Notices

Class of December 2011 part 2

Old 12-28-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I've done the autopilot thing too Frankie - it is scary.D
Dee, yes it is scary. Not the first time this happened to me, but the last time was quite a while ago. It usually happens when I am very preoccupied.
I am a safe driver, only one speeding ticket in my entire driving career, and no DUIs, since I simply never drove when I had had a drink.
But still, stopping somewhere and not knowing how I got there is scary.

Btw, I can't find that chat trouble shooting link you posted for me a while back. Would you please post it again?
Apparently I am missing a plug in to be able to chat on here. The auto search for the plug in failed, now I need to do a manual search, but it would help to know what I am looking for.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...eshooting.html

if you ever need it again, it's in this forum, Frankie

Chat Meetings and Chat Discussions - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 12-28-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

For today i am sober

AA may be human in its organization , but it is divine in its purpose. The purpose is to point me to God (of my understanding) and the good life. My feet have been set upon the right path. I feel it in the depths of my being . I am going in the right direction.

The future can be safely let to god (of mine ) . whatever the future holds, it cannot be too much for me to bear . I have the Divine Power with me to carry me through everthing that may happen.

good love , Inda

Keep on hanging on Ella hug
Old 12-28-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Drala I am sorry for your loss. There is never a "good time" but holidays make it harder.

Ellen thank you for such an honest post. I felt like you could see into my thoughts.

Frankie pat yourself on the back for not going in.

Take care everyone.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Frankie, congrats on not going in. nice willpower action
Old 12-28-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Interestingly, going into the liquor store after I had pulled up in the parking lot never crossed my mind, so there was never an issue of temptation.
I was simply astonished at having ended up there, and am still trying to figure it out.
I hope my AV isn't trying to take charge of the wheel
Old 12-28-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Frankie tell your AV she has to walk. Gas is expensive!!
Your posts help me a lot. Thank you.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ellen36 View Post
I am on this alcoholic movie kick right now. Anyone seen The Lost Weekend? it's about a really hardcore alcoholic who goes on a weekend long drinking binge. It's an old black and white. But alcoholism is alcoholism, whether its now or 60 years ago.
Thanks for the introduction Ellen36 - The Lost Weekend - great movie.

If anyone is interested in watching it, the link to the full movie is below:
http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/jNNdRNl_ke0/

Please remove above link mods if it violates any of your t&cs.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:15 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Frankie,

Please pardon my ignorance but what is your AV?

Stuart
Old 12-29-2011, 01:19 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Earth Child

We managed to throw away the Valium . Got the drs tomorrow going to talk to her about it.
We need to be honest with her and tell her whats going on right now ...
At the moment we aren't feeling well getting stomach cramps unsure if it to do with using or not ... its been 2 days since the last time we used ...we are wanting drink we think once this season is over that we will be ok its just getting past new years that's the problem.
We think we will be on here on new years night apart when its the bells so we can be with my husband then.
We are going to get some j20 ( non alcoholic drinks ) as there a really nice change to pop .

Ella
Old 12-29-2011, 01:52 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

It's decision time today. We are join to my sister's for dinner this evening. It just be her family (husband and two children) and us. They are not heavy drinkers but we are always offered a gin and tonic when we get there and there will be plenty of wine with the meal.

I'm not sure whether to just decline the drinks on the basis that i'm giving it a bit of a rest/not in mood, etc or tell them that I've given up completely because it wasn't doing me any good. Added problem is that they bought me a very nice bottle of malt whiskey for christmas and I don't want to seem ungrateful.

I'm committed to this programme of sobriety but I feel I would rather others see it as a decision taken as part of a mid-life decision to become more healthy etc rather than "Stuart clearly has a drinking problem, I think he is an alcoholic, always did drink too much, never knew when to stop,etc, etc".

Am I in some sort of denial, not wanting to admit to my weakness? I have discussed all this with my wife. She is supportive but I still feel she would prefer others to see me as someone who just tends to opt for a cup of tea or glass of diet coke rather than 'my husband is an alcoholic'.

I think she still thinks (hopes) that I can have the occasional drink socially, like normal people, and then refrain the rest of the time. She might be right in some circumstances e.g. a toast at an anniversary. I think my weakness is that when I'm at home one drink will probably lead to another. It's drinking at home where is where the problem is. It's too easy at home to find something else to drink. Hence why prior to christmas we were running a booze free house. Post christmas we have all sorts of bottles of wine, sherry, whiskey and gin from friends and relatives all sitting comfortably under the christmas tree. How lovely.

It's a tricky one. It is a bit difficult to say to my wife, who does not have a problem, that the bottle of gin given to her by one of her staff in work should be poured down the sink in case I drink it. Same with the rest. I think I'm going to suggest she puts it away in her wardrobe, where any 'evaporation' will be all to evident.

Writing this has helped. I don't think I'm going to tell my sister I have a drinking problem, for now at least. Rather I going to say I have given up drinking as it was becoming habitual and was giving me insomnia, which is true. I think I would prefer to be seen as someone who just drifted away from drinking..

What do you guys think. Am I being a complete fool or is my behavour sort of understandable?

Nothing is ever straight forward it seems.

Stuart
Old 12-29-2011, 02:29 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hi Stuart12,

IMO your feelings and questions are legitimate and understandable.

