# 322 (permalink)  

Welcome HFA! The more the merrier
Old 11-07-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Welcome HFA
Old 11-07-2011, 04:41 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Stronger Together

I need to amend what I posted above to include the Dads who are getting sober while their kids are still young also... the same goes for you. I should have said parents in general, so sorry.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Welcome @HFA!

@Boozefree Happy Birthday!

@PhilB that sounds like good news and a big step for you! We'll miss you and be thinking of you for the next 30 days.

@Miela glad to see you again! Was wondering how you were and I'm happy to hear that you've been doing well. Congrats on 30 days, that's huge!

@SD777 welcome to the Sobertobers! I've seen you around the threads and I'm glad you are here!

To everyone else ... a big :ghug3

Need and want to focus on work a bit more this week after a heavy week of SR posting last week I'll be around and reading though... so see you in the threads!
Old 11-07-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Oh also wanted to share something from last night. Went to see Moneyball (it was good) and afterwards was talking to a friend about the whole sobriety thing. Another friend had asked her, "What's up with Deserto? He seems down." She told her "well he's been sober for the last month..."

I have to confess the comment really got to me and bothered me all day today as I sat in my office. I don't feel like I've been down, I feel actually happier than I've been in a long long time. And I know that this other woman was probably commenting on a night she saw me when I was tired and fending off a cold. But I was a little irked to have any perceived quietness "blamed" on me being sober.

I know it doesn't matter -- I'm doing this for myself, and no one else. But sometimes in this early sobriety I feel more like a 15 year old boy than a nearly 40 year old man.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Deserto - When people think so strongly of something and they know they could never achieve what someone else did, they become jealous. You quit alcohol and she's just jealous because she could never do that because she's so tangled in the social trap of alcohol and so poisoned by it's deception that she's immune to any thoughts of quitting.

Hold up your head, you're the better person. People will try to deceive you and make you feel guilty for quitting because of what I explained above. You're a hero, not a villain my friend.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Bound and Determined

All My Bags Are Packed I'm Ready To Go....how did that sixties song go? I can't remember I hope it had a happy ending. We are getting ready to leave so that I can start this adventure tonight.

Thank you so much everybody. Sadsoul you just rock the planet....Geralt, thank you...you have been on benzos and alcohol you said. Are you alright and under supervision? My symptoms have become not only psychological but very physical which is why I am going to be under observation for three days. Tanja! Thank you. And I got to see you and your beautiful baby today in that great photo!! Thanks Goodcheer and Deserto and debinaweb thank you so much for the personal well wishes I didnt get to know you I hope I will in thirty days. And also thank you all everyone else so much. I look forward to coming back and checking in with....I've picked up this bad habit in California of saying "you guys"....I'll revert back to my Southern heritage which is more all encompassing....I'll look forward to checking back with you all in a month!

This place is like a little cozy house its not remotely creepy feeling. It has a fireplace, living room, dining room, kitchen and six double bedrooms. I saw the other people there and was introduced on the tour...its not remotely like one flew over the cookoos nest...it looks really nice. Thank God all my family is coming along with me and hasnt fled.

Well, this is my last post as it seems computers are forbidden (we might look at google images of liquor bottles I guess : -) )

Take care all.

Happy Birthday again Boozefree
Old 11-07-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know that my public persona had been fuelled by alcohol for a long time - I'm actually quite shy and naturally a lot quieter than I was as a drinker.

I know I'm happier and more content and peaceful than I've ever been ion my life, but people have sometimes commented I'm a lot less fun too - go figure.

It probably doesn't help I don't 'play the game' anymore when it comes to partying hard and drinking either...it kinda tends to put the mirror back on some people

D
Old 11-07-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Oh Jeez Phil now I'm going to have Leaving on a Jet Plane stuck in my head all night!

"Dream about the days to come." Good luck and we're pulling for you!
Old 11-07-2011, 06:52 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hi Sobertobers, and hi/bye Philb, I am here in Los Angeles waving at you somewhere out there heading into your cozy rehab retreat!

I am a bit envious of your rehab Phil, I have always wanted to go somewhere, and be in a structured environment for a month to get it really drummed in. I can't though, so I will keep on keeping on here.

Am in LA, have been at meetings, then came back to hotel, worked out in the fitness room and now am going to eat some dinner and get into bed and watch television and zone out! Good thing I am not drinking anymore because the little teeny bottle of chardonnay in the minibar? $40 bucks! Hah! No worries about me drinking it, that's for sure, I wouldn't dare ever even pay that amount for something so trite. No, it's bottled water for honeypie tonight. And I LOVED "Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife" - i bought it from Amazon and read the entire thing cover to cover in 2 days. Ladies, you will LOVE IT!!!

Everyone's posts are (as usual) inspirational and interesting. What a cool and groovy monthly group are we. Oh yeah. Oh yeah. You know it. (sorry, I think LA just hit me.)
Old 11-07-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Bound and Determined

I actually had to log back on as we are heading out (ok so I'm a little ocd too haha) I had to point out thank you Dee for wathcing over all of us I wanted to be sure and mention that I had forgotten. Honeypie I just saw your post ....Thank You......

Enjoy L.A.

