SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class Of October 2011 pt 3 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/239915-class-october-2011-pt-3-a.html)

Dee74 11-01-2011 05:54 AM

Class Of October 2011 pt 3

Continues from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...pt-2-a-20.html

:You_Rock_

D

Gerbosko 11-01-2011 06:06 AM

Wow, we're an active group! Hooray for the Sobertobers!

honeypie 11-01-2011 06:25 AM

Good morning all.

Great to see you Sigma, you did start the October thread so keep posting! We're all in this together and we are all struggling through - it isn't easy but it does get easier as the days and weeks pass...!

Thought for this morning: candy hangovers are much better than alcohol hangovers!!

I think today is the day I sign up to a class at the Y, though. I need group support to exercise, even though I like running, the weather will soon give me excuses not to.

Thinking of you all - every one is so inspiring. Thank you all for being here. :tyou

goodcheer 11-01-2011 06:40 AM

Dee...thanks for the new thread. Amazing how active we Octobers are...hope we stay together way into the future. One thing i have learned from AA. Folks who stop actively managing their sobriety often relapse. Our minds start thinking we might be able to have one or two drinks, and then boom...the addiction is back with a vengeance. I know this would be the case with me. I had no idea my own addiction was so deeply ingrained. The cravings and obsessive thoughts are still so strong for me.

Hi honeypie and gerbosko. wishing you both good strong sober days.

peace and strength to all.

BoozeFree 11-01-2011 07:29 AM

Good morning. Enjoying this cold morning with some music before I head to work. The beginning of the week never gets me down to much but the daily negativity of a co worker by the end of the week really starts to just get annoying to me. I have to just ignore it I guess and do my best to keep the good vibes. I slept another 10 hrs last night which is awesome. 2 people at work are sick and this morning I woke up blowing my nose and with a scratchy throat, hopefully it wont get too bad. Day 3 and moving forward. Im vey grateful for this site and all of the wonderful support of the octsobers group!

Congrats sparrow on the 30! super rad!

Honeypie taking a class at the Y sounds like a perfet way to spend some time. What type of class are you taking?

Goodcheer I agree with what you said about stopping to manage sobriety and then relapse following, I can def relate to that!

Have a great day everyone!

Deserto 11-01-2011 08:06 AM

Morning Octsobers! We've made it to our first new month!

Alan Carr has come up pretty frequently in our group, and I started a thread over in the alcohol forum because I'd love to hear some more of your thoughts on his book. Take a look when you have time:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-thoughts.html

LittleSparrow 11-01-2011 08:25 AM

Good morning, everyone! Goodcheer, thanks for mentioning actively managing sobriety. The phrase just really stood out to me, kind of like an "Aha!" moment. It's just something I'll always have to do. It's like yardwork or paying bills: it's a pain if you don't keep up with it and have to deal with an out-of-control mess every time, but it gets easier the more you take care of it and make it a habit.

I hope all the Octsobers are able to stick with us as we move into November. I'm sure the November class will be great too, but we need you! No-drink November, how about it?

tanja 11-01-2011 08:29 AM

Deserto, I agree with some of what Alan Carr said. "If you drink enough you become alcoholic". Certainly, if you start using alcohol as a coping mechanism, it will lead to habit and become a problem. I find it disturbing that it is constantly shown on tv as a coping mechanism. Hear bad news, have a stiff drink. People even joke about it in the workplace. "Oh, it must be 5:00 p.m. somewhere - I need a drink". But, I certainly do not believe that social drinkers become alcoholics. Genetics plays a huge role. I do not bellieve anyone who drinks long enough will become a alcoholic. My father-in-law has been drinking for 60 years. He may have a glass of wine every other day. He is not a alcoholic. My father drank for 47 years and gave it up after his second heart attack (may he RIP). He was not a alcoholic. I think that theory is way off base and just overgeneralization. It flies in the face of reality.

sadsoul2011 11-01-2011 10:11 AM

Wow - we are a busy group - Thank Goodness! This is such a life line :)

I've been so busy the last few days with work and Halloween activities with the kids that I'm behind reading (what is now) the last thread. I'll have to catch up. Does sound like we're doing well. Love the "No Drink November". Has a nice ring to it!

Reading and posting on SR is definitely one of my active ways of managing my sobriety. Deserto - thanks for starting the thread on Allen Carr; I'm getting ready to re-read the book. It should be an interesting thread.... Would love to get other's takes on it. It is a big part of what started me on my path to sobriety a couple of years ago. I knew I had a problem with drinking and it got me thinking..... and changed my way of thinking......

Hopefully, I'll be able to stay awake one of these nights to start reading. I've been so tired lately - it's ridiculous. I think that may change soon though. Finally made it through a night without any night sweats. Yeah! I'm feeling a little more energetic and pleasant today - no headache so far....I've got to drink more water.

Evenings are still an irritable time for me because my husband drinks and I have to deal with seeing him enjoy that every night. Sigh! It is making me stronger in a way - it doesn't give me cravings to drink. I just get crabby when I first walk in the door because it reminds me that I can't - that is my knee jerk reaction. That irritated feeling fades after a while and I'm happy that I'm not drinking. It definitely isn't a part of the day I look forward to however. I feel that I need to keep my guard up so that the irritated feeling doesn't turn into something more. I just remind myself that "I don't drink." Simple as that.... --- I actually feel bad even complaining about this; there are others that have so many worse things to put up with/deal with.... Pity party now over... :) Thanks for listening.

