Notices

Class of January 2012 Part 4

Old 02-17-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Group Hug!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
So it goes

We are doing well all 3 sober weekends here and 3 sober weeks, just been away on holiday, and all my triggers were there big time (delays cancellations security at airports), but amidst it all I did not feel the need to grab the bottle, I just felt the need to get everyone to the next destination in one piece, with me at peace with myself.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

So tired in the morning lately... maybe it's due to my increase of caffine since I stopped drinking. I feel so sluggish until my first cup of whateveritis... Hope all of you are doing well. I'm glad I will be working through the weekend, which is great, I'm trying to save up $ to get myself a new vehicle. Have a fabulous weekend all
Old 02-17-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Resident

Good afternoon

I was bored yesterday and briefly thought it might be nice to hang out with my drinking buddies but quickly dismissed it and just sat around bored. I really need to start working on figuring out what the hey I am going to do with my time.

Everyone here needs to step up the pace and make more and longer posts to entertain ME until I do. I also expect all the shy members and the lurkers to post more too to also entertain ME in what were my drinking hours. Tell us about your day, your weekend plans, vacations, work, etc, etc. Keep in mind that it is all about ME ME ME. :rotfxko
Just kidding about the last part but posting is a good tool to keep on the straight and narrow. Accountability, connection, and that type of thing.

On the subject of telling people you are not drinking. I just say I am on the wagon. Nobody really cares much one way or the other because for them it is all about THEM.

Katrinka, in a weird way you are lucky to be able to tell the truth and say it is because of doctor's orders because it is. Your liver is likely to repair itself with time.
As far as the weight issue feel free to join is in the kicking asphalt thread under the fitness section. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-10-a.html I have to add that a fitness regime is a big tool in my sober belt. Vanity prevails.

Dazee I am in the same boat about free time planning. Keep the planning up and it will get to where you are planning things that drinking will only get in the way of.

I kept myself busy today in my dangerous time slot by yakadoodling here'
A yakadoodle is a wackadoodle or wacko that talks or yaks too much. I am sure we all know one or two of those.

Have a great day.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hey Fubarcdn - I'm a newbie to the site and don't necessarily have anything original to say, but it sounds to me like you could benefit from finding something you can really get passionate about... ideally something that is relaxing and can be as time consuming as you allow it be. I've got 3 kids under the age of 5 and am extremely busy with work right now, but whenever things slow down a bit, I've really taken to cycling. Great exercise, takes longer than jogging, and can be competitive or leisurely. There are days where I really look forward to riding and days where it's tougher to drag myself out there, but I always feel good about it after I've gone for a long ride. I'm an AM rider, so it also motivates me to go to bed earlier and avoid those late-night hours when temptations seem the strongest for me. I'm considering training for a few events this summer, just so I have something longer-term to work toward. If work is your passion, then enrolling in a class or something can be a good time-filler too...as long as its something you enjoy and isn't a major source of stress.

Can really be anything you enjoy...just find that thing or things that really peak your interest, and then dive into it/them as much as you can. May not take your mind off the temptations entirely, but at least it's something else competing for your mind's attention. You may already have something like that in your life... just tossing out ideas of what's worked well for me. Stay strong and best of luck! There are plenty of us out here who can relate, and will support you however we can!
Old 02-17-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Meow

Wildcat, Overland Park is a place I have actually been to. It makes me smile to see that as your location.

Fubar, go into the arcade and see if you can beat my sodoku score. :P Or join me in the interactive word game threads. I am playing by myself in a lot of them.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Fubarcdn - Have you read 'A Game of Thrones'?
There are seven books out and an 8th to be released some time in the future.
All of them are thousands of pages and very addicting. That should fill up some of your time! Beleive me, it's a total distraction. The only con, is that the books are a bit too heavy for me, so I read at the kitchen table. LOL

Wildcat / Fubarcdn - Cycling is great fun, and I even got a few of my friends to take leisurely rides with me Although going home is never leisurely as I live atop the biggest hill in San Francisco.
... Also, it's great for the booty!!!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thought of volunteering somewhere in your community Fube? - I didn't think it would be my thing, but I really got a lot of it - and I hope other people did too lol.

Have a great weekend everyone

D
Old 02-17-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Fubardcn,

Your post made me laugh (ME, ME, ME). My first laugh of the day and I really enjoyed it I hope to do some type of volunteer work (as Dee suggested) when I get more sobriety under my belt. Day 25 for me. Wishing everyone a happy, sober Friday!
Old 02-17-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Fubarcdn, You are absolutely right about my liver disease being a good thing!! Even though I quit drinking before I saw the liver doc, having him tell me not to drink really forced me to take abstinence seriously which, in turn, made me realize I was headed toward a serious drinking problem. So, thank you, God, for giving me liver disease, tough love for sure.

And I will check out the fitness threads, thanks so much.

Today is day 47 and I had serious cravings. They must be psychological by now. Today is Friday (my fav drinking day) and I'm on vacation next week so my evil enemy brain says I should be relaxing and celebrating with lots of wine. Sigh, boo hoo, poor me. I ate dinner and I feel a little better. I'm determined to have a healthy week. I have so much I need and want to do including taking a long walk every day.

