Administrator

Codependency and Beyond Part 22

we continue from our last part here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-21-a-20.html

D
Old 12-03-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ty D

Just need to share right now that I have been doing some personal codie/adult child work on myself just now. I have just spent 15 minutes or so on a bit of an exercise from a book. Something about from deprived to deserving.

I feel a strong wish to share my progress with other people.

I am grateful for this forum, and for my recovery partners here [Lisa, Amy, Rita, Chino, Frances] that I am able to so do

done
Old 12-03-2011, 09:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
mergirl

I got to be such agrown up today, my recovery shining, but it was taxing. Today was MW grandson's first birthday party, his ex asked that I not be invited. He offered to stay a short time and then go do something fun with me, I insisted he stay and enjoy his family and friends.

I took myself to a movie solo, I think for the first time in my life. Descendants is good, but a tear jerker, so I got a good cry in which I needed.

Then I went to a meeting, stayed to help start a fellowship event, and finally met back up with MW for ice cream 8 hrs later.

I briefly missed being the girl who could have pity parties, or insist on his attention, or could be flaming mad, but I am proud of the woman who allowed this day to happen the way it did, and kept in mind that it was really only just one day.

Tomorrow he and I are attending an AA Christmas party, where I earned my seat =)
Old 12-04-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((Kevin))) - it's good to see you back and hear of your progress.

(((Lisa))) - YAY you on your recovery!! I know the b'day party was a big deal, but you handled it with grace and dignity.

I've been having trouble sleeping for a while (out of sleep meds) and finally got to sleep in the wee hours of this morning. Woke up to dad snapping at stepmom, got dressed and got out of the house for a little bit. Am staying dressed, in case I need to get out again..will go to the park.

It's not that bad, I'm just tired of the yelling, snapping, irritability etc. I know why dad is on edge (tired, money concerns, holiday) but I don't have to let his, or anyone else's moods affect me.

Am about to start working, again, on the 4th paper. Though they won't all be done today, as I had hoped, I've made good headway and have until next Sunday to turn them in (actually, have a few extra days in one class).

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-04-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
mergirl

Sunday, December 4, 2011
You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go
Letting Go

"How much do we need to let go of?" a friend asked one day.

"I'm not certain," I replied, "but maybe everything."

Letting go is a spiritual, emotional, mental, and physical process, a sometimes mysterious metaphysical process of releasing to God and the Universe that which we are clinging to so tightly.

We let go of our grasp on people, outcomes, ideas, feelings, wants, needs, desires - everything. We let go of trying to control our progress in recovery. Yes, it's important to acknowledge and accept what we want and what we want to happen. But it's equally important to follow through by letting go.

Letting go is the action part of faith. It is a behavior that gives God and the Universe permission to send us what we're meant to have.

Letting go means we acknowledge that hanging on so tightly isn't helping to solve the problem, change the person, or get the outcome we desire. It isn't helping us. In fact, we learn that hanging on often blocks us from getting what we want and need.

Who are we to say that things aren't happening exactly as they need to happen?

There is magic in letting go. Sometimes we get what we want soon after we let go. Sometimes it takes longer. Sometimes the specific outcome we desire doesn't happen. Something better does.

Letting go sets us free and connects us to our Source.

Letting go creates the optimum environment for the best possible outcomes and solutions.

Today, I will relax. I will let go of that which is upsetting me the most. I will trust that by letting go, I have started the wheels in motion for things to work out in the best possible way
Old 12-04-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Chino, Fran

Lisa I enjoy a good cry from time to time

Amy I dont sleep good always. So i can relate.

Im struggling a bit today again....
Old 12-04-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A good cry? I've been watching the Hallmark channel nonstop, taking full advantage of the opportunity to get my endorphin's rolling
Old 12-04-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((Chino))) - I did the opposite - watched a funny movie that made me laugh..something I haven't done in a while

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-05-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
mergirl

Monday, December 5, 2011
Difficult People

Few things can make us feel crazier than expecting something from someone who has nothing to give. Few things can frustrate us more than trying to make a person someone he or she isn't; we feel crazy when we try to pretend that person is someone he or she is not. We may have spent years negotiating with reality concerning particular people from our past and our present. We may have spent years trying to get someone to love us in a certain way, when that person cannot or will not.

It is time to let it go. It is time to let him or her go. That doesn't mean we can't love that person anymore. It means that we will feel the immense relief that comes when we stop denying reality and begin accepting. We release that person to be who he or she actually is. We stop trying to make that person be someone he or she is not. We deal with our feelings and walk away from the destructive system.

We learn to love and care differently in a way that takes reality into account.

We enter into a relationship with that person on new terms - taking our needs and ourselves into account. If a person is addicted to alcohol, other drugs, misery, or other people, we let go of his or her addiction; we take our hands off it. We give his or her life back. And we, in the process, are given our life and freedom in return.

