Notices

Class Of October 2011 pt 5

Old 12-21-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

We're a strong group and I believe we'll all keep sober this holiday . Remember that no holiday is worth losing your sobriety over.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:24 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Good Morning All,

Congratulations Dee on your 5th sober x-mas You really are a God send. Your story and your advice motivate me. I have faith based on your input that it will get better. I had read in book I have that creating your alcohol biography is a way to work the first step in AA - showing how unmanageable your life was when drinking. I am hoping to create one and post it. This may take some time. I am hoping this will be cathartic for me. My husband is stil drinking to excess. Brought it home last night. I am not tempted at all at this point (always aware this is subject to change). I can only imagine how he is feeling this a.m. Yuck - I don't miss it
Old 12-22-2011, 05:29 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Boz - I live a boring life too At least it is a sober life and much happier life! Excitement is overrated! Emotional and spiritual growth is more in line with my goals. Hope everyone has a wonderful Thursday. Tomorrow is my birthday. I will be 52 (yuck). Hey, I guess it beats the alternative X-mas eve will mark 30 days for me
Old 12-22-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hey, October folks!

Joining Boz on having a boring life and Tanja on enjoying it. In fact, I'd love more time to stay home and do things like make cookies and read. I like social contact and all, but one thing I really don't miss a lot is going out and "partying" or whatever. Home by 11 at the latest is more my style.

So almost Christmas. It sounds like we've all done OK with the holidays so far. For me, they haven't been nearly as tempting as I thought they would be. Of course, I've been out of town or working, so I guess I've been removed from lots of that stuff. Working both Christmas Eve and New Years Eve as well, so eh. Speaking of which, I guess I should head off to work now. Missing the days of summer vacation, winter breaks and spring break.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Bound and Determined

I want to wish each and every one of you a wonderful Christmas. (or whatever holiday you celebrate) during this season. I hope its filled with joy in the present tense and anticipation of good things to come for 2012. Lets all have a good 2012...I'm feeling it already. Any of you having difficulty.... Youre not alone, please don't isolate and fall into familiar and self destructive patterns, even if it just means posting here. You are valuable.

Animal, I never got to know you prior to my 30 days inpatient. I am sending good thoughts out to you and wish you well during the holidays.

We are leaving today for Palm Springs for Christmas....for those of you who knew me before my inpatient that is where I relapased just before going inpatient......

I think I will request a different room for us......I think a horror movie could be made called "Room 33" ....lol....funny, not....at all...!.....It wont happen again. Maybe it needed to as I am where I am today. I would even brave room 33 (I honestly dont remember if thats the number) and think I would be fine. I have no intentions of poisoning myself and those around me ever again.

Peace and love to all of you.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

You'll all do fine .

I just got back from my walk - t-shirt and shorts. 60 degrees out right now. My friend in Wisconsin don't find that amusing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
funnyreply.jpg (38.2 KB, 77 views)
Old 12-22-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Damn, forgot to post what I had for lunch. Trying new things from local businesses finally. I was interested in another place at first that I read about, but it said something about being a tavern / restaurant.. I remember Dee posting something that he prevented pubs after getting sober (if memory serves right) and I guess with two months sobriety in me I understand how non-sense they are. I want to try the food badly, but I'm not putting myself in a position where alcohol is all around me. I wouldn't think this way if it wasn't for SR, damn you people are great .

Anyways here is what I had.

Spicy Peanut Tofu Wrap
"Organic Tofu grilled to perfection topped with Spicy Peanut Sauce"

I added a few things to this like lettuce, tomatoes, onions.

The 3 C's (Fresh squeezed Juice)
"Carrots, Celery & Small Cabbage Wedge"

He added red cabbage to it too, it was an interesting taste. All this organic food nearby makes me happy. Once I have some more cash built up I'm finally going to change my diet.

Since it's a shopping center too, I picked up some hummus and crackers. The hummus is "Sweet Roasted Red Pepper".

(larger picture)

Old 12-22-2011, 10:06 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Bound and Determined

You know Dee before we left I tried to think of a Christmas present for this group...I hope you wont delete the link but I understand if you don't approve of links its just a Tracy Chapman song "Would You Change?" I would like to give it to everyone for Christmas:

Its certainly not selling anything but the concept of change. I think my most favorite lyrics are:

"If everything you think you know makes your life unbearable would you change?