I'll try and post more after I have a chance to read everyone's posts from the last day or so.... Hope everyone enjoys the rest of a wonderful, sober Nov. 1st!

alaskasunshine 11-01-2011 12:03 PM

SoberTobers

Originally Posted by Gerbosko (Post 3155124)
Wow, we're an active group! Hooray for the Sobertobers!

I love that..thanks Gerbosko!!

tanja 11-01-2011 12:59 PM

Sadsoul, you are amazing. Being able to stop drinking while your husband is still drinking. That is a huge accomplishment.

alaskasunshine 11-01-2011 01:09 PM

Mine Drinks too

[QUOTE=sadsoul2011;3155358]Evenings are still an irritable time for me because my husband drinks and I have to deal with seeing him enjoy that every night. Sigh!QUOTE]

Yesterday my b/f and I came home from running an errond around 7pm. We stopped for his usual drink at that gas station, tall clear plastic-style cup, filled with Coke. When we arrive home he leaves the coke in the car, we go in and then he makes up a reason to go back out to get the coke AND he says he needs to get something out of the trunk. Upon his return the top of his drink is no longer dark brown, its diluted. And all I could think of was maybe he would at some point leave the drink unattended so I could have a sip to confirm my suspicions. He didnt. F****er. Instead he leaves me to eat dinner alone downstairs while he takes his dinner upstairs to watch football and enjoy his drink. Spent the next hour and half by myself handing out candy and watching tv sober.

Sigma 11-01-2011 01:10 PM

This is a busy group, plenty to read when I come home from work, and plenty more in the mornings. Even though I slipped, I still followed the thread quit well. I see a few faces that have made it quite far.

I have all the classic books mentioned, but I was browsing last night and ordered this one "Alcohol: How to Give It Up and Be Glad You Did". If anyone has ever read it, shoot back some comments please. :)

sadsoul2011 11-01-2011 01:49 PM

Tanja - Thanks for your kind words :)

(((Alaskasunshine))) - I feel your pain. It's pretty horrible sometimes isn't it ?!? I just keep reminding myself that I'm getting sober for me and then try not to let it ruin my entire evening. Easier said than done, of course - but, it is getting easier. Being able to vent here helps, too. Unfortunately for others, it is nice to know I'm not alone here. Though it can feel lonely at home can't it ......

My husband has made several snide comments to me in the last week about how great it is that I'm feeling so much better since I'm not drinking. I know I've been crabby some - I've had a headache every day and I'm just now starting to sleep better at night. Couple that with having to watch him drink every night - too much for me to be the model of pleasant. Of course, he seems to forget that most drinking nights I ended up crabby (and usually worse). He also doesn't seem to notice that I'm mostly crabby toward him - the kids don't seem to get to me..... hmmmm ;). I hope that as I heal and feel better I'll be a good example for him and he'll want to follow along. We'll see - either way I'm taking the sober, clear-headed route to life!

This will all get better! We know that we're on the right path for us!! And it has been wonderful for my kids. I don't ever regret the decision to stop drinking - it's hard but so worth it!

Hang in there!! :ghug3

sadsoul2011 11-01-2011 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sigma (Post 3155610)
This is a busy group, plenty to read when I come home from work, and plenty more in the mornings. Even though I slipped, I still followed the thread quit well. I see a few faces that have made it quite far.

I have all the classic books mentioned, but I was browsing last night and ordered this one "Alcohol: How to Give It Up and Be Glad You Did". If anyone has ever read it, shoot back some comments please. :)

Glad you're still with us :) I was thinking about you the other day and wondering how you were doing. Keep with us - you can do it!

I haven't read this book, but it sounds similar to some that I have read. Make sure to let us know how it is? I'm always looking for books that may help. <<If only I could stay awake to read them ;)>>

sadsoul2011 11-01-2011 02:00 PM

Gerbosko - I wanted to send you a BIG THANK YOU!

The pictures you've posted and your working out has been inspiring me :) I actually ran for the first time in ages last weekend. Felt good! My thigh muscles were *killing me* though LOL. But a good pain. I'm going to run again tomorrow morning. Yeah!

THANKS!!! And keep posting ...... :thanks

Enemdio 11-01-2011 02:32 PM

Hi Sobertobers,

Just got in at 9pm after motorway closure led to 3.5 hour journey home from work... a month ago that would've warranted a bottle of Shiraz in 45 minutes to calm down and catch up. Not tonight though - now I'm a Sobertober (Love that) just had a cup of earl Gray instead.

Goodnight sobertobers.

sadsoul2011 11-01-2011 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by General (Post 3155732)
Hi Sobertobers,

Just got in at 9pm after motorway closure led to 3.5 hour journey home from work... a month ago that would've warranted a bottle of Shiraz in 45 minutes to calm down and catch up. Not tonight though - now I'm a Sobertober (Love that) just had a cup of earl Gray instead.

Goodnight sobertobers.

Thanks for sharing - LOVE success stories - way to go!! Have a great night :)

Sigma 11-01-2011 03:13 PM

Thanks sadsoul, will keep you informed on how the book goes. :) Keep up the good work, your help here is very much appreciated.

tanja 11-01-2011 03:13 PM

Alaska, pat yourself on the back! Having a significant other drink when you are committed to sobriety can't be easy. My husband drinks too and has been on the wagon with me. That made a huge difference for me (it isn't in the house). I did manage a few years ago to quit for 2 months and his drinking didn't bother me. But, I think it would take a few months for me to reach that point.

General - I am drinking a lot of chamomille tea:)

Sigma - that books sounds really familiar. I may go look it up. Thanks for the tip!