# 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Frances

D
Old 08-19-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Editor

Good Day All
I like the catfish lofty! He must have been pretty hungry. I hope that you survived the cookout.
Dave
Old 08-19-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Mornin Marchers! Hope you're all feelin great today. I've started a new project..turning the once "play room" into a spare bedroom. Wish I felt more motivated, though..have to spackle and tape off today, then get the paint. Got the mattress set and bedding yesterday. I'll be glad when it's done! Looking forward to watching the Lions play their second pre-season game tonight. Can I hear a roar? ROOOAARRR!

Have a great Friday everyone! Weekend, schmeekend..no triggers for my marchers!
Old 08-19-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Remember the friend who got drunk the other weekend and who I drove home? Well about a week ago, she told me she was working on moderating her drinking! I was so happy for her...a good step in the right direction. She is going to try only social occasions and to not drink too much when she does. (Not sure how she will do with this, but she needs to figure stuff out on her own, obviously.) She called me tonight wanting to talk about how she's been stumbling lately. It felt so good to help her with some things and be there for her. You guys have taught me SO much about what we're all going through, I was able to give her some good feedback. I love you guys..thank you. I got all choked up after we hung up, it felt so good to be where I am...and that feeling is pretty new for me.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:25 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

new Av and way too many brackets in this post!

I woke up yesterday and decided I needed to run a marathon.

I quit competitive sport a year ago as had idea that I would focus more on creative stuff if not training all the time and this would give me the answer to whatever the question was...but no increase in creative stuff (which is what I plan to do to get away from career boredom) so adding running back into the equation.

E-ed sister (who is an elite runner) and she said would probably do same marathon in April 12 which is cool. I have realised that I can not expect her to understand my issues with drinking (she is my closest person but has a lot going on as her husband (an alcoholic athlete like me...which really doesn't help things...although the death was (I think) unrelated to alcohol) )died unexpectedly just under 2 years ago) but I know she is (excuse the maths) 300% encouraging for any sports I do even though I run at about half her speed and that is what I need from her.

Hell, I don't understand my drinking!!! (Yes, still happening (although at least only intermittantly) so am just a March-hanger-on) But I am also aware that I analyse it to death when the answer is actually...I chose to drink. End of story. (Followed by much analysis of why of course which I won't bore you with...but I am slowly knocking things on the head)

Dave, I look forward to your interpretations of new avatar.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:31 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

TOI... good to hear you are getting back to running. Hopefully, it will stoke creative juices for you as well. Your first sentence at first suggested to me that you woke up yesterday and RAN a marathon...DOHH! For some reason, your avatar reminds me of Lord of the Ring.

Yes, Dave, I survived the cookout. What am I in for now!? My daughter looks like she's 8 yrs old compared to her teammates (thankfully). They were a nice bunch of girls, and sounded like they were having fun dancing in the basement. I was a good dad and didn't interfere. I was proud of my daughter as she helped me make a lot of the food before the party. And guess what?! High schoolers can't drink, so no temptation for me.

Frances...can't wait until Sept 1 for you! You are an inspiration to me...actually all of you are.

Mirage...what a great outcome! Your friend is better for knowing you. You are modeling her ideal life. Wow! Oh, and I guess I have to call myself a Bears fan, absent a real team in Cincinnati!

Day 14, and had a drinking dream last night. I don't want a drink, and consider myself done with it. So why does my psyche have to play games with me!?

Going to a meeting this am, then a swim, then work. Tomorrow, one or two meetings.
This is day 14, not Saturday, not a weekend, not an excuse to abuse!
Old 08-20-2011, 07:41 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Editor

Good Day All
Lofty you are doing awesome. Keep steaming ahead. I am finding out that being sober I am so much more capable of handling the teenage stuff. The bad I can analyze and explain to my boy better (almost15) and the good stuff does not slip by me without noticing.Even the little things. ......Also those silly dreams are your AV fighting to keep you and control you. You are kicking its butt right now and the only time it can try to advance on you is in your dreams/nightmares. Keep up the awesome work.

