Notices

Class of June 2011 Part Two

Old 06-29-2011, 02:17 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Smile

[QUOTE=leo21;3016189]"Give us this day our daily thread"

I love that quote Leo. Day 5 for me and my 4th meeting though by coming to SR I feel like Im having lots of meetings, its great. Had coffee today with 2 others from a meeting. I remember I use to wonder what kind of boring people went to coffee shops! Today I was quite proud to be one of them and now I may get to visit all the cafes I never would have! They both gave me great inspiration and said to just take it easy, dont change anything too fast wait until after 90 days. Hey I think I can manage that!
Good luck to you all Im so glad to be here.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:34 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi all.

Not got alot to say this morning but all is well.

I did want to say to Bluelah though - as Dee said - have you not considered telling your hubby? My bet is that he will have noticed you are not drinking. Thing is if you dont tell him all sorts of things could be going through his mind. He might think you are pregnant? Sorry if this is inappropriate ive just heard alot of women say that when they have stopped and not told people the real reason this is what is often presumed.

My ex never used to comment on when I was drinking and when I was not. I know he noticed but he was so used to me either being drunk or swearing off, going a few days and then getting drunk again he never said anything at all unless I brought it up.

Its a lovely day today for me and Chimp in the South of UK. My daughters prom tonight so im grateful to be able to provide lifts and take lots of photos without wanting to rush back to get back to drinking.

PS x
Old 06-29-2011, 02:49 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Very happy today. Instead of thinking I want a drink I'm thinking only a drink can mess this up!

I'm so happy that I made the decision to give it up completely rather than trying to compromise at the half way house.

Wondering what I should do on my Birthday on Saturday.

Any ideas anyone?
Old 06-29-2011, 03:00 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
instant

Leo does the fear come on it's own or is it triggered by anything. I guess in there are a few predictable feelings. The one I know well is overconfidence and losing sight of the importance of staying active in my recovery. How active is active and how much less is balance or slipping ?????

In any event we have the weather sorted- now we can work on ourselves (LOL)
Old 06-29-2011, 03:11 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
instant

Hope you have a good one on Saturday kopfan. How do we celebrate anything now we are sober- big challenge.

I have never been big on celebrating birthdays but usually alcohol has been part of the picture. I was getting ahead of myself and thinking that the sobriety date would be very special when it comes around and I am still sober.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:36 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Beautiful Pumpkin isn't it? Still hot but with slightly more breeze.

Kopfan, seeing as Liverpool aren't playing, why not hit the Welsh hills and head into Snowdonia or North Wales? Assuming your in Liverpool!

Funny, I wrote this morning that my thought is becoming quicker. Well, about two hours ago my speed of thought stopped me smashing into the back of a landrover that had stopped suddenly. It was the nearest prang I have ever had (car on car anyway) and my reactions had to be quick and they were, scarily quick! I believe that that is my Higher Power telling me that if I do not have that first drink, then I am on the right track!

Take care all!

Chimp!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:11 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Day two begins. My headache is gone. I need to throw out or give away the house stock. Too easy to slip up with that here right now.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:31 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Oh yeah. Get it gone. Too easy to reach for it when it's in the house. How many times I poured a bottle of vodka away the morning after I've lost count of LOL.

Get rid of it!

Silly me my Birthday is Friday July 1st!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:54 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with kopfan.
You're a non drinker now - you have no use for it SN

D
Old 06-29-2011, 04:59 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Good Morning Classmates!

Going on Day 6 here. Woke up with a small headache, but way better than a pounding headache and regrets.

Dee and PS - yes, I plan on tellng my hubby tomorrow - Day 7. I wanted to prove to myself that I can do this. I really hope he joins me as he drinks too much beer. It doesn't make him a bad person. Fortunately, he is a happy "drunk". But, I hate to see him destroy his body as well. He came in after mowing, raking, weed whipping for supper and I could tell he had a buzz. All smiling and little more loud than normal (he's kind of a loud guy to begin with). And I just chatted away like any other day. But, without stumbling on my words and thinking, "will you leave the room so I can go hit the bottle again". I know he's noticed, I'm crazy to think he hasn't. But, I'm having a little bit of anxiety over telling him, not because I think he'll react bad, but because it just feels awkward. But, at the same time, I'm very excited. Thank you for asking, and that's why I love being here so much, I appreciate every one's honesty and questions and ideas. We all need it.

Kopfan - I, too, have poured out bottles the next morning saying "not today". And then in the coming days drink a pile of beer, and four days later stop at the booze store again and nab another bottle. Also, do something you love to do for your birthday. I love to ride the tandem with my hubby, ride my motorcycle, camp, canoe...so I will be sure on that day, I do something I love. I have great folks and Mom always makes this 40+ year old gal again the way she does a birthday. Cake, candles, singing. She's a hoot! So, I will be sure to have us go to Mom and Dad's. Treat yourself!

