Notices

Class Of October 2011 pt 5

Old 12-18-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good morning, everyone. I am, for no paticular reason, in the best mood today. As Gerbosko noted, I am not thinking of drinking often, as I thought that I would be.
Funny because my roomates both drink, all my friends drink, and I just don't want to partake in it or even really think about it so much. Weird...I was 24 the last time I went through recovery, and it was much different than this. It is better. I feel better, and it is amazing.
On another note, I had my hours cut back at work, (which does suck) and have decided to move back in with my parents for awhile. It will be too much to pay to for school, rent, insurance, etc...I know I do not have the best relationship with my mother, (major alcoholic), but I do love my father. My father is also sick, so it's almost like it was meant to be I guess. I'll be able to spend more time with him, and I'll be saving money. A lot of the people I work with got laid off, so I am counting my blessings.

@ Neverbeentospain-I am glad that you had such a great trip and that you stayed sober the ENTIRE time! That is awesome.

@ Tanja-I do not think that is rude at all. The only thing that is important right now is doing whatever is needed to continue to stay sober. If I had a life or death choice where I had to punch an innocent person in the face or drink a bottle of wine, sorry to that person, but he/she is getting punched. Nothing can come in between us and our sobriety. Nothing. Even if it is rude, so what? We have to do what is best for us right now, which means we need to be a bit selfish IMO.

@ Phil-Tee hee hee...I'll admit, I'm a spendaholc. I feel like I am single handedly stimulating the economy. Yikes. You're welcome, Recession! Ha ha

@ Deserto-I am glad your party went well. It's nice to be on the side lines watching everyone else get trashed, lol!

@ Gerbosko-I'm sure your mother has already told you, but it is not nice to call people names. I'm not above flying to NC and hitting you with the stick that I borrow from Dee.

@ Dee-Can I borrow your stick?! LOL

Just kidding about the stick Gerb and Dee. I hope you are all having a great weekend and hope to hear from Geralt, Meila, Honeypie, General, Littlesparrow, Birchgreen, and everyone else!
Old 12-18-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bozboz
I'm not above flying to NC
You'd probably end up staying. It's too beautiful to leave once you're here.

Originally Posted by Gerbosko View Post
I cannot complain except I might miss a packers game.
The game I miss is the game the Packers lose, go figure.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Was 2 months sober on the 15th.

Been kind of laying low getting used to it. <smile>
Old 12-18-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Guys, what a beautiful day out. I got so much done today. My teenager slept until 3pm though! Ha ha. I remember those days. Just being young and sleeping in, what a treat.

I am sorry I ever got involved with alcohol. Looking back now, I think I was an alcoholic the minute that first cold, bitter taste of beer went down. Because back then the pleasure was not the actual beer - it was being 16 and being out with friends and boys, and feeling young and excited and like everything was possible, and doing something "wrong" - the thrill of the illicit! And I think drinking, combined with "pleasure" in my mind, is what stuck with me...throughout college, throughout my 20's. Even though I got into lots of jams, and had many blackouts and many "misadventures" - somewhere filed in my reward center was, "drinking is fun."

Drinking isn't fun. Drinking is taking a drug. People are fun, friends are fun, life is fun. Fun is fun.

And now I have to disassociate my beliefs in "fun" with "drinking" and this does take time. It is not a snap.

Hope all is well with everyone! Thinking of you Goodcheer!!
Old 12-18-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

@ Goodcheer. Drinking isn't fun. Drinking is taking a drug. People are fun, friends are fun, life is fun. Fun is fun.

That's good, insightful stuff that I'll keep in mind. Thanks for sharing it!

@06yz125 Congrats on two months! That's awesome!
Old 12-18-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Congrats 06yz125!!!
Old 12-18-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Bound and Determined

@ Deserto--I'm glad you had a good time. Isnt it weird to see people we know drunk? It makes me hate to think back on myself. Really happy it was a nice evening for you.

@ Tanja-- I don't think its rude at all. Its a statement about self-preservation. There are gonna be those that will be with us in our "camp" and those that won't get us. I guess we can do our best to bring those that don't get it in. However, if they won't we sort of have to let go. Letting go I think is really hard initially but in the end, if you have to, its freeing.

@ bozboz--you are invited anywhere with us except to the mall lol. I'm kidding you. It sounds to me like you deserve some kind of great treat for yourself and I hope you get yourself one.

@ honeypie-- I have a strong feeling alot of us knew we were alcoholics right from the starting gate as teens when others were just being "rebellious". At least we can bet better now and life can be great? How are things coming along with your potential relocation?