We stop letting what we are not getting from that person control us. We take responsibility for our life. We go ahead with the process of loving and taking care of ourselves.

We decide how we want to interact with that person, taking reality and our own best interests into account. We get angry, we feel hurt, but we land in a place of forgiveness. We set him or her free, and we become set free from bondage.

This is the heart of detaching in love.

Today, I will work at detaching in love from troublesome people in my life. I will strive to accept reality in my relationships. I will give myself permission to take care of myself in my relationships, with emotional, physical, mental, and spiritual freedom for both people as my goal.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Chino not sure ive EVER watched hallmark ... hm

Amy comedy yes though

Lisa, Rita

Happier today. Did a new plan of how i will pay for christmas from a financial point of view. That will ease the burden

Rock on and Ty x
Old 12-07-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
mergirl

Wednesday, December 7, 2011
When the Time is Right

There are times when we simply do not know what to do, or where to go, next. Sometimes these periods are brief, sometimes lingering.

We can get through these times. We can rely on our program and the disciplines of recovery. We can cope by using our faith, other people, and our resources.

Accept uncertainty. We do not always have to know what to do or where to go next. We do not always have clear direction. Refusing to accept the inaction and limbo makes things worse.

It is okay to temporarily be without direction. Say, "I don't know," and be comfortable with that. We do not have to try to force wisdom, knowledge, or clarity when there is none.

While waiting for direction, we do not have to put our life on hold. Let go of anxiety and enjoy life. Relax. Do something fun. Enjoy the love and beauty in your life. Accomplish small tasks. They may have nothing to do with solving the problem, or finding direction, but this is what we can do in the interim.

Clarity will come. The next step will present itself. Indecision, inactivity, and lack of direction will not last forever.

Today, I will accept my circumstances even if I lack direction and insight. I will remember to do things that make myself and others feel good during those times. I will trust that clarity will come of its own accord.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

(((Lisa))) - thanks for the reading. I'm definitely in a period of uncertainty. Am working on the last week's assignments for school, doing my stores when I can, but aware that any day I may get the call that says "job is done".

Today, I scrounged enough money to put gas in my car and get a few necessities from the store. Tomorrow? Don't know, but trying not to stress about it. Am planning on getting through with this semester, have a marathon session of sending out resume's and applying for jobs (NOT in the restaurant biz, if I can help it), and having faith that it will all work out.

On a good note, everything is relatively peaceful at home, and we are all getting along. Stepmom and the brat have been decorating for Christmas and it's really nice. Heard the brat just cracking up laughing at something on TV, last night, and it was really nice to hear that. It's nice to know that no matter how angry and frustrated we get with each other, we can get past it.

For today, life is good, struggles and all

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-08-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Hello my friends

Like everyone it's a busy time ~ but I have good news to share - Had meeting yesterday for work - it's official - they have finished the reorganization plan! No raises for us again - this is 3 yrs in row but I still have a job and I don't have to move to a different location!!!

So I'm very grateful! Thanks for the prayers & support!

No news on Ash or Mikie (kaileigh's dad) ~ heartbreaking on both cases

PINK Acres is decorated for Christmas with a PINK Tree, Pink reindeer and Christmas lights hanging from the wall in Kaileigh's room ~ she's excited as can be!

She's writing Christmas cards for all her family ~ she even wrote one for her Dad - said to me "ReeRee I guess I'll just mail Daddy's to him" reality hits kids of addicts fast - she's already preparing to NOT see him for Christmas; since she didn't see him for Thanksgiving. Healthy but yet a little sad too.

It's PINK day at her school today & for the Basketball game tonite (raising money for Breast Cancer) so she & our oldest granddaughter were decked out in PINK today ~ with smiles & happy faces ~ How Pinktastic!

It's a beautiful day - even with the struggles, sadness, heartbreaks and bumpy roads ~ life is a blessing. . .

PINK HUGS my wonderful friends!
Rita
Old 12-08-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
mergirl

Thursday, December 8, 2011
Valuing Our Needs

When we don't ask for what we want and need, we discount ourselves. We deserve better.

Maybe others taught us it wasn't polite or appropriate to speak up for ourselves. The truth is, if we don't, our unmet wants and needs may ultimately come back to haunt our relationships. We may end up feeling angry or resentful, or we may begin to punish someone else for not guessing what we need. We may end the relationship because it doesn't meet our needs.

Intimacy and closeness are only possible in a relationship when both people can say what they want and need. Sustained intimacy demands this.

Sometimes, we may even have to demand what we want. That's called setting a boundary. We do this not to control another person, but to gain control of our life.

Our attitude toward our needs is important too. We must value them and take them seriously if we expect others to take us seriously. When we begin to place value and importance on our needs we'll see a remarkable change. Our wants and needs will begin to get met.

Today, I will respect the wants and needs of others and myself. I will tell others, my Higher Power, and myself what I want and need. I will listen to what they want and need too
Old 12-08-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just saying hi and that I am thinking of each of you!

