SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of June 2011 Part 7 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/234095-class-june-2011-part-7-a.html)

Dee74 08-13-2011 04:12 PM

Class of June 2011 Part 7

continued from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-6-a-20.html

D

Tuesday24 08-13-2011 04:22 PM

Hi Classmates- Part 7- way to go!

I am having a bonfire with the family tonight. Feeling a little better but I am bound to have my bad days- we all are. I just cant let it get in the way of the big picture.

Squishyboots 08-13-2011 07:10 PM

I'm here people! woohoo! way to go!

Tuesday24 08-13-2011 07:18 PM

You go girl :c011:

Buelah 08-13-2011 07:20 PM

Must be bonfire night...we are doing the same thing watching the lightening show to the South. Any one get to enjoy the persied showers last night....we didn't stay up late enough. Ah well..hugs to every one!

Buelah 08-13-2011 07:24 PM

Oh my word Paddy...you are always welcome here. Squishy and Blackbird - you are both staying strong. I'm so glad to see you facing each day with a hammer and baseball bat! Keep beating the crap out of that AV.

Soberpotamus 08-13-2011 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Buelah (Post 3070367)
Must be bonfire night...we are doing the same thing watching the lightening show to the South. Any one get to enjoy the persied showers last night....we didn't stay up late enough. Ah well..hugs to every one!

No, but I tried! The moon was so full. I couldn't see a darn thing :( I went for a late walk into the back of our neighborhood... the undeveloped section where there aren't any lights. The moon just ruined it :( Oh well, the moon is beautiful anyway, so I'm not complaining.

instant 08-14-2011 12:55 AM

It should be a full moon either tonight or tomorrow. I have decided I will train myself to remember to renew my vow to sobriety every full moon. Unlike the sun, the moon is easily missed. It is not as exciting or dramatic. It goes through quite short phases, it is always changing. It glows softly but brightly. It will never burn you.

Sounds corny I know. I have always ignored the moon in the past.

Rory I agree with the others. I have assumed your job is at risk ? If there is a drug and alcohol service, they are there to help. Keep posting, but something extra to help you along might help you get a foothold on sobriety.

Pumpkin Soup 08-14-2011 03:24 AM

I love the moon, always have. Sort of using it as higher power. It definately has power for me.

Part 7 brilliant.

Today marks a full 10 weeks of sobriety behind me - im extremely grateful.

Of to shower then my Sunday meeting - Im hoping it will revive some inner peace in me - I have more step work to do as well - my sponsor is back on Tuesday. I wont get any proper quiet time till next weekend though when the kids are with their Dad.

Its turning into a pleasant day weather wise here - Paddy I hope you are able to enjoy it.

Paddyb 08-14-2011 04:17 AM

morning all

I am going back to AA meeting tomorrow and feel stronger this time round, thank you all

Raquell 08-14-2011 06:30 AM

Way to go Paddy. go to as many meetings a day as it takes. I find that it refuels my tank listening to others share. It helps put my self pity into perspective.
There are always others worse off than ourselves.

Good luck

Pumpkin Soup 08-14-2011 06:43 AM

I second what Raquell said. Glad you have made that decision Paddy.

Paddyb 08-14-2011 06:45 AM

Hi All

Drinking does nothing to me any more and it has to stop before i make the old swapping beer for wine and spirits to get the buzz, i have a plan its 20 weeks starting tomorrow till the 1st of jan 2012 when i will be 43 years old then, and want me weight and better health by then, i need to lose 3 stone or 42 pounds for your guys over seas, and lead a better life from the out side and with in.

sweetnovember 08-14-2011 07:11 AM

Hi,
Hope you are all doing good today.

Pumpkin Soup 08-14-2011 08:02 AM

Thats great Paddy although try not to focus too much on the future, take it one day at a time, get to plenty of meetings and keep it simple.

My meeting today was good, I shared a bit about how I related to the speaker and regarding my conception of a higher power. An old guy who has been sober many years came up to me afterwards and told me over and over to keep it simple for now, keep it in the day, look after my health, I still have alot of healing to do. I needed that - cos ive been to lots of meetings I tend to think I know it all but really I am in my infancy of sobriety and I mustnt try and get ahead of the game, or myself. Brought me back down to where I need to be I think. Im very grateful for the meetings I have no dout I would not have made it this far without them.

