Notices

Class of June 2011 Part Two

Old 06-28-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Boy, did I just dodge the bullet. My hubby (who doesn't know of my quest) just came home, and said "I was just at Jon's and he said they have an 18 pack of BudLight and they have 12 regular and 6 with the Lime, and I know you like them". And I'm thinking "oh crap...he bought a case". But, thankfully, he was just telling me. But, could I feel my mouth salivating. If I'm going to have a beer I love the fu-fu beers. Stella, Oberon (Kalamzoo beer), lime beers....

What was even a bigger killer was earlier this week, he did a side job at a local party store, and said "hey, I got something for you". Oh crap...a bottle of Crown. Ugh!!! But, that is the bottle that's in my cupboard about to find a new home this weekend.

My husband is a super guy....but, he's testing me and has no clue he is.

Happy Day 3, Chimp!
Old 06-28-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

wow i didnt' know it got that hot up there. we get 105 to 110 at least every day and summer just started. no outside activities for me! lol I hope it cools down where y'all are. Heck, we have only had 3 inches of rain so far this year~~I think alot of people could use some rain too.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Leo - you guys in TX are used to this for sure! I'm actually excited for the heat we had such an awful Spring.

Buelah - good dodge! You are my hero - keep strong!
Old 06-28-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

We are at a balmy 68 degrees here in Michigan! Feels like fall. Kind of refreshing actually!
Old 06-28-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Squishy - Harbor Springs is a beautiful area. The entire west side of the state is. You were looking to have time spent there - hope you enjoyed it!
Old 06-28-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I mean "lucky", not "looking". Woops! Fuzzy brain!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

How is it that Harbor Springs comes up here and now? I have been thinking about that area a lot the past couple days.

I have spent a lot of time in the Petosky/Harbor Springs area. The Maple River, just north of there is my favorite place in the world to wade. And I have fished in a lot of places. I am considering traveling there this week end and am fairly giddy with excitement.

There will be a lot of temptations. Bob's Place in Alanson, Park Grill Cafe in Petosky, The Chartroom on the docks of Harbor Springs and Leggs Inn over looking Lake Michigan. All of them wonderful places and old haunts.

I can't hide in this house forever. Just now I've made the decision, I'm gonna go. The quiet pleasure I shall enjoy standing in that river will certainly out way any desire to stop and drink.

I'm sure it will be 70 degrees and dry. Even if it rains. I'm gonna go.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Truly some of the most beautiful spots in Michigan are along the west side. From Manstee, all the way through the Leelenau to St. Ignace.

And Legs Inn - every one thinks it's a strip joint - it's not. It's awesome - and the inside is fabulous, and outside "courtyard" overlooking the lake is breathtaking.

We are avid canoeists, and fell in love with the Manistee River. We log 84 miles each time in both the Spring and Fall nearly every year. Canoe/camping. And we've been doing that for over 10 years.

I agree - there are so many places that are wonderful where I've had my share of cocktails - but I don't want to avoid them, as I've also had some wonderful times there and met some fabulous people. I just have to change what I do when I'm there.

We've been talking about heading to the St. Ignace area on the motorcycles this weekend to stay with friends. She is a major wine drinker...but I love her dearly, so I want to see her. I know I can do it, but it won't be easy. But, a great ride north two-tracking it on the motorcycles would be super!

Sorry, rambling. But, I'm excited that you are considering a small trip. It's your celebration for your achievement so far! Best kind of celebration - and one you'll be able to remember and feel good about!

And remember, a rainy day wading in the river is better than a good day at work!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry if I missed it, but have you thought about telling your husband Buelah?

D
Old 06-28-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Day one take four

Well, my headache is still there as a reminder. Looking forward to tomorrow. Thank you all for all your encouragement to try again.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hey Class - I tried to post earlier today but it got lost in the black hole somewhere. Glad to hear you guys are doing well, staying positive and strong.

Leo - I'm in Dallas. Hot hot hot! Bring on some rain.