Chimp - it is super how I find my mind working better. I definitely speak better. My mind is processing better already. Can't imagine how it will be later down the road - but, that is another day. Today is most important. And I like what you said -
It is odd because when I am sober, I become the man I want to be and when I am drunk, I am dreaming of the man I want to be.
That really makes sense.

Classical - Day 15 - FANTASTIC! And great words this morning. As I mentioned in a prior post. Life is a roller coaster with our without alcohol. We will always have ups and downs, sadness, happiness, anger, disappointment...and it has nothing to do with alcohol. We aren't sad because we aren't drinking. We are probably just sad at that point in time for some reason. We just have to not use alcohol to make us "happy", which in the long run, will not. I can't even begin to count the amount of times I hit the bottle because I thought I was so happy I had to celebrate, or so down and it was my escape.

Congrats WiggleIn - Squishy and I knew you could do it!

I'll be gone all day, so I won't be able to check back until around 5:00 p.m. Michigan time. But, I hope every one has a good day and stays strong.

Be well!
Old 06-29-2011, 05:30 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
one of many

Hey class, good to see everyone this morning. I'm doing better and better everyday. I'm thankful to my God that I have been given another chance to be blessed by sobriety. It's a funny thing getting sober, it seems like the world changes before your very eyes, and things you hadn't noticed or been aware of become apparent. As the paranoid delusions that have haunted my mind for the past year or so start to fade away, I begin to feel the love of people again. I guess the love never went away, except from my own heart. I don't really care what tomorrow brings, and it may bring much sorrow, as they say the world doesn't stop just because you get sober, but I do have a sense of calmness that life doesn't have to be as scary or dangerous as we make it out to be sometimes. It can be peaceful and content and blessed if we only put down the bottle and the drugs and come back home to God.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:31 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Day 11 and feeling stronger than yesterday. Still very cautious about the situations I put myself in, but feeling good.

A few call outs;

SN - A truly sweet november would be one where a person could say "I am 120+ days sober". Keep at it SN we are all pulling for you.

Schwaber - Got your boat running? Good for you! Any room on it this week end?

Bratnik - 23 days sober and a boring, simple life sounds very, very good to me. Do not discount your achievement or your lifestyle. There people out here that look up to you, and one of them is me.

Chimp - Last week I posted a talk I had with my wife about my sobriety, or lack of it. I am amazed at the support she has offered. That wonderful lass you mentioned has the potential to be your greatest asset in this battle you have engaged. I hope it all goes well for both of you. Which brings me to...

Buelah - Wednesday is your day 6 (Yeah, I'm keeping count on most of you) which means here in the next day or so you will be having a sit down. I think your timing is perfect. You have posted that you believe he suspects but has said nothing. Thats a good sign, I believe. My wife knew I had a problem but said nothing until I did. He has tested you, intentionally or not and you have not caved. (Honestly, your strength has been inspirational. I never could have survived that bottle on the counter.) Your relationship seems solid, he will respect the tenacity you have shown during the past week. Regardless of when or how it happens, it needs to happen. My thoughts will certainly be with you on day 7, as well as today.

Last night I told the wife I wanted to go north this week end to wade the Maple River. I'm a little apprehensive about taking any of my regular fishing partners. So the wife unpacked her waders and offered to come along. Yay! I also suggested she unpack her college cheer leading uniform but that idea didn't fly.

Stay stong everyone.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:03 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I remember a famous actor who said that once he was sober he realised his word was full of choices. That actor has since done many things, starred in huge movies and made thrilling journeys throughout the world.

He realised that his world was full of choices. You reminded me of that Skunkape when you said 'It's a funny thing getting sober, it seems like the world changes before your very eyes, and things you hadn't noticed or been aware of become apparent.' I have just had some amazing news in my working life, which only came about because even at my most drunk, somehwere, somehow, my Higher Power made me realise I had a choice and a few months later the choice I made, after much work and stress to others (family members) has born fruition. My higher power has led me somewhere I desperately wanted to be.

BUT, guess what my first thought was when I heard the news? You are right, tonight I celebrate with a drink! I deserve it. I have made it. I am the man I want to be. Haha, cheers all of you for making me realise what a load of alcoholic nonsense that is. As kopfan has said, Gollum was staring up at me at that point ... tempting me! Well, I laugh at it now and I also know that later on tonight, those thoughts will be back and when they do, I'll be back on here reading all your wonderful and inspirational posts. And I mean all of you.