Mirage- You had an aha moment! I am kind of one of those everything happens for a reason guys. The good and the bad. I took on this attitude when I was 16 and my sister had her accident( Hit by a drunk driver). How ironic is that.............................I just had an aha moment. Sorry back to you and your friend. You are incredible. You have taken all of your experience from your own pain and misery and helped another human being. Simply holding out your hand to help is the single most greatest gift a human can give. Good on you mirage.

frances...Are you off running somewhere? I haven't seen you in a couple of days. I hope that all is well in your world.

TOI,TOI TOI..........That is simply.......awesome! I see isolation. I see frigid cold. I see hope. I see survival. I see life. I see beauty. Well done.
I was an art major at university many moons ago.
On the lighter side.
How did you get a picture of me on holiday?

Ok here is my story for today. My family had dinner at my parents house last night. As my father was tapping into his second 1.75 of red wine he proceeded to tell me how he was bragging on me to another relative of my journey. How great I looked and all that. He then told me how proud of me he was.........my father is not one to share his emotions....that is just not how he is built. I tell him that I love him constantly and I only think that he replied once or twice that I can remember in my life. I was thrown back....It made me feel awesome. Yet another aha moment. I am in this for life.
I wish that I could help him but he doesn't want it. Trust me I have gone that route over and over.Trying to get him help before I realized that I was not so far behind him on this decent. His spiral started when I was 16 and I don't think he wants it to stop.
Anywho.... It was awesome to get that positive feedback from Pop. It made my day,week,month.
Marchers march
Peace, Love and Happiness
Dave
Old 08-20-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I had a drinking dream last night, too, Lofty..you're in good company. I was going to some club, in the morning of all times, and I downed a beer without thinking before I went, with my friends. Weird. (As dreams usually are.) A little ironic, after I was feeling so good about things yesterday. I haven't had a drinking dream in quite awhile. Congrats on 2 weeks!! Sooo happy you're doing well..it gets easier with time..keep up the good work!

Toi...good for you for starting up the marathon training. That's a lofty goal! If I tried that, it would seem like a mirage and then I'd be totally over it. I'd probably forget it and be lookin forward to a peanut butter cup with frances and dee, wishin I were an Aussie. Ok, I'll stop.
I love that weeble!! lol..it's so darn cute! I'm trying to figure out where Lofty sees LOTR. I don't think there were purple roses in Mordor. Or maybe he thinks that's the Shire and the little pig looks like Sam? Either way, it's adorable.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Aw Dave..that's an awesome story. I never understood why people have a hard time with the I love yous. It's a shame, right? I sure don't..shoot, I tell you guys I love you all the time and we've never even met. lol I'm glad you had that moment, sounds like a gift to take with you forever. Nice. Thanks for the kind words.. and for that spot on interpretation of Toi's avatar. haha. Made me laugh.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Lofty, Lotr shire is filmed near me but I don't recall any scenes of violas in a wall planter.

Dave, that is neat that your dad I'd proud.

My father was always very negative to me, particularly about my not having husband and traveling instead of having permanent job. I met some people from his art group one day and it turned out he (who was very quiet) spent rather a lot of art class talking about his wonderful adventurous daughter!

I take all negative feedback to heart but tend to ignore good stuff. Was feeling very frumpy last week as bundled up for winter and hair had been beanied. Then two people who I don't like much told me they loved my hair and then got an email from another colleague about my hair. I had to have talk to self in mirror and admit it must look good! However I have added frumpy trousers I wore
to pile going to charity shop.

Have entered 10km race for six weeks time. When I did first half marathon, I did not drink week before. All events since I stopped for 1-2 days before. Was wondering yesterday what I am capable of if give it my best with running and writing and all my creative projects.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Dave, thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate it! I am sooo happy for you for the comments your dad made. You deserve it. And the fact that he volunteered it out of the blue means a whole lot. You should be proud. Your love has been requited. You, my friend, have one of the biggest, realest hearts that I know, virtually or otherwise. Sobriety really suits you.

TOI...no offense about the LOTR assimilation, but it was filmed in NZ, right? It reminds me of the scene in Twin Towers when they are leaving the shire.

