feel horrible every morning. I can't remember the last time I woke up and didn''t feel exhausted, dehydrated, and headachey.

I don't need to list all the reasons I need to quit. I've said them all here before.

I think the main thing that draws me to alcohol despite ALL those reasons not to drink, is anxiety.

When sober, I get intense anxiety. I get dizzy, my chest and back muscles get stiff. My stomach flutters. And I know that a little drink would put a stop to all of it.

Well, let's try this again....
Old 09-29-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on day 8 alaska.
Welcome back IrishEyes

I got sick of just trying...trying would only ever get me so far. Support and tryiong new things helped me a lot.

The trick for me was adding more and more 'tools'

Everyone can beat this - it's just up to us to decide how far we're prepared to go, I think?

D
Old 09-29-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine View Post
Trying to quiet the voices, but they are very loud and persistant today for some reason. I did make it to a meeting at lunch. Still, the craving is there. Day 8 is more than halfway over. That IS something.
Oh hey, fellow sunshine!

I totally relate to this! I haven't had an alcohol craving in a few weeks, and I think today is Day 17 or 16. Annnyway, I found myself today REALLY wanting something to drink. I had to force myself to sit down and write out my feelings, and I realized that what I wanted was a sense of normalcy like most people my age (mid 20's), not to get drunk.

I want to be able to relax and mess around with a few beers. Before I started drinking to get drunk, I did genuinely enjoy the taste of certain beers. I have to remember that there was life before I discovered alcohol, and that I would have to create a new normal.

I had to think about all the threads I've read about people who've abstained for 6 months then jumped back in with two feet because they thought they could moderate. I don't know if I can moderate (I know of a few people who drank like I did, but have eased into a life of moderation - or well from what I see. You never know what goes on behind closed doors), but I know that if I try it's too risky.

My head was swimming today! I made sure to spend the majority of my day with my mother who has no clue that I ever drank, so I couldn't even go down the alcohol aisle of the grocery store, let alone buy anything. I also only took a wallet with me so that I couldn't hide alcohol in a bag or anything. Once I get past about 6 or 7pm, there's no way to go out of the house and get anything without looking suspicious, so I know for sure that I'm locked in for the night, alcohol wise. I literally was counting the minutes until 6pm today so that I couldn't break my sobriety promise to myself.

Ugh! What's going on in my brain???
Old 09-29-2011, 07:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dee74 View Post
everyone can beat this - it's just up to us to decide how far we're prepared to go, i think?

D
thank you for this!
Old 09-29-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 14

I haven't posted here much, but I read all of your comments and I feel for everyone who has the same struggles as I do.

I'm on day 14, but the last few days have probably been the worst since I stopped. Oddly though, even though every day during this time I tell myself it's over, I'm going to drink today, I don't. I'm so scared of going back to the anxiety, the shame, the remorse.

However, not sure how long that will continue, but so far the one day at a time approach, I guess, is working.
My anxiety, which initially got much better, was through the roof the last 2 days. I had a panic attack yesterday. Not good, and not sure why it's coming back with such a vengeance.
Any help explaining would be appreciated.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think if you've drunk for a while, dealing with life sober is always doing to cause some initial anxiety - but if I knew exactly why anxiety comes and goes, I'd make a million

Have you thought about seeing a Dr or even just finding more support for your recovery?
One day at a time doesn't really mean we have to grit our teeth and drag ourselves through each day.

Maybe some more support might help lighten your load?

D
Old 09-29-2011, 11:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ok so yesterday was booze free so that makes today day 5 for me....yesterday was very tough and i wanted a drink so bad i really dont know how i made it through the day...Today will also be very hard as today is pay day and i always slip up on this day,lets just hope today i dont.....Thanks guys...
Old 09-29-2011, 11:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Ok so yesterday was booze free so that makes today day 5 for me....yesterday was very tough and i wanted a drink so bad i really dont know how i made it through the day...Today will also be very hard as today is pay day and i always slip up on this day,lets just hope today i dont.....Thanks guys...
Hey Steve, thats super news and please keep it up, Monday will be over 1 week if you dont pick up. Be strong bud.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 16 nearly over. Had dinner with ABFs parents last night and they all got pretty wasted. It wasn't even tempting to have a drink and join them. I was up bright and early while ABF slept off his hangover all day. Sigh.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Way to go Tiger!

I don't know why it happened but despite everything I have written here and how much I want to stop drinking I was so sorely tempted last night. Hot evening, thirsty... wifey says:

"Do you want anything from the shop love?"

Taking time to reflect on the pros and cons helps a lot.

Pros for not drinking:

A: My skin is clearing up. (I have psoriasis and it's clearing).
B: My face is not so blotchy with angry red veins.
C: I notice the weight is dropping off.
D: I'm starting to take an interest in the kids.
E: I'm much more organised. Even manicuring my nails.
F: Starting to think about getting new clothes and looking smarter.
G: Started setting some new life goals.
H: Blood pressure is returning to normal.
I: Bank account is off life support.
J: Started sleeping better.
K: Getting up earlier.
L: Every morning waking up sober is a joy thinking of what the alternative would be.
M: Ironed a T-shirt for the first time in years to bike to work.

Pros for drinking:

A: Can get out of my mind and do ridiculously stooopid things.
B: Hmmm... can't think of anything else?

"Umm no I don't want anything thanks".

Actually LOOKING FORWARD to the weekend so I can go and do things!

Last edited by kopfan; 09-30-2011 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Tshirt thing
Old 09-30-2011, 04:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

kopfan: terrific job my friend! I am so lucky that my husband has decided to stop drinking too. We used to just set each other up to fail (we would say we were going to "take a break" from drinking...usually because we were hungover and feeling lousy...and then one of us would just come home with drinks.). Now I feel like we are both so glad not to be drinking, and neither of us wants to be the jerk who ruins it for the other. I am not sure what changed, but an grateful nonetheless.

I have a question for you all. I have been thinking about why I drank. I have alcoholism on both sides of the family so there is that. But I never picked up a drink with the intention of getting drunk. That isn't to say that I wasn't aware that I likely would get drunk. Rather, I don't believe I ever drank as an escape, or to drown my problems. I drank because beer tasted good, and one or two beers in the evening on the back porch or out with friends was nice. But then after two beers I couldn't stop. So my question is, am I deluding myself? Is it possible to be an alcoholic but not have other emotional baggage? I feel like the depression and anxiety I experience are the result not the cause of my drinking.

Have great days everyone....looking forward to a beautiful, sober, fall weekend!
Old 09-30-2011, 05:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

we would say we were going to "take a break" from drinking...usually because we were hungover and feeling lousy...and then one of us would just come home with drinks.
Yes that's it exactly. Don't know how many times we said we'd stick to drinking at weekends or only when we went out but it never stuck and always one of us would come home with the bacon. Er Beer.

Wifey is going to collect a prescription for champix tonight which she used last year to give up smoking.

A side effect was that she also stopped wanting to drink so hopefully my chances of recovery will be much greater if she stops as well.

Have a great weekend everyone and Stevie - Lay off that beer this weekend

Have a good time everyone.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Im almost at a week sober and dreading the weekend, its always a difficult one, not at work and hubby drinking all day