Administrator

Talking Class of June 2011 Part Two

Continues from here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2011-a-20.html

Keep up the good work everyone!

D
Old 06-28-2011, 06:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, I made it through day one. Proved myself it IS possible to not give in. Most of my drinking is from habit, so as long as I don't give in to that 5:00 ritual all should go good (easier said than done I am sure).

Couple of things I realized, since not having a day of sobriety in about 5 years...
-I have a wet home, booze all over the place: rum (my weakness), beer, and wine coolers (yum) this was a little tricky to ignore - but I stayed strong!
-about 7-8:00 PM the need to have a drink subsided greatly. Who woulda thought?
-I was extremely moody towards my husband... not sure if that is related to something else (PMS) or not drinking? We'll see how my mood is tonight.
-did not sleep. well... maybe just a little, but mostly just "rested" all night.
-woke up feeling GREAT! Even without a good nights sleep, this feeling of not being hung-over is something to definitely think about when the urge to drink comes.

One hurdle I will have and actually look forward to tackling is how I handle all of the stress that comes with being a step-parent of my 14 year old step-daughter. I am only 11 years older than her for one, and for 2 her mother is a real P.O.S. All arguments between me and my hubby are due to my not knowing how deal with my emotions when it comes to the way bio-mom treats her children. I get furious, even though there is no way to control her actions. Might be something to get counseling over if I cannot figure out how to control my anger and frustration on my own (without the bottle).

Looking forward to day two.
Posting my progress here really makes me feel like I am accomplishing something. Want to thank everyone for all the great support I have found here.... even if I am not posting, I am reading!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"Give us this day our daily thread"

Hello juners! Nice to see this group just growing and moving along! Day #32 here and very thankful for each sober moment, good or bad.

My focus for this week is the vision of keeping my side of the street clean. No worries over what others do or say, but remain true to myself and tend to my own business. If I keep my side of the street clean I won't wake up in the morning with any regrets.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Love, Light & Peace

Hi friends!

Just checking in with everyone! Day 4 went well. Still sober and am feeling good.

This Thursday and Friday is going to be a challenge because I am going on a work trip with some new co-workers. Feeling awkward around people I don't know has always been a huge trigger for me. (But then I'd drink way too much around these new people and feel even more awkward later, albeit for different reasons!) However I am hoping that by acknowledging that it is a potentially problematic situation and approaching it with constructive thoughts, I can change my habits and get through the trip just fine!

My heart goes out to my new classmates and those who have been having a rough couple of days recently. Sending all of us positive vibes!!

Old 06-28-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lady - You will be in my thoughts on Thursday and Friday. I will be pulling for you and hope to hear how much easier it was for you than you are now fearing. I can certainly appreciate the stress a business trip brings and especially the urge to celebraate if it is successful. Stay strong.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WiggleIn View Post
Well, I made it through day one. Proved myself it IS possible to not give in. Most of my drinking is from habit, so as long as I don't give in to that 5:00 ritual all should go good (easier said than done I am sure).

Couple of things I realized, since not having a day of sobriety in about 5 years...
-I have a wet home, booze all over the place: rum (my weakness), beer, and wine coolers (yum) this was a little tricky to ignore - but I stayed strong!
-about 7-8:00 PM the need to have a drink subsided greatly. Who woulda thought?
-I was extremely moody towards my husband... not sure if that is related to something else (PMS) or not drinking? We'll see how my mood is tonight.
-did not sleep. well... maybe just a little, but mostly just "rested" all night.
-woke up feeling GREAT! Even without a good nights sleep, this feeling of not being hung-over is something to definitely think about when the urge to drink comes.

One hurdle I will have and actually look forward to tackling is how I handle all of the stress that comes with being a step-parent of my 14 year old step-daughter. I am only 11 years older than her for one, and for 2 her mother is a real P.O.S. All arguments between me and my hubby are due to my not knowing how deal with my emotions when it comes to the way bio-mom treats her children. I get furious, even though there is no way to control her actions. Might be something to get counseling over if I cannot figure out how to control my anger and frustration on my own (without the bottle).

Looking forward to day two.
Posting my progress here really makes me feel like I am accomplishing something. Want to thank everyone for all the great support I have found here.... even if I am not posting, I am reading!
Yeah! You and me Wiggle - 5pm on. Day 2 here we are! Keep up the good work just for today. :-)
Old 06-28-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 8, feeling good, but facing my first real challenge today. Got a BBQ with some friends. They won't be drinking much as they're all working but I'm sure I'll be tempted to. Feel pretty confident that I won't slip though.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank goodness our class is still going! I'm glad to see part 2 emerge. WHEW :-) Stay strong everyone on this Tuesday.