@06yz125 Two months! Congratulations

@ Gerbosko--you always sound like you are upbeat and having a good time. I'm sure you are up to some fun things asid from that fantastic studying you are doing. Happy holidays and continued good luck with your GED work.

@nvrbeentospain--glad to hear your trip was great.

@miela--saw you had "checked" in with a thanks..hope youre doing well.

Dee and everyone else hello and happy Sunday.

I heard a great quote today at a meeting. I brilliantly didnt go up to the person afterwards and ask what article or book it was from but thankfully I'm a fast writer and got the quote. Its really helpful to me at least:

"In order to become whole, we must try to discover our personal truth. a truth that may cause us some pain before delivering us to a new sphere of freedom. If we choose instead to content ourselves with intellectual "wisdom and mere theory" we will remain in a sphere of illusion and self-deception.

We become free by transforming ourselves into responsible individuals in the present who are aware of our past and able to live with it"

That really helped me out...now I've just gotta find out where its from ha!

Have a good Sunday and beginning of the new week all.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:06 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hiya Phil, what a great post, and what a cool quote. Let us know when you find out where it is from.

My relocation is on hold. There are many things at play. I will definitely keep everyone updated. For now it is one day at a time, right here where I am, in Soberville, population one, in my kitchen at the moment!

PS I just baked sugar cookies and brilliantly had the idea to put crumbled candy canes in there and all it did was make the cookies really gooey yet hard at the same time. Like, inedible!! Sheesh!!

Deserto = glad you liked my quote :-) I will try to remember it, myself!!
Old 12-18-2011, 05:08 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Bound and Determined

@ geralt: ps I didnt mean to leave you out buddy :-) just havent seen any posts in a few days and forgot to say hi. Hope you are doing well!
Old 12-18-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Bound and Determined

ps: @ Littlesparrow, Sadsoul, Goodcheer and General...you all too....there are so many of us! :-)
Old 12-18-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

@06yz125 Congratulations on hitting 2 months!

@Gerbosko Congrats to you, too, on hitting 2 months! Good luck on your reading test tomorrow! I know you'll do great, especially now that you've cleared the alcohol from your head! (Ha, I couldn't resist!)

@Nvr I'm glad you enjoyed your trip and get to remember all of it! I'm way impressed.

@boz Good luck with moving in with your parents again. Sounds like it's a good plan, though. And I'm glad you'll be able to spend time with your dad.

@Deserto I'm glad you enjoyed the party. You are so right about living in a bizarro world thinking that everyone else is drinking. Now it really irks me when I go to a party or event and there's no N/A option. It seems to happen all the time. But I guess it's a good thing because it makes me think twice about whether it's an event I want to attend in the first place.

@Tanja I don't think it's rude, either. Maybe hang out for a little while since you're hosting, but then can you go to your room and read or something? If everyone is drinking so much, they're probably not going to remember what you say to them anyway. And staying sober for yourself is way more important than sticking around with them, getting too close to the alcohol. You can always use the "I have a headache, I'm going to lie down" excuse if you don't want to get into it with them.

@honeypie I totally identify with you on having wired our brains to think drinking = fun. Even though the fun was about 5% of the time and all sorts of bad stuff was 95% of the time, I only saw the fun part. I don't know how or why I tolerated the rest of it just to get to fill my body with poison. I know now that I romanticized the whole thing, and then it took on a life of its own. You're right that it's not always a snap, but I am enjoying finding out what fun really is.

@Phil Thanks for catching that quote and sharing it here! I have to keep reminding myself of my own story, what didn't work for me in the past, and where I need to go from here. I am who I am and I can't change the past. I just have to do the right thing in this moment.

Everyone else, I hope you're doing okay. I can't believe we're on part 5 already.

I haven't been posting much lately because I have been so busy. The dogs are exhausting because I have to referee constantly (they stare each other down, then chase and bark at each other as they run around and around our kitchen island), I've been doing Christmas shopping, work has been exhausting, blah blah blah. But I'm still sober. I've been staying home more often, mostly because of the dogs, but it's really helping me to not drink. Today I realized how nice it felt to not have a hangover and to not have had one in months. I also gave a lot of thought about how I can't even have one drink, because I've been down that road a million times before and I know exactly how it'll end up.

Have a good week, everyone!
Old 12-18-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations 06yz125

D
Old 12-18-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Imperfect being, but trying

Been a weird weekend around here, but I learned I have to be more considerate and thoughtful about how my actions will affect my wife.