If you’d broken every rule and vow and hard times came to bring you down would you change?

If you saw the face of God and love would you change?"

Change Tracy Chapman - YouTube

I count all you ladies and men as my friends phil
Old 12-22-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Bound and Determined

ps hey gerbosko...per your menu....are you sure you arent in reality from California :-)
Old 12-22-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Why? California sells same thing? Or are you talking about the expensive price? LOL.

I'd rather pay $5 for something made fresh right in front of me, than $1 for a "juice" bottle that who knows how it was made.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

You guys warm my heart! Thanks for your funny posts, your songs and photos and for being there.

Bozboz, tanja, nvrbeen, I would like to join the "boring" club too,

except my boring life gets jazzed up and excitable when I fight with my teenage son (yeah, yeah, same old tune, sorry.)

Today began well...I made a whopping batch of toll house cookies from scratch this morning. From scratch!! Lovingly measured, baked, even placed on a plate looking all homey and Christmas-y. Well...I got into a huge argument with my 15 year old, it escalated when he mocked me (which makes me absolutely batsh*t crazed with fury.)

And I dumped the plate of cookies into the garbage. Marched the garbage bag out the back door and threw it into the bin. I was so p--d off!! Here I had made all these cookies for him and he got me so mad I dumped them.

There is nothing worse than saying to your kid "you are only fifteen years old!" and having them screw up their face and whine in a granny voice "You are only fifteen years ollld" - God, help me.

These feelings I get when I fight with him? Make me feel like saying terrible things and even worse they make me feel like buying wine. Not at the moment, but later. Like an insurance policy. It sucks. I feel trapped.

I try to be strong. I try to remember he is 15. I try, try, try. It is so hard you guys.

Bye for now. I am still sober, just tired and a bit worn out from drama. :-(

Thanks for all your upbeat posts!
Old 12-22-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I got to mention last night to Dee about my younger days - Rebellious and a completely negative person. Dropped out of high school - Who cares, I didn't need school, I was ready for whatever life had coming for me. I was banned on two or three internet forums for trolling, spamming, and acting like a complete tool -- It wasn't my fault, I just had "bad days", I'll just sign back up and get my revenge on them with a different IP.

That's a few things from my younger days - I thought I knew everything and I didn't give a damn what other people thought or said about me or to me. Emotions were high, Depression was high, and life really didn't mean that much to me.

Why am I saying this? Your son is in a rebellious time in his life, teenagers are hell raisers and think they know everything. Even though this time in your life dealing with him is a pain in your a*, he'll grow out of it and mature - but it'll take a few years (hopefully sooner). Once I hit the age of about 22, I finally started to see how foolish I was acting and starting changing my life and finally feeling mature.

He'll grow out of it - I hope things get better.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy birthday for tomorrow Tanja - good luck with the bio and thanks for the kind words

You tube links are fine Phil - it's just the commercial ones that are a no-no

I remember how I was at 15 honeypie - but I got better - I know your son will too.

Please remember we're all here for you

D
Old 12-22-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Thank you Gerbosko, Dee and everyone.

Things are a bit better already and I am not going to drink over it.

Tanja, 52 is still really young to me!! I mean it! Come back in 20+ years and then we can start complaining about getting old. (I am not far behind you, girlfriend!!)

52 and SOBER!! That is what counts, babe! Woo hoo!!

For tomorrow: :day2
Old 12-22-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Bound and Determined

Congratulations Tanja! What a gr8 Christmas gift....we are now going to try and beat the L.A. traffic out of town...wish us luck....pleeease Tanja I will be 54 in May...I'm happy my heart is ticking and I am sober. We'll just have to invent our own 50+ glamour reality series....because we are absolutely fabulous lol ......take care!
Old 12-22-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Tanja, I hope you have a great birthday tomorrow!

Life here is good. Trying to wrap up a bunch of things at work before the holiday -- I have next week off and then am taking off three days to go to a hot springs to celebrate my 40th the following week. So while there is nothing pressing at work I'm trying to get stuff done so I don't have to come back in two weeks and think (while slobbering, is the image in my mind) "what was I supposed to do here again?"