Before I left I went on the Wii fit and it said I was 2lb up from last weigh in. I know im weighing too often and should keep it to once a week as weight can fluctuate by the hour but it got me down a bit. On my way to the meeting a song came on the radio, by a guy called Frank Turner, Ive only heard a few of his stuff recently but I like him so I turned it up and listened. It was like a message to me. It was called "If I Stray" and the words meant so much to me. Along the lines of not being strong enough on your own but with a bed to sleep in, clothes on my back and food to eat I have all I need.

I dunno if it will be on you tube yet I may have a look and post a link.

Anyway the song, and what the old guy said to me, made me realise a couple of lbs are absolutely bloody nothing in the large scheme of things. We are all fighting a DEADLY disease here and recovery is the most important thing to hold on to.

Paddy I never used to like the meeting and was pretty reluctant to go to any but now the penny has dropped and there is always something someone says that helps me keep on the right track. Im doing 3 meetings a week I wish I could do more. I would suggest that you try and get to one every day if that is possible - for now - it will help you through the first few weeks. Once you have found a few you like make them regular fixtures - or keep trying different ones. Im going to look for one on a Wednesday night to make a change from my Thursday one and to spread them through the week more evenly.

That is just my suggestion to try and help you. It may not be the best way for you and Im sure others will have other suggestions for you to try. All we want is to see you starting to get better, hopefully before you lose your job or do more serious damage to your health.

I am doing good today Sweetnovember - how are you?

How is everyone else? Seems quiet so far today although I guess its been sleepy time over the pond.

Pumpkin Soup 08-14-2011 08:05 AM

Classical you posted while I was typing - great to see you are feeling so good today :)

Tuesday24 08-14-2011 08:36 AM

Hi Classmates.

I too missed the meteor shower but heard people talking about seeing it :) The full moon was bright and beautiful. When I was a child I was fascinated by the moon. I always thought it "followed me" if I was in the car. I too have lost touch with the simple things in life. Last night when I looked up at it I realized that it had never left me- and that we all share the same moon. Wonderful feeling.

Paddy- you are ALWAYS welcome here. Glad you are feeling better about it this time.

:grouphug:

Buelah 08-14-2011 08:37 AM

Hello Every one!

It is quiet here this weekend, but I'm hoping that means every one is having a good, sober weekend and too busy to be on the computer.

Streamwader....where are you?

Any word from Cherry & Violet?

It's kind of a rainy day here, but over the years, I've really learned to enjoy the rainy days. That means I get to sit around in my cotton comfies and get caught up inside.

The thought of a cocktail ran through my head more than once this weekend. But, I always ask myself would I like one? Answer, he** yes. Then I ask myself will I like the feeling of regreat. Answer, he** no. So..somewhat of an easy decision.

Tomorrow morning I'm picking up my Mom and taking her to Mackinac City for a few nights. We were going to go camping, but the state campgrounds are packed with all the families doing the last hurrah before the kids go back to school. So, we'll do that in September, and for now enjoy some time just kicking back along the Straits. Hubby is really shorthanded at work, so our last motorcycle trip might be our last trip for a while. Plus his boss being out with the open heart surgery recovery. So, he told me to take Mom out of a town. I'm very lucky he appreciates my Mom.

Raquell and Pumpkin Soup - I agree with the taking it slowly and not looking too far ahead. Keeping it simple. I think that is the case in life in general. It's not something to be rushed through. There is too much to appreciate and enjoy, so why make it go by fast. Also, Raquell, I've always said, if we all threw our troubles into a big pile, most of us would rather take ours back. They don't look so bad when you see what others are going through. I do not go to meetings, but if I felt myself needing something more, I wouldn't hesitate to go. Being around others is therapy. We have a very good network of friends and family, so I think that is helping me with staying sober. Keeping me in check.

Instant and Classical - good to use the moon as a reminder of sobriety. I love the night sky. So many people go in and hibernate at night and miss one of the most spectacular times of a 24 hour period. The stars are a beautiful reminder of all those I love that may be looking at those same stars. You might not be able to see the same flowers I do, or the same trees, but those stars are always the same stars.

Tuesday and Classical - you can see how much my Mom is a big part of my life. So, when you speak of missing your Mom, my heart aches. I know some day I will have to face that loss. I never take a moment for granted that I get to spend with her. We all know the same saying, better to have loved and lost, then to have not loved at all. Doesn't make it a whole lot easier, but it makes you smile knowing that you were able to share a big part of your life with someone so wonderful.

Well, I have to finish up some laundry, and get packing.

I wish every one a day of peace. If you are struggling, remember we are all here rooting you on. You can make it another day.

Hugs and love.