I'm so inspired by my classmates success, big group hug indeed!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Meow

I have a skating competition tomorrow. Four events, and my first one is at 9:30.

I remember last year trying to make sure I didn't drink more than 6 or 7 beers so I wouldn't have a hangover. It's a pain to skate hung over. No worries about that this year!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
So it goes

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post
Good afternoon

Everyone here needs to step up the pace and make more and longer posts to entertain ME until I do. I also expect all the shy members and the lurkers to post more too to also entertain ME in what were my drinking hours. Tell us about your day, your weekend plans, vacations, work, etc, etc. Keep in mind that it is all about ME ME ME. :rotfxko

Have a great day.
Finding things to fill your day is a great help. I love walking in the hills, swimming and reading. Oddly enough the one think I cant do is sit and watch the television. It used to be a trigger for me, sit with the telly and a bottle of wine, wake with wine over shirt at 3am.

Will get back to that in time, although with all the Reality shows on the gogglebox at present, I dont think I am missing anything, and the radio is far more entertaining. I have an internet radio, so if any of you guys can suggest your favourite programme and how I can find it, that would be great.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
So it goes

Originally Posted by PurpleCat View Post
I have a skating competition tomorrow. Four events, and my first one is at 9:30.

I remember last year trying to make sure I didn't drink more than 6 or 7 beers so I wouldn't have a hangover. It's a pain to skate hung over. No worries about that this year!
Good luck with that purplecat, tell us how you do, should we come and cheer wearing "Go Purple" T Shirts
Old 02-18-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Resident

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I find things to fill most of the time. My daily exercise program consumes about 6 hours a day so I am looking for activities that are more of an intellectual nature than a sports or physical nature as I already get enough of that.
My lovely wife who is predominately a non drinker has just retired so I am hoping that as soon as she gets bored too we will find things to do together.
We have some travel planned already.
She likes to read a lot and I absolutely hate reading so I am hoping that she doesn't want that to be the activity that replaces her work.
I am toying with learning another language, maybe Spanish, but I am not into something that is a commitment.
I am sure things will fall out as they should. They always do.
It is a great snowy day here today so I will be out enjoying walking in the snow' I love the smell of the air after it snows and takes all the smog out of it.
We are looking to move out of the city so buying a house, packing, moving, and decorating will take up a lot of time.
Thinking about all these things that need to be done is making me tired. I need a nap.
As you can see procrastinator is my middle name.

Have a good day, especially those that have snow. It makes everything look so fresh. Unless you have to shovel it or drive in it and then it sucks'
Old 02-18-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Resident

Good luck in the competition Cat. Bring home the gold.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dazee View Post
Uggh. I woke up 30 minutes ago from a very vivid drinking dream. I could tell you exactly what I was drinking. I know it is just a dream but it's very disturbing. I had cravings last night and was anxious about the weekend.

This is very hard. When I try to plan out my weekend to avoid drinking, thoughts about drinking increase. If I don't plan I may be vulnerable to getting lonely or depressed and drinking. I don't have many friends, so my options for socializing are very limited.

I'm worried....
Hi Dazee, I'd say you should be worried if you didn't have the cravings. I'm on day 41 and feel great but Friday nights are still strange because that was my treat for a hard week. Now my treat is no hangover! God bless and hang in there!!
Old 02-18-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Day 23 tomorrow but today was hard going. I am sure that there were at least 40 hours in the day if not 48?
Hit the tomato juice with added extras ~ ice and Lea & Perrins , delicious.
Before that it was bitter lemon, guess they will curdle together now?!!
Well done everyone!!
Old 02-18-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
God's work in progress

Hi All! It's really nice to see everyone opening up and sharing, I feel almost like I know alot of you although we've never met.
Fubar, especially enjoyed your post asking us to entertain you. Too funny!! At this point, I know for myself, it really is about ME, ME, ME, and I think that's a good thing. I have been spending alot of time thinking about myself, how I've neglected myself in so many ways during my drinking career, and how I need to be kind to myself in order to remain sober. I have become very introspective, and in some ways even anti-social, but I feel I need to be alone right now in order to heal. Does anyone else feel this way?
That's all I've got for now, planning on turning in early tonight.
Awesome job, everyone! Let's continue to inspire and amaze each other!!
Old 02-18-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I agree, faceitandfixit, it's important to be good to yourself. I decided it was going to all about me, me, me, also even if it's only in my own mind. I have spent a lot of time analyzing myself and trying to figure out why I have such a problem with moderation. And I need to stop being the rock of the family. My family admires me for this, I know, but it's not healthy. I've always thought this kind of introspection was so self-involved, but now I see the benefits. so, yes! ME ME ME!!

Day 48 here and I'm doing well. Yesterday afternoon was tough but I felt pretty good when I woke up this morning rested and serene.

I love reading all your updates, thanks so much for the inspiration.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I consider it a good selfishness. Years of chasing my tail trying to make (and keep) everyone happy greatly contributed to my drinking. I'm learning how to pass and say no when things don't fit into my plans or even my day and it's working just fine so far. Keep up the amazing work, friends - you all make me so proud to be a member of this class!!