Hey, Mirage! Drinking dreams are the pits! I not only felt guilty, but grimy when I woke up. The meeting helped, though.

Have a fantastic, sober Saturday all!
Old 08-20-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Yes Lotr is filmed in nz. Welcome Hobbiton Movie Set and Farm Tours, LOTR, New Zealand is near me. If they could use my wall planters maybe they could reduce costs for the Hobbit movie! I am not Lotr fan but saw each movie as would be considered unpatriotic not to! Lotr has done great things for nz and heaps of films being filmed here as well as our quirky ones.

And Dave thanks for your lovely art commentary. I actually see myself in this Weeble due to complete absence of concern for colour coordination!

I know if I can get enough sober days in (white-knuckling or not) I will get there. So am commiting myself to six weeks initially if only to see how well I can run. I think if I see immediate results it will help. By then hopefully my AV will be exhausted! Frances, I am using you as role model on this one! I hope your insides are feeling better.

Mirage, cool re your friend. Very cute comments on my running.

Stunning Sunday morning here. Put heating on and back to bed with pile of books until temp goes above freezing.

Seems I can't stop rambling this morning even though am tapping away on phone. Happy weekend Marchers and thanks for being here. I really appreciate you guys.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Sending love and appreciation from Maine where I am for the weekend. Tapping on phone so think of me excitedly responding to each post in full.

Toi, you know that my sobriety happened because of half marathon goal, right? My initial commitment was till may1 but by then I realized I could have so much more without stoopid booze. Cheers in you for your 10k and then in to your Marathon. I am only half crazy so I'll stick to the halfs. I had a grt 5k and change solo run this mornimg.
I havent been gratting or whining the past few days becUse of mismatched insides and outsides feelings and wanting a break from faking it until I make it. I will get there!
Love and sweetness to all!
Old 08-20-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Frances said:
Toi, you know that my sobriety happened because of half marathon goal, right? My initial commitment was till may1 but by then I realized I could have so much more without stoopid booze.

Exactly the example I am following. It has to be full marathon as it has to be something I have not done while drinking ( although will do half in jan as part of training). Two goals for next six weeks: see how well i can do when devote my energy to sport (rather than draining half energy into wine glass!) and to create new habits as I go about normal life without wine.

Time to get out of warm bed now
TOI the Thread-hog
Old 08-20-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Thunderstorms here..love it.
Toi, the year LOTR won the Oscar, I was in Hollywood visiting a friend of mine who's an agent. He got us into a party for the New Zealand Consulate, at the Beverly Hills Hotel. They were pretty much celebrating things filmed in New Zealand. The hobbits were all there, the dwarf, people from Whale Rider (one of my all time favorite movies), Kevin Sorbo, who played Hercules in the series that they filmed there, etc. Very cool!
Old 08-20-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Yes toi, exactly this is perfect that you will do a full as a new goal, love it! That training calendar will keep you busy for sure.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Mirage that sounds like a way cool party

Big fan of Lotr books and films
Old 08-21-2011, 04:21 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Editor

Good Day All
Man it is hot here. Humid, Nasty hot. Sometimes this time of year I wonder why we live here. Come on fall. Other than the heat all is well. I hope that everyone is on track and has peace is in their hearts. I ran across this song this morning. So much emotion....what a talent. Sorry ahead of time if you do not like it. Oldie but goodie.
Gordon Lightfoot " If You Could Read My Mind" - Lyrics - YouTube
Have a wonderful Sunday
Peace, Love, and Happiness
Dave
Old 08-21-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Ah, Gordon Lightfoot. Saw him in concert once. I know that makes me sound really old, but HE was old, not me. haha. (Ok, I just googled him and he's my dad's age..wow.) I love the song, Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. We play it whenever we're up by Lake Superior. Speaking of concerts, going to see Train and Maroon 5 tonight..taking the kids. Should be good! We have lawn seats (cuz I'm cheap), and it rained pretty good yesterday, so I'm hoping it's not a mud fest.

Have a great Sunday, everyone!!
Old 08-21-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

"It's Africa hot! Tarzan couldn't take this heat!!!"