All is well here, day 23 and I'm really enjoying my boring simple life. It's calm, clear, predictable, and pleasant. I do my household tasks, look for a job (let's hope something comes my way soon) play with my dog, read SR and go to bed for a good night's sleep. The days were so long at first, but they seem shorter now which is a great thing!

Tomorrow I go for my Dr. appt to discuss the past few years of my drinking and get my blood work, etc done. This appointment is a long time coming (it's been 3 years) and I fear the worst (liver damage), but am in a place where I can deal with whatever the outcome. I feel great so hopefully I will be ok. I would appreciate any good, positive vibes you guys could send my way!!! For over a year I obsessed about dying, my health, how my husband would tell people I died from alcohol problems, etc etc etc. Now, I feel like whatever it may be, I can handle it. Love sobriety.

And I appreciate my class and love reading all of your posts. Hope everyone is has a great night - peace and love Juners!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Long days

I thought that was interesting what you said about the early days of your sobriety seemed long. I can relate to that feeling.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:06 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

sweetnovember - I'm glad that you are here and working hard. And yes, I counted the minutes to go to bed those first few days, even though I was without detox issues. I have lived with getting through each day and that day only, which seems to work well for me, but those first few days were LONG. I guess I was in such a fog every day that I had really lost my sense of time and it all fused together into one big oblivion. After about 2 weeks it got better.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi All,

It is a wonderful world reading of Michigan, Colorado (I think - CO?) and Texas. I spent some considerable time yesterday explaining the finer points of baseball to my step-son. Well, until he started telling me what singles and doubles were. Not bad for a seven
year old English lad!

So, it is just turned 3 and I am awake lying in bed with my gorgeous lass asleep beside me. I am awake because my body feels yuck! I have been sober before and can not ever remember it being like this. I moved in with this girl three months ago and I shudder to think how much we drunk! I told her after three weeks together I was an alcoholic and all this time after she has done everything to support me. Well, when i finally admitted that i was powerless and embarked on the road to sobriety. This is love 'in sickness and in health'.

So, I have a pint of sparkly water beside me, a gently
snoring girl the other side and though my
body is clearly missing the alcohol, I am Day 4 sober and I am very, very grateful!

Squishy and Buelah, many thanks for your words: each day at a time.

To you all: each of us deserves happiness, the first drink isn't worth it!

Regards,

Chimp!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Bratnik,
I guess that just shows we are passing the time fast but not really living just hiding.
(when we drink)
Old 06-28-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Day two was a success! Though much more of a challenge than day one. But man it feels good knowing that I am actually tackling this, one day at a time.

Good night everyone
Old 06-28-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Day 4 (again) complete and I feel pretty good, no cravings or at least very little. I even got my boat running this evening for the first time in 3-4 years. I'll be taking my oldest out fishing one of these nights.

I hope everybody is having good day and an even better one tomorrow.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hello my classmates of June 2011,

well, I posted back in my thread that I relapsed again last week. Back on Day 4 and doing okay-ish. I had the appointment with an outpatient therapy facility yesterday. Second one, in fact. They have a free place for me as soon as the paperwork went through the pension fund (you have to file papers here and they have to agree and pay therapy and the like over here...), but that's likely going to be 4 weeks or possibly more.

Until then, we agreed that I'll be there for weekly group meetings with other patients waiting for their "okay". I hope having made this commitment will help me a bit in the tough times... Definitely don't want to waste that opportunity.

Stay strong, everyone!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:04 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Wow, what a difference a day makes...Day # 20 was smooth sailing.

I hope I'm over the anxiety/depression hump...will post more tomorrow....
Old 06-28-2011, 11:39 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Day 4 begins. It is 07.35 here in south-east England and is a comfortable warm outside. I feel strong this morning, which is good because I have lots to do over the coming week. I have noticed in sobriety that, for me, it does not take long for speech and thought to speed up and my sobriety to come through for me in daily life. It is odd because when I am sober, I become the man I want to be and when I am drunk, I am dreaming of the man I want to be. As T.E. Lawrence said, Lawrence of Arabia, 'The dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they live their dreams. This I did.' And this I also will if I take each day at a time and stay sober.

Enjoy your day people,

Chimp!