Time for a cup of tea and more work!

Bless you all!!

Chimp!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hey wonderful classmates! I really look forward to hear how everyone is doing - you guys really help me out with your posts. (do I say that every time? oh well!) Getting ready to go to the Dr. I took my BP this morning and it was fine (113/78) but I know when I get there it's going to be over 140!

Kopfan - I think you most definitely should do something nice for your Bday - you have made a decision to do what it takes to extend your life by many, happy years. Give yourself a treat!

Good for you guys in talking to your spouses. My husband was well aware of my problem, but he is gone all of the time so he didn't really know the extent of my drinking when he was gone. I have been opening up about it. He's not really concerned with exact quantities which makes it easier on me, and has been very supportive. I can't BELIEVE how quickly I can smell the wine/beer on his breath after he has had some (he's one of those "normal" people that has a couple and stops). I am horrified as to how I used to smell in certain situations! How obvious! And I thought I was hiding it. Yeah right.

Chimp - glad you are safe with no car wreck!! phew!

Stream Wader and Schwaber - have a great weekend on the water!

Sweetnovember -get rid of the booze! Those moments of weakness hit - it's all too convenient. I'm amazed at the people that have open liquor in their house. I just couldn't do it. I would have caved early on.
Or that they use it to remind or test themselves. I think that's crazy, but that's just me. Thanks Dee, for telling me to pour out my wine my first day here. I do believe that kept me clean.

Instant and anewdawn - you guys were here before me - I'm so glad you are here.

Raquell - I too, am finding joy in coffee shops. I feel so "grown up" and responsible. (coming from a 39 yr old)

Anyway, more later. I love catching up with you all both here and on the other forum. This support is immeasurable. hugs -

sorry if I left anyone out. I like the shoutouts.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:27 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

My Dad has a huge stock of good red wine in his back room. There must be fifty bottles of the stuff. And about the same amount in white wine.

Then there are bottles of scotch from donkeys years ago. Southern comfort, vodka bottles from different countries he got on his travels. Cans of guinness, stout, sherry - everything you need to make any guest happy when they turn up for xmas.

Needless to say I never drink anything because I always made out I rarely drank. Ha!

But he never drinks. Very rare he drinks alcohol.

So there you have it. There are those for whom it's just an occasional snifter and those.... who'd do their best at emptying it in the shortest time possible.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
It is odd because when I am sober, I become the man I want to be and when I am drunk, I am dreaming of the man I want to be.
This is so profound and I feel like it's directly pointed at me. Super!
Old 06-29-2011, 07:41 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Bratnik~~ I'm not far off.....Wichita Falls!! Yeah a buttload of rain would be real nice, eh?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hello my friends! Well its hard to read the posts on my little blackberry stuck in a financial semiar all day, but i hope you all are doing well!!! I will try to get on tonight to catch up more with all of you. On Day 3 for me and my head is still fuzzy, sore throat and nightsweats and thanks to Streamwader weird dreams of some man trying to save me from the mexican Mafia! And I dont even like tequila!!!Really! But i'm still here and strong. Bound to stay with my june friends as we near the end of the month.

I hope you all are well!!!
Old 06-29-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Classical View Post
NORMALLY, I would want to celebrate with who knows how much alcohol, but this time I want only to celebrate with a clear head and conscience.
Now my question is: why would I want to mess up my mind by getting drunk over and over? How much drunken celebrating is necessary? None!!
I'm all too familiar with the celebration-binge. I'm assuming to be roughly in the same field (composing/music industry) and the freedom it provides me gives me the opportunity to go on these binges without too many consequences....carreer-wise. Mentally, though, it would kill the joy of a new deal as soon as the next morning, when I'd be suffering from the awful post-binge-depression and I'd be blah about everything.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Love, Light & Peace

Hi friends,

Checking in with you all. Finishing up day 5. Temptation was pretty bad today...it's gorgeous out, and on the walk home from work I passed a million people sitting outside at street cafes and biergartens, having drinks and enjoying the sunshine. I stayed strong and walked on by, though I did go get myself some cigarettes. I hadn't had any since the Friday Night Kerfuffle of Doom.

So instead of sitting outside having a drink at a bar, I sat on a bench and had a smoke. Still pretty unhealthy, but I have yet to do anything stupid when I've had too many cigarettes.

Baby steps!

I thought I'd share this Buddhist quotation with you guys:
"Renunciation is not getting rid of the things of this world, but accepting that they pass away." -Aitken Roshi
For me, the time for being a drunken idiot has passed away. It happened, there were good times and bad (more often bad!), and it is time to move on to better things!