You clearly are in two minds whether to "fess up" about something which is indeed, very personal.

Perhaps this saying will help: If in doubt - don't, at least until you're comfortable, which you don't appear to be at the moment - and that's ok.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:39 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Day 25. Have just spent four hours at the local with wife and friends. I discovered that drunk people appear to be idiots and my bladder can't hold five Coca Colas.

Initially I thought I was missing out, then I saw the way the people who had had a few were behaving and I just felt relieved that this time it wasn't me making a rooster of meself.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:13 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Random Guy

six

Originally Posted by stigblack View Post
I discovered that drunk people appear to be idiots and my bladder can't hold five Coca Colas.

Stigblack this made me chuckle, at least the 5 coca colas part. Mainly I think because I was a beer drinker and have the bladder of a camel because of it. Congratulations on day 25 that is way more than me on day six. But at the rate I am going and feeling I will get there eventually.

I have offically broken my old record of five and I am feeling good. I had a few passing thoughts of drinking during the last couple of hours at work yesterday posted about it on my personal thread and went to the store with no intention to buy beer. Glanced at the aisle and just told myself nope you don't drink anymore you know where that leads. To be honest I had to say that to myself more than once but suprise suprise it worked. It wasn't too hard but in my mind it is an accomplishment as I have been trying for more than a month to reach a week and tonight without drinking I will finally get there.

INH
Old 12-29-2011, 04:43 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Fdm

Today begins Day 4 for me. I began my Reboot in 2012 early. After a tough day at work yesterday, I could have easily had a cold beer. It was my first day back since the combination of the Christmas holiday/flu, and I had a lot on my plate.

Instead of drinking, I ate a small pack of Nutter Butters, then I assembled the new vacuum cleaner, tested it out, helped my son with some Xbox issues, did some laundry, worked on the budget, whipped up a quick meal, and got to watch my beloved Big Bang Theory, almost interruption-free.

So, I'm plugging along, alone with the rest of you. 2012 is going to be a good year for me. I plan to work to make it so.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Good morning class. wow I have a lot of posts to catch up on!

Frankie way to go not ending up inside the store buying booze. That would have been very tempting for me probably.

Day 3 for me today. Yesterday some cravings popped in my head due to feeling kinda crummy with some withdrawal stuff. Instead I went with a huge bottle of gatorade. Last night I found myself waking up sweating which has happened in the past when quitting drinking and its so gross! I also had some nightmares. I am so grateful to have found SR and be able to post with other people who understand what getting sober is like.

Have a good sober day everyone
Old 12-29-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

InsertNameHere and FDM,

Know exactly what you mean. I find myself visiting the local supermarket on a very regular basis and for the past week have found it intriging walking down the booze aisle. Part of my brain is tempted to linger whilst at the same time i'm thinking that I don't need this stuff anymore. Strange, but satisfying when I get to the checkout with nothing but vegetables and lemon and ginger tea!

FDM I find that if temptation arises that keeping myself busy doing household jobs or cooking takes my mind of the lure of red wine etc.

The temptation is definately psychological not physical and as such I need to learn how to bolster my mental attitude towards drinking. At present I do a daily mental audit of the benefits I have enjoyed since giving up ten days ago and then compare and contrast this state of being with how I was before. It seems to be working.

Next hurdle with be New Years Eve as we have been invited to a party and there will be quite a few people there I know, all of whom will be drinking. As Stigblack has said I am actually looking forward to seeing how everyone else behaves once they have had a few drinks. By midnight they will almost certainly be pretty sloshed, I know cos that would normally be me.

We are off work today and at this time of day 3.20pm I'm sure we would normally have a glass of wine or something. Today it is tea and for once it was my suggestion to have some. Hopefully this is a sign that I am making some progress...

Regards

Stuart
Old 12-29-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

BoozeFree,

Glad you are sticking to your plans. Even when I was drinking I used to sweat a lot in the night particularly if I hadn't had much to drink, it was sort of like my body was objecting to not having had its daily dose. Waking up in the night and feeling my back all wet was really unpleasant and such a dramatic manifestation of what is was to be a drinker.

Now the sweats have gone and I sleep largely right through the night. Going to bed knowing I am going to actually sleep rather than just toss and turn is in itself a good enough reason to give up.

Stuart
Old 12-29-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

stigblack - Put a couple hundred miles on the Suzuki coz the weathers been so brilliant.

I wouldn't be riding (no longer have a bike) but I would be diving. It's going to be way too long and my reef webcam daily fix has been down for weeks now.

Ellen36 - So strange to read of someone having great weather and riding a motorcycle. I look outside and see gray and gloom. I walk outside and the wind hits me and I have to keep my mind on something else just to try to forget how cold I am.

Tomorrow morning my daughter flys back to Nome, Alaska - into -13F° day and -16F° night temps and lots of wind. She has little sympathy. LOL Also, look into the books "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff (and It's All Small Stuff)" and "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women" - highly recommended.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, day 4 here. Feeling really good, although I'm jazzed up on way too much coffee. Oddly, since I'm not drinking, it takes less caffeine to really affect me. Or maybe it's because I've lost weight. Anyway, I can deal with caffeine over-indulgence :-)

My life is somewhat of a train wreck at the moment, and most likely will get worse before it gets better, but I know being sober is the right way to deal with the wreckage.