I'm trying to review budget information and I'm not going to lie, the fuziness is a bit of an interference...Of course finance is boring as hell to begin with anyway! Part of the reason I think I would drink. I had to take this job (I used to be in Marketing and IT) or face unemployment and I can't with two small children. I dread coming here every day, but like many of you we don't have very many employment options these days do we...

So here we are and every day will get easier. I really hope I don't start a love affair with food! I need healthy options to take care of the cravings...
Old 06-28-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Squishy - I think satisfying cravings is such a common thing for all of us. Our bodies are truly trying to adapt what the alcohol did for it (even though not good). From what I've read on this site from others, it sure is common. But, the best way to go about taking care of those cravings, is to put something healthy in your body. If you like fruit, have fruit on hand. Nuts, dried fruits, popcorn, anything. Try to stay away from sugar if you can - but, if you like sweets go for natural sugars. I always have almonds and dried fruit in my cabinets and lots of fresh fruit. About 2-3 times/week I cut up the fruit and toss it in the fridge. If I don't, I'll open the fridge or see it on the counter with the peel on it and think "no thanks". But, if it's consumption ready, I head right to it. Rice cakes, rice cakes. Styrofoam, styrofoam! But, they have improved those, too. Put a little peanut butter on them (otherwise it's like eating air). Just find something healthy you really like. Don't worry about the cost, as you would have been spending that on alcohol any way. Your health and well being has no price.

I've found grazing all day long helps, too. That way I just don't go on a major food binge. But, I am with Streamwader....carrots are just not in that routine...yet.

Then again, this is coming from the gal that loved that can of Pringles this week. But, boy were they yummy!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Its funny Buelah, I'm a healthy nut for sure! I don't like sweets thank goodness, but show me a pile of salt and I will jump! I always make sure really good food is in my house - no junk food or sodas at all. I think when I get the cravings, maybe I just need to get out and run or something. I already graze all day long! hehe
Old 06-28-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are definitely like me - salt. Give me a bag of pretzels or some homemade salsa and chips and look out! Crumbs are flying every where!!! It is crazy how nutso the cravings have gotten. But, it does make sense. Just like cattle we are, grazing away!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Saki - you'll be fine. We'll all be here rooting you on!!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day 3 sober and it is a fine thing. There have been one or two moments of temptation today but they were nothing serious and my mind soon let them pass. I am tired but happy and thoroughly looking forward Day 4!

Chimp!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
instant

wow. we've graduated to the support thread section !! Thanks Dee.

I seemed to have turned some sort of corner. After six weeks apart from my weekend drama- my thoughts are less dominated by obsessional alcohol/ alcohol recovery thoughts.

The longest period of sobriety I have had is 6 months four or so years ago.

............................Meet doubt

Ok you've had a bit of a run. who are you kidding?
You've slipped up before- how can you be sure you won't again- why bother?
People seem to relapse all the time, what makes you so good?
How do you know you won't be blindsided? what makes you so special?
Old 06-28-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Let's keep moving Chimp :-) I'm on Day 2. Just making it through the day today, just for today.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was thinking about something that I had gone through before in early recovery and still experience here and there. It's fear. Fear of failing and slipping, fear of the unknown, fear of something just around the corner that will cause me to throw up my hands and say what the heck.

FEAR

False
Evidence
Appearing
Real

When I remember to look at that word from this perspective, I feel somewhat at ease. I realize I shouldn't worry about the next couple of hours in my life or if I will slip up this coming weekend cause it's just not there yet. It FEELS real, yet it's not real.

Don't let FEAR wiggle too deep into your thoughts today, friends.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

2)
All the acronyms on this thread have been so helpful; they seem to give one pause, which is a handy little tool to have in our possession! It is really hot here in CO. today, and I have to work outside all day! I get to hang out with the kiddo for a couple hours from now until about 5:30, so at least I'll avoid the scorching part of the day. I am going to be brief again today as I really need to focus on getting a shower and cooling off, but I will also stay focused on staying away from the caca.

Have a great day all!

PN
Old 06-28-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PapaNico View Post
2)
All the acronyms on this thread have been so helpful; they seem to give one pause, which is a handy little tool to have in our possession! It is really hot here in CO. today, and I have to work outside all day! I get to hang out with the kiddo for a couple hours from now until about 5:30, so at least I'll avoid the scorching part of the day. I am going to be brief again today as I really need to focus on getting a shower and cooling off, but I will also stay focused on staying away from the caca.

Have a great day all!

PN
PapaNico - I too am in CO and it is super hot today! I'm lucky to work inside all day, but I'm ready to head out into that heat. WHEW Love your name, keep going and stay strong even in the heat!
Old 06-28-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

How hot is it over there in CO?
Old 06-28-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Leo - 98 today and probably over 100 next couple of days...