Old 12-27-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

it's awesome to see you guys getting through Christmas

D
Old 12-27-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Quick post before I run out--
I'm on day 2, and am confident I'm heading in the right direction. I honestly think I need to change up my entire lifestyle. Maybe this seems evident to everyone reading this(I picture you all slapping your heads and yelling "duh--no kidding"), but this just kinda sunk in for me.

My other issue is that I may be headed for a divorce. Quite tramatizing to even type that. But, I know I need to stay sober to deal with whatever occurs--either yes that's what happens, or no, we work things out.

I know alcohol is not my friend.

Congrats to everyone on here who is doing well, be it day 1 or day 26.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Editor

samwitch
I treat everyday like it is day 1.....with Compassion, Desire, And Hope! Keep your chin up and moving forward.
Peace
DAve
Old 12-27-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Earth Child

We are back to 0 again ...we took some Valium for the wrong reasons also wanted to get drink as well went to the shop to get it and it was shut ( christmas opening times ) we where so pissed off about it as well.
We are also feeling like we want to cut ...we are safe as in my husband is around he is in the next room playing a computer game and we can call him at any time yet he will not stop us from cutting as he says if we need to we need to .
And we need to
Old 12-27-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear that DA...maybe you need more support...did you ever find a good therapist or community nurse?

D
Old 12-27-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we do need to change our lives Sam - but we need to change ourselves first.

Try to take it day by day - stay sober, get clearer, grow stronger - then you can look at what else needs to be done?

D
Old 12-27-2011, 02:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee, Sam. One day at a time. Try not to make any big decisions right now while you are dealing with new sobriety. You may be able to see things as they are more clearly, but don't ignore the fact that some of the problems you have are the result of your own drinking.

I was reminded of that for myself on the F&F forum....that the best thing I can do to help my family is to be sober. They will naturally benefit and our relationships will improve. Alcohol has damaged them more than I often want to admit.

I am on this alcoholic movie kick right now. Anyone seen The Lost Weekend? it's about a really hardcore alcoholic who goes on a weekend long drinking binge. It's an old black and white. But alcoholism is alcoholism, whether its now or 60 years ago. I find that these movies shake me up. Seeing what could be my future is scary. Seeing myself become my father....well that just cannot happen. My kids don't even want to visit him because he always smells like booze, slurs his words and talks loud and makes them uncomfortable. That just can't be me in the future!!!
Old 12-27-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Earth Child

No we dont have any other support apart from my husband
We dont trust therapists
Old 12-27-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I guess I am in December now too :0)... Day one almost done and I am now more excited than anxious because I realize this is a one day at a time decision. I have a plan, YAY! Thank you for support and will see you on day 2.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome sober4myboys

D
Old 12-27-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarkAsylum View Post
No we dont have any other support apart from my husband
We dont trust therapists
That is too bad, DA. I have seen therapists... and I found them to be human just like the rest of us.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Just checking in and checking out how everyone is doing.

I'm halfway through day 4 here - woo hoo.

Good luck today to my fellow crew/ classmates!
Old 12-27-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hello.
I am Art and I am new to the December class. I am on day 17 and so thankful that I made it through Christmas without a drink. It was my first sober Christmas in so many years...that I cant remember when my last one was.

Just wanted to stop in and say hi to introduce myself.
Have a great night everyone!
Old 12-27-2011, 07:36 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the thread Art

D
Old 12-27-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Congrats to everyone that made it thru Xmas sober! Day 2 coming to an end. Going to sleep early again. I feel kinda scared or something to be out there 100% sober instead of having my drunkenness to hide behind if that makes any sense. Before if I made a mistake or something I could be like oh I was drunk even tho I know that's no excuse.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

It makes a lot of sense to me BF. I was very comfortable with my drunkenness even when I hated it.

But I wanted a better life - and I know you do too...

there's a lot more responsibility for sure, but it's not *anything* like the immense burden my active alcoholism used to be

D
Old 12-27-2011, 09:19 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Day 24 here and just realized that I didn't think about drinking at all today. I've been here before, but I think my last bender convinced me that I can never drink safely again b/c this go around it's been a lot easier to shut my alcoholic brain up whenever it try's to be slick if that makes sense... Anyway, stay strong everybody! Think for new years I may just stay in and play some video games and go for a jog first thing in the morning while all the drinkers are waking up with a nasty hangover
Old 12-28-2011, 03:29 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Day 24. Put a couple hundred miles on the Suzuki coz the weathers been so brilliant. Nothing else to report except that when I got home I really wanted a beer (probably more habit than anything else) but I had a ginger ale instead.

Oh, and everyones invited to our chatroom new years party. Bring yer dancing shoes.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:58 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kopfan View Post
Eating too much though! Seems like when I stop drinking I start eating to compensate!
I'm told that it's replacing all the empty calories we got from the alcohol.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:10 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stuart12 View Post
Now I realise that the real challenge will be coming home from work, finding my wife still out and not due home for an hour or so and then thinking I could have a few gin/tonics and nobody need be the wiser.
Not so sure about "nobody need be the wiser". I told myself that lie for a very long time. Seems the only one I was kidding was myself. Everyone knew every time I drank.

Why not do something for an hour before going home? Go to the gym, go to the library, take a walk - just something to take up the danger time. We owe it to ourselves to make this journey as easy as possible. I try to keep myself out of harms way, away from temptation as much as possible.