My younger sis is moving forward with her divorce. I got a positive update from her this week. I've been Waiting for the Question and it's working for me.

Amy, wanted to express special thanks for your Do the Next Right Thing example. I am doing so with a big paperwork issue and also my job prospects. Trusting that the next answer will appear as I get to that step. It's helping me be productive and positive.

And EVERYONE, thank you!
Old 12-09-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
mergirl

Friday, December 9, 2011
Asking for Help

It's okay to ask for help.

One of the most absurd things we do to ourselves is not asking for the help we need from a friend, a family member, our Higher Power, or the appropriate resource.

We don't have to struggle through feelings and problems alone. We can ask for help from our Higher Power and for support and encouragement from our friends.

Whether what we need is information, encouragement, a hand, a word, a hug, someone who will listen, or a ride, we can ask. We can ask people for what we need from them. We can ask God for what we need from God.

It is self-defeating to not ask for the help we need. It keeps us stuck. If we ask long and hard enough, if we direct our request to the right source, we'll get the help we need.

There is a difference between asking someone to rescue us and asking someone in a direct manner for the help we need from him or her. We can be straightforward and let others choose whether to help us or not. If the answer is no, we can deal with that.

It is self-defeating to hint, whine, manipulate, or coerce help out of people. It is annoying to go to people as a victim and expect them to rescue us. It is healthy to ask for help when help is what we need.

"My problem is shame," said one woman. "I wanted to ask for help in dealing with it, but I was to ashamed. Isn't that crazy?"

We who are eager to help others can learn to allow ourselves to receive help. We can learn to make clean contracts about asking for and receiving the help we want and need.

Today, I will ask for help if I need it - from people and my Higher Power. I will not be a victim, helplessly waiting to be rescued. I will make my request for help specific, to the point, and I will leave room for the person to choose whether or not to help me. I will not be a martyr any longer by refusing to get the help I deserve in life - the help that makes life simpler. God, help me let go of my need to do everything alone. Help me use the vast Universe of resources available to me.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
mergirl

whooohoooo, holiday craziness has begun

we did an alternate thanksgiving day this year so that we could include more people, and it was so nice in my opinion

apparently not so much for other family members.

I had suggested we do our traditional prime rib dinner chritmas night instead of christmas eve, so that more people could be included and now

I am once again the a$$hole who wants to ruin the holidays

sigh

I am used to seeing my boys a week after christmas anyway, as their bio-mom keeps them for both eve and day, so I will see the new grand baby when I can, and be grateful for it
Old 12-09-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

(((Lisa))) - I'm glad YOU enjoyed the alternative Thanksgiving, too bad about others. IMO, we're never going to make everyone happy, so WE get to be happy I don't know what we're doing for Christmas, other than NOT going to stepsisters where everyone was for Thanksgiving. I'll go to Christmas Eve candlelight service, spend most of Christmas day at with mom-Kay and family, and figure out the rest when it gets here. I've already told the brat there is no money, so no presents but she totally understands. She's done a great job at decorating the house (with stepmom) and it's really nice.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-09-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I've asked for help so many times and not received it, that now I'm bypassing people and taking matters into my own hands! I've got so many people PO'd at me right now and I'm loving it. Sucks to be ignored, huh?

I have a high living room ceiling and bought a new fan; I've hated the old one since day one. I've waited and waited for 12 damn years to get it replaced! Electricians have been here off and on, but contractor and husband kept blowing off telling them to do the fan. Yesterday was the last straw for me. I bypassed contractor and husband, called the electrician myself this morning, and they were here in 20 minutes!

Contractor lost the commission because I made the call and we'll also be charged the regular rate. OH WELL! Money talks, BS walks, and I got it done. I'm on the warpath and maybe that will teach them!

Lisa, I pray you hang on tight to the true meaning of Christmas and ignore the Scrooge's and Grinch's
Old 12-10-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
mergirl

Saturday, December 10, 2011
Empowerment

You can think. You can make good decisions. You can make choices that are right for you.

Yes, we all make mistakes from time to time. But we are not mistakes.

We can make a new decision that takes new information into account.

We can change our mind from time to time. That's our right too.

We don't have to be intellectuals to make good choices. In recovery, we have a gift and a goal available to each of us. The gift is called wisdom.

Other people can think too. And that means we no longer have to feel responsible for other people's decisions.

That also means we are responsible for our choices.

We can reach out to others for feedback. We can ask for information. We can take opinions into account. But it is our task to make our own decisions. It is our pleasure and right to have our own opinions.

We are each free to embrace and enjoy the treasure of our own mind, intellect, and wisdom.

Today, I will treasure the gift of my mind. I will do my own thinking, make my own choices, and value my opinions. I will be open to what others think, but I will take responsibility for myself. I will ask for and trust that the Divine Wisdom is guiding me