Roll down the window put down the top Crank up the Beach Boys baby Don't let the music stop We're gonna ride it till we just can't ride no more I love L.A. (We love it) lol
Old 11-07-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Administrator

happy trails Phil - see you when you get back

D
Old 11-07-2011, 08:08 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Wow, Phil, good luck at rehab! If you've got the chance to do it, I think taking it makes sense. We'll all be here when you get back.

Day 38 for me. Jeez. I guess I do have some magical belief that something will happen once I hit a certain point, but I don't know if that's 60 days, 90 days, 1 year ... That's probably not so true, huh.

So good habit I'm trying to pick up on top of this whole sobriety thing -- am workouts. Staying late at work makes me so much less miserable if I know I've already gotten my workout done for the day. Of course, it's also something I couldn't do if I drank a lot the night before anyway. Here's to better health.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Hello to the people joining us now!

I know I'm late and Philb is probably checking in right now, but I wish I would've posted a little earlier so I could tell him how amazing and inspiring it is that he's doing this. I imagine us all standing outside as a big proud group smiling at him and cheering him on as he walks through the door. I really hope it goes well, and I'm looking forward to hearing all about it in 30 days.

Gerbosko, your pictures are fantastic. The area looks so serene. I really wish I could throw on my backpack and spend a few days on the trail. The Appalachian Trail is on my bucket list.

BoozeFree, happy birthday!! I've been thinking about you all day and hoping that your day is going well. Enjoy your pizza and movie. Sounds like a perfect birthday to me!

I hope everyone is having a good start to the week. I'm traveling for work at the end of the week (it seems like a lot of us are right now, November must be a good time for meetings?), so I'm starting to think about how strong my commitment needs to be while I'm there. Must get psyched up about sparkling water with lime.

Have a good night, everyone!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:55 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Well, learned the opening (trumpet) riff to "Ring of Fire" on a borrowed guitar tonight. Got the chords of the verse (G-C-G-C) down if not quite the transition between them. Didn't make it to the chorus because I'm missing the high E string and a D chord just isn't complete without it (did I mention this was a borrowed guitar)? Need to get some new strings tomorrow. My fingers feel like I've just played patty-cake with a cheese grater.

When I was drinking, I'd have talked for ten years about wanting to learn guitar. In fact, I think I did. Not to make too much of sobriety (or my commitment to guitar) -- but it feels pretty good to think, "I'll try that" -- and then go right out and try it.

Goodnight all! Hope all our Sobertobers are doing well!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:14 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

It is weird how we "calm down" after we stop drinking.. I'm naturally pretty laid back but now since I stopped drinking I really take things in stride and don't get worked up over dumb things. I'm still working on a few other things but they'll come in time I'm sure. I'm not sure what the psychological brain inputs are, but it seems that whenever someone has a fault, they brush it off on someone who doesn't so maybe the drinker vs non-drinker is a jealousy issue or a psychological issue *shrug*.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:28 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! I feel great today and hope you all do too. I was really busy at work yesterday and didn't have a chance to do much reading here or to post at all. After work, I walked 3 miles, so after dinner I was pretty much worn out. I got a refreshing 9 hours of sleep and am ready for the day.

I was starting to get a little nervous about the weekend. Big college football game and we usually have a party. I told my husband that I don't think we need to do it this year. He agrees. I know our neighbors will come over anyway (even if we're not having a party), but it's ok. She doesn't drink and we usually just drink coffee together. I think I can handle that.

Have a good day!
Old 11-08-2011, 05:18 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Good morning sobertobers,
What an amazingly brave thing Phil has done! I'm bowing down to you Phil and wish you my very best. Looking forward to hearing all about your experience. The house sounds really comfy and how wonderful that you have the complete support of your family!

Honey pie, you cracked me up about the price of the wine! I believe it!

Tanja, how are those adorable doggies doing?

Sadsoul, gerbosko, Alaska, goodcheer, dee, boozefree , deserto, EVERYONE, thank you for you inspiring posts! I tried posting yesterday on my iPhone but it doesn't appear to have come through.

Boozefree, happy belated bday. I hope you had a spectacular evening!

Welcome to the newcomers. The more the merrier.

There is such an abundance of support here!!!

I'm listening to a song about having a hangover! What a stupid song! Glorifying a hungover ugh.

Have an awesome day everyone. Almost 70 degrees here in Boston and sunny! I'll have to skip the spin class at lunch and catch some rays.

Bye for now....
Old 11-08-2011, 05:34 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

‘Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife’: One mother’s fight to get sober - books - TODAY.com

After reading her book, I googled her (Brenda W.) and found her on a few talk shows. There is another book which I also coincidentally bought the same time I bought "Diary" and can you believe it, the author of that book is with this author on Ann Curry. ( I love Ann Curry by the way! She is so smart and cool.)

I am going to find an LA meeting I think! I have a rental car, might as well.

How is everyone doing today?! Are people sleeping well?

Enjoy the weather in Boston, Iwantmeback, and KUF that sounds really smart to avoid the party and just have coffee...in this book "Diary" she ends up substituting a lot of her old wine and cheese type events with tea and dessert type things. Good idea huh!