For the Christmas weekend... we're having three couples over for a Xmas eve dinner -- us childless waifs, as we joke. Might go for a hike and to the community dinner on Xmas day.

I do need to make my way around town and find a little something extra for the wife tomorrow, just for a nice surprise. Argh. Christmas shopping!

Went out for a nice dinner with another couple last night... they were having drinks and feeling free (they have a young child and don't get out much) and again (we rack this feeling up these days) felt no awkwardness or like I was missing anything by drinking tea.

Okay, I confess, there was one round when I thought, oh, a little buzz would be nice... but it passed.

The main thing I wonder these days is, how did I ever have so much time to devote to drinking? I feel like my days are (almost irritatingly) full right now. But maybe I'm picking up the pieces still.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:21 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Thank you Gerbosko for your funny post. It got a belly laugh from me. I really do need to laugh more. Thank you Dee, Honeypie and Deserto for the birthday wishes. I had a though last night "I can never drink again" and I felt afraid and disappointed. Then, I thought "freedom from alcohol - you should be doing the happy dance". It truly is one day at a time for me. Speaking of freedom, here is a good daily meditation for today: When I think about the destructive power of my addictins and obsessions, this scene from a movie sometimes comes to mind: A man is trapped in a small room with no exit; the walls, which are studded with sharp spikes, are inching ever closer . . . For half my life I was a prisoner of alcholism. As my disease progressed, my cell grew smaller, and my awareness of the outside world diminished. I all but missed two decades of social, economic, and political change. Each year, my circle of friends and possible rescuers grew smaller. At the end, my every thought centered around drinking - getting through a hangover, getting out of trouble, getting money to drink some more. My world has opened wide since then, but it quickly closes in again when I become obsessed with something. I lose the freedom to think about anything else, to look elsewhere, to move about. When an obsession begins to take hold, I try not to waste time willing or wishing it away. I turn to God, to the power that freed me from the confinement of my addictions. Thought for Today: When I become obsessed, I lose my freedom."
Old 12-23-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TANJA!!!!!!! :day I absolutely love your new profile pic. Your babies are adorable. Anyway, I hope you have a magical day, filled with love and fun!

Honeypie...Next time you have an urge to throw the cookies away, please send me a message first, and I will set up a p.o. box for you to send them to.

Seriously though, I am sorry you are having a hard time with your son. I was a punk when I was that age too. The boys are right though...we do grow out of it...eventually.

GERB! You need to try the hummus made by Sabra. It is the best stuff on earth. *drool*

Nvrbeentospain...you totally kick my butt. I just don't have it in me anymore to stay out to 11. I'm usually in bed by 10 since I quit drinking. I am making one exception on January 6th, though. A very scary movie is coming out (I <3 scary movies) and we are going to the 10pm show, so I will be forced to break my rule...better be worth it.

Phil! Have a great time in Palm Springs. The weather should be beautiful! I'm so glad the Santa Anna's stopped, I about blew away, yesterday.

Deserto, do you need any ideas for your wife? I'm great at Christmas shopping. (Shopping period.) Just let me know. I'm at work right now, and it is DEAD, so I'll be on SR most of the day.

I have one more present to get, and am debating whether or not to get it. My Uncle (I have his name for Christmas), is an avid wine drinker, and requested a bottle that is only available in a certain shop in my town. Sucks, but I text my sister to see if she can go with me. That way I can just run in and out without getting sucked in to having a flight.
That place is my weakness, I won't lie.

Other then that, things are good. I've been feeling kinda down at night time, and can't really figure that one out, but hopefully it will pass.

I will talk to ya all, later~Boz
Old 12-23-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Boz, thank you so much for the birthday wishes. That really means a lot. I am so glad you like the new profile picture. If I could fit all six animals in my avatar I would I would highly recommend not buying wine for your uncle. Particularly if you know that place is your weakness. Is there another gift you could get him? Wishing you a wonderful Christmas!
Old 12-23-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I did speak to my sister, and she is picking it up the wine for me, so problem solved.

Your baby on the left looks alot like my bozboz. So cute! Enjoy your birthday sweetie, and Merry Christmas to you, too. (((HUGS)))