Notices

Class of June 2011 Part 7

Old 08-20-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Hawaii sounds good to me - it's on my bucket list - so it would be another item to check off.

I like the talk about the NA beer as I always wondered about it actually tricking your mind and then ending up back where you started. I like the Sobertini the most - especially for summer. And it's once in a while - a treat. Like a hot fudge sundae....yum!

SJ - I hope your day gets better.

Every one have a nice evening. We had lots of rain today so it will be a good evening to veg out.

Yes, Squishy...I would like the recipe - sounds wonderful.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Shrimp Avacado Salad
Dressing:
3 squeezed limes
1/3 cup olive oil
2 TBL Dijon must
1/2 cup green onions
Fresh Cilantro
Salt and Pepper to taste

Whisk all together and set in fridge

Grill or pan fry shrimp (typically larger size for salad) with:
Lemon
1tbl butter
pressed garlic
salt and pepper

Place lettuce on plate, cut up avacado slices, place grilled shrimp, drizzle dressing and top with fresh parmesan.

Jambalaya
Cajun sausage
Shrimp
long grain rice
chix stock (usually low sodium in can)
celery
cajun seasonings

Cook rice (about an hour) use part chix stock, part water when preparring.
Pan fry shrimp with 1 tbl butter, lemon, garlic,salt and pepper
Throw in sausage with celery and 1 cup chix stock and cajun seasonings - let simmer
Add rice and continue to simmer until most stock is absorbed.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never had Jambalaya Squishy - thanks

D
Old 08-20-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Oh Dee - it is so good! Nothing like Cajun cooking!!!
Old 08-20-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  

mmmm Squishy! Jambalaya! My families favorite! Along with GUMBO! YUM! You should share your recipe! I like to compare, and mix up recipes! The only bad thing is that in the over the last 6 months or year I have developed an intolerance for processed tomatoes!!!!! It is KILLING me!!! (not to mention my fam!) sad-sad-sad-face

As for the non-alcoholic cocktails..... I have seen my dad (current sever alcoholic) try them for awhile, not sure how long.... as his rehab happened while I was in elementary school (bad memory), but all I know is that while STILL in elementary school... AFTER the non-alc beer "experiment".... my mom had to take us kids away to a hotel, because he had gone back to drinking.... and most importantly (that night) he was responsible for us 4 little girls and drove us home drunkk. Period. Not saying the non-alc beer lead to regular drinking again, but I really don't think it helped.

I have vivid memories of visiting him in rehab as a child. He is more of a mess now than before sadly.... but I guess there are no more little children to be responsible for.

My oh my, how I have so many memories coming back now. I am wondering.... as I begin to cry over things that happened so many years ago.... is this normal???? I think I must have blocked much.

Also, I have tried drinking something to "substitute" a cocktail, but that leads to resentment.... for me. Water and iced tea are best (for me). And, again "for me", trying to 'substitute' is the same as trying to smoke pot (something I miss and think about) instead of drinking. Not going there either though!!
Old 08-20-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Squishy! Your recipe has no processed tomaotes!!! I muuuuuust try when SD comes back, she will love you so much! And me!! Yessssss

Hey - how you doin anyway?
Old 08-20-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thnaks for sharing that wigglein - I know it must be rough tho.

Anyone who knows me knows I'm not a great fan of NA beer or mocktails.

I'm just the type of drinker for whom those kinds of drinks - whether it's NA beer or anything in a wine or cocktail glass - can start my alcoholic obsessions up again.
D
Old 08-20-2011, 05:12 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WiggleIn View Post

I have vivid memories of visiting him in rehab as a child. He is more of a mess now than before sadly.... but I guess there are no more little children to be responsible for.

My oh my, how I have so many memories coming back now. I am wondering.... as I begin to cry over things that happened so many years ago.... is this normal???? I think I must have blocked much.
Wiggle I understand your heartache. When I read your post I had sudden flashbacks of visiting my biological mother in "the asylum" when I was a child. It was terrifying. I think that we need to remember the things that have happened to us so that we can process then in a healthy way and move on. I think it is perfectly normal to remember these things now, especially if we have blocked out these memories with years of alcohol abuse. You are not alone.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

I agree 100% dee. At first I tried a "substitution" mixture that I came up with. Only lead to more heartbreak and suffering (personally).
Old 08-20-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Squishy- MMM Jambalaya! I will have to try it. I have had it before in restaurants but have never made it. I was actually talking to the bf a few days ago saying how much I wanted to make it.

Hawaii sounds fantastic!! I have been to the Caribbean and several times but never Hawaii
Old 08-20-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tuesday24 View Post
Wiggle I understand your heartache. When I read your post I had sudden flashbacks of visiting my biological mother in "the asylum" when I was a child. It was terrifying. I think that we need to remember the things that have happened to us so that we can process then in a healthy way and move on. I think it is perfectly normal to remember these things now, especially if we have blocked out these memories with years of alcohol abuse. You are not alone.
Goosebumps. Coming though me. Thinking of that white-board.... I saw.... as a child when visiting my dad in rehab...... a lady there wrote "I HATE THIS ******* DISEASE!". (talking about alcoholism) I was probably..... 6 or 7.... in that hospital. The writing took up the entire HUGE white board. (Cussing was not something I was exposed to)

I wonder why it hasn't really sunk in until now. I have thought about it before..... but not like now.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Didn't know that word would be changed into ******* stars !! sorry
Old 08-20-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  

So was just messing around on the internet and found that from here to Hawaii is approx 5300 miles!! what a large world we live in!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Oh you all your stories of your parents have shook me back to my past when my mom would sleep all afternoon because of Julio Gallo. Ugh I used to pour that stuff over the balcony and leave an empty bottle in her "hiding spot". Pathetic... I never wanted to be there...

Add Chalula to the jambalaya when you cook - oh so good! Made it tonight - full and happy.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Wiggles - I'm alright tonight - still sad about the situation, but I'm just plugging through. He's nice tonight and leaving in an hour thank goodness. :-)
Old 08-20-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Wiggle - Still staying strong? Sparkling water is the answer for me, and I have had 8 bottles today. Whatever it takes. I have tried the non-alcoholic beer but am convinced Darth Vader lives in that bottle. Always trying to lure me to the dark side.

Squishy - I love Jambalaya but I have no luck making it. I always eat all the shrimp and sausage before it makes it in the pot and end up with a watery bowl of seasoned vegtable rice. So very glad to see you posting this evening. (You too Wiggle!)
Old 08-20-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Stream you have to try this recipe - so easy and quick and healthy! Try it, the chix stock makes the recipe. :-)
Old 08-20-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Classical- Hope you are doing okay..keep posting Most of us can relate!

Squishy- I know. I always told myself I would never turn out like her. I can remember her chugging mouth wash and hiding wine bottles....although I didnt know what was going on at the time, I knew something wasnt right.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  

You all know what? I have not shared this much with anyone..ever. I dont even think I have admitted half of it to myself before. Thank you all for being so supportive and wonderful. You all have helped me more than any therapy could have. Much love.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:08 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Tues - I know exactly what you are talking about. I was throwing away her bottles when I was 11 and had no idea why I was doing it, but I thought maybe my mom wouldn't be so tired and wake up and play with me. I was so lonely when I had to spend weekends with her. Now for the last 25 years she has been clean and tried to buy my love for her mistakes. And now look at me making the same ones...