Had some friends over by the firepit, some of my old drinking buddies. They drank, I did not, but it stressed the hell out of my wife. I never once even had the urge to partake, I was drinking coffee.

My wife was inside wondering if I was out there drinking. She was also upset that I mentioned they were coming but did not mention they would be drinking. I assumed it was understood, but she thought I intentionally misled her and wasn't being honest.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:28 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 06yz125 View Post
Was 2 months sober on the 15th.
Congratulations!

I have to work today AND take my first GED test.. Yikes. Guess I'm going to have to buy some soda or energy drinks lol.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

You can do it Gerbosko!! Er...i wanted to put an emoticon for support but..i wanted the least amount of stress in your day today so - woo hoo, go for it, and NO EMOTICON!!

:-) (that can't possibly count)
Old 12-19-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Hi guys,

It's amazing how much progress we have made since October. I have been really busy the last 2 days, so I today I have been catching up reading all the posts. Then I realized how different those posts are, compared to our first ones.

Remember talking about the physical withdrawal, the anxiety, the cravings, how alcohol destroyed our lives, the obsession with drinking etc? And look at us now!

Suddenly it turns out that life without alcohol is possible and that being sober is actually quite better! Sure, life hits us with bad news, stress at work or emotional problems, causing the occasional craving but that's life. Booze or no booze, those problems won't disappear and we have to deal with them.

But life also gives us things in return: meeting new, interesting friends, a job or study opportunity, new love or even simple things like a sunny day or a smile from an other person. It's those little things that we can appreciate entirely when sober.

Tanja, Phil, Bozboz, Gerbosko, General, Deserto, Honeypie, Goodcheer, Rocco, Littlesparrow, sadsoul, nvrbeentospain, miela and everyone else have a great day!

I will be back later to write more, read a really interesting book about breathing and breathing exercises that I would like to share.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Oh and how could you forget Dee!!! Dee, have a great day too!
Old 12-19-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good Morning All,

Honeypie - Your post on "drinking is fun" really resonated with me. Although, it is cunning and baffling because drinking has ceased to be fun for me, yet my addicted pre-frontal cortex still has that awful "drinking is fun" mentality stamped on it. I suppose it does take time, effort, commitment and faith that it wil get better. Great minds think alike I was baking sugar cookies yesterday too! Mine are decadent. I frost them and put crushed candy canes on top. Geralt- thank you for your post. It serves as a reminder that things do get better with abstinence. 06yz125 - Congratulations on 2 months sober! I love your beagle avatar. It reminds me of my little beagle I had to put to sleep almost a year ago. I stil miss him terribly. How old is your little beagle? Ibet he is sweet and gentle. Thank you to everyone for the great advice on not drinking during Christmas. Littlesparrow - I really like the headache excuse. Wishing everyone a very happy Monday!
Old 12-19-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

hope things go well Gerb!
best of luck...

D
Old 12-19-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Just checking in quickly as time is (once again) against me

06yz125 Congratulations on 2 months sober Hope you are very, very proud of yourself!

Originally Posted by philb View Post
@miela--saw you had "checked" in with a thanks..hope youre doing well.
Thank you for thinking of me Phil, Geralt and Bozboz - it means a lot, it really does

Great post Honeypie. I, too am trying to change my attitude to alcohol and fun but, boy, it's a tough one. I was at my work Christmas party yesterday. Unlimited free drink and everybody was drinking except me. I was driving so it kept some of the questions at bay but I still got a few of the usual comments, e.g. "Ah go on, just one won't kill you". I drank lots of Diet Coke which meant that I was running to the bathroom quite a bit (!) but my bathroom breaks gave me a few minutes breather, away from the crowd. I left pretty early (after about 2 hours) because my social anxiety got the better of me and I reached a point where I couldn't take anymore. I found out today that the party finished at 11:30pm and then many of them headed out to a late night bar to continue the celebrations.
Had I been drinking and joined them at the bar, I can only imagine how drunk I would have been. I am quite slight (my weight fluctuates between 100lbs - 105lbs), I drink alcohol very quickly and often drink more than the 200lb men so it's no wonder that I usually end up blacking out. Today I am grateful that I didn't drink for that reason. Last night I hated that I couldn't have a glass of wine. On top of that, I was given a few bottles of wine as gifts, which I will re-gift... if my partner doesn't drink them all on me before I get a chance

Hope everybody's day is going well.

M
p.s. Sorry about all the smilies Gerbosko, I just can't seem to help myself